Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WeaponBoy posted:

Yeah, point-blank aiming is really skewed and is exacerbated by projectile weapons. I was leveling my Cestra and when my gun was basically in a dude's chest the bolts would go whizzing past. It's less noticeable with hitscan weapons but it's there; you still miss, but you can't actually watch the projectiles not hit the target.

Ahh, this might explain why I was getting frustrated point-blank shooting with my Lex way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

hooah posted:

Ahh, this might explain why I was getting frustrated point-blank shooting with my Lex way back when.

The Lex is hitscan, so it doesn't apply.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Yaos posted:

I think to make the game better they should be thinking of the game as a Diablo clone since it's already part of the way there. You run through tons of mindless monsters and pick up loot, in this case mods, and grind your way to getting slightly better mods so you can kill more powerful monsters. It's already a step ahead of Diablo 3 with random levels. The game really needs more tilesets and more stuff in each tileset too.

It is nice to see a PC port butchered on the consoles since us PC folk get it the other way all the time.

I'll forgive them the issues of the ps4 port since they've only been working on it since March. Now if it still has the same issues when ps4 catches up to pc, that's a different story.

In the d3 vein, they need champion versions of mobs with random buffs that can randomly spawn. Maybe with random weaknesses as well. That would definitely spice things up. Imagine flame-enchanted ancients with a haste aura or stun-immune bombadiers that fire poison missiles.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 2, 2013

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Dezztroy posted:

The Lex is hitscan, so it doesn't apply.
That doesn't matter if the hitscan is a raytrace from the character model rather than the camera, since the perceived position of the character doesn't align with the actual position of the character under draw order shenanigan conditions.

Yaos posted:

I think to make the game better they should be thinking of the game as a Diablo clone since it's already part of the way there.
In the last thread, I distinctly remember comparisons to Monster Hunter.

Barnacle Snatcher
Aug 19, 2006

All things began in order so shall they end, so shall they begin again according to the Ordainer of Order and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.

Crowbear posted:

I also have Many Keys and am down for this.

I'll definitely be on after work!

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Fish Noise posted:

God no, that would imply fun bosses.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I really wish this game had dedicated servers on the PS4. Seems like 75% of the time there is a host migration it just flat out doesn't work or it resets all the drops you previously had prior to the new host. Nothing like being on wave 24 of a defense mission only for the host to rage quit even though everyone else was still alive.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

I really wish this game had dedicated servers on the PS4. Seems like 75% of the time there is a host migration it just flat out doesn't work or it resets all the drops you previously had prior to the new host. Nothing like being on wave 24 of a defense mission only for the host to rage quit even though everyone else was still alive.
They fixed this bug on PC recently so next patch I'd expect it to be fixed on PS4.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Doji Sekushi posted:

If you're on PS4 we can take you through a survival or something, you'll get all the mats super quick. If you're on PC, I'm sure there are tons more goons with tons more stuff around.

I'm on PS4 and having the same issues and that sounds pretty neat. My PSN is demonguard4, feel free to hit me up with an invite if I'm online because I'm always down for free loot.

Edit: vv The PS4 controls are actually surprisingly good other than crouch and slide/etc being on the same button since they were able to map the abilities to directional swipes on the touchpad which works really well.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 2, 2013

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Dapper Man posted:

I thought that was a decent review, tho I didn't understand his complaints about a lack of a cover system. I was expecting maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10, and not the 4/10 he gave it. I've not played the PS4 version tho. Maybe the controls are more clunky so the intended pace of the game doesn't come off as well as it does on PC.
If you plug a gamepad into the PC version you can see that this is definitely the case. Trying to cram this game's controls onto a gamepad is going to result in some awkward compromises no matter what. Even with that in mind, they made some really poor choices for the default control scheme, making it a pretty wretched experience if you try to play it without switching some things around.

I'm not sure, but since it's a console game, they might have removed the ability to remap the controls, which would potentially exasperate the problem even further. I don't have a PS4 so I can't confirm that though.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Lork posted:

If you plug a gamepad into the PC version you can see that this is definitely the case. Trying to cram this game's controls onto a gamepad is going to result in some awkward compromises no matter what. Even with that in mind, they made some really poor choices for the default control scheme, making it a pretty wretched experience if you try to play it without switching some things around.

I'm not sure, but since it's a console game, they might have removed the ability to remap the controls, which would potentially exasperate the problem even further. I don't have a PS4 so I can't confirm that though.

