Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Bit annoyed with recruiters, should I even bother? (for IT.)

I've actually had success with two in the past who seem to put in an effort for multiple roles, but I relocated and all the recruiters seem scummy. It looks like they advertise you to a company who initially isn't even wanting to use a recruiter or asked them for a candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

How do you guys find appropriate salary information for niche jobs? I've got a very specific skill set and I have an interview scheduled for Monday afternoon but I really don't know what to say if they ask for a salary range. BLS.gov doesn't really list what I do, as its a very small technical subset.

Any advice for a satellite communications expert with a clearance and military experience?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Glassdoor, look at defense contractors that hire for a similar skill set.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I applied for this position that I thought I was a really good match for. They started accepting applications on October 14th, I found it and applied on October 18th, and the closing date was this past Thursday, November 14th. I heard nothing back until 10 AM on Monday (Nov. 18th) morning, when I got an email that the position had been filled. Is that normal? It seems awfully quick to have found and hired someone, unless they already knew who they wanted to hire and just posted the job as a formality or something.

Also, I've tried to incorporate a lot of the feedback posted in this thread into my resume. I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a quick look at it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eptrwh1p8trqls0/dur_resume.doc. Thanks!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dur posted:

they already knew who they wanted to hire and just posted the job as a formality or something.

You get a prize sir.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Figures. I hate when that happens. All getting my hopes up and then, nope, thanks for wasting my time.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

dur posted:

Figures. I hate when that happens. All getting my hopes up and then, nope, thanks for wasting my time.

Don't get discouraged. I've noticed that happens a lot. Company posts it, even though they have someone in mind, because they have to or something like that.

I've been extra-serious about job hunting lately. So of course the guy who covers my job when I'm off (plant doesn't close. ever.) gets in a car wreck and breaks a limb. So I get to work every day until he gets better or I badger the management enough to get them to let me train someone else. Kind of makes interviews hard and I'm really scared of losing out on an opportunity because I can't get a damned day off.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

We have that same issue, on the internal posting they're required to write "a preferred candidate has been identified" but generally post it to the general public without that disclosure.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Question!

In the interview with an employer, when they asked what my expected ballpark salary would be, i told them 55k-65k.

I basically got an offer at 55k, is it still fair game to ask for 60k? My ideal salary I wanted was 60k minimum. but since I was put on the spot and asked ballpark i said 55k-65k because I didn't want to make it seem too high.

Thoughts? Am I going to come off as a jackass if I ask for another 5k?

edit: I had to give them a salary range because apparently this needs to an answer in all interviews if it's for the city

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 22, 2013

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do you need to take the job? The only way I can see for you to spin this without looking like an idiot is to have some explanation that the low end of your range was with better benefits than the company offers. The issue here is that you will probably have to state what benefits you 'want' and attempt to negotiate from there. I don't really think there is a way to just backtrack the number without looking like an idiot and if you're negotiating with your potential manager then that seems like a pretty bad way to start.

As generic advice, if at all possible you should avoid answering salary questions. The only possible advantage for you as a potential employee is to save time interviewing if your number is ridiculously higher than what the company wants to pay. On the other hand the disadvantage is huge, you could easily cut 10% or more off your starting salary which then compounds since most raises are percent based. If you absolutely have to give a number, the either don't give a range, and shoot high, or give a range and explain why your giving a range, I.e. You want x benefits if they pay the low end of your range.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I've been unemployed for about 2 months now. I just relocated to a new city. I have a couple of other job opportunities I'm waiting to hear back from (Took a 2nd and 1st interview at two other places.)

Forgot to mention in the initial post but I had to give them an answer. They said this is the norm for a job at the city and they know I don't want to answer it but they need an answer.

The benefits are pretty good overall. I just want an extra 5k. I believe that's what I'm worth lol.

edit: How would it look if I said, ideally I want to take this job but I have another company coming in at 60k. (I realize I might jeopardize this role.) I'm also dealing with HR and not the IT manager.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 22, 2013

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Just say something like "Now that I've seen the complete compensation package, would it be possible for the base salary to be $60k?" They might say no but they're not going to rescind their offer, the HR person probably doesn't really care. Don't make up a competing offer though, if you do that and they call your bluff you'll definitely be in an awkward spot.

e:

I don't think it's bad to give a range if asked, I had an offer over the summer where they hadn't asked my range and couldn't go high enough (which was not very high) with their offer, it just wasted everyone's time.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 22, 2013

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I actually think I have another job offer coming up (one I prefer more then another job offer I just got Friday.)

