Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

psymonkey posted:

I think what you are looking for is this educational video series about a game called Captain Novolin from the year 2007, the golden age of LPs.

Since this is the recommendation thread, I'm going to put a legitimate recommendation for Captain Novolin. I think I've watched that thing 3 or 4 times. It's short, very funny, and lighthearted. Excellent for making a boring afternoon better. Shame that google video is busted, but the avi downloads are there and they're light because the videos are so short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

psymonkey posted:

I think what you are looking for is this educational video series about a game called Captain Novolin from the year 2007, the golden age of LPs.

Uh, thanks, but that's not really it.

It turns out however that I'm an idiot and the LP I'm looking for was not on this forum :doh:
For anyone interested, you can find it here: http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=7617

Still, I'd appreciate it if anyone can recommend similar LPs; I'm actually surprised that nobody has shown off Creatures before.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

scissorman posted:

I vaguely remember there being an LP of Sim Life or Sim Earth but I can't find it in the LP master list.

Not sure if there is a better place to be asking this, but is the LP master list still up to date? How often is it updated?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

cmndstab posted:

Not sure if there is a better place to be asking this, but is the LP master list still up to date? How often is it updated?

Yeah I am kinda curious about this too. It seems like some things get added sooner than others, is it basically just various individuals with logins going and updating things as they see/find them? Mine's been going over 2 months and it's not there, is it because it's tiny, not done yet, or have I messed up by not submitting a link or something to somebody?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

skoolmunkee posted:

Yeah I am kinda curious about this too. It seems like some things get added sooner than others, is it basically just various individuals with logins going and updating things as they see/find them? Mine's been going over 2 months and it's not there, is it because it's tiny, not done yet, or have I messed up by not submitting a link or something to somebody?

I searched for some LPs I've read in the past three months or so, and only those that got archived were found, regardless of their popularity or completion status...

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Why's there a search filter for ongoing then? I mean, maybe most of those are actually abandoned. But I know that Ritchey's DR2 lp is listed there and it's not done yet, so is Dyslexiactic's High School Dreams one, Sundowner's Bioshock Infinite, cKnoor's Don't Starve... but then Geop's The Last of Us isn't.

I'm not complaining, I just don't understand how the list is maintained I guess, and how people might add to it?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
That's something I would like to know too, actually. My Rise of the Samurai thread was on the master list the day after I posted it, but my current Shogun 2 one is not. It all seems a bit random.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

It's all user updated, login info is in the sandcastle OP. If you see things missing or wrong, feel free to add them yourself.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Edit: Nevermind, the post above answered it! I'm dumb :v:

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

shalcar posted:

That's something I would like to know too, actually. My Rise of the Samurai thread was on the master list the day after I posted it, but my current Shogun 2 one is not. It all seems a bit random.

It's not an automated process; the master list is edited by anyone with the login (i.e. basically anyone who posts on the forums). Therefore, you can post your LP in the master list yourself if you're so inclined. And, in case you're curious where to find that information, check the Sandcastle, first post or second if I'm not mistaken.

E: welp, beaten.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Ptarmigans posted:

It's all user updated, login info is in the sandcastle OP. If you see things missing or wrong, feel free to add them yourself.

I must have read that op a dozen times. How the hell did I manage to miss that? :psyduck:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to remember the name of a ridiculous, amateur-made graphic novel with a dumb name and a looped Beethoven (?) composition for soundtrack that was LP'd some time ago. It was notable because the author actually dropped into the thread.

Anybody able to help?

VVVV
Yes! You are truly a Good Samaritan, Admiral!

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 2, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
"Torn Apart: Over the Net; Kay"?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a ridiculous, amateur-made graphic novel with a dumb name and a looped Beethoven (?) composition for soundtrack that was LP'd some time ago. It was notable because the author actually dropped into the thread.

Anybody able to help?

Do you mean Torn Apart: Over the Net; Kay?

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
E: Beaten, but I have a link for minor convenience: Torn Apart: Over the Net; Kay by FirstAidKite.

