Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe it'll be Barrowman again.

Just kill the guy off every appearance.

He just KEEPS. COMING. BACK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Deakul posted:

I think it's way too early to kill off Sarah.

I can't really hazard a guess save for maybe Shado on the island? Or Thea.

I didn't even think about Shado, but that makes perfect sense for Island Ollie's character arc. Especially since Ollie uses Shado's hood as part of his costume.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They better not kill off Paul Blackthorne, that's all I gotta say

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'm thinking they kill off Momma Arrow.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

King of Solomon posted:

I didn't even think about Shado, but that makes perfect sense for Island Ollie's character arc. Especially since Ollie uses Shado's hood as part of his costume.

I know when my girlfriend died I had a hell of a time fitting into her size 2 capris.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
My money's on Moira. The show has been basically operating without her while she's been in jail and it would be fitting if she died heroically trying to stop Barrowman's latest shenanigans. She doesn't really have a clear role on the show now otherwise.

I suppose Shado's a good guess if it's an island character.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Drifter posted:

I know when my girlfriend died I had a hell of a time fitting into her size 2 capris.

Well, there's a reason he wears that on top of the rest of his costume. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they're planning on doing anything superheroic with Thea, Moira being killed by Barrowman is a good start.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Drifter posted:

You have failed these capris!

Eddain
May 6, 2007
It's gonna be someone that doesn't matter for poo poo, like Lance's ex-partner or maybe the dick in charge of the police department.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's really annoying that we have these big rules that say "no spoilers", and then people go and post things like this. I guess I can't read this thread anymore.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's really annoying that we have these big rules that say "no spoilers", and then people go and post things like this. I guess I can't read this thread anymore.

Amell never said someone dies, just that someone doesn't make it. Maybe he meant someone missed the bus.

These guys are only doing speculative exercises.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
[quote=""Drifter"" post=""422612571""]
Maybe he meant someone missed the bus.
[/quote]

I bet it wasn't Barry Allen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Lord Bude posted:

I bet it wasn't Barry Allen.

Actually Barry would be the absolutely best person to miss a bus if anyone had to. :flashfact:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
But then he'd easily get to his destination and it wouldn't provide dramatic tension.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Lord Bude posted:

But then he'd easily get to his destination and it wouldn't provide dramatic tension.

But how else are they going to have a comedic scene in which he chases after the bus and then smacks into the back of it when he runsfast, like Wile E Coyote [genius] running into a wall?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He would just vibrate his molecules through the bus.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Aphrodite posted:

He would just vibrate his molecules through the bus.

But then he might accidentally explode the bus since he's new at it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm thinking they kill off Momma Arrow.
She is pretty expendable at this point. Still really really really hoping it's Laurel though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It would certainly help redeem Moira a little if she died protecting someone.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

hcreight posted:

My money's on Moira. The show has been basically operating without her while she's been in jail and it would be fitting if she died heroically trying to stop Barrowman's latest shenanigans. She doesn't really have a clear role on the show now otherwise.

I suppose Shado's a good guess if it's an island character.

Both excellent guesses. I feel like Shado has to die, and Slade has to go crazy (with Japanese stem cells, I guess), to account for why Oliver is by himself when he escapes. And honestly, Shado has "girl in refrigerator" written all over her at the moment, especially since they pulled Sara Lance out of there to defrost.

I marathoned this entire series over the last two weeks, and yeah: it's substantial how much better it's gotten. Just on a basic character motivation level, the first few episodes were a totally confusing mess. Though I still have to remind myself that Green Arrow isn't Batman; they're still aping the Nolan films pretty hard. Particularly "The Count" as a Joker knockoff. Goddamn.

The question I have is how The Flash is going to fit into the world they've built, where there are no literal superheroes or superpowers. I mean, i get literally how it'll work; they've been offhandedly talking about a "particle accelerator" all this season, so I imagine a science accident will explain it. But what I want is something like Watchmen, where Dr. Manhattan's appearance as a literal superhero just shakes the foundations of society. A super fit dude who's good at shooting arrows is one thing, but a dude who can break the sound barrier on foot and quantum tunnel through walls is loving crazy.

(Another aside: Arrow demonstrates exactly why Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. feels so weak. DC is giving this show some pretty great leeway as to what character or scenarios they can reference or depict. Meanwhile, S.H.I.E.L.D. feels like pulling teeth, because it's obvious that all Marvel's comic IP is earmarked for use in the films, and the TV show's subsisting on table scraps.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xealot posted:

(Another aside: Arrow demonstrates exactly why Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. feels so weak. DC is giving this show some pretty great leeway as to what character or scenarios they can reference or depict. Meanwhile, S.H.I.E.L.D. feels like pulling teeth, because it's obvious that all Marvel's comic IP is earmarked for use in the films, and the TV show's subsisting on table scraps.)

Table scraps is generous. They had to create their own evil organization for an ongoing plot, and the last episode was as generic as it gets; meet new person with a problem, problem causes havoc, problem gets resolved, no mention of the greater Marvel continuity other then name dropping SHIELD.

