Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

What's mechanically different about a DRZ from a normal streetbike that makes you able to do that? Or is it just a style of riding you were taught to do?

Well yeah, you do learn to feel comfortable with losing traction in the dirt, but it's also that:

It's lighter than most streetbikes.
Sitting upright and losing traction feels a lot more controllable than being in a sport tuck and losing traction. You're sitting straight up, you can stand on the pegs easily and the wide bars make keeping the front in line very easy while staying upright.
And I think the fact that it's typically taller makes it so that that snap back into alignment when the rear gets traction again doesn't feel as intense.

Either way I think the practice on the DRZ made the difference between an accident and an almost accident on my S3R, I turned down an alley, saw a car coming in fast, skidded the rear tire and caught myself when the bike tried to highside me. If that had happened right after I had taken my MSF or before I got the DRZ I think I probably would have went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

In a straight line you can even lock up your front tire without going down, though you have to ease off the brake quick to avoid a spill. Either way the first time you do it you'll be spilling poop in your pants, it's a scary feeling.

Last summer on the SV I locked the front twice (locked, released, reapplied and locked it again, released and finally braked without locking it) while not rear-ending a BMW that decided he just had to stomp on the brakes on the freeway. Now that's threshold braking right there. Also threshold prairie dogging it.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 19, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Last summer on the SV I locked the front twice (locked, released, reapplied and locked it again) while not rear-ending a BMW that decided he just had to stomp on the brakes on the freeway. Now that's threshold braking right there. Also threshold prairie dogging it.

I'm amazed you managed this at all, the SV I owned had brakes too lovely to do this, unless it was raining.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
This was on dry asphalt.

IIRC you had a blue 2003. Which is coincidentally the same as mine (except mine is an S), so I don't know what to tell you? Practice more threshold braking? ;)

˅˅˅˅˅ Yes, but these are both blue bikes!

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 19, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Stock SV master cylinders are notoriously hit or miss, especially if bleeding is halfassed or the fluid is old.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Drifter posted:

What's mechanically different about a DRZ from a normal streetbike that makes you able to do that? Or is it just a style of riding you were taught to do?

Lightweight, different riding position, easier steering, sticky tires and insane lean angles.

This'll teach me to not refresh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This was on dry asphalt.

IIRC you had a blue 2003. Which is coincidentally the same as mine (except mine is an S), so I don't know what to tell you? Practice more threshold braking? ;)

˅˅˅˅˅ Yes, but these are both blue bikes!

Nah I was meaning mine was unable to lock the front brakes to begin with. It was old and hosed and I didn't like it, so I'm not fussed.

Z3n posted:

Stock SV everything-except-the-engine are notoriously hit or miss,

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Honestly, the big weak points are the suspension. The rest of it is a solid bike. If your MC was really unable to lock up the front wheel, either you're a t-rex or your mastercylinder was hosed from an accident or from the factory. I've owned a lot of SVs and all of them could lock the front. It might require some strength, but it was never anywhere near Harley status.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe I didn't try hard enough. By the end of my tenure I was pretty brutal with that bike though; I'm honestly amazed I didn't even have any near-misses, let alone crash, considering how few fucks I gave about giving it a beating irrespective of tyre temp, engine temp, circumstances or basically anything. It had 60-odd thousand km's so it was probably a hosed master.

That reminds me: the owner's manual for my zx-10 claims I should rebuild the master cylinder every (I think) 48,000 km's. Is this actually necessary, or is it the manufacturer just being insanely over-cautious like they always are?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Faster Blaster posted:

Lessons learned:
Just hold that rear brake down when the rear starts to slide.

While riding my B6 to winter storage, I had to brake for an ambulance. The road was soaking wet and I think I locked up and reapplied the rear brake 3 or 4 times. The bike stayed perfectly straight.

So no, don't just keep the rear brake jammed if the rear starts to slide. Keep the bike straight and release the brake, you're not going wobble off the bike unless you manhandle the handlebars. If the rear starts to slide sideways, you kept the brake locked for WAY too long.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Why are you guys even using the rear brake? Are you all riding half ton cruisers? Jeez.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rear brake to settle the bike before getting hard on the front brake. I just wasn't quick enough to release the rear brake and I didn't want to go 100% front in wet conditions.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

While riding my B6 to winter storage, I had to brake for an ambulance. The road was soaking wet and I think I locked up and reapplied the rear brake 3 or 4 times. The bike stayed perfectly straight.