E2: Christ.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Thanks for the info on the LP Master List, guys! I've also read the Sandcastle OP several times and somehow missed that :saddowns:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Coolguye posted:

I certainly haven't ruled that out, but CoD1 was about 200% more work than I had originally thought, and there was a lot more interest in the CoD1 thread for me to do CoD2 next.

You promised X-Com, and you will deliver. :mad:

I want to give a shoutout to Edo Animus' Draksiders II. Jeff and David are always fun (editing and quality are top notch as usual), and Jeff is breaking the game open (quite literally in some cases :v:) and showing Low-Level boss fights, the different weapons, and the thread's been adding Concept Art.

Be warned, though; it's definitely no place for a horse.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

skoolmunkee posted:

Why's there a search filter for ongoing then? I mean, maybe most of those are actually abandoned. But I know that Ritchey's DR2 lp is listed there and it's not done yet, so is Dyslexiactic's High School Dreams one, Sundowner's Bioshock Infinite, cKnoor's Don't Starve... but then Geop's The Last of Us isn't.

I'm not complaining, I just don't understand how the list is maintained I guess, and how people might add to it?

Speaking of, I would like to request that twodaylife's neverhood lp be archived. It's listed as ongoing. It's not.

He explicitly finished neverhood and skullmonkeys with bonus content, the only thing that was possibly going to come next was bonus content of a really lovely side game no one cares about.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ptarmigans posted:

Cool. I, too, somehow missed this. Glad someone inquired.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's like we all failed some integral reading test. I have shame. :eng99:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Unless :siren: sirens :siren: bookend a particular word or phrase, I ignore pretty much every word ever posted in Something Awful.

I'm kidding. I genuinely feel pretty silly for missing what, in retrospect, is a pretty obvious and clear portion of that thread. Oh well

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^^This reminds me that I need to recommend your and nine gear crow's ongoing LP of Shadows of the Empire. I played it a ton as a kid and I didn't realize how sort of ahead of its time it was in that era. It uses elements of shooters, platformers, racing games, turret sections, arcade flight games and more. The LPers have good chemistry and a central theme of the LP is the lore behind the game, which is contradictory at best, completely different from one medium to the other at the worst. a solid watch/read.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone have a non lovely lp of Outlast?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Kind of an extension of a question I asked in the sandcastle:

Anyone here know any good Japanese LP's(obviously off-site)? All I can find are gimmicks(the guy who acts like an old man or the guy who sticks his head in an aquarium whenever Mario is underwater) or YouTube scarecam LP's of slender. Considering how many games exist that never made it out of Japan I'm hoping that there's a subdivision of 実況's that is somewhat more like the SomethingAwful approach, but I might be a bit too optimistic.

heroiccreampuff
May 29, 2012

penguins love soccer

NeilPerry posted:

Anyone here know any good Japanese LP's(obviously off-site)?
I'm a bit confused by your question here--you're looking for Japanese people, playing untranslated Japanese games, while talking in Japanese? If so, you should probably be looking on Nico(which requires you to make an account) instead of Youtube or Blip. I know every time I make the mistake of trying to look up game cutscenes on there I get about a million LP videos instead. Don't watch them myself so I can't vouch for quality; enter at your own peril.

Or are you looking for a native Japanese person playing an untranslated game while giving an accurate narrative/intelligible commentary in English? I'm not sure where you could find any collective number of those. It'd be easier to find a non-native who knows enough Japanese to translate the gist of what's going on, and there's a couple really good ones of that sort on SA itself. So are you looking for Japanese LPers, or Japanese games being LPed?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Has anyone LPed the new bad SimCity?

I want to see it in action but have no will to subject myself to it.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

heroiccreampuff posted:

I'm a bit confused by your question here--you're looking for Japanese people, playing untranslated Japanese games, while talking in Japanese? If so, you should probably be looking on Nico(which requires you to make an account) instead of Youtube or Blip. I know every time I make the mistake of trying to look up game cutscenes on there I get about a million LP videos instead. Don't watch them myself so I can't vouch for quality; enter at your own peril.

