Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Krowley posted:

They did mention District 13, right towards the end. They don't go into any details about what happened there but it isn't exactly hard to piece together.

Actually President Snow mentioned it toward the beginning of the movie, if I recall correctly. He said he'd turn District 12 into nothing but radioactive waste or something like that, like District 13. I think it was just those two mentions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Awesome movie. I can't really add anymore to what's been said already. But the film was just long enough and had lots of nice nuances in it built up from the themes of the first one.

With this new wave of book-adapted, teen-to-20's demographic movies, I hope future ones take note of this rather than the trash put out so far.

Because, as Twilight taught us, why have two people with complex emotions being pulled in different directions - slowly pulled together by a complex ever-changing situation outside of their immediate control when you can have:

:smugdog: "RAARGH, I looove you"
;-* "Nope"
:chord: "RAAARH, I lurrrve you"
;-* "Sounds good to me, guy two."
*#guyoneisdreamy :qq: I hope she chooses guy one*
*#teamguytwo :ohdear: ZOMG guy two 4lyfe. YOLO*

Edit:

Can I add that the advertising was REALLY ubiquitous before the movie.

Martin Freeman coming on screen to tell me how good the trailer I'm about to watch is?

Celebrate the Hunger Games (a film about people starving under a totalitarian government) by eating a nice Subway sandwich.

The film is about to start, just enough time to get A COKE and SOME SNACKS (no there isn't).

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 29, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

spikenigma posted:

Edit:

Can I add that the advertising was REALLY ubiquitous before the movie.

Martin Freeman coming on screen to tell me how good the trailer I'm about to watch is?

Celebrate the Hunger Games (a film about people starving under a totalitarian government) by eating a nice Subway sandwich.

The film is about to start, just enough time to get A COKE and SOME SNACKS (no there isn't).

Do you mean obnoxious? Because yeah, gently caress off people introducing the trailer we're about to see, that is a trend I do NOT want to see catching on.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I didn't get the Martin Freeman thing (presumably for Hobbit) - was that for IMAX or something? All I remember is a couple of trailers for movies that seemed a lot like Hunger Games, like Divergent and one or two others.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I didn't get the Martin Freeman thing (presumably for Hobbit) - was that for IMAX or something? All I remember is a couple of trailers for movies that seemed a lot like Hunger Games, like Divergent and one or two others.

Mine was in England. We got the introduced hobbit trailer, Divergent (MAN does that look lovely), Subway, I think we got a Walter Mitty one too, Frozen and maybe one or two others.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kind of unrelated question - do you guys get the commercials in the same format as we do in Canada? Here you get all the commercials, then all the trailers, and then the movie. Is it like that in the UK or are the commercials interspersed through the trailers?

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Kind of unrelated question - do you guys get the commercials in the same format as we do in Canada? Here you get all the commercials, then all the trailers, and then the movie. Is it like that in the UK or are the commercials interspersed through the trailers?

Yep, it's the same. The Odeon (or whatever) advertises their own services, then a bunch of car and videogame ads usually, then trailers, then an annoying Orange movies skit, then our ratings agency cert and movie.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Yep, it's the same. The Odeon (or whatever) advertises their own services, then a bunch of car and videogame ads usually, then trailers, then an annoying Orange movies skit, then our ratings agency cert and movie.

:stare: Jesus, this is a thing now? Regular ads and trailers already annoy me enough to go in late but having to sit through painful youtube videos would just make me stay home and watch netflix instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In the US at least there's random bullshit before the film but the time printed on the ticket is usually when the film previews start.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

computer parts posted:

In the US at least there's random bullshit before the film but the time printed on the ticket is usually when the film previews start.

Yep, here there may be local business ads or whatever on the screen while the lights are still on, people are filing in to take their seats, etc. Then usually an ad for the theatre itself & concessions before the lights go down and the film previews start. Rarely prior to those you might see a military recruitment ad or a commercial, but that seems to have started just the past couple years and it's usually not more than one or two if any at all.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I remember when it used to just be easy listening and I could settle in with some popcorn and jam out to Steve Winwood or Lionel Richie for ten minutes before the movie, now it's all advertisements. I'm old.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Krowley posted:

:stare: Jesus, this is a thing now? Regular ads and trailers already annoy me enough to go in late but having to sit through painful youtube videos would just make me stay home and watch netflix instead.