So no, don't just keep the rear brake jammed if the rear starts to slide. Keep the bike straight and release the brake, you're not going wobble off the bike unless you manhandle the handlebars. If the rear starts to slide sideways, you kept the brake locked for WAY too long.

Chalk it up to new rider inexperience. I don't remember manhandling the bars; I just noticed I wasn't stopping like I should, then the back started coming around to the right, and before I knew it, it had flicked back and launched me off. It wasn't instantaneous, but it did happen quickly, and I was caught out having never felt the bike slide like that.

Drifter posted:

Why are you guys even using the rear brake? Are you all riding half ton cruisers? Jeez.

Lol, they told me in the MSF that "Using the front brakes causes you to flip. Don't use them unless you wanna end up in a video on the internet."

e:MSF told me to maintain pressure on the rear brake if it slides or risk a highside when it hooks back up suddenly, while I should pulse the fronts if that tire locks up.

Faster Blaster fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 19, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Faster Blaster posted:

Chalk it up to new rider inexperience. I don't remember manhandling the bars; I just noticed I wasn't stopping like I should, then the back started coming around to the right, and before I knew it, it had flicked back and launched me off. It wasn't instantaneous, but it did happen quickly, and I was caught out having never felt the bike slide like that.

Yeah, if the rear does start to swing around, you should absolutely keep the rear wheel locked! Forgot to add that to the end of my post.

My point is that it does take a while for the rear to swing out unless you weren't braking straight. And you should always brake as straight as possible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The one time I had to brake in a hurry in the rain (idiot pulled out across traffic) and I used my rear brake, it was on my 919 and it caused the rear to fishtail wildly. I then reproduced the same braking from the same speed in the rain, using only the front brake, and nothing bad happened at all.

In my experience, the bigger the (non-cruiser) bike is, the more useless and skid-inducing the rear brake seems to be. On my girlfriend's RG150 I used the front and rear basically 50/50. On the other end of the scale, I only use the rear on my zx-10 at walking pace and for staying stopped at intersections. Across the bikes I've ridden it seems to be reasonably straight correlation as you go up.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I watched a Twist of the Wrist and only used the front brake for a while, then I got riding experience and I use both now.

If you can't use the rear without locking it regularly you need to practice more. Unless you're doing a stoppie there is braking power to be had there.

People should go out to a lot when the road is wet and just practice locking it to figure out where the threshold is.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Faster Blaster posted:

MSF told me to maintain pressure on the rear brake if it slides or risk a highside when it hooks back up suddenly, while I should pulse the fronts if that tire locks up.
This applies to braking while leaned in a turn. If you're steering dead straight, the rear is a lot more stable and locking it up and releasing it won't usually do much.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I assumed that was a joke post and didn't bother replying... but may as well chime in now I guess.

nsaP posted:

If you can't use the rear without locking it regularly you need to practice more. Unless you're doing a stoppie there is braking power to be had there.

This. Stoppies are not the most effective or controlled way to stop. Since you're not planning on doing one you should be planning to use both available brakes.

If you lock the rear super easy then maybe throw some shittier pads and/or rotors on it to make it harder to lock, but seriously you should just practice and learn how to use it effectively instead of crippling it.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, if the rear does start to swing around, you should absolutely keep the rear wheel locked!

This too. That last thing you want when you're sliding like that is a sudden and complete change of traction. The result will be a post in this thread, as Faster Blaster pointed out as a hard lesson learned already.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Drifter posted:

Linked Braking System supremacy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alright, maybe I didn't phrase it correctly. I don't lock the rear wheel instantly, I'm perfectly capable of modulating the rear brake. It just seems basically useless when I'm braking really heavily because the rear of the bike wants to lift off the ground; any additional braking I can extract from the rear before it starts to lock is practically useless. If I'm not braking like a lunatic, the front brakes are more than sufficient.

nsaP posted:

I watched a Twist of the Wrist

:confused:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Halo_4am posted:

I assumed that was a joke post and didn't bother replying... but may as well chime in now I guess.

