Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Boiled Water posted:

Potential profits that Sony and Microsoft are now racking in.

No argument here, only that Nintendo knows and was on the receiving end of those profits and won't let go of it easily if they feel they can recapture the success of the Wii, which is really doubtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

univbee posted:

A handheld with a docking station that has built-in graphics hardware that pushes up the on-screen res. :getin:

The Super Game Boy was a big pile of wasted potential. I don't think it'd fare any better in the modern day.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Soon publishers will stop releasing games for PS3 and 360. When that happens the only third party games Wii U will get are ports of Ouya games.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

And you would be demonstrably wrong about this. Last generation the Wii sparked both Sony and Microsoft to add new features to their systems. You're perfectly within your rights to say you don't care about the Move or Kinect, but they were direct responses to Nintendo's hardware and remain significant part of the current generation.

Also the Smartglass and Vita connectivity are responses to the WiiU's gamepad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

I guess logically that seems like the most progressive step for them assuming that their console business is red but I'd be really, really surprised if they ever let go of the living room. There's just too much potential profit to be had.

See, I don't see it as letting go of the living room. They made a Wii U that taught console users that they can still play games on the controller. The next step would be a handheld that does the opposite (lets you play mobile games on your TV). The recent version of Wii Fit allows you to play a considerable amount of the games (almost all of them) without a TV. Makes sense to me for them to just release a version of Wii Fit that allows people to keep their boards, play it on the go and play it on their TV if they choose to.

Nintendo really seems to dislike the rising costs of gaming and really seems to prefer being the economic option for gamers and families. The XL is already a pretty pricey device. By creating a device they can argue is a console and handheld all at once, they don't have to be cutting edge.

I really wonder if Nintendo's next step is to align themselves with a cell phone company and instead of having to conform to Apple or Samsung, have a phone that plays Nintendo games and has Nintendo making mobile style games specifically for it.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I really wonder if Nintendo's next step is to align themselves with a cell phone company and instead of having to conform to Apple or Samsung, have a phone that plays Nintendo games and has Nintendo making mobile style games specifically for it.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Nintendo wasting their talent on mobile style games is an absolute nightmare scenario. I'm all for them making a phone that handles like a DS variant, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Super Mario Mobile!

$5 for the first 3 levels, $20 for each level pack of 10, $2.99 for Energy Packs required to play the game (Energy Pack lasts 10 minutes)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hobo Siege posted:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Nintendo wasting their talent on mobile style games is an absolute nightmare scenario. I'm all for them making a phone that handles like a DS variant, though.

Them making a phone is the fastest way to emulate the Wii U on their one core market. People will simply go "But I already have a great phone why do I need another one :shrug:" and not buy it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quest For Glory II posted:

$2.99 for Energy Packs required to play the game (Energy Pack lasts 10 minutes)
It wouldn't surprise me if this is actual DLC in some current F2P game on the iPhone right now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hobo Siege posted:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Nintendo wasting their talent on mobile style games is an absolute nightmare scenario.
Maybe for you. Personally I think it would be hilarious if Apple spent some of their chump change, acquired Nintendo for their IP, and pissed off fanboys everywhere by crapping out Mario and Zelda games for the App Store.

Unfortunately Apple doesn't factor my personal entertainment value into companies that they acquire. :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe for you. Personally I think it would be hilarious if Apple spent some of their chump change, acquired Nintendo for their IP, and pissed off fanboys everywhere by crapping out Mario and Zelda games for the App Store.

iOS edition of Zelda: Wand of Gamelon

Ironically, it would probably have better controls than the original.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Super Mario Mobile!

$5 for the first 3 levels, $20 for each level pack of 10, $2.99 for Energy Packs required to play the game (Energy Pack lasts 10 minutes)

You're just reminding me Mario Kart probably won't have any sort of pull in the future. Why would kids want a new Mario Kart anyway when they can get just as good a sort of karting experience with Angry Birds Go! ?

What with the energy meters and sponsored items like the Pepperidge Farm Goldfish as a boost power and an All State power-up.

If that's the future I can't really be mad at it if it's unavoidable. Just that instead of kids remembering the times they got the golden mushroom to boost the gently caress through Kalimari Desert you'll have kids remembering all the awesome times the snack that smiles back got them to victory.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Boiled Water posted:

Potential profits that Sony and Microsoft are now racking in.

