Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Hey guys, I've just been working in the outback for the past three months and I took the entire P&R series with me. I've just gotten back and watched all of Season 6. Just wanted to say I love this show. It's just incredibly well written, acted and has so much heart.

There's going be a series 7, right?

Also, is there some sort of Knope Waffle recipe I should be following? Because I really want waffles whenever I watch this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Andrew_1985 posted:

There's going be a series 7, right?

Outlook is dire.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also, is there some sort of Knope Waffle recipe I should be following? Because I really want waffles whenever I watch this show.

I always get jealous of the loving JJ's waffles. I've never seen waffles that look like that or are that crunchy in real life! I tried getting a couple of expensive waffles with ice cream in town, but they're always soggy as poo poo :smith:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I always get jealous of the loving JJ's waffles. I've never seen waffles that look like that or are that crunchy in real life! I tried getting a couple of expensive waffles with ice cream in town, but they're always soggy as poo poo :smith:

Are they soggy because you're putting loving ice cream on them?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Are they soggy because you're putting loving ice cream on them?

Naw, that's a thing waffle vendors typically do in this country instead of using whipped cream/syrup. It doesn't matter, though, they're soggy to begin with.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Pretty much the only goddamn way a waffle can be soggy is if it had been frozen before you put it in a toaster. Or I guess if you left ice cream on it for 20 minutes before serving it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If the waffle isn't coming straight from a batter to a waffle iron to your plate it's bullshit.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

WarEternal posted:

Pretty much the only goddamn way a waffle can be soggy is if it had been frozen before you put it in a toaster. Or I guess if you left ice cream on it for 20 minutes before serving it.

The hell?

I'm pretty much nthing what Mu Zeta said in this case.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you want some drat fine waffles and you live in the South, go to a Waffle House. It's a chain, but the food is cheap and awesome, plus they're open 24 hours. Best waffles I've ever had, and I've had Belgian waffles at some fancy-pants brunch places. Leslie Knope would even agree, and Ron would appreciate their breakfasts and cheap and surprisingly good cheeseburgers.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you want some drat fine waffles and you live in the South, go to a Waffle House. It's a chain, but the food is cheap and awesome, plus they're open 24 hours. Best waffles I've ever had, and I've had Belgian waffles at some fancy-pants brunch places. Leslie Knope would even agree, and Ron would appreciate their breakfasts and cheap and surprisingly good cheeseburgers.

Oh my god I can only assume you are trying to get as many goons killed as possible. Waffle House looks and smells like a pit, the food is terrible, and you are probably more likely to be stabbed in one than a Hell's Angels rally.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Waffle irons are like 15 bucks at Target.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm rewatching seasons 2-5, because the first one is whatevs.

I just realized that Ben is wearing his Letters to Cleo t-shirt after he's resigned in disgrace, and that he picked REM (late 80s, early 90s) for his song for his Claymation. I just love the characterization and consistency. So good.

Oh and even some Eagleton residents from Filibuster! show up in the first Eagleton town meeting after the fence goes up. I think the description of Parks & Rec as a live action Simpsons is accurate, which makes sense considering some of the writers.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 29, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

Oh and even some Eagleton residents from Filibuster! show up in the first Eagleton town meeting after the fence goes up. I think the description of Parks & Rec as a live action Simpsons is accurate, which makes sense considering some of the writers.

Yeah, I definitely think it has a lot of the same tone and appeal as the early Simpsons seasons. It's not quite pushing as many boundaries, but I've definitely noticed a correlation as well. That's why I always find it so mystifying when people use the "Simpsons isn't worse than it used to be, take off the rose-tinted glasses bro :smuggo:" argument. No, the talented writers just went on to do other great stuff instead, like P&R.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Boywhiz88 posted:

I just realized that Ben is wearing his Letters to Cleo t-shirt after he's resigned in disgrace, and that he picked REM (late 80s, early 90s) for his song for his Claymation. I just love the characterization and consistency. So good.

