Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Gutcruncher posted:

I'd really love it if they just keep all 3 Mario styles around from now on. A series of 2d ones like New Super Mario, a series of 3d ones like 64 or Galaxy, and the 2d game in a 3d world of Mario 3D ______. There's really something for everyone now!
This, I've played and enjoyed games of all three types, and each of them has something to recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Gutcruncher posted:

I'd really love it if they just keep all 3 Mario styles around from now on. A series of 2d ones like New Super Mario, a series of 3d ones like 64 or Galaxy, and the 2d game in a 3d world of Mario 3D ______. There's really something for everyone now!

As much as I'd love this, I'd prefer new Zelda titles and for the love of god a new, good Metroid game.

Oh man, how about Super 3D Metroid?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

loudog999 posted:

I am pretty disheartened about my Wii U right now. I tried to push it on my brother that came in for Thanksgiving.. he is the perfect Wii U customer.. raised on Nintendo, has a 7 year old that plays games.. but he just didnt seemed impressed with the system at all. He alternated between playing my Shield, all old NES and SNES games via emulator, and being excited that Minecraft is coming to Vita soon. I guess I did have a small victory because it sounded like I sold either a Vita or a Shield, but I really want more people to be excited for the Wii U.

The question is did you bring the console with you, and why were you not playing Nintendoland? poo poo's like the Wii Sports of this console, yo.

I wonder if Minecraft will come to the U soon, good way to bring in more people and I guess you could use the pad for inventory stuff?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Serious question: How old were you all during the NES-SNES days vs the N64 days? I'm sure that would clear up a lot while exposing some rose tinted glasses.

Since I grew up on the NES, Mario was all about power ups, tons of levels, expertly crafted platforming, and rewarding secrets. The N64 took Mario in a direction that felt like a huge step back. Sure it was 3D, but it cost Mario the imaginative levels. 3D World is the Mario game I've been waiting almost 20 years for. Its worth the price of the Wii U on its own.

My first system was an NES and the first game I pretty much ever played was Super Mario Brothers 1. I just like the 3D games better and I have played 64 recently and really think it holds up quite well. I really don't think it's so much rose tinted glasses as much as liking a game you apparently don't like :kiddo:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I think having to return to the hub after finding a star in Galaxy is annoying as hell, and one of the reasons I haven't completed it or 64 for that matter. Why not design the stages so that you can find all of the stars without leaving?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I think having to return to the hub after finding a star in Galaxy is annoying as hell, and one of the reasons I haven't completed it or 64 for that matter. Why not design the stages so that you can find all of the stars without leaving?

Because the stages actually alter and change based on some things you do. You can get some of the stars out of order but there's e general focus to the game to prevent people from getting overwhelmed.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Serious question: How old were you all during the NES-SNES days vs the N64 days? I'm sure that would clear up a lot while exposing some rose tinted glasses.

Since I grew up on the NES, Mario was all about power ups, tons of levels, expertly crafted platforming, and rewarding secrets. The N64 took Mario in a direction that felt like a huge step back. Sure it was 3D, but it cost Mario the imaginative levels. 3D World is the Mario game I've been waiting almost 20 years for. Its worth the price of the Wii U on its own.

I grew up with the Atari 2600 and got a NES when I was 10, or so. Super Mario 3D World looks like a return to form, in my opinion. Super Mario 64 was the first Mario game that I played that I was bored with completely. The different levels were gone, the powerups were de-emphasized, and the collection stuff just felt like padding to me. The N64 came out the year I graduated high school and I decided to just buy a Playstation instead. In hindsight that was a great move because I loved the games on that system and there wasn't much on the N64 that I cared about.

I'm seriously considering buying a Wii U Zelda bundle this week and picking up 3D World along with it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GOOCHY posted:

I grew up with the Atari 2600 and got a NES when I was 10, or so. Super Mario 3D World looks like a return to form, in my opinion. Super Mario 64 was the first Mario game that I played that I was bored with completely. The different levels were gone, the powerups were de-emphasized, and the collection stuff just felt like padding to me. The N64 came out the year I graduated high school and I decided to just buy a Playstation instead. In hindsight that was a great move because I loved the games on that system and there wasn't much on the N64 that I cared about.

I'm seriously considering buying a Wii U Zelda bundle this week and picking up 3D World along with it.

Get the one with New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi U. Anyone who doesn't like those games hates fun. They're basically a re-imagining of the original Super Mario World. Wind Waker is fun though, save for the bit just before the end.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Because the stages actually alter and change based on some things you do. You can get some of the stars out of order but there's e general focus to the game to prevent people from getting overwhelmed.

I understand that. I just prefer to run around and explore a big world, OR run a straightforward obstacle course. The mission based approach in those games just don't appeal to me. I try playing Galaxy from time to time but always give up after a few stars.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Amazon's Lightning deal for Game and Wario is Live now and you can now get the game for 27.99 for the next four hours until all of them are claimed.