The Orange ones weren't actually too bad and were mostly a funny way of delivering "OI, turn your phone off fuckstick!", the new EE ones with Kevin Bacon are really tedious.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Actually I might've misread the post. I thought he meant the Annoying Orange thing on youtube.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

computer parts posted:

Goddamn I really wish they did that here, especially for the AVX theatres where you can book your exact seat ahead of time and just roll in when the actual movie/previews are starting.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't be the only one who hates getting to a movie any later than like 20 minutes early? Its 50% liking previews, 50% seat-sperging.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I can't be the only one who hates getting to a movie any later than like 20 minutes early? Its 50% liking previews, 50% seat-sperging.

If I have to find a seat, then I'm with you. In the AVX theatres here, when you buy your ticket you can select the exact seat you want to sit in on a chart and then you're assigned that particular seat, so it's cool to roll in right when the previews start.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Getting there early has become easier since the advent of smartphones to pass the time. Back in the day you had to find the sweet spot between getting a good seat on opening night, and being bored to death waiting for the flick to start.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I miss when I was a little kid and they just had nothing but some music playing before the trailers. That way you could have a conversation with someone. I like getting at least fifteen minutes early, but the blaring and obnoxious First Looks which make it nearly impossible to carry on a conversation make it an awkward experience.

I enjoyed it, but I think it really should have taken better advantage of the third person nature of the film as opposed to the first nature of the novels which really hindered the ending of the novel in some ways. I could have done with them showing more of District 12 during the games and it would made the screen time spent on Gale more worthwhile if we saw him save Katniss's family from the bombs. I know that the movie was already pushing it in terms of runtime, but honestly the actual games dragged a bit and could have been shortened significantly.

My favorite part of the film was Stanley Tucci's turn when the contestants hold hands. I had always read the character as being like Effie, simply naive. But Tucci really sells how [spoiler]loving bitter he was when the tributes stop playing the game with a simple and jarring look.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

My favorite part of the film was Stanley Tucci's turn when the contestants hold hands. I had always read the character as being like Effie, simply naive. But Tucci really sells how [spoiler]loving bitter he was when the tributes stop playing the game with a simple and jarring look.

Really? I figured it was more "okay, I've lost the plot, what the hell is going on, knock it off" than any bitterness. I feel the scene that more directly informed his character in the second film was when he said (and I'm paraphrasing) ":smith: We're going to have to say goodbye to all but one of these people. :smith: *beat* :supaburn: :swoon: ALRIGHT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN LET'S MEET THEM! :swoon: :supaburn:" it's a strange case of a Known Fake Character being so fake that it's surprising, even within the context of a Known Fake Character.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to bring up in my this-bothers-me-more-than-I-should post earlier: it's kinda weird that after seventy-five years, the audience is still supposedly there for the Games, especially in the Capitol. Capitol society strikes me as strongly into the Next Big Thing, and like a kid with extra-strong ADHD, keeping the populace excited for it for so long (especially with QQs only every 25 years) would be hard.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 30, 2013

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

THE RED MENACE posted:

Did anyone else confuse Jeffrey Wright for Jordan Peele until his first line? Does Cinna die because I don't think I could handle that :ohdear:.

There were a few times where he'd come on screen and I'd chuckle at the thought of whatever scene I was watching being a K&P sketch. They were actually pretty inappropriate times to be laughing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, and another thing I forgot to bring up in my this-bothers-me-more-than-I-should post earlier: it's kinda weird that after seventy-five years, the audience is still supposedly there for the Games, especially in the Capitol. Capitol society strikes me as strongly into the Next Big Thing, and like a kid with extra-strong ADHD, keeping the populace excited for it for so long (especially with QQs only every 25 years) would be hard.

Modern society is fickle when it comes to fashion and entertainment, but sports aren't going anywhere. We still get excited for the olympics, the soccer world cup, various country-specific leagues and contests in local sports. Remember that every hunger games IS new; new contestants, new fashions from the stylists, new dangers in the arena. The presence and basic nature of the games may be fixed, but the details are constantly changing, and in any case they are being TOLD to like it by a government controlled media machine.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

THE RED MENACE posted:

Did anyone else confuse Jeffrey Wright for Jordan Peele until his first line?
Oh good, I wasn't the only one. Regardless, he and Finnick's actors were fantastic and spot-on to how I imagined them after finishing the book an hour before the movie. Jenna Malone as Johanna was pretty dreadful, though. She had some good physical acting (someone mentioned the perpetual sneer she wore, which was great), but her delivery felt like she was auditioning for a middle school play.

