Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Paper Lion posted:

You're kind of spergin' here.

Yeah, I know, I'm done sperging now.

For a second there I was becoming the kind of person who tries to map out all the Zelda games in chronological order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I know, I'm done sperging now.

For a second there I was becoming the kind of person who tries to map out all the Zelda games in chronological order.

That official Nintendo timeline probably ruined your poo poo didn't it?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Westerners tend to forget that Japanese art has a for-real ancient tradition of depicting "realistic" phenomena which are actually meant to be purely symbolic (e.g. the Wing Zero Custom doesn't really have feathers.)

I like to read the Dark History sequence as an illustration of the unchanging nature of human conflict, and as a cool little in-joke for the fans, but I can't say I've ever been tempted to take it literally.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 30, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

That official Nintendo timeline probably ruined your poo poo didn't it?

Not really, I'm not very big into Zelda. They finally released the official timeline?

The other day I just learned that the Pokemon games don't take place in the order of their release and that just blew my mind. Like, woah, dude.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gammatron 64 posted:

They finally released the official timeline?

They did, and Zelda fans proceeded to flip their poo poo cause it makes no sense.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bimmi posted:

Westerners tend to forget that Japanese art has a for-real ancient tradition of depicting "realistic" phenomena which are actually meant to be purely symbolic (e.g. the Wing Zero Custom doesn't really have feathers.)

This is hardly unique to Japan, its just that western art has ideological dividers between the kind of works that do this and the kind of work Gundam is.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Point being that it's a different approach to depicting reality than most people are used to, and being literal-minded about that sort of thing kind of misses the point.

I haven't noticed it too commonly done in Gundam works actually, though Tomino's done his fair share and I recall it crops up quite a bit in G as well.

And I actually wonder where the visual gag in Endless Waltz came from, given that Wing seems like the last show I'd expect to draw on that sort of dreamlike imagery, and I've never quite managed to grasp what they were really getting at with all the chicken feathers.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 1, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Point being that it's a different approach to depicting reality than most people are used to, and being literal-minded about that sort of thing kind of misses the point.

I haven't noticed it too commonly done in Gundam works actually, though Tomino's done his fair share and I recall it crops up quite a bit in G as well.

And I actually wonder where the visual gag in Endless Waltz came from, given that Wing seems like the last show I'd expect to draw on that sort of dreamlike imagery, and I've never quite managed to grasp what they were really getting at with all the chicken feathers.

To further underline the Wing Zero as an angelic 'hero' suit, I guess (which was already present in the original show - see its equal and opposite, the demonic Epyon). Simple as that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Man, Gundam Wing runs on dream logic from start to finish.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Gundam Wing runs on dream logic from start to finish.

"Dream logic" is not the same as "stupid logic," but I'll admit that I've never managed to make it through an entire episode of Wing so I will take your word for it (still not going to watch it)

Darth Walrus posted:

To further underline the Wing Zero as an angelic 'hero' suit, I guess (which was already present in the original show - see its equal and opposite, the demonic Epyon). Simple as that.

Because, as all 3rd-graders know, angels are made of feathers. Pretty much took it for something as basic and silly as that. Still a pretty enough shot though, so I can't hate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

"Dream logic" is not the same as "stupid logic," but I'll admit that I've never managed to make it through an entire episode of Wing so I will take your word for it (still not going to watch it)

I'm just saying this is the same show where a character's robot inexplicably starts acting on its own out of friendship. The show acts on its own logic both visually and plot-wise and doesn't care if it is consistent or sensible. Trowa wears a giant half-mask on his Gundam? Why? Because plot. Zech's mask shatters right when he comes to a personal revelation? Why? Because gently caress you, that's why, it looks neat.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 1, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just saying this is the same show where a character's robot inexplicably starts acting on its own out of friendship.