Or are you looking for a native Japanese person playing an untranslated game while giving an accurate narrative/intelligible commentary in English? I'm not sure where you could find any collective number of those. It'd be easier to find a non-native who knows enough Japanese to translate the gist of what's going on, and there's a couple really good ones of that sort on SA itself. So are you looking for Japanese LPers, or Japanese games being LPed?

The first. The problem with Nico is that I don't know how to filter all the crap, so I was wondering about some specific recommendations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KittyEmpress posted:

Has anyone LPed the new bad SimCity?

I want to see it in action but have no will to subject myself to it.

SA's own Yukitsu did a bunch of SimCity videos under the "Relaxing with Yukitsu" label.

http://www.youtube.com/user/YukitsuTimes/videos

And he actually seems to like it. :catstare:

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Looking for a proper LP of arcanum? Any suggestions?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sneaky Fast posted:

Just check the lp archive dude.

http://lparchive.org/Arcanum/

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Which would you prefer: Narrative SSLP featuring the sort of broken person you'd need to be to 100% this game as a female, or Chris Avellone doing a VLP?

(sorry to get your hopes up on that last one, it has most likely been abandoned)

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
E: Beaten.

Sneaky Fast posted:

Yeah! Chris Avellone is doing one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO9Qa8KbeMc

Just kidding about the recommendation. His LP is pretty terrible. There's a narrative LP of arcanum here, but I've never read it.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Just check the lp archive dude.

http://lparchive.org/Arcanum/

I'm like a 1940's white male I need other people to do simple tasks for me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Does anyone here like wrestling? Like really over-the-top batshit crazy storyline wrestling? Because Smasher Dynamo is doing an LP of Total Extreme Wrestling 2013. It's a text-based game where you essentially play as the GM of your own wrestling league, setting up matches and going through story lines and everything. The game, by Smasher's own admission, isn't that great, but what he's going with it really elevates things.

It's essentially a season of user-generated content wrestling. You can submit a wrestler/tag team/stable of wrestlers, suggest gimmicks and plot points and feuds and try to push things to their absolute insanest. Smasher's got a great sense of humour and a good writing style, both pluses for a largely text-base LP, but would definitely help if he had a wider audience/idea pool to help generate more content, as he's considering shutting it down, and I really don't want that to happen to because it's an absolute blast so far.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
On that note, Senerio just finished the main run for the CYOA game SLAMMED!. It's shockingly good, and you can tell that whoever wrote the game loved wrestling. The OP also has a nice dictionary of wrassle terms in case you're like me and keep forgetting what a shoot/work is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm looking for a specific LP of an old space strategy/rpg/trading game, with multiple ending, the path taken in the LP led to the player becoming space jesus or something. Any clues?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Pierzak posted:

I'm looking for a specific LP of an old space strategy/rpg/trading game, with multiple ending, the path taken in the LP led to the player becoming space jesus or something. Any clues?

Escape Velocity: Nova?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That's the one, thanks.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I haven't really watched an LP in 2-3 years and am trying to play catch up: I loved when Dark Id played horrible games like Limbo of the Lost, what are some good LPs of bad games from the last year or two? Preferably, they're of lesser known games but I'd also be up for something like Proteus' "this is why Quake 2 actually sucks" angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

timeandtide posted:

I haven't really watched an LP in 2-3 years and am trying to play catch up: I loved when Dark Id played horrible games like Limbo of the Lost, what are some good LPs of bad games from the last year or two? Preferably, they're of lesser known games but I'd also be up for something like Proteus' "this is why Quake 2 actually sucks" angle.

Ride to Hell: Retribution is an awful, awful game and the LPers do it justice by being really drat funny. Definitely worth a watch.

On a different note, I'll put forth a recommendation for The Warriors. dscruffy1's commentary is non-intrusive and minimal, letting the game speak for itself. Which is good, because soundtrack and sound design are top-notch. The game combines visceral brawling action with a unique, very atmospheric setting and it's one of my favourite games on the PS2.

• Locked thread