What profits? Isn't the XBOX division at Microsoft like 6 billion in the hole over its lifetime? Has Sony turned enough profit on the ps3 to classify it as a success? Competing against behemoths that can subsidize their losses is a tough game.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Keyvin help me out here: People who buy your console also buy your ____.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Boiled Water posted:

Does the xbox divison of MS not include games and licensing?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Frankly, it's pretty much at the stage where the WiiU is definitely dead in the UK, and the best anyone can hope for is indie games and first party stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boiled Water posted:

Live and PSN subsriptions? Outside of Call of Duty the answer sure as hell hasn't been games this year. :)

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

keyvin posted:

What profits? Isn't the XBOX division at Microsoft like 6 billion in the hole over its lifetime? Has Sony turned enough profit on the ps3 to classify it as a success? Competing against behemoths that can subsidize their losses is a tough game.

Wasn't PlayStation the only Sony division that reported a profit a couple years back? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Maybe I am misinformed, I thought the xbox division was all inclusive of Live, Games, hardware, and everything.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Wasn't PlayStation the only Sony division that reported a profit a couple years back? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

I'm not saying that they don't have profitable years late into the console's life cycle. When you take into account the time value of money though it is much more difficult to make up for losses early in a products life with profits down the road.

In any case, Nintendo couldn't afford to loose billions of dollars launching a console with the hope it will eventually be profitable. They don't have a windows, or a home electronics division. Nintendo wouldn't have to worry about the Wii U flopping if it had been profitable from the get go. I think that was Nintendo's big mistake, ahead of marketing, and way ahead of not being powerful enough to compete with the xbone or ps4. I still want to know how big of a loss Nintendo is taking on each console, and how many games they have to sell to make up for it.

How many games did the 360 have to sell for MS to turn a profit off of a launch unit?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Does anyone here still enjoy Nintendo's hardware? I've got a Wii U and an original 3DS, but there are some significant problems with them.

The 3DS is far too heavy, and it's uncomfortable to hold in one hand when using the stylus. The battery life is terrible, and it's so low resolution that I can see the lines between the pixels if I look too close to the screen. I've been put off buying digital games for it, since it doesn't use an account system, and the games are usually cheaper in stores. The lack of a second analogue nub makes some games difficult to play without the Control Pad Pro, which would make the system even larger and heavier. The shoulder buttons are tiny, and the control pad isn't particularly good, so I can't imagine using it to play the new Smash Bros well. The d-pad is really uncomfortable to use because it's so low down, and the rectangular shape of the system makes it uncomfortable to hold. The LCD screens look terrible compared to OLED and AMOLED screens, and the 3D effect is lost if you are just a few degrees off the sweet spot, which will happen in action games and make it impossible to see unless you hold the system perfectly still. The stylus is in a difficult-to-reach place, especially compared to the DS Lite which had it going in to the side.

The Wii U's Gamepad has a poor battery life, but unlike the 3DS I have no problem controlling games with it. However, backwards compatibility with the system is very poorly done, with controllers using the exact same layout being incompatible for no reason at all. You need to go into the Wii system menu to get PAL games to upscale properly, and the online store prices are also ridiculous. However, the system does let you use USB storage devices to run games off since the 32GB the system came with would not last long with bigger games like Assassin's Creed IV. Very few cross-platform games actually run better on the system, despite being more recent and more expensive than the 360 and PS3, with exceptions such as Need for Speed: Most Wanted, or Rayman Legends for having more content. The virtual console is even worse this time round, with even fewer games available, and the need to pay extra money to allow your previously purchased games to be used on the Game Pad. There is also no cross-compatibility between the 3DS virtual console.

I don't really see what Nintendo's plan is for the Wii U, besides limp along until the next console cycle where they can try again, and I don't think there is any single game that will save the system. They're terrible at designing hardware, and no matter how good their games are, they won't sell well on a console that is so unpopular.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've been enjoying the poo poo out of my 3DS XL.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I can imagine the Wii U selling if Mario Kart gets great reviews, Smash Bros gets great reviews, the console drops a little more in price, and they announce something exciting like a real Zelda, Starfox, or Metroid. The real problem is that Nintendo moves way too loving slowly and the conditions I listed might still be 12 months away or more.