I was just watching the Filibuster episode and I didn't realize before but the guy at the arcade is Morris, the dude who was complaining about Donna tweeting spoilers of Death Canoe. I don't know why this kind of thing constantly impresses me on this show but it does

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Waffle House waffles are mediocre to terrible, you need to branch out and try some better stuff. When you are drunk at 3am, Waffle House is acceptable, but it is nowhere near "best waffles".

Alton Brown has a good waffle recipe to start with:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/basic-waffle-recipe/index.html

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There's actually an Indiana-based chain called Waffle House that was formerly known as the Sunshine Cafe. Their food is by no means high end, but it isn't absolutely disgusting like the Waffle House chain is. Many of their locations, including the long time one in Bloomington, have closed, but there's still a few out there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was a regular at the Bloomington Waffle House. RIP.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Macaluso posted:

I was just watching the Filibuster episode and I didn't realize before but the guy at the arcade is Morris, the dude who was complaining about Donna tweeting spoilers of Death Canoe. I don't know why this kind of thing constantly impresses me on this show but it does

He's also the same guy who keeps talking about how you can download anything you want from the Internet in the episode with the video store bailout.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Actually, I went back to Season 2, looking for plot holes...

It was not air tight. In the hunting episode, after it's revealed that Tom didn't have a hunting license, Ron yells at him saying that they're important.

In the recent episode where Ron goes hunting with Donna, she suggests they need a license and they BOTH LAUGH.

I sure hope someone got fired for that boner.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

It was not air tight. In the hunting episode, after it's revealed that Tom didn't have a hunting license, Ron yells at him saying that they're important.

In the recent episode where Ron goes hunting with Donna, she suggests they need a license and they BOTH LAUGH.

I sure hope someone got fired for that boner.

Also in Fancy Party (Season 3), they bring up that Ron has 3 ex-wives, which goes against the common mythology of 2 ex-wives named Tammy at that point.

Morris is the writer Joe Mande, other cameos from writers include Harris Wittels as Harris the Animal Control guy and Megan Amram as one half of the hipster couple trying to buy Ron's cabin. Mike Scully has also played a citizen or two.

The part in Filibuster where the teenaged manager yells at Morris though is loving great.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

To be fair, Tom had just shot him in the head.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also in Fancy Party (Season 3), they bring up that Ron has 3 ex-wives, which goes against the common mythology of 2 ex-wives named Tammy at that point.

No, they just bring up that he's been married three times, since he had re-married and re-divorced Tammy 2.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 30, 2013

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
There's also "Pawnee Zoo", where Ron says the Pawnee gay club, The Bulge, is behind his house. If that's still true after what's been established about where Ron lives in later seasons, then that's one club, gay or straight, that I do not want to go to.

Also, I can't remember when, but I'm pretty sure we've seen Jerry's name as "Jerry" written somewhere before the Gary-reveal.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

El Tortuga posted:

There's also "Pawnee Zoo", where Ron says the Pawnee gay club, The Bulge, is behind his house. If that's still true after what's been established about where Ron lives in later seasons, then that's one club, gay or straight, that I do not want to go to.
Well, Ron does have four cabins. Er, two cabins. Just two cabins.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

ChesterJT posted:

Oh my god I can only assume you are trying to get as many goons killed as possible. Waffle House looks and smells like a pit, the food is terrible, and you are probably more likely to be stabbed in one than a Hell's Angels rally.

You couldn't be more wrong about Waffle House. It's a much safer place than it looks. I've even seen quite a few of them with those 'Safe Place' signs for children. Which makes sense because Waffle waitresses would know how to handle the madman chasing your child. They deal with crazy people for a living.

I have no idea why you would go to Waffle House before sunset though.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The most interesting thing about Waffle House is that they're so determined to be up and running no matter what that they're almost always the first thing working after a natural disaster. In fact they're so consistent with their emergency response and planning that the new director of FEMA has a scale used to measure the destruction of a disaster based on how long Waffle House stayed closed.