Given the huge amount of evil organizations in the comics forcing them to make a new one for the show is hilarious and shows just how ridiculous the hoarding of Marvel comic's IP is.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 2, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
My money's either on Moira because she doesn't have much to do in the show now that Ollie is in charge of the company, or Island Sara since she apparently somehow "dies". Although I guess everyone on the island besides Ollie is fair game.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Agents of Shield also isn't allowed to use mutants in any way since Fox still owns those rights. It's sort of the same with Arrow how the big three (Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman) aren't allowed to be mentioned but at least DC could eventually give them permission to. I don't see Fox giving Disney permission to do anything with mutants.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eddain posted:

Agents of Shield also isn't allowed to use mutants in any way since Fox still owns those rights. It's sort of the same with Arrow how the big three (Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman) aren't allowed to be mentioned but at least DC could eventually give them permission to. I don't see Fox giving Disney permission to do anything with mutants.

I hope they never get the permission to bring Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman into the show. They can be mentioned somewhere, but I really like the absence of superpowers on Arrow.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Eddain posted:

Fox just owns the movie rights though, don't they? You've got mutants appearing all over their animated stuff. I don't know why DC wouldn't give WB permission to mention those guys since unlike Marvel WB handles pretty much everything for DC outside of the comics, and also the whole "decade-long Superman series" thing.

Not that I would want them to, of course, but the show has been pretty good about not dumbing itself down with superpowers or references to other DC universe characters so far so I'm curious as to how they'll handle Flash.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 2, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I hope they never get the permission to bring Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman into the show. They can be mentioned somewhere, but I really like the absence of superpowers on Arrow.

Uh, you haven't been following the news have you?

raditts posted:

Fox just owns the movie rights though, don't they? You've got mutants appearing all over their animated stuff. I don't know why DC wouldn't give WB permission to mention those guys since unlike Marvel WB handles pretty much everything for DC outside of the comics, and also the whole "decade-long Superman series" thing.

Not that I would want them to, of course, but the show has been pretty good about not dumbing itself down with superpowers or references to other DC universe characters so far so I'm curious as to how they'll handle Flash.

Marvel could put them in the show, but they won't put anything they don't have the movie rights to. Same with Spider-Man.

If Spider-Man shows up to help SHIELD, the question then becomes why doesn't he help them in Avengers 2?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

DFu4ever posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that Katie Cassidy's face looked a bit plastic-y in the last episode, and I was thinking the same thing while watching the last episode. I think she may have gotten some lipo done on her chin and jawline.

Just marathoned season 2 up to the most recent episode. I had to check after the first episode that they hadn't recast Laurel as I thought it was a different person.

Please can we cut down on the comic references as laid out in the OP? A lot of us here don't read the comics and it is annoying to hear things like Laurel is going to become something or another, or Slade is going to do this so he can become a thing so he can do this other thing. Really annoying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's pretty hard to balance. This show is meant for the comic book fans. The writers clearly intend people to know a lot of those things. Half the impact of a lot of reveals is completely lost if you don't. It's why they haven't hesitated to say outright what's going to happen with Laurel.

You should know who (Dinah) Laurel Lance is, and Slade Wilson, etc. There's another like that soon from future episode summaries I've seen.

The OP just mentions irrelevant backstory stuff. Like basically anything to do with Merlyn, since the show went a different direction with it. If you didn't know Merlyn was a Green Arrow villain though, you missed out on a lot of clever moments up until the Barrowman reveal.

A similar thing happened with Slade and his partner. There's also more than one Blood in the DC universe, and they played that up too until the proper reveal.

Maybe Arrow needs a hugbox.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It's pretty hard to balance. This show is meant for the comic book fans. The writers clearly intend people to know a lot of those things. Half the impact of a lot of reveals is completely lost if you don't. It's why they haven't hesitated to say outright what's going to happen with Laurel.

You should know who (Dinah) Laurel Lance is, and Slade Wilson, etc. There's another like that soon from future episode summaries I've seen.

The OP just mentions irrelevant backstory stuff. Like basically anything to do with Merlyn, since the show went a different direction with it. If you didn't know Merlyn was a Green Arrow villain though, you missed out on a lot of clever moments up until the Barrowman reveal.

A similar thing happened with Slade and his partner. There's also more than one Blood in the DC universe, and they played that up too until the proper reveal.

Maybe Arrow needs a hugbox.

Yeah I get that it's a show based on the comics, but I don't think knowledge of the comics is required to enjoy the show at all. Talking about stuff that has happened in the TV show is cool and very interesting in reading about how they have changed things about a character once they have been revealed, but outright talking about major events that are more than likely going to happen to a character in the show at some point in the future is a bit off.
I don't want to push it too much, but would it be too hard to use the standard TVIV rules about spoilers? Some people have tried but people have just been replying to their spoilered text in the open.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah I get that it's a show based on the comics, but I don't think knowledge of the comics is required to enjoy the show at all. Talking about stuff that has happened in the TV show is cool and very interesting in reading about how they have changed things about a character once they have been revealed, but outright talking about major events that are more than likely going to happen to a character in the show at some point in the future is a bit off.
I don't want to push it too much, but would it be too hard to use the standard TVIV rules about spoilers? Some people have tried but people have just been replying to their spoilered text in the open.