It's been live for a minute and 36 percent are already claimed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiffster posted:

Amazon's Lightning deal for Game and Wario is Live now and you can now get the game for 27.99 for the next four hours until all of them are claimed.

It is not worth that much at all.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spiffster posted:

I'll get it when it's $10 in the bargain bin. It's normally $40, an it's been $33 since Oct 1st (http://lightningdrops.com/product/B00CHYOP94). $5 off is not a great deal.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spiffster posted:

It's only two dollars cheaper than their Elder Scrolls Anthology deal of which it contains five full games and all their DLC.

Game and Wario is like $5-$10 dollar thing(it was originally going to be free).

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

My first console was a Sega Master System and I was 13 when the N64 launched. I had loved all the primary NES Mario games and to this day believe that SMB3 represents the pinnacle of NES programming. I still remember the very first time I played Super Mario World on the SNES. I remember being captivated by the colors, the powerups, the beautiful overworld, the catchy music, and the sense of accomplishment at beating Star Road and Top Secret.

I bought a N64 with my PFD money (yay Alaska!) and played the everloving poo poo out of Mario 64. I don't think it has the replayability of SMW and like most games of its era it hasn't aged well graphically, but I still think it's a classic and will defend it as being a great example of 2D IPs entering the 3D world. My biggest gripe with Mario 64 also extends to every 3D Mario since: occasionally poor spatial orientation. We've all fought the camera at some point or another and resorted to watching Mario's shadow to figure out just where we were in relation to the world.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I ended up getting the Anthology deal over Game and Wario, but I felt like some of you guys might have been waiting for a price cut before buying it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

SyHopeful posted:

My first console was a Sega Master System and I was 13 when the N64 launched. I had loved all the primary NES Mario games and to this day believe that SMB3 represents the pinnacle of NES programming. I still remember the very first time I played Super Mario World on the SNES. I remember being captivated by the colors, the powerups, the beautiful overworld, the catchy music, and the sense of accomplishment at beating Star Road and Top Secret.

I bought a N64 with my PFD money (yay Alaska!) and played the everloving poo poo out of Mario 64. I don't think it has the replayability of SMW and like most games of its era it hasn't aged well graphically, but I still think it's a classic and will defend it as being a great example of 2D IPs entering the 3D world. My biggest gripe with Mario 64 also extends to every 3D Mario since: occasionally poor spatial orientation. We've all fought the camera at some point or another and resorted to watching Mario's shadow to figure out just where we were in relation to the world.

Oh there's no doubt that it was the best 2D -> 3D transition over similar games of its time (Bubsy 3D anyone?). Add the Mario shadow was a brilliant move as was a controller designed with 3D in mind. However it was still a huge leap back in terms of content and imaginative level design. It took until Galaxy to fix the mess left by 64. 3D world brings out the best in what Nintendo offers that other developers lack this generation. What a fantastic game. With any luck they'll leave the 64 formula in the dust forever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Once again I really like those type of Mario games and really hope they don't stop making them.

It's also odd to be making statements about what this gen lacks when this gen is less than a month old,

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Ahem...I think you'll find the Wii U came out last year. Check and Mate!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Oh there's no doubt that it was the best 2D -> 3D transition over similar games of its time (Bubsy 3D anyone?). Add the Mario shadow was a brilliant move as was a controller designed with 3D in mind. However it was still a huge leap back in terms of content and imaginative level design. It took until Galaxy to fix the mess left by 64. 3D world brings out the best in what Nintendo offers that other developers lack this generation. What a fantastic game. With any luck they'll leave the 64 formula in the dust forever.

The 64 formula was waaaaaaay better in the Banjo Kazzoie games and are basically what Assassins Creed has been doing for years now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I remember DK64 really padding out the game with those challenge to beat each level as each character and find all their colors bananas. That was pretty horrible

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did TVii ever become anything? I remember that it wasn't really ready for launch, and when I try to Google it today, all I get are articles from late last year about how it's not ready for launch but it's gonna be cool.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's not even out in Europe yet. The icon for it is still there in the home menu but I'm kinda expecting them to quietly remove it during an update or something and never mention it again

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a good concept with sloppy outsourced execution. The dev they handed it off to is apparently... not very smart. They were so in love with ~*touch interface*~ that they ignored all the other inputs on the controller. You can't scroll with the analog sticks, you can't navigate with buttons, and if you open up the app's TV remote function, it actually has directional touch panels that you have to use instead of the D-pad. It's actually worse to use than the Gamepad's barebones built-in universal remote.

Also, if your channel selection doesn't quite line up with what the app generates for your provider/region, you'll get a lot of wrong info. There's no way to tell the app "Hey, I don't have this channel, don't tell me about what's playing on it".

