Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chronojam posted:

It's neat that you can search in one place for things and it will tell you if it's on Netflix or Amazon or whatever. That's sorta it.

And that can be done at http://www.canistream.it/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
TVii is flawed from the get-go, because anyone who has proper surround sound on their Wii U is using an HDMI receiver, and the only input-switching that the GamePad does is for the TV itself. I'll be glad to be wrong if this has been updated though.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Is the pro controller worth it? I didn't have much trouble beating Rayman Legends with the gamepad, but at the same time, I don't want to wear out the gamepad, as its my suspicion that a replacement gamepad would cost significantly more than a pro controller.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

elf help book posted:

What's allowed to be discussed in this thread?

Anything general related to the WiiU, really. The problem is that when people start talking about Mario 64, Pokemon or Zelda topics without any relation to the WiiU, it buries legit WiiU discussion. It's best to bring that stuff to their respective threads.

keyvin posted:

Is the pro controller worth it? I didn't have much trouble beating Rayman Legends with the gamepad, but at the same time, I don't want to wear out the gamepad, as its my suspicion that a replacement gamepad would cost significantly more than a pro controller.

Only if you can find it for $20 or $25, which I think you can, otherwise no. I think it'll become useful when the more complex games come out next year (X, Bayonetta, new Zelda maybe, Smash Bros, etc.).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

Only if you can find it for $20 or $25, which I think you can, otherwise no. I think it'll become useful when the more complex games come out next year (X, Bayonetta, new Zelda maybe, Smash Bros, etc.).

This is my issue. I'm waiting for a deal to get them for around $25 instead of the $49.99 I always see them for.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This is my issue. I'm waiting for a deal to get them for around $25 instead of the $49.99 I always see them for.

Go third party, then. Nintendo made stuff will not go down in price. I was reminded of this when all the Mario talk made me look for Mario 64 DS and it's loving $39.99 new. What's that, seven, eight years old, original launch game for a now outdated system, still full loving price.

I don't see a Pro Controller going down in price for a long, long time. Good luck finding that one specific sale that will include it, though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wii U Pro Controllers are 18usd and up on ebay though, they even come in authentic boxes and all that.

I've bought both of mine from there, they're really decent all-round bluetooth controllers for android and the like, as well.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

keyvin posted:

I would try Amazon's used selection. I was able to get one for $23 a few months ago, and it seemed brand new.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Most games that use the Wii U pro controller will also use the (much cheaper) Wii Classic controller. As an added bonus, those work with Wii games!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Go third party, then. Nintendo made stuff will not go down in price. I was reminded of this when all the Mario talk made me look for Mario 64 DS and it's loving $39.99 new. What's that, seven, eight years old, original launch game for a now outdated system, still full loving price.

I don't see a Pro Controller going down in price for a long, long time. Good luck finding that one specific sale that will include it, though.

They dropped down to $25 for a while at BestBuy so it's entirely possible they'll drop again. I picked one up with no issues for that price.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Amazon may have just spoiled the fourth Donkey Kong Country TF character by revealing the full cover:

It's --------Cranky Kong--------

http://i.imgur.com/XtdVfrg.jpg

Please be true :allears:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kurtofan posted:

Amazon may have just spoiled the fourth Donkey Kong Country TF character by revealing the full cover:

People who were expecting Super Kong to be the fourth character weren't that far off.

He is in fact, the most super of Kongs. The most superior of all Kongs, barring Funky Kong.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
DKC Returns was my GOTY and it's probably my favorite 2D platformer ever so this is probably going to be my system seller.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

That owns.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Donkey Kong Country Returns, will this one have a normal control scheme by default? I could never get into the Wii game due to the overuse of motion controls. Still need to get the 3DS version, but wondering if they took a cue from that game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Speaking of Donkey Kong Country Returns, will this one have a normal control scheme by default? I could never get into the Wii game due to the overuse of motion controls. Still need to get the 3DS version, but wondering if they took a cue from that game.

I can't imagine them using motion controls as a default on this one given the Wii U gamepad is the primary controller.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rirse posted:

You only use it to roll and it's not that bad really. I do really wish that you could put it on a button bc that game is just so loving tight otherwise.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kurtofan posted:

If that's true, the game just entered "preorder" status on my "to buy" list, because that is very awesome! :allears:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Gutcruncher posted:

Most games that use the Wii U pro controller will also use the (much cheaper) Wii Classic controller. As an added bonus, those work with Wii games!