This. Stoppies are not the most effective or controlled way to stop. Since you're not planning on doing one you should be planning to use both available brakes.

If you lock the rear super easy then maybe throw some shittier pads and/or rotors on it to make it harder to lock, but seriously you should just practice and learn how to use it effectively instead of crippling it.

I went back to my shop after getting my DRZ fixed because the rear wouldn't lock when I stood on it, and the mechanic looked at me like I had two heads. "You know you don't want to lock it right?"

"False. That is exactly what I want."

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Odd question, but is this in Sugarland, on Sugar Creek and Country Club?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

TheFonz posted:

Odd question, but is this in Sugarland, on Sugar Creek and Country Club?

You are correct, Herr Fonz.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

They made a DVD.

http://www.twistofthewristdvd.com/

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

XYLOPAGUS posted:

You are correct, Herr Fonz.

I grew up there, have not seen that in about, 16 years, but instantly knew exactly where that was.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
That's pretty neat. This place still screams 1970's. I just moved here a little over 2 months ago and I'm liking it quite a bit.

Godzillas Gorilla
Mar 9, 2007

Whelp... I wrecked, and it was entirely my fault. I had just gotten some new winter riding gear for my move up to Wisconsin and was trying it on and trying to see how it felt on the bike. It was a little stiff with it being new, but not unmanageable. My driveway has a downward slope to the road of the cul-de-sac where I live, so I usually keep the bike in neutral down to the stop sign as I coast down the street. I pushed off to go down the driveway, and while moving my feet to rest on the pegs, I hit the shift lever with my left foot. It knocked the bike into first gear, and with no hand pulling the clutch in, the bike jerked/lurched a couple of times, I grabbed a fistful of brakes, and I low-sided.

Total distance of my trip to check out my new gear? 10 feet. Total damage? Left side fairing cracked and scuffed up pretty good, busted off my frame slider (which admittedly didn't do poo poo other that be the culprit that actually cracked the fairing when it got wedged up behind it), and scuffed the poo poo out of my stator cover. A couple other scratched parts, but the damage was minimal (clutch lever, bar-end weight, end of the mirror, and the fender and front fairing all had small scuffs on them). I bruised my right thumb (no idea how) and damaged my pride. Thankfully the new gear just got a little dirty.

Lessons to be learned? Don't be complacent just because you've done something hundreds of times. I commute to work on my bike, and I had gone down the driveway the same way almost every day since I moved into the place. I wasn't paying attention, and since I was dressed differently than how I normally ride, I made a mistake and a poor judgement call to not have complete control of my motorcycle. Most people get used to riding the same way all of the time and it becomes muscle memory and routine. The feeling becomes natural to you. As soon as you throw in a new variable, you have to re-teach yourself that muscle memory and form a new routine.

Thankfully I have a spare stator cover since I had been planning on replacing the stock one and I've already ordered a new fairing for the side. I may end up replacing all of the plastics in the near future with a cheap set of aftermarket plastics and keep the stock ones in good condition if I ever decide to sell the bike for another one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sucks dude. The emotional agony of self-hatred you're undoubtedly experiencing will act as a burning brand on your ego, hopefully one painful enough to stop you doing it again :)

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Ah that's properly horrible!

I ended up dropping mine gently to the ground the other day after washing it. I was taking it off the stand the same way I have a hundred times and had some sort of brain fart and down it went.

Luckily I managed to slow it down enough so I got away without any visible damage, (Yay for nakeds!). Slavvy's right about the self-loathing that comes afterwards though!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Godzillas Gorilla posted:

Total distance of my trip to check out my new gear? 10 feet. Total damage? Left side fairing cracked and scuffed up pretty good, busted off my frame slider (which admittedly didn't do poo poo other that be the culprit that actually cracked the fairing when it got wedged up behind it), and scuffed the poo poo out of my stator cover. A couple other scratched parts, but the damage was minimal (clutch lever, bar-end weight, end of the mirror, and the fender and front fairing all had small scuffs on them). I bruised my right thumb (no idea how) and damaged my pride. Thankfully the new gear just got a little dirty.

That's one way to test new gear. Sounds like you need to look at different frame sliders, pretty bad if a low speed drop snapped the thing off.

