Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dominoes posted:

What do the letters above the signal bars on the Nexus 5 mean? I think it's referring to mobile data signal strength, with 'G' being little-no data, 'H' being better, and 'E' (excellent?) being even better.

G:GPRS (really bad)
E: EDGE (pretty drat bad, 2G)
H: HDSPA/HSPA+ (2nd best thing after LTE)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dominoes posted:

What do the letters above the signal bars on the Nexus 5 mean? I think it's referring to mobile data signal strength, with 'G' being little-no data, 'H' being better, and 'E' (excellent?) being even better.

G is GPRS aka bad.
E is EDGE aka almost as bad.
H is HSPA which is good.
LTE is LTE which is best!

e:fb

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I was hoping that the Nexus5 A2DP bluetooth feature where it ties the headset volume to the phone volume was a bug that would get squashed, and then I noticed that my 4.4 Nexus 7 FHD has it too.

What a stupid feature. It works better on the N7 than the N5, but it's still lovely.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

G:GPRS (it's an emergency but I still need to tell someone they're wrong on the internet)
E: EDGE (fine for browsing the internet, bad posting, email, etc)
H: HDSPA/HSPA+ (I need Netflix Right loving Now)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

G:GPRS (it's an emergency but I still need to tell someone they're wrong on the internet)
E: EDGE (fine for browsing the internet, bad posting, email, etc)
H: HDSPA/HSPA+ (I need Netflix Right loving Now)

Edge is not "fine" for browsing the internet, it's barely faster than dialup.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can also see "3G", which means you're on UMTS.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

You can also see "3G", which means you're on UMTS.

UMTS might also be called WCDMA in some places.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

UMTS might also be called WCDMA in some places.
Right. But I was mostly just talking about what can show up on the icon. Everyone was listing them and they all left out "3G". I don't think the US uses UMTS much, so that's probably why.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
AT&T and T-Mobile use it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tunga posted:

This needs photos!

MacGyver level: hobo

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

G is GPRS aka bad.
E is EDGE aka almost as bad.
H is HSPA which is good.
LTE is LTE which is best!

e:fb

What if there's no letter, just the signal bars?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Your data connection is gone. If that happens and doesn't come back shortly, you have either to cycle airplane mode or call up *#*#4636#*#* and go into Phone Information, which also retriggers it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Your data connection is gone. If that happens and doesn't come back shortly, you have either to cycle airplane mode or call up *#*#4636#*#* and go into Phone Information, which also retriggers it.

I think some carrier phones also don't bother showing stuff other than 3G or 4G.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

OddObserver posted:

I think some carrier phones also don't bother showing stuff other than 3G or 4G.

Case in point, Android 4.4 on the Nexus 5 has it specifically hardcoded that on Sprint, anything that's not LTE is labeled 3G, even if you're on slow-rear end 1xRTT.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also if you're on Wi-Fi you won't get a data speed indicator.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'm not sure which thread to put this in:

If I buy a Moto X off-contract direct from the Motorola website and activate it on AT&T, will I get the Android 4.4 update OTA from AT&T? If not, will I be able to load that myself?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just went to plug in my phone and noticed that the end of the cable was quite warm, almost hot. I hadn't used it since the morning, and it had been plugged into the wall wart for at least six hours. What would cause this, and is it safe to plug my phone into this cord? I'm (at least temporarily) using a different cord.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm not sure which thread to put this in:

If I buy a Moto X off-contract direct from the Motorola website and activate it on AT&T, will I get the Android 4.4 update OTA from AT&T? If not, will I be able to load that myself?

Android update releases are dependant on what carrier the phone is branded to.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

hooah posted:

I just went to plug in my phone and noticed that the end of the cable was quite warm, almost hot. I hadn't used it since the morning, and it had been plugged into the wall wart for at least six hours. What would cause this, and is it safe to plug my phone into this cord? I'm (at least temporarily) using a different cord.
Possibly a wire break.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Android update releases are dependant on what carrier the phone is branded to.

And since an unlocked X bought straight from Motorola is not branded to any carrier, you'll get your updates direct from Motorola. It's the best position to be in, at least in terms of actually getting updates and getting them in a timely manner.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

kitten smoothie posted:

And since an unlocked X bought straight from Motorola is not branded to any carrier, you'll get your updates direct from Motorola. It's the best position to be in, at least in terms of actually getting updates and getting them in a timely manner.

Yes, but the downside is that unlocked phones are typically never subsidized :( in my opinion, it's not worth the price, but to each his own!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Only the moto x dev edition will be unbranded. All of the rest will be branded and all but the tmo version are even carrier locked. I believe the off contract moto x will even have bloatware joy!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Yes, but the downside is that unlocked phones are typically never subsidized :( in my opinion, it's not worth the price, but to each his own!