I'm not tremendously into the books but I'm visiting family for Thanksgiving and I went with my two elementary-school-aged cousins and they went bonkers (though one of them hid every time she knew someone was about to get killed off), and overall I thought it was pretty good myself. Much more polished than the first. I have Mockingjay laying around somewhere at home and I'll probably start on that soon.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

There've been 109 World Series and 47 Super Bowls. Don't look at the Hunger Games as pop culture, the Hunger Games is sports.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Really? I figured it was more "okay, I've lost the plot, what the hell is going on, knock it off" than any bitterness. I feel the scene that more directly informed his character in the second film was when he said (and I'm paraphrasing) ":smith: We're going to have to say goodbye to all but one of these people. :smith: *beat* :supaburn: :swoon: ALRIGHT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN LET'S MEET THEM! :swoon: :supaburn:" it's a strange case of a Known Fake Character being so fake that it's surprising, even within the context of a Known Fake Character.
I think he knew exactly what they were doing, but part of it is losing the plot. Even with Joanna, he can spin her anger into comedy. He couldn't do anything with the hand holding. They had taken control, and had turned his show into propaganda. Maybe bitterness isn't the right word, but like I said, his reaction showed that he's not Effie. He knows exactly what his role in all of this is.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
He knows his role and the consequences if the audience starts reacting in the wrong way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, but the look he gave wasn't really of worry. He looked pissed off to me.

Reflecting on the movie, I liked it, but I still have some problems. I think the Capitol is going to remain an underwhelming aspects of these films. It's totally serviceable, but its architecture seems generic and without vision and there is a lacking in the grotesqueness of its people and the costuming is often boring and cheap looking.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

To me he kinda looked like someone who would get chewed out later for losing control of the narrative they're trying to present.

The games master from the first movie got killed for something kinda similar, so they clearly don't take lightly on that stuff.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Having just rewatched the first film today, it seems like the issues of the later books/films could have been entirely avoided. If they had let Katniss and Peeta die at the end, sure there'd be some problems with having no victor, but at least the Capitol could have controlled the narrative entirely then, without any silly living people to contradict the story of the star-crossed lovers.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I hope peeta hooks up with axe girl, he deserves better than that two timing squirrel eating redneck bitch.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The HBO film "Conspiracy" is one of my all time favorite movies. So when the other day I discovered that Caesar was played by none other than Stanley Tucci I was weirded out for a bit.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think he knew exactly what they were doing, but part of it is losing the plot. Even with Joanna, he can spin her anger into comedy. He couldn't do anything with the hand holding. They had taken control, and had turned his show into propaganda. Maybe bitterness isn't the right word, but like I said, his reaction showed that he's not Effie. He knows exactly what his role in all of this is.

Yeah. The books say Caesar can turn even a bad interview into a memorable one. He's an intelligent man and he's good at his job, despite the facade. You're seeing a mixture of worry and anger that he has been bested in that expression.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Wow. So this movie has plenty of flaws and out-and-out cheesy or stupid moments, but it's pretty much exactly what I was hoping the first movie would be. Now I wish I hadn't been lazy and gotten around to updating the OP with Catching Fire's info, but to be honest I wasn't particularly interested in it despite the trailers looking decent. It's still definitely young adult fare but much more enjoyable — I think the reason I'm as happy with it as I am is because it finally got some teeth and actually showed some serious moments and deaths with some gravitas. The entire first movie felt so flat, and like it was really ashamed of being a violent movie at heart. Catching Fire didn't seem nearly as gunshy about showing nasty stuff going down.

The acting overall was significantly better too. Maybe that was just because some more interesting things were happening, but I was pleasantly surprised by some of the new characters.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I didn't like the first movie that much due to the same reason I didn't like the books when I read them. Having been a big fan of The Most Dangerous Game and The Long Walk and <the book/movie that shall not be named> long before reading Hunger Games, the YA softening of the brutality in both of those novels hurt, not only the emotional response of what the characters were going through, but also the underlying commentary of the novels. It felt like they touched on good things, but held back from going all the way. The first movie exemplified this in how it was shot, as it too obviously hid the violence, and generally felt too upbeat/bright for the subject matter (even outside of the purposeful contrast in the film itself).

The second book was my least favorite of the three on top of that, so i wasn't expecting much with this, but, surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. It was directed/edited quite well, drawing much more emotion out of moments than I felt while reading them, and the acting was great.