There are a couple of options for controls on PS4 but you can't specify your own bindings, which is troublesome. I had problems with crouching/sliding on PS4 where I do not have any issues with a gamepad on PC.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

That doesn't matter if the hitscan is a raytrace from the character model rather than the camera, since the perceived position of the character doesn't align with the actual position of the character under draw order shenanigan conditions.

The game is basically a Western PSO which doesn't look like rear end but has significantly shittier bosses.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I guess we know the reason why sega didn't localize pso2 then :v:

Aside from hating money :v:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

What are the chances that Warfame PS4 gets updated to U11 tomorrow with the PSN updates? Or are PS4 updates done totally independently now from PSN updates

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Has anyone found a spot that drops T3 Capture keys after U11? I need 1 more blade for my Orthos Prime and cannot get a key to drop for the life of me. They used to drop on Xini for me rarely but I've run it a number of times since the patch with no luck.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Bruc posted:

Has anyone found a spot that drops T3 Capture keys after U11? I need 1 more blade for my Orthos Prime and cannot get a key to drop for the life of me. They used to drop on Xini for me rarely but I've run it a number of times since the patch with no luck.

Anny T3 survival should do.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Lork posted:

If you plug a gamepad into the PC version you can see that this is definitely the case. Trying to cram this game's controls onto a gamepad is going to result in some awkward compromises no matter what.

I actually have no problem with the gamepad controls. All skills on the touchpad lets just about everything else have its own button (other than crouch/slide but that's fine). Once you unlock melee and change the wallrun setting, the controls are great.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

AF posted:

4/10 is reasonable.

On the scale of game reviews, 4/10 is not a fun game. Warframe is a fun game, no matter how much Denzine has little breakdowns over his gaping timesink, god rest his soul.

Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 3, 2013

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Bosses need to move around and do stuff. While not being invulnerable 99% of the time. Warframes are fast and super maneuverable, there is really no reason why we shouldn't be constantly dodging missile barrages and volleys of laser spam while being beset by waves of regular trash enemies. All the good warframes can deal with that poo poo, and all the bad ones should be buffed so they can too. I should want to fight bosses.

Defense/survival/mobdef are fun because you are usually in for a good fight, and get rewarded well for your efforts. Right now boss fights involve diddling around a mostly empty level, shooting at a fat nonthreatening sack of hp for 5 minutes while it flails around its lovely arena. Then you get a slash dash mod and some alloy plate rather than anything worth while. And another ember systems to go on your pile of 40 fuckin systems.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Harrower posted:

Bosses need to move around and do stuff. While not being invulnerable 99% of the time. Warframes are fast and super maneuverable, there is really no reason why we shouldn't be constantly dodging missile barrages and volleys of laser spam while being beset by waves of regular trash enemies. All the good warframes can deal with that poo poo, and all the bad ones should be buffed so they can too. I should want to fight bosses.

Defense/survival/mobdef are fun because you are usually in for a good fight, and get rewarded well for your efforts. Right now boss fights involve diddling around a mostly empty level, shooting at a fat nonthreatening sack of hp for 5 minutes while it flails around its lovely arena. Then you get a slash dash mod and some alloy plate rather than anything worth while. And another ember systems to go on your pile of 40 fuckin systems.

Sometimes I'll kill some of the older bosses and not realize it. That really shouldn't happen.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dapper Man posted:

On the scale of game reviews, 4/10 is not a fun game. Warframe is a fun game, much matter how much Denzine has little breakdown over his gaping timesink, god rest his soul.
I'd definitely say Warframe is a 7/10 game. If ratings were harsher for games, a 6 or 6.5 maybe.

Pros:
  • Shoot stuff in space with friends
  • Unlock a wide variety of unique and powerful characters and weapons
  • Reasonable free to play system that doesn't require you to pay much (frame/weapon slots, and even those aren't required)
  • Tons of things to collect and obtain, many ways to make your character incrementally more powerful if you don't want to collect
  • Log on any time and do something fun for 3 minutes or 2 hours
  • Player skill determines efficiency, and it's possible to optimize the hell out of your play even 200 hours later, although arguably pointless
  • The few missions worth running are usually super fun (t3 mobile defenses/survival, occasionally a defense)