One of my references told me they had a voicemail requesting a reference call back. I wanted to follow up with the company anyways as it's almost been two weeks (tomorrow.) Should I mention I have another job offer on the table but I wanted to follow up with them as it's my preferable place of employment?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

lol internet. posted:

I actually think I have another job offer coming up (one I prefer more then another job offer I just got Friday.)

One of my references told me they had a voicemail requesting a reference call back. I wanted to follow up with the company anyways as it's almost been two weeks (tomorrow.) Should I mention I have another job offer on the table but I wanted to follow up with them as it's my preferable place of employment?

Sure, if it's been that long, no harm done.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
A few quick questions:

I saw it suggested to someone else that they should indicate the size of the company worked for on the resume. I especially want to do this because I feel like I look overqualified, but that's only because I’ve worn a lot of hats in a very small business, and now I’m applying to a more focused position in larger companies.

On the current version of my resume, I only listed the relevant job that I’ve been at for 6 years. I had one previous part time job sort of slightly related that I left off because I wasn’t sure it added anything, but would 2 jobs after college look better?

I know not to put on my gpa, but is it inappropriate to write “cum laude” next to my degrees?

Edit: Actually, if anybody could take a look and give me advice I'd really appreciate it. Especially on how I listed previous job titles. Please disregard the web formatting... https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ik_Fc4brGSsNwSSofqOQUz-RjEPA9bktreWW6rFsm3c/pub

Knockknees fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 26, 2013

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm looking for a tech job (either the Bay Area or Dallas, due to personal reasons), since the professor I'm working for is running out of money early spring(hooray bad money management!) and I'm really unsure if this is a good resume or not. Do I pare down the skills when applying for individual jobs? Since I'm looking more for the Development side of R&D which doesn't want PhDs, do I play down the Phd. or just kinda leave it there?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3OOTB7pUq0iaDFXaURVZTYzdWM/edit?usp=sharing

Don Markstein
Nov 5, 2008
Wrong thread.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
As I understand it, because of the Affordable Care Act people under 26 can almost always stay on their parent's insurance, even if they aren't a dependent and they are full-time employees themselves, correct?

I have a few years until I would turn 26, so would it be reasonable to ask in salary negotiations if I could drop health benefits in favor of getting paid a little more? If so, what is a reasonable amount to ask for in return, assuming the health benefits that were part of the original package were about average. Is this just a bad idea? I figured I'd ask because hey, more money, and my mother's benefits are much better than those I would be offered. Her job security over the next few years isn't a concern.

This is for an entry-level position, and I'd be dealing with the higher-ups directly in negotiations, not some HR person, if it matters.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Claverjoe posted:

So I'm looking for a tech job (either the Bay Area or Dallas, due to personal reasons), since the professor I'm working for is running out of money early spring(hooray bad money management!) and I'm really unsure if this is a good resume or not. Do I pare down the skills when applying for individual jobs? Since I'm looking more for the Development side of R&D which doesn't want PhDs, do I play down the Phd. or just kinda leave it there?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3OOTB7pUq0iaDFXaURVZTYzdWM/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to deemphasize the PhD, put the education section at the end. The usual ordering is most to least recent, so list the PhD first. Don't leave it off; otherwise anyone at all familiar with grad school is going to be suspicious of why you spent years as an RA and didn't get a PhD out of it. And if you're going to abbreviate PhD (which is what I'd do), you should abbreviate BS for consistency.

I'd make the skills section look more like a list of keywords. So:

quote:

Skills
  • Laboratory: FTIR, SEM, TEM, ...
  • Programming: FORTRAN, LabVIEW
You probably want to only include skills that are actually relevant to the role you're applying for. If you list a ton of research-specific skills, it's not going to look like the resume for development. Also, it's "LabVIEW". And I'd just say FORTRAN instead of FORTRAN 77. And you can just say "clean room work". Unless the role specifies that you need to use Office, I'd leave that out, since it's kind of assumed you can use a computer. If you are proficient with Excel, that might be worth listing separately. Keep in mind, too, that a lot of time employers are just going to keyword search your resume. If you say "Office" but they want "Excel", your resume isn't going to get noticed.

In general, under your work experience, you want to list accomplishments, not just the job description. Try to keep each bullet points to one or two lines, too. Under "research assistant", you start each point with "iinvestigated". Vary that. As a start, you might do:

quote:

• Developed a quantum dot on a graphene ribbon, increasing the power conversion efficiency of optically inverted solar cells by 20%
  • Created a platinum-free dye solar cell, reducing the costs by XX%
  • Embedded solar cells on a backbone of carbon nanotube fibers for incorporation into textiles
I don't know your research so don't just copy that verbatim. But maybe that gives you a better idea. If you did anything development-like in any of those roles that might not be obvious from the title, you should probably include that, too. You mention you have a patent. Put that under the work experience, not under skills. For teaching assistant, you'd probably be better off saying something like "Supervised XX students in laboratory exercises".

