Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I think I got lucky with my base assault as my entire A team was back at home when it occured. I managed to make pass it with one serious injury and a single dead security guard! I was super tense the whole time though, but the biggest challenge of the whole ordeal turned out to be timing everyone's reloads. Also, it topped off the 7 disk wrecks I needed to fullfill a request from China for $200, which I completely forgot about and expired three days layer.

Also, did someone say that they fought an Etherial during the assault? I was waiting for one to show up and ruin my day but it never happended, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

2 Track EP posted:

I can never figure it out, either. Because of the recent discussion I downloaded it and started up a new game. For the entire first day nothing happened except a police car blowing up ships that were transporting cargo I had ordered to me, and then a civilian car. And then they blew up a slum building for no discernible reason, and the collapse of the building destroyed two more civilian cars.

You may have ordered those goods from a gang. Incendiary grenades are fantastic and fun, but only gangs sell them and the cops can get engaged in firefights with gang vehicles and it can escalate.

quote:

When night finally came, an alien was spotted, so I loaded up my APC and sent it to the location. When it got there, it drove down some kind of ramp and disappeared without starting a mission

You need to click on the actual building, and then on the right side there should be a button that will let you sweep the area for aliens. Apocalypse's UI is not good.

quote:

then seven UFOs appeared out at the same time.

I have no clue what is going on :(

Seeing a bunch of UFOs pour out of the dimension gates is pretty intimidating at first, but in the early game a lot of those UFOs are relatively harmless probes. A kitted out Valkyrie can down them. There will come a point where destroyers and bombers start coming out and you're still tooling around with Marsec vehicles. THAT'S when the game gets scary.

You should do whatever you can to keep your garage filled with flying vehicles. Ground vehicles are mostly garbage since they have to stick to roads and if a UFO decides to fly over a bunch of buildings then your Pheonix hover car is pretty much out of luck. Also since they're firing up from the ground they're more likely to clip a building and cause damage to the city (not that you should worry overmuch, the city takes a beating no matter what).

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 2, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zebrasectomy posted:

Also, did someone say that they fought an Etherial during the assault? I was waiting for one to show up and ruin my day but it never happended, thankfully.

The missions scales based on how late in the game you do it. So Ethereals, Elite Mutons, and Sectopods are all possible if you wait too long. The pisser is, though, that some things appear to happen in every Base Defense no matter when you do it. This includes Cyberdisks and Mechtoids and maybe Sectoid Commanders. This makes rushing the Alien Base (and thus the Base Defense) a dicier proposition because you might not have the guns and armor you need to deal with that, especially if the Alien Base cost you in terms of dead/wounded A Team guys and gals.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Welp! Sure wish i could see what the patch changed! Guess, it'll be an adventure.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jng2058 posted:

The missions scales based on how late in the game you do it. So Ethereals, Elite Mutons, and Sectopods are all possible if you wait too long. The pisser is, though, that some things appear to happen in every Base Defense no matter when you do it. This includes Cyberdisks and Mechtoids and maybe Sectoid Commanders. This makes rushing the Alien Base (and thus the Base Defense) a dicier proposition because you might not have the guns and armor you need to deal with that, especially if the Alien Base cost you in terms of dead/wounded A Team guys and gals.

well, while you do still get cyberdisks if you go in late game, it goes from two with a floater and a commander to a fleet of 4-5 of them with several heavy floaters in support. The exact numbers are straight out of my rear end there, but it definitely goes from a small strike force to an armada at later mission times.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I know there's only one Skyranger in order to tilt panic management to your disadvantage, but if I have an abduction mission in Germany is it too much to stop in France or Russia on the way home if I leave Munich without a scratch on me? It's late July and I have four countries at full panic and another nearly so with four satellites that will be in the skies ONLY JUST before the council meeting if I time things to the minute. If it didn't take 21 days to build a Nexus I could cover all five.

On the plus side, Classic and Exalt really make the strategic part more interesting. I'm only really concerned I might lose one country on my first Classic play. Panic management beats meeting Cyberdiscs and Mectoids for the first time in the base invasion and having to fight them in volume.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 2, 2013

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

You may have ordered those goods from a gang. Incendiary grenades are fantastic and fun, but only gangs sell them and the cops can get engaged in firefights with gang vehicles and it can escalate.

You need to click on the actual building, and then on the right side there should be a button that will let you sweep the area for aliens. Apocalypse's UI is not good.