Please don't recommend the Wii Classic controller because that thing is truly a piece of poo poo. :colbert:

Buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TLTBN...405X8JRPH3ET7K&

Or spring for this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AFLXQ...T5X4JZ43ZX44WM&

Both of which are high quality.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, TRU is doing a "buy the new COD, get 50% off another game" deal online right now. Here's all the non-terrible Wii/U stuff:

quote:

WII U

Assassin's Creed 3
New Super Mario Bros. U
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Mass Effect 3
Nintendo Land
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Lego City Undercover
ZombiU
Resident Evil Revelations
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Batman Arkham Origins
Assassin's Creed 4
Game & Wario
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
Sonic Lost World
Rayman Legends
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Mario & Sonic at 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics
Wii Party U (with Wiimote Plus)
Super Mario 3D World
Ducktales Remastered
Mario & Sonic at 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics (with Wiimote Plus)

WII

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Baroque
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Metroid Other M
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Namco Museum Megamix
Rayman Origins
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympics
Fortune Street
Mario Party 9
Mario Kart Wii

Some of those games were fairly cheap to begin with, so if you're already buying COD they might be worth grabbing with the extra discount.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Robin Hood posted:

Please don't recommend the Wii Classic controller because that thing is truly a piece of poo poo. :colbert:

This is just wrong. The Classic Pro's are great and all, but the OG Classic Controllers are awesome for SNES and Genesis/Megadrive games on the Virtual Console.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah the Wii classic controller is great, I've played a ton of VC games with it and more recently it worked as a pretty good MH3U controller when my Wii U gamepad broke.

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

He better attack enemies and lift barrels with his beard.

Also the golden Classic Controller Pro is the best Classic Controller because it has a matte finish. I don't know whose idea it was to put a shiny finish on a device that you are going to rub your oily sweaty hands on constantly.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any word on N64 VC dates?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any word on N64 VC dates?

It would be nice if Blastcorps made an appearance. I've had a really stupid urge to play this game again for several years now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I Might Be Adam posted:

It would be nice if Blastcorps made an appearance. I've had a really stupid urge to play this game again for several years now.

More and likely that would appear on the XBone since Microsoft owns the original properties from Rare.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Rirse posted:

More and likely that would appear on the XBone since Microsoft owns the original properties from Rare.

And if it happened from Rare now it would be kinect only :(

I have almost no love left for donkey kong after the retarded jet barrel levels from returns but if I can play as cranky hmmm, that might be enough to get me to grab it on the cheap later.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chance posted:

I have almost no love left for donkey kong after the retarded jet barrel levels from returns but if I can play as cranky hmmm, that might be enough to get me to grab it on the cheap later.

Dunno, Rare did license Killing Instinct to some other group, so while Rare themselves won't be making it, other studios could.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

In regards to Tropical Freeze's potential fourth character: I never thought I'd say that I hoped a character would be like Nabbit from New Super Luigi U, but if Cranky Kong is an invincible assist character / super guide that vocally berates you for asking for his help, I will absolutely love this game to death.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rirse posted:

They can copy the gameplay though. Call it Wrecking Crew and have the Wario Bros save the world by destroying it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Super Luigi U, $15!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/new-sup...80ugAADuuO4Iwtw

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

japtor posted:

They can copy the gameplay though. Call it Wrecking Crew and have the Wario Bros save the world by destroying it.

Wario's garlic shipment has run amok! You need to keep it safe!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Thanks

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Chance posted:

Really? I loved those, you can just skip them if you're really having that much trouble. It's funny, DKC was basically the "hard game" everyone complains about not having and nobody paid it any heed.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Thank you thread for singing the praises of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Not only is it full of fun crap from my childhood, it is also an excellent kart racing game. It even has an actually fun single player mode, which is something Mario Kart has never really managed imo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Dunno, Rare did license Killing Instinct to some other group, so while Rare themselves won't be making it, other studios could.

It was still and MS exclusive though. While Rare didn't make it, MS still aren't gonna allow Rare's properties to go on other systems.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Thanks for this

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Real talk why does it take so long to launch the Wii app?! I tried it for the first time last night and it takes loving forever to play a Wii game.

Also I downloaded A Link To The Past and it told me no Wii motes, but in the OP it says I can play anything with a Wii Motion Plus wii mote, confirm/deny?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

rear end Catchcum posted:

Also I downloaded A Link To The Past and it told me no Wii motes, but in the OP it says I can play anything with a Wii Motion Plus wii mote, confirm/deny?
SNES or N64 games (possibly Genesis games too, not sure) on the Wii Virtual Console need a Classic Controller attachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I picked up a classic controller pro for cheap. Am I just out of practice with my thumbs, or are the thumb sticks shittier than the gamepad?

• Locked thread