There are some general issues with your formatting. The bullet under your postdoc section isn't lined up with the bullet points for your other positions. "Skills" is just kind of hovering in place unemphasized, and it's indented to look like it goes with the Intern section.

And, finally, just proofread. I noticed a ton of typos and inconsistencies. "Investigate" instead of "investigated". "dye sensitize" instead of "dye sensitized". Some of your date-ranges are separated by an em-dash, and some are just hyphenated.

Enilev fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 26, 2013

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks! Will do.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

(crossposted from the RTI thread)

Can anyone weigh in on this? I was under the impression that your resume should be customized and catered to each position/industry you wish to apply for. I have two versions of my resume (professionally constructed by Resumes to Interviews) that I sent along to my dad, who has a lot of experience in job hunting and CV writing. Though he doesn't work in my field, he works for companies that are relevant to my desired area (STEM).

Anyway, he sent me this email in response:

Mak0rz Sr. posted:

Hi Mak0rz.

You should combine your resumes into one only. I spoke to <COMPANY> Human Resources about it and they had never heard of someone having two. They suggested combining them and just use one only. I did a sample. Have a look and tell me what you think. I also did a generic cover letter using <COMPANY> in the sample.

Take care

I have some additional information about this: I don't really have much meaningful employment experience in my field at all, so what little customization I can do is pretty limited. Making a merged resume will extend it to 1.5 pages, but I'm also from (and plan to work in) Canada, where two-page resumes are frequent and generally not frowned upon.

What do you think?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 28, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Two pages resumes are fine in Canada, and everyone has multiple versions of their resumes. (I have "operational in Canada", "operational overseas" and "office jobs", for gently caress's sake)

You just don't send both to the same place, hence why HR doesn't get two resumes for the same person.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FrozenVent posted:

Two pages resumes are fine in Canada, and everyone has multiple versions of their resumes. (I have "operational in Canada", "operational overseas" and "office jobs", for gently caress's sake)

You just don't send both to the same place, hence why HR doesn't get two resumes for the same person.

Yeah, I never send my different versions to the same position, that's just silly. I pick whichever one seems the most appropriate for the position. I had two resumes constructed by RTI; "Teacher/Instructor" and "Field biologist." I decided to make a third one, "Lab biologist," using those two as guides. Each of them are largely the same, except emphasis is placed on different skills and roles of previous positions. However, this is done at the cost of removing some other things that aren't necessarily directly relevant, but can certainly be useful, to make it more concise.

Should I just make an all-purpose "All Info" resume, then? As I said, I have very little industry experience (one four-month position that I did four years ago). The rest is grad school projects and teaching assistantships.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I never send my different versions to the same position, that's just silly. I pick whichever one seems the most appropriate for the position. I had two resumes constructed by RTI; "Teacher/Instructor" and "Field biologist." I decided to make a third one, "Lab biologist," using those two as guides. Each of them are largely the same, except emphasis is placed on different skills and roles of previous positions. However, this is done at the cost of removing some other things that aren't necessarily directly relevant, but can certainly be useful, to make it more concise.

Should I just make an all-purpose "All Info" resume, then? As I said, I have very little industry experience (one four-month position that I did four years ago). The rest is grad school projects and teaching assistantships.

No, you should not make an "everything" resume unless you are going to scattershot it and protip: don't scattershot it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bisty Q. posted:

No, you should not make an "everything" resume unless you are going to scattershot it and protip: don't scattershot it.

Can you elaborate on why that is bad? And what is meant by "scattershot"?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mak0rz posted:

Can you elaborate on why that is bad? And what is meant by "scattershot"?

I think Bisty means "Send resume to anything and everything that could work."

All that's going to do is get you a bunch of generic emails telling you to buzz off.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

I think Bisty means "Send resume to anything and everything that could work."

All that's going to do is get you a bunch of generic emails telling you to buzz off.

Yeah, this. A lot of people get the horrible horrible horrible advice to blanket the world with their resumes in hope that some sucker company will accidentally call you. This is an awful idea, because it is completely transparent and a huge waste of your time. Tailor each application package to the job and you have a much much much higher chance of it being remotely successful.