Seeing a bunch of UFOs pour out of the dimension gates is pretty intimidating at first, but in the early game a lot of those UFOs are relatively harmless probes. A kitted out Valkyrie can down them. There will come a point where destroyers and bombers start coming out and you're still tooling around with Marsec vehicles. THAT'S when the game gets scary.

You should do whatever you can to keep your garage filled with flying vehicles. Ground vehicles are mostly garbage since they have to stick to roads and if a UFO decides to fly over a bunch of buildings then your Pheonix hover car is pretty much out of luck. Also since they're firing up from the ground they're more likely to clip a building and cause damage to the city (not that you should worry overmuch, the city takes a beating no matter what).

I've kept plugging away at it and I've at least figured out all of the basic mechanics enough to launch missions and win them. When the cops shoot down a gang delivery am I not compensated in any way? The main problem I'm having now is that missions come too fast for my soldiers to heal up - even when I'm recruiting everyone available. I've been playing on real-time though, I guess I should give turn-based a shot.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

If you lose a shipment you lose a shipment. In my experience it didn't happen often, but your mileage may vary.

Having half-injured or even near-death squaddies in your team is just part of Apocalypse. Sometimes you may have to just ignore a mission altogether. I've had bad runs where neither my team nor my vehicles were in any condition to shoot aliens or UFOs and the aliens just had full run of the city while I spent time healing up.

But do try to do missions. Keep your barracks full. You can field really large teams. Otherwise, just try to make sure they have a low profile and smoke grenades to keep them alive.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I finally got around to actually finishing Xcom: EU and I'm now on the fence regarding the EW DLC. Its on steam for 29.99 wich is kinda steep for a DLC pack... Does EW feature a new campaign storyline? Also, is it possible to import your soldiers from EU?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
The new patch just removed Implassic and now I'm on regular impossible with 14 health zombies in Newfoundland :stare:

Anyone know if I need to wait for an update of the mod or can I just reinstall Implassic? I know it changes the executable slightly so I wasn't sure.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GyverMac posted:

I finally got around to actually finishing Xcom: EU and I'm now on the fence regarding the EW DLC. Its on steam for 29.99 wich is kinda steep for a DLC pack... Does EW feature a new campaign storyline? Also, is it possible to import your soldiers from EU?

It's an expansion pack, not DLC. Remember those? People used to make them a long time ago.

You heathen.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

GyverMac posted:

It integrates with the existing campaign, adds a ton of features, new ways to customize your soldiers on the battlefield, and changes the pacing to discourage slow, careful crawls through maps. You would be playing the same campaign but with tons of new maps, story arcs, a new enemy faction, new enemy types, new weapons and skills for your soldiers, an incredible new Second Wave option called Training Roulette which drastically alters soldier progression, etc.

The expansion is definitely worth $30, I don't suspect it will be on sale until next Summer (short of a random midweek sale/weekend sale/whatever)

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for a informative answer. That sounds like a proper expansion pack!

Megazver posted:

It's an expansion pack, not DLC. Remember those? People used to make them a long time ago.

You heathen.

Yeah I remember expansion packs! But everything is called DLC nowadays, and I didnt wanna get my hopes dashed by lackluster content again :ohdear:

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 2, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GyverMac posted:

No it's pretty much just adding new things to the original campaign as well as bundling in all the small DLC packs.

The addition of Mechs and also Deus Ex biomods for soldiers is the biggest change.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

etalian posted:

as well as bundling in all the small DLC packs.

AFAIK this is only true for the console version, not PC.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

GyverMac posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for a informative answer. That sounds like a proper expansion pack!

Yeah I remember expansion packs! But everything is called DLC nowadays, and I didnt wanna get my hopes dashed by lackluster content again :ohdear:

You can turn a soldier into a walking robot, then have that robot punch aliens.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

etalian posted:

No it's pretty much just adding new things to the original campaign as well as bundling in all the small DLC packs.

The addition of Mechs and also Deus Ex biomods for soldiers is the biggest change.

I wasn't aware anything other than the Progeny 'DLC' was bundled to Enemy Within. Slingshot and Elite Soldier Pack certainly aren't.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

AFAIK this is only true for the console version, not PC.