Cons:
  • Repetitive mission types that make exploring planets tedious bordering on pointless
  • Only a few missions worth running, most missions are bad for items, experience, and more. You just want to get them over with to clear the node.
  • Sort of non-existent endgame, unless you consider multi-hour survival or hwd endgame
  • For new-new players the game plays like it is tightly designed, but once you get mods and a weapon upgrade you begin to trivialize most content
  • You eventually severely out scale any challenge the game offers outside of sitting in a survival or defense for hours (doubles as a pro if you like blasting many enemies)
  • Boss encounters are less involved than in most MMOs which is kind of confusing because the game design could easily result in some really complicated boss fights, especially with calculations being done mostly clientside
  • Some bosses are poorly designed (krill, invulnerable for years while you afk behind a wall and wait until you can hurt him, jackal sort of if your weapons really suck otherwise he's fine I guess but not very involved)
  • Instead of boss mechanics that players react to it's mostly "do you know that boss x has some dumb gimmick you have to wait out or shoot him in the ball of his foot during this animation?" design

A few more pros would be unmatched developer transparency, constantly adding new content for free that is at least another few hours of play for you, and it seems to be shooting for long term viability over short term profits. So it's a pretty neat game to play, take a break from, and come back to play more. You can also skip all the crappy stuff and just invite your friend to the fun stuff. The biggest con is how they continuously botch scaling and boss balance.

There's a ton of potential for involved and difficult boss combat, but with how wildly certain abilities and weapons scale and their so far lame boss design, it's just not happening. With the way the current game works they could implement a ranged boss who one shots people with a hitscan weapon that fires 20 times per second and you could still trivialize it in a number of ways. They are way too conservative on boss balance and design. Adding something that is near unkillable unless you chain together frame skills and don't stand in fire and move away from everyone if you get hit with a debuff wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 3, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Dapper Man posted:

On the scale of game reviews, 4/10 is not a fun game. Warframe is a fun game, much matter how much Denzine has little breakdown over his gaping timesink, god rest his soul.

I choose to believe this post's structure is intentionally mirroring Warframe's. It is art.

Khorne posted:

So it's a pretty neat game to play, take a break from, and come back to play more.

This is easily Warframe's strongest point, far more than anything else. It is popcorn shootmans video gaming and I love that.

That said if they ever gate Cyath etc, or if they make something actually important as hard to grind out as shotgun poison, this game will die within days.

vvv I meant it in a "this has issues, but you still get the point" sort of way. Despite Warframe's problems it still works, just as everyone would be able to understand what you posted. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to be so insulting.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 3, 2013

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Denzine posted:

I choose to believe this post's structure is intentionally mirroring Warframe's. It is art.

Hey, I thought your post was kind of funny. I didn't know you were upset. Sorry buddy. :(

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Could I get an invite to the PS4 group? Taylonhart

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Game reviewers are either bad at video games, biased as gently caress, liars, or all of the above.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Harrower posted:

Game reviewers are either bad at video games, biased as gently caress, liars, or all of the above.

Occasionally they're just good old-fashioned incompetent, but it seems like they usually just slowly twist their vision of games into something totally different from the general populace from being forced to play so goddamn many of them and start to value relatively minor points above more important ones like fun.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Are there any tricks on beating Stalker when he shows up? Also someone mentioned a farming spot for him, is that PC only? I'd really like to get Despair, it's pretty much an upgrade of Kunai right?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

katkillad2 posted:

Are there any tricks on beating Stalker when he shows up? Also someone mentioned a farming spot for him, is that PC only? I'd really like to get Despair, it's pretty much an upgrade of Kunai right?

Since you say "is that PC only", it sounds like you're on PS4, and are thus lucky because you can cheese the Stalker by standing on something so he can't slash-dash you to death. Then you just plug as many bullets into him as you can. Some warframe abilities should still affect him, but I can't remember which.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Dapper Man posted:

On the scale of game reviews, 4/10 is not a fun game. Warframe is a fun game, no matter how much Denzine has little breakdowns over his gaping timesink, god rest his soul.

I would give it 6.5/10. I don't get the low score for all the reviews when people just can't stop logging hours into it. They'reWe're all hating the shallow depth to the game but the gameplay is just fun and satisfying. It's practically the Bejewelled of shoot-mans games. The stylish explosions and shiny environments are just different enough from anything else out there that it's not boring to look at. Gaming journalists are retards who can't value anything except getting gifts from developers. Also doesn't help that gamers will complain about anything other than getting fellated by super model fellatio world champion at all times because they'rewe're literally manchildren.