When I get a scattershot resume, I don't even read it. Literally. Resumes where the person tried get more than my initial scan, but generally with most resumes that come in, it's "scan -> see 'objective' or 'summary' that applies to a completely different job -> recycle bin".

You should be picky about your jobs too; this is a Major Life Decision and you don't want to rush into something.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 29, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Bisty Q. posted:

Yeah, this. A lot of people get the horrible horrible horrible advice to blanket the world with their resumes in hope that some sucker company will accidentally call you. This is an awful idea, because it is completely transparent and a huge waste of your time. Tailor each application package to the job and you have a much much much higher chance of it being remotely successful.

When I get a scattershot resume, I don't even read it. Literally. Resumes where the person tried get more than my initial scan, but generally with most resumes that come in, it's "scan -> see 'objective' or 'summary' that applies to a completely different job -> recycle bin".

You should be picky about your jobs too; this is a Major Life Decision and you don't want to rush into something.

Same. My HR folks are really good about weeding out people who spam the same resume at everything, but I do keep tabs on what gets submitted (even if they reject it before it gets to me), and holy hell are some of those awful. I've had people submit resumes with objectives describing things not even in the same industry.

So, don't be that guy. Please. I know how much it sucks looking for a job (it took me two years of looking to get out of my last place), but just spamming the same resume everywhere is a waste of everybody's time. Also, just by tailoring your resume to the position, that gives you a leg up.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Bisty Q. posted:

Can someone post some examples of this? I tried doing a little of this when I was applying for jobs, emphasizing certain projects more than others depending on the job, but as an entry-level applicant, I didn't have that much experience and there didn't seem to be a lot of tailoring I could do.

It might have helped that all the jobs I looked at were in fairly similar fields.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've seen someone apply to be a marine engineer (specifically a chief engineer) with mechanical engineer qualification. The two are vaguely related, but not at all comparable from a certification standpoint.

Also we don't hire engineers. At all. Never have, never will. A five second look at the website would have shown that. Yet I still get resumes every week, from people who aren't even qualified to work in this country. (They always include their picture too)

I don't have anything to do with hiring, by the way. They just see my email on the site and fire.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I had an interview about a week ago - the first proper interview after about 10 months of being unemployed (I've applied for a lot of things, but there seems to be 300 applicants for everything, also I'm kind of changing careers). This thread was really useful for preparing.

It seemed like the interview went really well - as soon as I sat down, the first interviewer (potential future boss) said that he was "delighted" to see that I'd worked at my previous employer, because he's a long time customer and loves their products (it's kind of rare to find someone who actually understands what my old job was about). We chatted about our mutual nerdy hobby while waiting for the HR person to arrive. And the HR person was really interested in my other hobbies. I just hope they were equally impressed with my qualifications and experience, because this job would be perfect for me.

They said they'd let me know this week or early next week. I hate waiting for a phone call :/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Employment-Knowin' Goons posted:

Good advice.

Alright, thanks for the information everyone! I'll keep doing things as I always have been and consider my dad's advice just a product of his time.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Looking for interview advice or impressions. I've snipped a lot of the details from my experiences, not so much for privacy but just to get the generic details down. I figure others must have encountered this sort of thing.

I work in a technical / scientific field that's in demand and on the rise. Call it FooSci. A year ago, I was called in to interview as the core FooSci expert for a government research institute. Last week I was called in to interview as the head of a core FooSci an another institute. Pretty similar positions with pretty similar needs. Did the more recent interview better than the last, but was successful at neither.

Both jobs sported the description of "FooSci is on the rise / we need more of it / what would your vision be for how you'd run it / how would you see the future of FooSci here". So I prepared and delivered a talk on the ever growing need for FooSci, how I'd deliver expertise with limited resources, how I'd do education and construct services to empower staff in FooSci tech. Seemed logical to me.

In both cases, I got fairly tepid responses:

* "You're right, it's what we need, but it will never happen."
* "We don't have the time or resources to do this. We need to solve our FooSci problems now!"
* "What do we need with all of this, we have plenty of FooSci expertise here already."
* "How will you find the time to do any of this, our FooSci capacity is stretched to breaking!"
* "This will take ages and we need an instant solution."

(Note the contradictions.)

Some of this is, no doubt, the usual interview questions that can't be answered. And part is maybe employers looking for a solution under impossible conditions. But advice on how to handle this would be appreciated.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

outlier posted:

Looking for interview advice or impressions. I've snipped a lot of the details from my experiences, not so much for privacy but just to get the generic details down. I figure others must have encountered this sort of thing.