It's going to be $350 this Monday

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

It's going to be $350 this Monday

All moto x are 150 off starting at 8am central. I think it will be very limited quantities so if you want one go to motomaker and get your build all set up amd ready at the checkout page before 8 so you can check out right away. Given history (afterall this is Google now) I'll bet they will be sold out bu 9am central at the latest and the att and verizon will probably be sold out in just minutes.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I paid full retail for the Dev Edition + Moto Care (3 replacements for a small fee if I break it) and it wasn't cheap. But better than F5'ing all morning only to be disappointed on Cyber Monday.

The X is awesome, and if you can snag a Dev edition for $399, that's the steal of the century (that is, if the Nexus 5 isn't your fancy, of course). The N5 wasn't all that IMO. The X just makes sense.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Stick100 posted:

Only the moto x dev edition will be unbranded. All of the rest will be branded and all but the tmo version are even carrier locked. I believe the off contract moto x will even have bloatware joy!

I was planning to customize and buy an off contract tmo version (which has no branding or bloatware) for use with my AT&T service but I would like to be able to get the most timely Android updates directly from Moto. Do I need to step up to the Developer Edition for that?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Has anyone tried rigging their magnetic nexus charger to their car?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So the power button on my N5 is loose and rattling, I can hear it when I tap the top right area of the phone. I reported this to Google Play support to try and find out if it's a known issue or intended or something wrong with my specific device. Without even asking for it, they instantly plan out an RMA for me and are shipping a new phone priority.

I had an iPhone 4 ages ago I had to RMA because of the home button sticking, and it took a week or more of fighting to get an RMA, so this really took me by surprise.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Parker Lewis posted:

I was planning to customize and buy an off contract tmo version (which has no branding or bloatware) for use with my AT&T service but I would like to be able to get the most timely Android updates directly from Moto. Do I need to step up to the Developer Edition for that?

I've been getting very mixed information on whether the t-mobile moto x is carrier locked or not. The online rep I asked said it was but then she didn't seem to know much about anything so I can't really trust that source. Can anyone with a t-mobile moto x confirm or refute?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

So the power button on my N5 is loose and rattling, I can hear it when I tap the top right area of the phone. I reported this to Google Play support to try and find out if it's a known issue or intended or something wrong with my specific device. Without even asking for it, they instantly plan out an RMA for me and are shipping a new phone priority.

Brilliant, I am having the same issue. I don't hear it much inside of the Diztronic case but hey that's one less thing to worry about down the road.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Brilliant, I am having the same issue. I don't hear it much inside of the Diztronic case but hey that's one less thing to worry about down the road.

Me too, I have a Diztronic case. I even said that in my email, how it still worked right now but I was worried it might become an issue down the road if it was an actual flaw. The guy didn't even ask for more info, just my IMEI and he was setting up an RMA for me right away.

Really quick and smooth Google support experiences so far.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Parker Lewis posted:

The T-Mobile version is the same model number as the developer edition: XT1053. Not only do they get updates at the same time (the Kitkat update for my developer edition was available at the same time as the T-Mobile version was), even the factory images for the developer edition call themselves T-Mobile images.

For the person who was asking about it being carrier locked: I don't personally have the T-Mobile version, but from everything I've heard from other people, it's unlocked.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
If only it had Qi.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

So the power button on my N5 is loose and rattling, I can hear it when I tap the top right area of the phone.
Keep in mind that the image stabiliser on the camera has a slight rattle if you shake or tap the N5 (and N4), and that is normal. I'm not saying your button isn't broken, but don't expect silence.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks for the sig strength info.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

Keep in mind that the image stabiliser on the camera has a slight rattle if you shake or tap the N5 (and N4), and that is normal. I'm not saying your button isn't broken, but don't expect silence.

Nah it was coming from the power button when I tapped the top right, and the button is visibly loose. Definitely not the lens, but I did read that and am aware!

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Rattley power button is pretty common on them. Being ceramic doesn't help either.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is something I run into frequently and it's never consistent. Sometimes restores work great, sometimes it restores apps from a different device, sometimes it just doesn't do it at all.

Inconsistent Play Store restoring (and incomplete at that) is why I'll always run rooted. Google really needs to take a few good lessons from Apple on data backup & restore. I'm just supposed to trust its non-granular "everything will go to the cloud but there are exceptions that I'll never tell you" style of backup.

I also can't stand having to set my apps back up and lose progress in my games. Titanium Backup has kept things together for me from Droid Bionic > SGS3 > HTC One. I've done experiments from Helium but its reliance on the Play Store for some app restores makes it tedious & infuriating. I can go from scratch to fully-customized device in 15 minutes if I have TiBk at my disposal.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Is that actually true, as in unbranded updates being released ahead of branded ones? I remember during my short stint to Windows Phone, that their updates to unbranded phones were still being held back by carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Yeah it's definitely true, branded phone updates are always later.

• Locked thread