I've had a similar wreck but my bike did it without me even on it. Warming up in the driveway and run inside to get something I forgot, come back out and the bike has somehow rolled just enough to over-center the kickstand and fall over. The first time it did this was as I was leaving for a 6 hour (round trip) ride and it broke by clutch lever.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Godzillas Gorilla posted:

Whelp... I wrecked, and it was entirely my fault. I had just gotten some new winter riding gear for my move up to Wisconsin and was trying it on and trying to see how it felt on the bike. It was a little stiff with it being new, but not unmanageable. My driveway has a downward slope to the road of the cul-de-sac where I live, so I usually keep the bike in neutral down to the stop sign as I coast down the street. I pushed off to go down the driveway, and while moving my feet to rest on the pegs, I hit the shift lever with my left foot. It knocked the bike into first gear, and with no hand pulling the clutch in, the bike jerked/lurched a couple of times, I grabbed a fistful of brakes, and I low-sided.

Lessons to be learned? Don't be complacent just because you've done something hundreds of times. I commute to work on my bike, and I had gone down the driveway the same way almost every day since I moved into the place. I wasn't paying attention, and since I was dressed differently than how I normally ride, I made a mistake and a poor judgement call to not have complete control of my motorcycle. Most people get used to riding the same way all of the time and it becomes muscle memory and routine. The feeling becomes natural to you. As soon as you throw in a new variable, you have to re-teach yourself that muscle memory and form a new routine.

Thankfully I have a spare stator cover since I had been planning on replacing the stock one and I've already ordered a new fairing for the side. I may end up replacing all of the plastics in the near future with a cheap set of aftermarket plastics and keep the stock ones in good condition if I ever decide to sell the bike for another one.

Bad habit riding it around in neutral. Knock it into first as soon as you kick back the stand and never coast around in neutral like you would a manual transmission car, always keep it in gear while it's moving. You want to be in total control of the bike at all times and that means being able to accelerate or control your speed with engine braking.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Who coasts around in neutral in a manual car?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Who coasts around in neutral in a manual car?

Bad drivers.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Sorry about the drop, but the image in my mind of what happened makes it seem pretty hilarious. Too bad there wasn't any video.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

n8r posted:

Sorry about the drop, but the image in my mind of what happened makes it seem pretty hilarious. Too bad there wasn't any video.

I haven't done it myself but I know a lot of riders that kicked an idling neutral bike into gear by accident, jerked into a stall and then flopped right over. I've done the nononono slow-motion tipover myself, although nowhere near hard enough to damage the fairings or break a slider.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowdens Secret posted:

I haven't done it myself but I know a lot of riders that kicked an idling neutral bike into gear by accident, jerked into a stall and then flopped right over. I've done the nononono slow-motion tipover myself, although nowhere near hard enough to damage the fairings or break a slider.

The only time I've ever kept my bike in neutral is when my hands are off the handlebars. It would feel so weird to be moving while it's not in gear.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Backov posted:

Bad drivers.

I am a lazy and yet at times aggressive driver so the shoe does kinda fit.

Godzillas Gorilla
Mar 9, 2007

I'm sure if I had seen someone else do it in a video I would have laughed my rear end off. Even moreso with the barrage of obscenities that came spewing out of my mouth in anger and rage. I guess that's reason enough to consider getting a GoPro. I've been considering it for a while, though it would have taken some convincing to post my two seconds of riding and twenty minutes of swearing that followed.

I took the damaged fairing off and it appears that one of the bolts holding the frame slider on actually sheared off. That's what I get for going the cheap route; I got what I paid for. I'm definitely going to invest a bit more money this time around. I really didn't fall that hard, but I suppose when you have a fat 500lb+ bike with close to another 200lbs of rider and gear on it, the weight definitely contributed to the damage. I'm not experienced in it, but since I ordered another fairing, I may try my hand at repairing the cracked fairing with some YouTube guidance. If the repair comes out somewhat decent, I'll probably just end up repainting the entire bike in plasti-dip or something and resell the fairing I picked up to get some money back.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I envision something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9fF_bSQk7I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

That video linked me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

Oh man, I haven't laughed that hard for a little while.

• Locked thread