Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Seen a Crate Palomino 32 combo for sale for under $300. Reviews seem to praise the tone, but I'm leery of the Crate name and I've heard they run hot. Was made in USA for reference.

Anything decent to look into?

Sockington fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Really thinking about it based on some audio clips.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sockington posted:

Seen a Crate Palomino 32 combo for sale for under $300. Reviews seem to praise the tone, but I'm leery of the Crate name and I've heard they run hot. Was made in USA for reference.

Anything decent to look into?

USA made ones are good to go. I have a Vietnamese one and those were recalled because they do run too hot, but if you have heat problems there are a few mods that you can do to fix it (and none of them are especially challenging). I say jump on it.

E: The gain is super super dark. Great clean channel and takes pedals well.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

USA made ones are good to go. I have a Vietnamese one and those were recalled because they do run too hot, but if you have heat problems there are a few mods that you can do to fix it (and none of them are especially challenging). I say jump on it.

Thanks for confirming. Going after work to give it a good hard run and see if I'll get my first tube amp. :allears:

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What mics do people prefer for guitar amps at live gigs? I want to use something a step up from a 57.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Sennheiser e609 does me pretty well, an added bonus is not needing a separate mic stand, just drape it over the cab. Much fuller frequency response compared to the 57.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

burritonegro posted:

What mics do people prefer for guitar amps at live gigs? I want to use something a step up from a 57.

Is the 57 not cutting it for live purposes? I personally use a US664A on my guitarist for live shows, generally aiming near the center of the speaker cone radius. Its an older mic that might be difficult to locate but is a fine addition for vocals and guitars in a live setting.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
It cuts it okay, but I'd rather hang a mic than use up more space and another stand.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Two Ampeg V2 heads have popped up on eBay in the last few weeks for stupid low prices. I forgot to bid on the first one, and I got out-sniped for the second one in the last five seconds of the auction. MOTHERFUCKER.

Sold for $358. I am so mad right now.

:argh:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

$358 is a great price. That's an early 70's blackline, too.

Although you're looking at around $150, give or take, to fully re-tube it. And that's on the lower end of the tube prices.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
$250 out the door and home. So god drat loud.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Peel that plastic off you monster.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sockington posted:

$250 out the door and home. So god drat loud.

yeahhhh boieeee

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

yeahhhh boieeee

Thanks for the encouragement to get it. Now to sell off my small Roland 40watt so I can just keep the V32 and the 80XL.

Got a practice the the guys on Friday night and I can't wait to drag this along.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

You speak the truth. Had a chance to stick a Boss OS-2 in front of it and that was awesome.

Thank you again for the recommendation.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
I have a Blackstar HT Club 40 and it's starting to make a popping noise sometimes. It always makes it when I'm not playing and does it in standby as well. It's like a low, slow hum that gradually gets louder followed by a pop, and then the hum starts back up again after the pop. I'm inclined to just take it back since it's still under warranty but if it's something worth troubleshooting I'm down to try it as well since this is my first tube amp.

Anyone else have this amp/another Blackstar? I bought it pretty much because you can dial in a good tone for heavy music very easily out of the box, it had really simple controls, and it was hard to get a bad sound out of really. It was between this and an AC30 and I know I would've been happier with the AC30 personally but reasoned that it would've cost much much more to dial in a sound for my band. I play drums in a band that does really technical d-beat stuff with just drums and one guitarist. Anyway we loved the Blackstar (and still do really) but now we're finding that despite a lack of other instruments you can't really hear what my guitar player is playing sometimes. It all just gets kind of muddy on the low end, especially with fuller chords, and it doesn't help that my guitarist and I are usually prone to tuning D standard. How well should this Blackstar take pedals? Am I right in thinking we need a good EQ, a compressor and maybe an OD to help reign the amp in a little? I'm admittedly not familiar with tube amps and effects besides what I've read about them.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Panda Bear posted:

I have a Blackstar HT Club 40 and it's starting to make a popping noise sometimes. It always makes it when I'm not playing and does it in standby as well. It's like a low, slow hum that gradually gets louder followed by a pop, and then the hum starts back up again after the pop. I'm inclined to just take it back since it's still under warranty but if it's something worth troubleshooting I'm down to try it as well since this is my first tube amp.