Anywho, loving loved the last two episodes. I misunderstood Chris and thought he got Ben the job in Ann Arbor. Woops. I need more run discussing literary themes in my life along with Leslie/Jamm fun times.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

Morris is the writer Joe Mande, other cameos from writers include Harris Wittels as Harris the Animal Control guy and Megan Amram as one half of the hipster couple trying to buy Ron's cabin. Mike Scully has also played a citizen or two.

The part in Filibuster where the teenaged manager yells at Morris though is loving great.

Also, Chelsea Peretti shows up sometime late season 4 in one of the meetings that April is trying to run while Leslie is campaigning.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I think there's a chance that Mona Lisa is better than Jean Ralphio.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think there's a chance that Mona Lisa is better than Jean Ralphio.

I'd say in small doses like rafi from the league.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

bobkatt013 posted:

The entire cast will most likely be leaving after this season.

I'm currently in deep denial that that's happening... :downs:

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
gateway error double post

wilbur.walsh fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2013

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One thing that really confused me about these recent episodes, since when was it established that Leslie losing the recall election means she'll be losing her P&R job also? When she was talking about how, between the recall loss and Ben's firing they'll both be unemployed and have nothing to do, that seemed like it came out of nowhere.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I noticed that except same thing while rewatching the recent episodes last night. Not sure what the deal is with that, because isn't she still doing P&R work full time technically, and City Council on the side? Weird.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If she's also fired from the Parks job she can go take over Animal Control and the show can go on another 5 years with Brett and Harris.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

If she's also fired from the Parks job she can go take over Animal Control and the show can go on another 5 years with Brett and Harris.

Animal Control was absorbed into Parks, remember? But I really do hope we get some more Harris this season. His running phrase of "down to clown" is great, specifically when Tom tries to hook him and Ann up in Operation Ann, and when he interviews for his job back in Animal Control.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Wasn't it so that she cut back on her hours in a major way during her campaign+council position and she wouldn't have a fulltime job left at P&R?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I can't believe we had a discussion about plot holes and no one brought up Ron claiming in one episode this season to have never told a joke. It came up multiple times, too, which made for a really bizarre plot point. Granted that whole episode was one of the weaker ones so I don't mind just ignoring it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Like many libertarians, what Ron says he believes, and his practices don't always jibe. I wouldn't call it a plot hole.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zedd posted:

Wasn't it so that she cut back on her hours in a major way during her campaign+council position and she wouldn't have a fulltime job left at P&R?

I don't remember this at all. If anything, I think it was the opposite, that they made a big point over how the council position is part time so she can still be the parks director. Even though I'd think that'd be a big conflict of interest itself...

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm also doing a selective (and mostly haphazard) rewatch, but all it does is make me sad that our dream of Perd-vert gangtags was so quickly extinguished.

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't remember this at all. If anything, I think it was the opposite, that they made a big point over how the council position is part time so she can still be the parks director. Even though I'd think that'd be a big conflict of interest itself...

She agrees to cut back to ten hours during Jerry's Sweet Sixteen, but it's framed as voluntary and more of a leave of absence. I don't know that it got addressed post-election, but unemployed Leslie was a shock to me as well.

E: Specifically, I can't remember Leslie doing any Parks and Rec work as opposed to council work that happened to be in close collaboration with the Parks gang. It's not like Chris has been impartial since the first episodes of Season 3, though, so conflicts of interest aren't much of a thing in Pawnee.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Nickoten posted:

I can't believe we had a discussion about plot holes and no one brought up Ron claiming in one episode this season to have never told a joke. It came up multiple times, too, which made for a really bizarre plot point. Granted that whole episode was one of the weaker ones so I don't mind just ignoring it.

Ron disseminating inconsistent and unreliable information about himself is never a plot hole.

• Locked thread