:words:
You're thinking too big picture. You want to articulate a vision, sure, but these people want someone tactical on the ground now who can step in and say "if we do X, Y, and Z, we'll be able to turbo 40% more encabulators this year" rather than someone who can come up with some imaginary unlimited-resource plan.

Basically it sounds like you aren't giving them enough detail to make them feel like they can trust you to DO the job right now and that instead you are selling them ideas rather than answers. I'd focus more on short-term stuff even in your vision rather than giving a long-term goal and talk about how you specifically can help solve a short term pain point. If they don't list one, ask for one; that is allowed. :)

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Below is the critique of the Goon who asked for one by PM. Good luck!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008
Recent university grad here - been searching for engineering positions with little success. I'm having trouble making the most out of what limited experience I have without getting too fanciful in my descriptions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4uc1bp74fnxw6s/SanitizedResume.docx

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Kind of complicated question:

I am applying for jobs in Seattle and I live in Florida. I am very qualified for several jobs I'm applying for, but they are at public universities (and I currently work for a public university).

I'm worried that by applying over the internet, I am probably being ignored if anyone who already lives nearby is even remotely qualified. I am going to be in Seattle next week on vacation, and am wondering if it's a good idea to just kind of walk in and "introduce myself."

I have a few misgivings about this, as I feel like it could do more damage than good? You apply for the job through the university's website, and doing research tells me who is probably going through the applications. I could probably just walk in there and say I was an applicant that wanted to introduce myself since I was excited about the job. My goal would be to show that I was a real person and serious about the job, rather than a name on the other end of the country.

If I did this, should I dress business casual? I'm worried if I overdressed it would look like I was inviting myself for an interview. If I go in and ask for x person and they are busy, should I just drop off my business card and resume to a receptionist and leave? I would want to make it a quick hello, and I wouldn't want to annoy anyone by forcing them to take time out of their day or pull someone off important work to talk to me.

This is for an administrative position that requires specialized knowledge, not a teaching or academic position.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

systran posted:

Kind of complicated question:

I am applying for jobs in Seattle and I live in Florida. I am very qualified for several jobs I'm applying for, but they are at public universities (and I currently work for a public university).

I'm worried that by applying over the internet, I am probably being ignored if anyone who already lives nearby is even remotely qualified. I am going to be in Seattle next week on vacation, and am wondering if it's a good idea to just kind of walk in and "introduce myself."

I have a few misgivings about this, as I feel like it could do more damage than good? You apply for the job through the university's website, and doing research tells me who is probably going through the applications. I could probably just walk in there and say I was an applicant that wanted to introduce myself since I was excited about the job. My goal would be to show that I was a real person and serious about the job, rather than a name on the other end of the country.

If I did this, should I dress business casual? I'm worried if I overdressed it would look like I was inviting myself for an interview. If I go in and ask for x person and they are busy, should I just drop off my business card and resume to a receptionist and leave? I would want to make it a quick hello, and I wouldn't want to annoy anyone by forcing them to take time out of their day or pull someone off important work to talk to me.

This is for an administrative position that requires specialized knowledge, not a teaching or academic position.
If you're applying for a job that's not in the area where you live, you need to write a cover letter explaining that you're a serious candidate, as well as why you want to move to that area. Don't just drop in -- nobody from HR cares, because they aren't the hiring manager, and the hiring manager isn't going to appreciate a drop-in. If you're going to be in Seattle next week, you should have sent this a week ago to give them time to review your resume. Send it today, and follow up directly with an HR contact to explain your availability for the interview if they're interested.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Bisty Q. posted:

Basically it sounds like you aren't giving them enough detail to make them feel like they can trust you to DO the job right now and that instead you are selling them ideas rather than answers. I'd focus more on short-term stuff even in your vision rather than giving a long-term goal and talk about how you specifically can help solve a short term pain point. If they don't list one, ask for one; that is allowed. :)

You may have a point there. It's hard (nearly impossible) to work out their "point of pain" from the outside, but I'll see what I can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Misogynist posted:

If you're applying for a job that's not in the area where you live, you need to write a cover letter explaining that you're a serious candidate, as well as why you want to move to that area. Don't just drop in -- nobody from HR cares, because they aren't the hiring manager, and the hiring manager isn't going to appreciate a drop-in. If you're going to be in Seattle next week, you should have sent this a week ago to give them time to review your resume. Send it today, and follow up directly with an HR contact to explain your availability for the interview if they're interested.

Oh, so it is acceptable to say "I'm moving to the area because my fiancee got transferred"? I've been leaving off any personal information as a matter of habit.