Hah, really? Maybe I owe Wing a second look (probably not). The mask shattering fits the "symbolic reality" thing to a tee, though.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I always just thought the giant bird wings was because it was gundam "wing" and EW just amped up the theme of the original suits to high degrees.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I remember I spent a whole day debating an overall Turn A timeline with some friends. I think we agreed on UC > AW (fairly obvious) > AC (wing has a lot of weird tech inconsistencies, like they have mobile suits and colonies and complex AI systems but a lot of the other tech you see in the show is weirdly old-timey looking which gives credence to a late post-apocalyptic setting) > ~war never happened ever again~ > FC.

The most solid thing you can likely agree on is FC being last in the timeline, due to the crazy advanced technology on display in that show. The mobile trace system is impressive enough, but the colonies are incredibly complex, the infrastructure required to build ropes around the entire Earth is immense, The God Gundam is loving powerful enough to achieve escape velocity and the existence of DG cells (which are likely a predecessor of the nanomachines the Turn Types use to repair themselves) and how they actually created a sentient, living machine (the Turn A is also implied to have a degree of sentience in the novels). 00 and SEED and AGE don't get included because gently caress You.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's all really dumb and I just don't take it literally

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gammatron 64 posted:

It might be cool to see a show with Turn A like designs, evolved post-human newtypes, and crazy poo poo like FTL, Dyson Spheres and perhaps honest to God space aliens. That might be a little too weird and strays way too far from the formula, though, which is why they probably haven't done it.

:eng101: Gundam has had a Dyson Sphere, actually - the global solar collector ring in 00. The usual Dyson "shell" concept's actually a misunderstanding from the original story that even Dyson recognised was pretty much impossible on a mechanical level. Though, granted, it was set up around the Earth instead of the sun, but it still worked on the same principle.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does anyone have a place I could get some theatrical Gundam posters? Char's Counter attack, MSG Trilogy, or Turn A preferrably

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-12-01/megahouse-announces-results-of-gundam-figure-poll

So I think there might have been some trolling in this poll by a figure company. At least, that's what I want to believe considering Kio's position.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
AGE was a bomb everywhere and not inexplicably popular like Seed, so probably.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-12-01/megahouse-announces-results-of-gundam-figure-poll

So I think there might have been some trolling in this poll by a figure company. At least, that's what I want to believe considering Kio's position.

No, that is completely a troll list. Shinn and Cagalli getting the highest SEED ranking, and Kio Asuno ranking at all, are pretty clearly the result of another of the internet poll antics.

This has been done before. It's why the first AGE boxset's most popular character was the old grandpa dude, because someone on the Japanese internet organized a mass spamming of votes for him.

Tieria and Puru are probably at least semi legitimate though. Tieria was the most popular 00 dude and Puru is Puru and Japan is Japan.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 1, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I could see Graham being 3rd, that seems pretty legit.

At least I hope so because graham was loving awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I could see Graham being 3rd, that seems pretty legit.

At least I hope so because graham was loving awesome.

Graham doesn't rank very high on popularity charts, so he's probably some weird joke submission too.

Also noticeably missing are a lot of UC characters, which is another clear sign.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mr Bushido turned Graham into a joke here, I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened in Japan.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'm not convinced it's trolling. There was a poll a while back for what Megaman characters would you like to see made into D-arts figures, and two of the three winners were Iris from X4 and Ciel from MMZ.

I just think Japan has crap taste.

Edit: \/\/\/ - I sure as hell don't want her on my shelf, ESPECIALLY when other choices included Giga Armor X and Vile's Ride Armor.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 1, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ciel is a great character what is wrong with you. :colbert:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can see Tieria as being a legit top 5 choice considering he's a canon bishounen and hot girl at the same time. Also Mr Bushido is obviously a different character figure wise from Graham. :colbert:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Eej posted:

I can see Tieria as being a legit top 5 choice considering he's a canon bishounen and hot girl at the same time. Also Mr Bushido is obviously a different character figure wise from Graham. :colbert:

It's true, he's a lot cheaper to produce thanks to the lack of samurai clothes, hell even AwoT is cheaper since you just paint some pink on his face for a scar.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm not convinced it's trolling. There was a poll a while back for what Megaman characters would you like to see made into D-arts figures, and two of the three winners were Iris from X4 and Ciel from MMZ.