Things like Deathstroke is a bit hard since there are things like Teen Titans in which he is called Slade.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 2, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
There're rumors about a Young Justice Live Action series for the CW

What the gently caress :psyduck:

(hope is alright for the thread, the YJ thread fell to the archives and this note is tangentially related to arrow)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That poor actress is going to have to wear green body paint.

I assume they'll make human Ms. Martian the norm, but you know it's going to have to happen a few times a season.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'm not sure why at all that's relevant. This isn't a Teen Titans thread; it's an Arrow thread. It shouldn't matter what he goes by in any other show/movie/comic. Here, he is currently Slade, island inhabitant with a horribly burned face.

I don't think it's an unreasonable request to not wax poetic about what happens to each associated character in other media, which also may or may not happen to them in this one tv show, at least outside of spoiler tags. (Also, Deadpool -- the mod, not the character -- tried to institute a "don't talk about the comics" rule in TVIV for relevant shows, and they even started a thread in BSS for discussing tv shows relative to their comic source material.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Given that The CW only has 10 hours of programming a week and that shows like Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries will probably stay on the air for as long as the people involved want to keep making them, you'd think they would have a limit on how many DC shows they're willing to take on.

But even if it is true it must be in the early stages, so let's see if it actually happens first.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

xeria posted:

I'm not sure why at all that's relevant. This isn't a Teen Titans thread; it's an Arrow thread. It shouldn't matter what he goes by in any other show/movie/comic. Here, he is currently Slade, island inhabitant with a horribly burned face.

I don't think it's an unreasonable request to not wax poetic about what happens to each associated character in other media, which also may or may not happen to them in this one tv show, at least outside of spoiler tags. (Also, Deadpool -- the mod, not the character -- tried to institute a "don't talk about the comics" rule in TVIV for relevant shows, and they even started a thread in BSS for discussing tv shows relative to their comic source material.)

Thing is, a lot of the best plot twists on Arrow come from the writers taking the expectation builded by the character's comic book stories and then turn them into it's head. There's also the fact that they take advantage of the comic link to bring more attention to the series, I think that few people would care about Barry's debut this week were not aware that he's the Flash on the comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

xeria posted:

We also know that some bad poo poo goes down between them as we saw his mask in the very first episode as it was a trophey and there is no way that is Wintergreens as he would be dead for 5 years.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Young Justice Cartoon that was on CN was essentially a Cartoon CW show so that could very easily work.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Thing is, a lot of the best plot twists on Arrow come from the writers taking the expectation builded by the character's comic book stories and then turn them into it's head. There's also the fact that they take advantage of the comic link to bring more attention to the series, I think that few people would care about Barry's debut this week were not aware that he's the Flash on the comics.

I get that, but also going "well he becomes Tiddlywinks and she becomes Angerbang and the other guy will eventually be Smorgasbord the Barbarian and how cool will it turn out to be in the show and I wonder when it'll happen" isn't the same thing as discussing it after it actually happens. That's what I think Mr Beens is getting at -- the comic links are cool, and certainly worthy of discussion, but it detracts a little from watching the show as standalone material to have people constantly talking about how awesome it's going to be in some indeterminate future when Billy turns into Arrow's arch-nemesis, Smorgasbord, when Smorgasbord does not actually 'exist' in the show yet.

Like, I think there's a difference between my fake Billy/Smorgasbord example -- where Smorgasbord hasn't actually appeared on-screen or really been referenced in the non-flashback portions of the show -- and, say, Sara/Canary. We know that Sara becomes Canary, we know poo poo went down on that island, and the discussion is just speculating about what happened to turn her into Canary. It'd be different if the only Sara we had was her popping back up alive on the island and no Canary in present-time, but people kept saying, "Oh man, I can't wait for Sara to come back as Canary! It's going to blow Oliver's mind!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

xeria posted:

It'd be different if the only Sara we had was her popping back up alive on the island and no Canary in present-time, but people kept saying, "Oh man, I can't wait for Sara to come back as Canary! It's going to blow Oliver's mind!"

That's kind of a bad example actually. Sara doesn't exist on the comics and such she was a OG character that nobody really cared about (and I seem to remember that a lot of people was upset during season 1 for her fridging, calling it cheap writing or something similar) the speculation runned rampant about Laurel since in the comics she's Black Canary and GA's girlfriend.

Then we got the Canary reveal and everyone got their mind blowed since nobody was expecting for the writers to going there (same as happened with Slade´s reveal in fact)

Personal preferences in the end, but I think that having speculation about the series taking as base the comics make the actual series way more interesting when our expectations are subverted.

• Locked thread