I don't know why they don't just announce more stuff. Blizzard gets away with announcing titles many, many, many years before they come out. It's an annoying practice, sure, but at least it lets the consumer know "hey, we're doing things, don't worry." Nintendo used to announce stuff early - I remember seeing Ocarina of Time screenshots way before the n64 was released.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I find the 3DS more comfortable to hold than the Vita by a significant degree, although the Vita's screen is undeniably better.

Polo-Rican posted:

I don't know why they don't just announce more stuff. Blizzard gets away with announcing titles many, many, many years before they come out. It's an annoying practice, sure, but at least it lets the consumer know "hey, we're doing things, don't worry." Nintendo used to announce stuff early - I remember seeing Ocarina of Time screenshots way before the n64 was released.

Because announcing things too far in advance can cause a lot of problems. If you want an example look at Mega Man Legends 3. If something goes wrong, needs to be changed, doesn't come out, or otherwise gets altered it can cause a lot of fan backlash. Announcing a game too early can also cause burnout or disinterest after fan attention dies down. Good marketing can help with this but it still is something to be cautious of.

Hell, go look at the SSB thread and the constant complaints that Nintendo isn't giving out more information about the game despite a dripfeed of screenshots, character reveals and so-on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 2, 2013

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I don't really see what Nintendo's plan is for the Wii U, besides limp along until the next console cycle where they can try again, and I don't think there is any single game that will save the system. They're terrible at designing hardware, and no matter how good their games are, they won't sell well on a console that is so unpopular.

They don't have a plan. They were hoping 3D World would be central for game sales and now that plan has hosed up in the UK and Japan (and probably everywhere else).

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I find the 3DS more comfortable to hold than the Vita by a significant degree, although the Vita's screen is undeniably better.

I agree with the XL, but the smaller 3DSes are really uncomfortable for me to hold.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Polo-Rican posted:

I can imagine the Wii U selling if Mario Kart gets great reviews, Smash Bros gets great reviews, the console drops a little more in price, and they announce something exciting like a real Zelda, Starfox, or Metroid. The real problem is that Nintendo moves way too loving slowly and the conditions I listed might still be 12 months away or more.

Not even Blizzard is getting away with that anymore.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Sony has been losing money every single year except last year, where they had to sell extremely valuable property just to not report a loss.

I'm pretty sure with the PS4 launch, even if they sell another million PS4's, they'll still have to sell more property to stay outside of the red.

Nintendo might have had a bad quarter and apparently Apple is gonna buy them. Do the Japanese ever sell themselves to American companies? Like ever?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nintendo's higher ups are all extremely Japanese old men. They are not going to sell to a non-Japanese company even if it would be in their best interests to do so. Some Japanese companies might but Nintendo's higher ups are extremely old fashioned.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo might have had a bad quarter and apparently Apple is gonna buy them. Do the Japanese ever sell themselves to American companies? Like ever?

Wait when did they announce that Apple is buying them?

Also Japanese Companies selling themselves to American companies happens all the time. This is how many auto manufacturers got established in America.

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo's higher ups are all extremely Japanese old men. They are not going to sell to a non-Japanese company even if it would be in their best interests to do so.

Doubt it because even Toyota did it , there's certainly room for Nitnendo to do it. And Toyota is way more engrained in Japan than Nintendo. If I remember right they gave Tesla Motors to develop the electrical engines to many of their vehicles. The only thing they won't do business with is Unions. Even when they formed Lexus they stayed away from union workers.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 2, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I agree with the XL, but the smaller 3DSes are really uncomfortable for me to hold.

I found the original 3DS uncomfortable, but I bought a 2DS on Black Friday and I absolutely love the form factor. I never really used the 3D anyway. $99 for a system that runs the entire Nintendo DS and 3DS library is an absolute steal.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 2, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I found the original 3DS uncomfortable, but I bought a 2DS on Black Friday and I absolutely love the form factor. I never really used the 3D anyway. $99 for a system that runs the entire Nintendo DS and 3DS library is an absolute steal.

I would have bought the 2DS if the screens were XL size. I never use 3D as it causes my eyes to freak out and I get headaches from it, but I want larger screens. The 2DS does look a lot more comfortable.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo's higher ups are all extremely Japanese old men. They are not going to sell to a non-Japanese company even if it would be in their best interests to do so. Some Japanese companies might but Nintendo's higher ups are extremely old fashioned.