I just think Japan has crap taste.

Edit: \/\/\/ - I sure as hell don't want her on my shelf, ESPECIALLY when other choices included Giga Armor X and Vile's Ride Armor.

That was trolling too though. I mean, it certainly was when I voted for both of them and also Yet Another Zero.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Mr Bushido turned Graham into a joke here, I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened in Japan.

I get the feeling Graham is a joke we enjoy but Japan doesn't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If they were doing joke votes, why didn't Patrick rank? :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

If they were doing joke votes, why didn't Patrick rank? :colbert:

Because people unironically like Patrick. I mean people unironically like Shin and Cagalli too but Patrick got a much better showing plotwise then they did. Patrick is kind of the opposite. It's pretty likely he survived the series because of the fan following he got.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 2, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Because people unironically like Patrick. I mean people unironically like Shin and Cagalli too but Patrick got a much better showing plotwise then they did. Patrick is kind of the opposite. It's pretty likely he survived the series because of the fan following he got.

He also got the best ending :unsmith:. Patrick and Graham should have had a spin off instead of the 00 movie. It's kind of a shame that the 00 universe seems pretty well concluded like Wing's universe basically is. I really wouldn't mind seeing another series in the 00 universe, though I guess it would have to be pre-CB, which could actually be really interesting if it focused on the three world powers. I just want another series on par with 00 season 1, really.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 2, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

chumbler posted:

He also got the best ending :unsmith:. Patrick and Graham should have had a spin off instead of the 00 movie. It's kind of a shame that the 00 universe seems pretty well concluded like Wing's universe basically is. I really wouldn't mind seeing another series in the 00 universe, though I guess it would have to be pre-CB, which could actually be really interesting if it focused on the three world powers. I just want another series on par with 00 season 1, really.

The main plotline is concluded, but there's no reason why there couldn't be a really-far future deep-space colonization story set after 00. The only problem with that is how you would get any conflict out of it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What we need is a prequel series that is just 50 episodes of Aeolia getting inspired by the most random of things.

"Hmm, what should I do to give my Gundams an ace in the hole so I can extend the conflict?"
*a firetruck zooms by*
"THAT'S IT"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

What we need is a prequel series that is just 50 episodes of Aeolia getting inspired by the most random of things.

"Hmm, what should I do to give my Gundams an ace in the hole so I can extend the conflict?"
*a firetruck zooms by*
"THAT'S IT"

"OK, so what should I call it now that I have it done?"

*Knight Rider rerun comes on TV*

"Done."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It should also be noted that neither Tieria nor Graham have figs, lending some legitimacy to that poll.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: wrong.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The main plotline is concluded, but there's no reason why there couldn't be a really-far future deep-space colonization story set after 00. The only problem with that is how you would get any conflict out of it.

I'd love to see a series like this, with Turn-A style conflict revolving around preventing a war from breaking out following a first contact scenario with an alien race by trying to broker peace between both sides using shielded and FTL capable mechs before the border conflicts and small skirmishes turn in to a full scale war.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I like Shinn and Cagalli.

Anyways back on topic, that thread can't be real especially with Kira on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I like Shinn and Cagalli.

Anyways back on topic, that thread can't be real especially with Kira on the bottom.

Kira probably got a bunch of no-trolling votes. I doubt he would have won but he's probably on there based on the strength of his own popularity. (I think Puru and Tieria are at least somewhat the same as well, and Heero/Duo probably are too.)

It's worth remembering that Puru's voice actress died recently and Unicorn has a lot of Puru stuff so she's probably ripe for a popularity resugence even ignoring otaku weirdness about young girls.

• Locked thread