Maybe it's different in the console ghetto. :shrug:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Isn't the console version an entirely separate game? It would make sense, then. Otherwise, you'd have to re-buy all your DLC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Warmachine posted:

I wasn't aware anything other than the Progeny 'DLC' was bundled to Enemy Within. Slingshot and Elite Soldier Pack certainly aren't.

Maybe it's different in the console ghetto. :shrug:

due to the wonders of how consoles work, the full base game and dlc are packaged in with the expansion and are treated as a separate game by the console.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Benagain posted:

You can turn a soldier into a walking robot, then have that robot punch aliens.

You can also send the alien flying with the falcon punch and make him explode a pickup truck.

GOTY material

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

etalian posted:

You can also send the alien flying with the falcon punch and make him explode a pickup truck.

GOTY material

I've punched sectoids through semi trucks. I've had berzerker's leap on my robot and him throw them down and falcon punch it on the rebound. I've had robot grab a sectopod, rip open it's chest, and beat the insides to death. I have screenshots of some of these things a page or two back.

These are all reasons to spend $30 on an expansion, before you get into having your troops leap tall buildings in a single bound, getting a new enemy faction that are to you what humans are to aliens in the beginning, and a ton of new maps.

Basically, the OP needs a big flashy blingee gif that says "BUY ENEMY WITHIN" in it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Warmachine posted:

Basically, the OP needs a big flashy blingee gif that says "BUY ENEMY WITHIN" in it.

Yeah, we really need someone to take a really good picture of one of the unique fist-bump animations and put something like "BUY ENEMY WITHIN, IT IS GOOD." in flashing letters on it.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
Sorry for the X-Com Apocalypse chat lately but it's not really enough for its own thread and there isn't anywhere more appropriate-

I think I just saw a Brainsucker jump on to a soldier inside a smoke cloud and die before turning him - I didn't see any units fire, and he seemed to die as soon as he hit my soldier's head. Is this a viable tactic (standing in smoke grenades for Brainsucker protection) or did I just misinterpret what I saw?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Oh and for people asking about Arc Thrower pistol, Xcom Toolboks just got updated, and not only does it restore that, it adds an ability to see soldier movement in the barracks so you know who to fire.

http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/79/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I've punched sectoids through semi trucks. I've had berzerker's leap on my robot and him throw them down and falcon punch it on the rebound. I've had robot grab a sectopod, rip open it's chest, and beat the insides to death. I have screenshots of some of these things a page or two back.

These are all reasons to spend $30 on an expansion, before you get into having your troops leap tall buildings in a single bound, getting a new enemy faction that are to you what humans are to aliens in the beginning, and a ton of new maps.

They made special Dawn of War esque fatality animations when your MEC kills a Muton Berzerker or Mech.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Well according to someone on the 2K forums:

Scirocco16V posted:

Well, Steamdb says the following 16 depots were changed: XCOMEUBaseContent, XCOMEUExecutables, XCOM EW Scripts, XCOMEU Chinese, XCOM EW BaseContent, XCOM EW CEG, XCOM EW English, XCOM EW French, XCOM EW Italian, XCOM EW German, XCOM EW Spanish, XCOM EW Korean, XCOM EW Polish, XCOM EW Russian, XCOM EW Japanese, & XCOM EW Chinese.

I think the most interesting are: EU BaseContent, EU Executables, EW Scripts, EW BaseContent, & EW CEG. Though, it looks like chinese was added, so maybe we'll get chinese voices for our chinese soliders now.

So...things may have been changed, but it looks like it's mostly translation and subtitle stuff. (While I'd love to have Chinese/Japanese/Korean soldiers have the option of speaking not-English, I doubt that's going to be something we get as a freebie.)

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

2 Track EP posted:

I think I just saw a Brainsucker jump on to a soldier inside a smoke cloud and die before turning him - I didn't see any units fire, and he seemed to die as soon as he hit my soldier's head. Is this a viable tactic (standing in smoke grenades for Brainsucker protection) or did I just misinterpret what I saw?

Nah. It's more likely that the brainsucker failed its mind control attempt and expired. I remember thinking that smoke can stun the bipedal aliens, but that only happened when they were injured and panicking, so it's not a reliable thing. Plus, smoke grenades affect your squad so it's actually bad against melee aliens like the brainsucker, since it gives them cover to get right up to you until they're in range.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

While punching aliens is the best thing, also buy EW because you can punch buildings, rip its walls apart and suddenly storm the room through a new door with five invisible soldiers who have two hearts.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VisAbsoluta posted:

While punching aliens is the best thing, also buy EW because you can punch buildings, rip its walls apart and suddenly storm the room through a new door with five invisible soldiers who have two hearts.