Its easy to understand why they wont even publish games to other consoles. Its a massive affront to their samurai honor.

e- Also nintendo is a publicly owned company. If a buyer really wanted to clean them up they could always go hostile and replace everyone that gives troubles. Not like its even remotely possible of happening. :v:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 2, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wait when did they announce that Apple is buying them?

A poster in this thread saying that would be the obviously best thing for them to do. It was mocking his (and others') "a console flopped, ABORT ALL FUTURE AUTONOMY" response, not actual business news.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I've been enjoying the poo poo out of my 3DS XL.

Lesson learned, never buy the first iteration of a Nintendo handheld. The Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Advance SP, DS Lite, and 3DS XL are all great improvements, although I still like the form factor of the original GBA a lot, and I haven't tried the 3DS XL myself. The Game Boy Color never got a new model, although it only lasted three years. The GBA did too, but it still had enough life in it to get another model after the DS, the Game Boy Micro.

I have no idea what Nintendo were thinking with the Wii Mini, which seems worse in every category. No Gamecube backwards compatibility (although later versions of the regular Wii had it removed too), which also meant that there were no Gamecube controller ports to use with games like Smash Bros. Brawl, no Wi-Fi, and you could only use composite video. There is at least some point to the 2DS, since it savagely cuts costs to the system, although I've heard that it feels pretty cheap and fragile, even though the lack of a hinge would make me think it would be more sturdy.

Polo-Rican posted:

I would like to know that there's at least something in the future to look forward to, although I've followed The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII to realise that this isn't always a good idea. Unfortunately, Nintendo's gotten so predictable that I could have told you that we were going to have a new 2D and 3D Mario game, a new Smash Bros, and a new Mario Kart before they even announced the system, and once those are out of the way, there's not much else to look forward to. Donkey Kong's alright, Zelda could be another disappointment, Metroid, F-ZERO, and Star Fox are either dead or under wraps, and there's a new game from the Xenoblade guys. Since nobody else is making games for the system, that's pretty much your lot.

When it comes to games consoles, it's usually a pretty bad purchase if you spend more money on the system itself than on the games you actually play on it. After half a year, I'm still not at that point with the Wii U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its easy to understand why they wont even publish games to other consoles. Its a massive affront to their samurai honor.

e- Also nintendo is a publicly owned company. If a buyer really wanted to clean them up they could always go hostile and replace everyone that gives troubles. Not like its even remotely possible of happening. :v:

Sony gave full control of the Playstation to their US Division after the Awful PS3 launch and look what happened. The PS4 is entirely the fault of America.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

That loving Sned posted:

Nintendo's gotten so predictable that I could have told you that we were going to have a new 2D and 3D Mario game

Wait, are you angry Nintendo didn't make a Mario game that wasn't in the second or third dimension?

"A videogame in the third dimension? Gag me with a spoon, how unoriginal!"

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

That loving Sned posted:

There is at least some point to the 2DS, since it savagely cuts costs to the system, although I've heard that it feels pretty cheap and fragile, even though the lack of a hinge would make me think it would be more sturdy.

I wouldn't call it fragile. It's more that it feels and looks more like a toy than a sleek electronic device. It is very original GBA-like.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 2, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm bothered that we're nearly upon 2014 and Nintendo hasn't said a word about what their plans are beyond this holiday season other than what they've said at E3, which is frankly paltry. I mean if 2014 is just DKC, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and X, then that's a horrible year. Those may be awesome games, but that's a terrible, terrible year, if you have just 4 major releases. Especially considering there is no third party support.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm bothered that we're nearly upon 2014 and Nintendo hasn't said a word about what their plans are beyond this holiday season other than what they've said at E3, which is frankly paltry. I mean if 2014 is just DKC, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and X, then that's a horrible year. Those may be awesome games, but that's a terrible, terrible year, if you have just 4 major releases.

They've almost certainly got other things in the pipeline. Most of those games are scheduled for the start of the year. It's pretty drat unlikely, even if the Wii U is bombing, that they have no other games in development. They'll probably announce them once it gets a bit later in the year.

I mean, just an example, they don't have any big 3DS titles announced yet either. They just don't announce those things that far in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Then announce them. I'm not convinced they do, after the Pikmin 3 debacle.

• Locked thread