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 2, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
There's a thread for old-rear end Mario games http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3584781

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I remember DK64 really padding out the game with those challenge to beat each level as each character and find all their colors bananas. That was pretty horrible

Well, you only had to do the bulk of it to beat the main game. Hideout Helm had a banana requirement of 100 out of a possible 201, and stuff like the fairies were completely non-essential.

It was an OCD sufferer's ultimate nightmare though.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Thank you, I was just about to link this thread to move the boring old Mario discussion there.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
What's allowed to be discussed in this thread?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The discussion started with 3D World but then it became 64 vs Sunshine vs Galaxy

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did TVii ever become anything? I remember that it wasn't really ready for launch, and when I try to Google it today, all I get are articles from late last year about how it's not ready for launch but it's gonna be cool.
It's good for some things, if you're watching football or basketball it can show you stats/info. It has a channel guide that is better than my cable box and doesn't require it to take up the tv while you search around. Being able to search shows/movies across Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Video all at once is helpful on rare occasions. tvtag is weird and pointless.

Supercar Gautier posted:

They were so in love with ~*touch interface*~ that they ignored all the other inputs on the controller. You can't scroll with the analog sticks, you can't navigate with buttons
This is 100% false.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When did that get updated, then? Because you sure as hell couldn't do those things in TVii when it first launched.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

When did that get updated, then? Because you sure as hell couldn't do those things in TVii when it first launched.
I think it was included in one of the system updates in Feb/March or around there

Kissing Dad
May 27, 2004

Has there been any word on any upcoming sales for the holidays through the Nintendo shop? I pretty much want to buy every virtual console game on there but if they are doing a sale sometime then I can wait. I noticed the Mario games are right now, I'll start with those.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What kills TVii for me is that it's obscenely slow to start up and navigate. Like multiple minutes to start up.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Kissing Dad posted:

Has there been any word on any upcoming sales for the holidays through the Nintendo shop? I pretty much want to buy every virtual console game on there but if they are doing a sale sometime then I can wait. I noticed the Mario games are right now, I'll start with those.

There's probably no point on waiting for sales because they're never that good, but they all get posted in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518750

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Kissing Dad posted:

Donkey Kong games will be on sale after the Mario sale ends. They put new promotions up on this site.

The Milkman posted:

What kills TVii for me is that it's obscenely slow to start up and navigate. Like multiple minutes to start up.
That sucks, for mine it usually takes 30-40 seconds tops to load.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kissing Dad posted:

I post 'em all in the eShop thread every week, there's a relatively up-to-date list of all the current sales/promos on the front page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518750

Sales aren't a regular thing, especially for first-party games. NOA's been doing character-specific sales for a few weeks now - Zelda, Mega Man, and now Mario - but next week's DK sale will be the last one for a little while, I think.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Psyker posted:

As much as I'd love this, I'd prefer new Zelda titles and for the love of god a new, good Metroid game.

I doubt this is an "either or" kind of a situation.

axleblaze posted:

My first system was an NES and the first game I pretty much ever played was Super Mario Brothers 1. I just like the 3D games better and I have played 64 recently and really think it holds up quite well. I really don't think it's so much rose tinted glasses as much as liking a game you apparently don't like :kiddo:

Yeah, this.
I started on Mario with an NES Action set that I saved up for when I was like 10. Well I had rented it prior to that, but that's a big reason I bought it. Played the ever-loving poo poo out of that, SMB 2, SMB 3, moved on to Super Mario World, and had my mind freaking melted when my friend busted out his new N64 and Mario that he had got for christmas. Not too long after that I had my own, and I played the ever-loving poo poo out of that game.
Picked up a phatty old DS on launch day and was totally happy with just Mario 64 DS.
I was a bit late to the party getting my own Wii, but one of the first things I did was download Super Mario 64 from the virtual console. Played through it again last year and loved it again.

Apart from Sunshine (which I bought and played but didn't finish), I have finished and loved all of the 3D Marios, and outside of NSMB2 (which I haven't played) I have finished and loved all the 2D Marios.
Mario 64 is great to this day for me, and so is Galaxy, but they're different in so many ways. I find it a bit weird when people want a return to games like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy - as if they are really the same kind of games. Galaxy was much more linear, more focused - more like old-school Mario than this new-fangled 64 3D stuff which I also love to play.

Keep 'em comin, Nintendo!

Jumbled_Johnsons fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 2, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I still don't understand the point of TVii. It's interesting, but I can do everything it can do elsewhere much better. Why would I talk to random people on Miiverse about a TV show when I can do it on here at SA and type much faster?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Astro7x posted:

I still don't understand the point of TVii. It's interesting, but I can do everything it can do elsewhere much better. Why would I talk to random people on Miiverse about a TV show when I can do it on here at SA and type much faster?

It's neat that you can search in one place for things and it will tell you if it's on Netflix or Amazon or whatever. That's sorta it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
You can draw pictures.

edit - Regarding Miiverse.

• Locked thread