Also James Newton Howard's scoring is knocking it out of the park, seriously. These scores are completely underrated.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

redcheval posted:

Wow. So this movie has plenty of flaws and out-and-out cheesy or stupid moments, but it's pretty much exactly what I was hoping the first movie would be. Now I wish I hadn't been lazy and gotten around to updating the OP with Catching Fire's info, but to be honest I wasn't particularly interested in it despite the trailers looking decent. It's still definitely young adult fare but much more enjoyable — I think the reason I'm as happy with it as I am is because it finally got some teeth and actually showed some serious moments and deaths with some gravitas. The entire first movie felt so flat, and like it was really ashamed of being a violent movie at heart. Catching Fire didn't seem nearly as gunshy about showing nasty stuff going down.
See, I really felt the opposite way. I know people hated the shakey cam and quick cuts, but I think the first movie did a better job of really showing the brutality of it all. I don't think there is anything in the actual 75th games that is as brutal as this. The brutality came more from the touring of the districts, but even then, in the purposefully obscured way of the first film.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012
That makes sense in the context of this movie, though. The violence in the Districts is being obscured from Katniss, Peeta, and . . . well, everybody other than government forces. It's not meant to be shown full-tilt. The horror of it is magnified by the fact that we know we're only seeing bits and pieces, and that what's been going on behind closed doors must be a hundred times worse.

It's not really comparable to the first movie. In that one, the violence was obscured for the benefit of the movie audience/to get a PG-13 rating. In this one, it's obscured for the characters themselves.

quote:

Jenna Malone as Johanna was pretty dreadful, though. She had some good physical acting (someone mentioned the perpetual sneer she wore, which was great), but her delivery felt like she was auditioning for a middle school play.

I'm surprised she's gotten some good reviews for her performance. I thought she was awful (and the only real weak spot among the cast). Then again, she's one of those actors that I can never see as anything other than themselves, so that might be coloring my assessment.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

MadRhetoric posted:

e: Straight-up, this is the only movie I've walked out on. I've seen some terrible rear end movies, but none of them forced me out of the theater.

If you approach this movie as a very slightly intelligent action-drama (intelligent in the sense that you don't have to think about it, but some vaguely moral issues are basically shouted at you) then you'd probably quite like it. I went with a female friend who is into this sort of garbage and thought it was brilliant.

If you approach it as a science fiction future dystopian film it brings absolutely nothing new to the table except some tired old cliches. Oh, the Gamesmaster was in on it? Never saw that coming! If anyone is expecting anything which actually gets deeper than "distract people then whip them" save your money.

A minority of people will hate even the best movies and it seems MadRhetoric and I are the minority this time around.

Also, Phillip Seymour Hoffman was atrociously bad.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I hated it too. It's just phenomenally cheesy.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

aslan posted:

I'm surprised she's gotten some good reviews for her performance. I thought she was awful (and the only real weak spot among the cast). Then again, she's one of those actors that I can never see as anything other than themselves, so that might be coloring my assessment.

I'm with you, it was a pretty poor performance. In the books you wouldn't know she was only 4-5 years older than Katniss and Peeta, because she's written with the personality and behavior of someone who's 35. If it didn't specifically tell you she was like 20 or 21, you'd think she was a grown-rear end woman. She's completely anarchistic but in a very mature and (usually) calm way, save for a few outbursts. Most of her anarchy are quiet little "gently caress yous" to the system, like getting naked every time they put her in Capitol clothing or just saying "nah" and not participating in the day's events because gently caress you.

In the movie she came across as a petulant teenager, and it kind of blew the whole character. Gonna be hard for her to come into her real role in Mockingjay now off this.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

One thing I didn't quite get, the locket Peeta took in with the photos of Kat's family and Gale, was that always part of a plan to harden her up/remind her what she's fighting for when the revolution starts? That's pretty clever manipulation from Peeta if so and can't have been easy for him.

It's part of Peeta's personal plan to make sure that Katniss doesn't try to sacrifice herself for him.

Remember, Katniss goes into the games with the sole purpose of making sure that Peeta survives. Peeta goes in to make sure that Katniss survives. Peeta used the locket to remind Katniss that she has to live for Prim and her Mom and Gale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It's also a bit of character exposition for Peeta, reinforcing the whole "Peeta doesn't care about anything except Katniss' happiness" thing I posted about earlier.

• Locked thread