Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

It's a shame you missed 11 of the 14 episodes of the second season.

He isn't that wrong though. Outside of a handful of fights, most of them were reduced to 'see who can bend bigger things'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He isn't that wrong though. Outside of a handful of fights, most of them were reduced to 'see who can bend bigger things'.

No, pretty much all of the action scenes in Korra weren't that at all. Only occasionally do you get a well choreographed fight scene (like some of this past episode) in TMNT. Most of the time its the turtles dodging laser blasts by running at an angle/really fast and dispatching robots in a single attack, or a few dodges followed by a stylized reaction shot (or whatever you would call those), or a quick dispatching of a low level mook. I'm not really criticizing it, the style works and TMNT makes it work well, and the times you get a properly choreographed scene is great. But Korra (and Last Airbender before it) is filled with incredibly framed, free flowing fight sequences, with tight shots, wide shots, panning shots, impacts, recoveries, and so on.

Also I'm pretty sure Bolin cried more than Korra and Mako :v:

And since this is the internet and I just spent most of a post criticizing a show in the thread dedicated to it: I like the new TMNT a lot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

No, pretty much all of the action scenes in Korra weren't that at all. Only occasionally do you get a well choreographed fight scene (like some of this past episode) in TMNT. Most of the time its the turtles dodging laser blasts by running at an angle/really fast and dispatching robots in a single attack, or a few dodges followed by a stylized reaction shot (or whatever you would call those), or a quick dispatching of a low level mook. I'm not really criticizing it, the style works and TMNT makes it work well, and the times you get a properly choreographed scene is great.

Yeah, this mades a lot of sense since they're ninjas. They're trained to dispatch their enemies on the quickest way possible.

In any case truth is, I was very dissapointed with Korra's second season so my judgment is biased :shobon:

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

This was posted on the Turtles Facebook page:

Looks great, love they kept the original color scheme.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I love the big, bulky look. Quite the contrast to the rest of the turtles.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Is Slash confirmed to be a villain? Seems rather strange that Raph's friendly little turtle would turn evil after his mutation.

Also, I quite like that the new Chrome Dome's appearance is clearly based on the Elite Foot ninjas that appeared during "City at War."

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 28, 2013

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

hypersleep posted:

Is Slash confirmed to be a villain? Seems rather strange that Raph's friendly little turtle would turn evil after his mutation.

Also, I quite like that the new Chrome Dome's appearance is clearly based on the Elite Foot ninjas that appeared during "City at War."

Maybe he loses his little palm tree again.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Hey guys just a reminder IDW's Turtle comic has just wrapped up its City Fall storyline and it was awesome.

Highly recommended series.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Guacala posted:

This was posted on the Turtles Facebook page:

Looks great, love they kept the original color scheme.

Voiced by Corey Feldman too. So we get an awesome Goonies reunion on top of everything.

hypersleep posted:

Hasn't Slash always been more of an anti-hero than anything?

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

El Tortuga posted:

There's also this preview of Saturday's episode.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

hypersleep posted:

I immediately recognized Chrome Dome was a modification of Chris Bradfords original Ninja model.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Neon Knight posted:

I immediately recognized Chrome Dome was a modification of Chris Bradfords original Ninja model.

Now that I look at it again, you're right, Bradford's old ninja outfit is very similar too. The elites wore a kind of kasa hat, which is the one thing Chrome Dome is missing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

El Tortuga posted:

Voiced by Corey Feldman too. So we get an awesome Goonies reunion on top of everything.

Was he in anything except the 80s show? In that one he was just kind of hosed over by everyone including the turtles.

Guacala posted:

There's also this preview of Saturday's episode.

So now it's looking like [spoiler] he always listens to Ralph complain about the rest of the team so he's going to attack them, or he's maybe jealous of their brotherly bond.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Was he in anything except the 80s show? In that one he was just kind of hosed over by everyone including the turtles.

He's in the Archie and IDW comics. That's actually where I'm most familiar with him. I didn't even know he was in the 80's show. But yeah, in those he's always a bad guy who eventually starts helping the Turtles.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Great episode!

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
I'm a brainless jackass, but that episode was kind of brutal even by my standards. Did anyone else think that?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

afterhours posted:

I'm a brainless jackass, but that episode was kind of brutal even by my standards. Did anyone else think that?

Yeah, you never see them actually hurt and stuff. They put bruises on Donny and Mike! I'm curious to see if they keep Donny's arm in a sling for next week.

I haven't gotten a chance to check in and say how eaten up I am with this show! I was ate up with turtles in 1990, in kindergarten. I overheard some kids talking about it, so I decided to check it out, and now I'm hooked.

I thought it was super neat that we got to see turtles without their mask this episode. I figured they'd take their masks off at some point. They spent so much time making each turtle look different, it would be kind of a waste if they kept their masks on for the entire run of the series.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is one I think they did better before. I wasn't really a fan of how he started plotting basically right away. It would have been nice for a little buildup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWCDSIsU0mw 80s Slash actually had a pretty tragic back story.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Watching Slash waste the turtles gave me flashbacks of the SNES game.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Wasn't too impressed with Slash being auto-evil. His motivation for hating the others felt forced by being so quick, not to mention how fast he turns on Raph. So far the mutagen seems to turn everything it mutates evil, so why not Splinter or any of the turtles? Also, April's dad turns into a nearly mindless bat-thing incapable of even basic speech, but Slash immediately speaks English perfectly? I know, I know, it's a kids cartoon, but there's absolutely no consistency to how the mutagen works. It's the one major flaw in this show.

Speaking of mutagen, the canister that mutates Slash breaks from falling onto the ground, yet the canister they chase after later gets knocked around the street repeatedly without so much as a crack.