Anyone else have this amp/another Blackstar? I bought it pretty much because you can dial in a good tone for heavy music very easily out of the box, it had really simple controls, and it was hard to get a bad sound out of really. It was between this and an AC30 and I know I would've been happier with the AC30 personally but reasoned that it would've cost much much more to dial in a sound for my band. I play drums in a band that does really technical d-beat stuff with just drums and one guitarist. Anyway we loved the Blackstar (and still do really) but now we're finding that despite a lack of other instruments you can't really hear what my guitar player is playing sometimes. It all just gets kind of muddy on the low end, especially with fuller chords, and it doesn't help that my guitarist and I are usually prone to tuning D standard. How well should this Blackstar take pedals? Am I right in thinking we need a good EQ, a compressor and maybe an OD to help reign the amp in a little? I'm admittedly not familiar with tube amps and effects besides what I've read about them.

I've got one of the smaller blackstar amps (one without the three band eq). I can't say anything about the humming and popping, I'd probably take that back and get it replaced. I find an overdrive pedal is the key to a good heavy sound with these amps - they let a lot of bass through at the input and tightening that up really helps. Depending on how 'modern' your sound is an eq might help as well, but for d-beat i'm imagining a fairly vintage-y/not scooped sound. I wouldn't worry about a compressor. I think pedals sound great into these but there was a guy a few pages back who didn't think so; he didn't post what he was running and how though.

I like an sd-1 with the tone down into the non-boosted distortion channel. I'd try out a boss sd-1 and a tubescreamer and see which you like, they're both cheap and easily available.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
Thanks a lot for the reply; good stuff. I'm gonna have to try some OD pedals. That really scooped sound is what we'd like to avoid; our main guitar is a Fender tele and I'm playing a four piece jazz kit basically with a different kick and snare tuning so you're definitely right about wanting to try for a more "classic" tone while tightening it up.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Panda Bear posted:

That's generally either a filter cap, input bias resistor, or transformer failure i.e. nothing you want to fix on your own if it's still under warranty. Send it in for repair/replacement.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

comes along bort posted:

That's generally either a filter cap, input bias resistor, or transformer failure i.e. nothing you want to fix on your own if it's still under warranty. Send it in for repair/replacement.

does it go away when playing? have you played other tube amps in the house? does it do it at other locations?

The reason I ask is because I had a similar problem with me B25 and it was a grounding issue at the house, could also be a grounding issue with amp.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

We've actually only gotten it to happen in one room of the house so there maybe something to that. It doesn't happen when we're playing at all. We'll usually blast the amp for thirty or so minutes and then as soon as we stop the popping might start up. We switch to standby, the popping stays. I'll ask my guitarist if he's recreated the issue at his place since he borrowed it for a couple of days.

I guess it'd be worth taking back anyway and if it pops in the room again we'll know it's the house. My landlord actually put a bunch of extra outlets in the house and I get the impression that he is far from a qualified electrician so I wouldn't be surprised if they're all poorly grounded/ caused horrible electrical interference. Is there anything I can plug the amp into before the outlet or not?

Again thanks for the replies guys. Good thread

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You can try a power conditioner. The cheapest ones worth a poo poo are about $50, but they're not a bad investment.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anybody that plays guitar should always have one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instruments-GFI6302-Outlet-Tester/dp/B000RUL2UU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386384226&sr=8-1&keywords=outlet+tester

They're cheap and can save a lot of trouble.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

I have one and it even claims it is grounded, I am sure it is but it has some wonky interference going on.

Does anyone else have a tube amp they could being to see if it recreates the issue? Half the tube heads at my house (probably had 20+ come through) either does this or picks up radio. I would test it out, it maybe worth sending in but, if its good besides that and it will do it anyways with a new one, what's the point?

edit: it sounds almost exactly what my B25 does and to pull some non worry for you- it has gone without fault up and down the country and in and out of dozens of houses/basements.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If your amp is picking up radio signals, it's a shielding issue. Radio shack sells a converter that helps.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Changed the power tubes in my Deluxe Reverb Reissue today. owns

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

PIcked up a Kemper Profiling Amp today. This thing blows away the line 6 unit I have been using the past 7 years. I wish I would have jumped on this train a little sooner. This thing sounds amazing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

new speaker for the AC15, too. :woop:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

spaceship posted:

PIcked up a Kemper Profiling Amp today. This thing blows away the line 6 unit I have been using the past 7 years. I wish I would have jumped on this train a little sooner. This thing sounds amazing.