And get an achievement for killing the dude on the other side of the wall that you detected with your not invisible soldier who has :spidey:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Posted on Steam Forums:

Kate.Galfriday has XCOM: Enemy Unknown 6 minutes ago posted:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within Patch Info
Hello,
This morning we launched a new patch for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within. Here are the notes:

Features:
• Addition of Traditional Chinese

Bug Fixes:
• Fixed an issue where units would not return to low cover after using suppression.
• Units should no longer become stuck in walls in HQ Assault.
• Aliens entering the map on to a proximity mine will no longer cause the game to crash.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Huh. Well that's neat. Can't say I've ever had the supression glitch but I did get a base defense rookie stuck above a ladder once.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dyzzy posted:

Huh. Well that's neat. Can't say I've ever had the supression glitch but I did get a base defense rookie stuck above a ladder once.

My sniper fused with the air conditioner. He didn't seem to mind though. Too bad they didn't do anything about the LOS issues.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'd never encountered a significant bug in this game until yesterday. I was on the final room of the final mission and the final enemy was at 2HP when it froze, forcing me to reload from the beginning of the level. I just don't care to grind through it again :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the spider-sense is actually pretty handy if you're going though an urban area or a spaceship. If you want to know if there's a guy behind the wall, it's there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
3 quick things:

#1, don't apologize for Apocalypse chat, as far as I'm concerned it's on topic.

#2, if someone produces the BUY ENEMY WITHIN banner I will gladly put it in the OP, with full credits.

#3, if you don't give a Support the Two Hearts mod and nickname him The Doctor, you're just not using MELD to its fullest potential. :colbert:

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 2, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Good enough, right?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What's a good pace for getting satellites up? In my first ever playthrough (normal) of Enemy Unknown, due to being cash starved and railroaded by the tutorial, I got one up by the end of March, and I'm barely going to get two more up by the end of April (four total including the starting satellite).

It feels very slow and I think I've been spending my cash terribly or something. I have two jets in North America and two in Asia and I've never had to scramble them outside of the UFO encounter in the tutorial. The rest of my cash has gone to: 2 laser rifles, 1 laser heavy, a thermal power core, a workshop, a containment center, a satellite uplink, and some upgrades from the Officer Training School. It feels like even when May's cash rolls in I'll only be able to buy one or two things I want and then be broke again, which feels slow to me. I'll learn on subsequent playthroughs but any tips would be appreciated.

Also is there a way to speed up alloy acquisition? That's also been roadblocking my attempts to outfit my squad in upgraded poo poo. Half of them aren't using lasers yet and I'm about to finish researching carapace armor but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to afford it. I assume if I get more satellites up I'll spend fewer days twiddling my thumbs and be able to shoot down more UFO's, get more resources, etc.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 2, 2013

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

amanasleep posted:

Posted on Steam Forums:
-Traditional Chinese

Is this an additional language localization, as in voice set too? :haw:

edit: vvv Aww.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 2, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Text only it seems.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/200510/discussions/0/648812917618780731/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just bought enemy within. I started the game, turned off the tutorial, then succumbed to "PLEASE PLAY THE TUTORIAL" and it utterly hosed me in so many ways. Then I had to rescue some guy who hated me, and I know that moving the rescued-guy too much, triggers more drops. So I moved him conservatively (I thought!) and hunkered down every time. I was already down a man. Suddenly FOUR DROPS were triggered: a thin man behind me, a sectoid and 2 thin men in front of me. Killed one of that lot and then got a full squad wipe. The next mission my b-team was wiped so I just quit (classic ironman)

I'm on that mission again with my new game and I'm in a much better place. I have 2 assaults with lightning reflexes in that mission, and a dude with a medikit (which I have used already...) and everyone has a laser rifle. I did make a point of turning off slingshot because the slingshot missions are bullshit hard. This mission is the new dlc's mission? is this the hard one people are talking about? I am about to rescue the VIP now so I hope I don't get owned again. This time I'll move the VIP one square at a time... or is there a trigger point beyond which 4 bad guys are triggered, and this mission is just A Hard Mission?

• Locked thread