Lazy writing in this episode, unfortunately. Ah well. Can't win every time, I guess.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah the writing was pretty lazy. Probably the only episode that disappointed me a bit. And now Ralph doesn't have his pet tortoise to talk to anymore :(

But at the very least it was understandable and future encounters with slash will be cool.

I actually like mutagen being inconsistent and unpredictable. It makes it creepier and more alien. Mutations already violate the most basic laws of physics anyway, so might as well make it fully magic and get the most mileage from it possible.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
I don't think it's that Slash was "turned" evil after he mutated. He spent his whole life living with Raph, listening to him go on and on about how terrible the others were and how much better off he'd be without them. Slash's attitude was cultivated over years, and the whole point of the episode was pitting raph against a reflection of himself that he created.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Recycle Bin posted:

I don't think it's that Slash was "turned" evil after he mutated. He spent his whole life living with Raph, listening to him go on and on about how terrible the others were and how much better off he'd be without them. Slash's attitude was cultivated over years, and the whole point of the episode was pitting raph against a reflection of himself that he created.

That makes sense, but honestly, I'm getting disappointed that there are literally no "good" mutants other than Splinter and the turtles. (There was Leatherhead, but even he was pretty crazy and violent.)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Who voiced Slash anyway? I'm sure I heard him before but I couldn't place it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

That makes sense, but honestly, I'm getting disappointed that there are literally no "good" mutants other than Splinter and the turtles. (There was Leatherhead, but even he was pretty crazy and violent.)

It's been a tad bit annoying me for a while and I now that you say this I think it'd have been more interesting for April's dad to become a sane, good mutant but one who had issues using his power because he's so unused to fighting or the idea of doing so, as well as showing more of the actual shittiness of living with his situation and how it affects April.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pigeon Man. Dude just wanted to deliver information and eat some sour dough.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MrJacobs posted:

That monkey scientist was pretty good too. You know, apart from being driven insane.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Dr_Amazing posted:

Who voiced Slash anyway? I'm sure I heard him before but I couldn't place it.

Corey Feldman.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Amusing to see them pull the "pet watches ninja, becomes ninja badass" from the comic / movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

To be fair, Leatherhead was abused since the beginning for the Kraang so I can overlook his issues.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Corey Feldman.

It's worth noting that Feldman previously voiced Donatello in the first and third live action TMNT movies.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

hypersleep posted:

It's worth noting that Feldman previously voiced Donatello in the first and third live action TMNT movies.

And he was in The Goonies with Sean Astin (Ralph), making it a very cool reunion.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
After Mutagen Man, I am eager to see just how disturbing they can make Muckman and Joe Eyeball.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

tsob posted:

It's been a tad bit annoying me for a while and I now that you say this I think it'd have been more interesting for April's dad to become a sane, good mutant but one who had issues using his power because he's so unused to fighting or the idea of doing so, as well as showing more of the actual shittiness of living with his situation and how it affects April.

I would have liked for this to have happened as well. April still could have been insanely pissed off for having the turtles turn her father into a disgusting bat-monster if he wasn't driven crazy as well. Actually, I think it might be worse to have to interact with your loving, supportive father while he's a disgusting, malformed mutant.

MrJacobs posted:

I am deliberately trying to block all memories of that creepy bastard from my brain.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Recycle Bin posted:

That makes me feel so horrible for Slash. He wishes his whole life to help his "father" in some way. He constantly hears his dad talk about how good Spike is and how stupid/useless the others are. Now that he is finally able to help his father, Raph turns a complete 180 and sides against him in favor of those he always complained about. Slash only wanted to help his dad. :(

Twenty years ago my brother and I got a pet turtle. We wanted to name it after Bebop's pet turtle, but we couldn't remember his name so we called him Spike instead.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Why did they bother with the Spike/Slash switch anyway? It does kind if hi-light this weird trend of animals being fully aware of everything but unable to express it. Like if you remembered everything that you saw as a baby.

Looking back at Slash's design made me realize that he resembles Tokka from the second movie and a few episodes ago Mikey called dog pounds double mutation "Razar" so it looks like we may be seeing a team up.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
I understand the theme behind Slash's rage mutation: Raphael having to deal with the consequences of his unchecked anger. But I don't agree with it. Especially in a tv show for kids.

A teenager venting to their pet about all their stupid angst isn't abnormal, it's probably healthy. It'd be one thing if he was abusing his pet, but he's just blowing off steam. Also, I don't think they've correctly portrayed Raphael's anger issues to earn this kind of storyline. Raph has always been an angry fellow, but he's within the bounds of a normal angry kid. He's never been out of control enraged and his anger has never endangered himself or anyone beyond normal teenage dumbassery. It's on the same level as Donatello's obsessive love, Michaelangelo's callousness, and Leonardo's bullheadedness.

If they had done a lead up showing Raph's anger issues becoming more and more destructive and more and more isolating, then I think this plot about his anger ultimately loosing him his best friend/hug box would be more understandable. As it is, I keep thinking about it, and feeling that it was overly violent for a kids show and that the message it sent is kind of confusing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So have they announced how long the show is on hiatus for? Or is just a one week break for some random reason?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Daaaang, okay, so, who wants spoilers?

According to this page, there's a new baddie coming called April Derp. I bet that name will change. Wasn't April immune to Krang water, though? Maybe she'll just be a clone. I have trouble getting the pictures to load on that page, so if you can tolerate tumblr, you can also see the picture here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

There's no way "Derp" can be in the name. The poo poo-storm that kicked up when My Little Pony did should be a warning.

• Locked thread