Congrats man! I played around with one of those things the other day and thought it sounded great. I've been using an Axe-Fx II for a while myself and if you'd have told me a few years ago that digital tech would be as good as it is now I'd have laughed, but as it is now I'd much rather take a Kemper or an Axe to a gig or the studio. Hell I'd even rather practice with them at home than with a tube amp.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 8, 2013

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

spaceship posted:

Oooh. I've always been intrigued by those. Can you run FX pedals through it like a normal amp, or does that mess with the modelling?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Who wants to talk about the Dark Terror? Yeah I'm still indecisive about amps but I'm starting to think the Dark Terror is a better buy than the Dual Terror.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Who wants to talk about the Dark Terror? Yeah I'm still indecisive about amps but I'm starting to think the Dark Terror is a better buy than the Dual Terror.

Get a used OR-15. I snagged one for under 500. I tried all the Tiny/Dark/Dual models, I really liked the OR-15 the most. Like it was considerably better sounding to my ears, but they were all pretty decent amps. Also it has an effects loop, while the terrors do not(I think).

Out of Tiny vs Dark terror though, the dark one sounds better IMO.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 10, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dirt posted:

Get a used OR-15. I snagged one for under 500. I tried all the Tiny/Dark/Dual models, I really liked the OR-15 the most. Like it was considerably better sounding to my ears, but they were all pretty decent amps. Also it has an effects loop, while the terrors do not(I think).

Out of Tiny vs Dark terror though, the dark one sounds better IMO.

Any specifics on what you liked more about the OR-15?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Any specifics on what you liked more about the OR-15?

It has considerably more balls.

When cranked up it goes from classic orange tones to full on stoner metal sludge with the gain dimed out.
Other differences: 3 EQ knobs vs 1 on the terrors, it has a an effects loop, and considerably more gain. I also think it looks cooler with it's "normal head" look versus the lunchbox look.

I snagged one used on ebay for I think 480 bucks, which is less than a new tiny terror would cost. If you can get a used one, go for it.

The Tiny Terror/ Dark Terror are nice amps though. Pretty much all Orange stuff is awesome. You can't really go wrong.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Sadsack posted:

Oooh. I've always been intrigued by those. Can you run FX pedals through it like a normal amp, or does that mess with the modelling?

I think one of the advantages of the AxeFX and Kemper are that they can model FX pedals too. Its a single unit which replaces hundreds of pounds worth of equipment.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dirt posted:

It has considerably more balls.

When cranked up it goes from classic orange tones to full on stoner metal sludge with the gain dimed out.
Other differences: 3 EQ knobs vs 1 on the terrors, it has a an effects loop, and considerably more gain. I also think it looks cooler with it's "normal head" look versus the lunchbox look.

I snagged one used on ebay for I think 480 bucks, which is less than a new tiny terror would cost. If you can get a used one, go for it.

The Tiny Terror/ Dark Terror are nice amps though. Pretty much all Orange stuff is awesome. You can't really go wrong.

You convinced me to spend most of today researching everything I could about the amp, and I think you're right. It doesn't have the versatility of the DT or the dark modern gain from the DkT but it seems meaty as hell. Are you able to get good cleans from it? I've heard a lot of mixed responses about that. I don't want fender cleans but I'd love to squeeze out some jazzy/dirty fusion tones. Again though, thanks for mentioning it. I passed the amp up since it seemed too straightforward but I obviously needed to actually, you know, give proper attention to it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

You convinced me to spend most of today researching everything I could about the amp, and I think you're right. It doesn't have the versatility of the DT or the dark modern gain from the DkT but it seems meaty as hell. Are you able to get good cleans from it? I've heard a lot of mixed responses about that. I don't want fender cleans but I'd love to squeeze out some jazzy/dirty fusion tones. Again though, thanks for mentioning it. I passed the amp up since it seemed too straightforward but I obviously needed to actually, you know, give proper attention to it.

It gets decent enough cleans, at high volume though you will need to roll back the guitar volume a tad to keep it really clean Pretty sure that's more to do with it being 15 watts than anything. It will definitely do a "dirty" clean like I think you are talking about.

If you have a guitar center anywhere near you, go try them out. The one near me hasa big Orange display, that's basically how I ended up with the OR-15. I was originally planning on a Tiny Terror.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

So, barring trolling the Guitar Center used section for some poor neglected tube amp, what's the best gig-able amp in the $300-$500 range? Solid state/modeling are acceptable.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

So, barring trolling the Guitar Center used section for some poor neglected tube amp, what's the best gig-able amp in the $300-$500 range? Solid state/modeling are acceptable.

what type of music? how loud? what guitar? what pedals? what cab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Most importantly (in terms of price), head our combo?

Also are you going to mic your amp for gigs or do you plan to use it to overpower your drummer (also how loud well you drummer be)?