Seriously, name the last AAA title you spent as much time as this game. I couldn't even break 70 hours with Skyrim. Even with mods.

Are the devs not good enough to make the game properly? Maybe, but do you think a more competent, AAA-minded devs would even make something like this? They'd make a F2P 3PS CoD-lite instead with tons of microtransactions.

Or maybe I'm just jaded after a year's abuse at the hands of PGI's Mechwarrior Online. DE looks like geniuses compared to PGI. AT the very least they do not blatantly and proudly show utter contempt of their own player base.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

wid posted:

I would give it 6.5/10. I don't get the low score for all the reviews when people just can't stop logging hours into it. They'reWe're all hating the shallow depth to the game but the gameplay is just fun and satisfying. It's practically the Bejewelled of shoot-mans games. The stylish explosions and shiny environments are just different enough from anything else out there that it's not boring to look at. Gaming journalists are retards who can't value anything except getting gifts from developers. Also doesn't help that gamers will complain about anything other than getting fellated by super model fellatio world champion at all times because they'rewe're literally manchildren.

Seriously, name the last AAA title you spent as much time as this game. I couldn't even break 70 hours with Skyrim. Even with mods.

Are the devs not good enough to make the game properly? Maybe, but do you think a more competent, AAA-minded devs would even make something like this? They'd make a F2P 3PS CoD-lite instead with tons of microtransactions.

Or maybe I'm just jaded after a year's abuse at the hands of PGI's Mechwarrior Online. DE looks like geniuses compared to PGI. AT the very least they do not blatantly and proudly show utter contempt of their own player base.

Game reviewers are just looking to get their work out and get hits. Rating systems never make sense and often don't reflect what the review actually mentions. They're almost never critiques on a serious level and game reviewers, at least the bigger ones that focus on AAA games, are all about getting clicks. ME3 showed clearly enough that they just didn't engage with the game and the series in a similar manner as the average fan and the obsessed ones.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I could list a few games I've sunk hundreds of hours into, but I could also give you more than a dozen lovely asian MMO's that I sunk thousands of hours into... if only I could remember their names. :v:

edit: ^^ That a reviewer doesn't write as an obsessed fan would ought to be a point in their favor :psyduck:

Denzine fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 3, 2013

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I don't know what the hell is up with the devs. "OK GUYS WERE GONNA GET RID OF RAINBOW BUILDS AND MAKE ARMOR NOT A BIG DEAL ANYMORE". *Makes rainbow builds even better, armor unchanged*. "BUT LOOK AT HOW NEAT AND SHINY EVERYTHING IS". I just don't see how they can have a clear cut goal, then miss the gently caress out of it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Denzine posted:

edit: ^^ That a reviewer doesn't write as an obsessed fan would ought to be a point in their favor :psyduck:

His complaint that leveling up does not noticeably increase the capability of equipment, however, makes me question whether the reviewer understood the game mechanic's he was reviewing.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm not sure if I did something to cause this, but it's getting pretty old. No matter what planet I select, the camera zooms over to that planet, but it selects Eilon, Venus so that when I try to move the cursor around at all it zooms back over to Venus and starts moving from there.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008

Harrower posted:

I don't know what the hell is up with the devs. "OK GUYS WERE GONNA GET RID OF RAINBOW BUILDS AND MAKE ARMOR NOT A BIG DEAL ANYMORE". *Makes rainbow builds even better, armor unchanged*. "BUT LOOK AT HOW NEAT AND SHINY EVERYTHING IS". I just don't see how they can have a clear cut goal, then miss the gently caress out of it.

Hasn't it been stated that they have no design doc? I mean that seems like a pretty clear reason for them to miss the mark. They've stuck themselves in the League of Legends model where they need to have something new for players to buy every 2-4 weeks. I mean yeah that's a great way to make money, but that method seems to always end up in a position where the new stuff replaces/invalidates older content: Soma - Gorgon/Grakata : Nova - most everyone else's ult etc.

Damage 2.0 was nice but really hasn't changed the dynamics that much. I think they really need to just take like a month or six weeks to just knuckle down and go over everything.

Randler posted:

His complaint that leveling up does not noticeably increase the capability of equipment, however, makes me question whether the reviewer understood the game mechanic's he was reviewing.

This probably stems from the tutorial not mentioning mods/slots/mod energy/etc in any useful way. It is especially confusing since frames do get marginally better with levels while weapons don't. It's one of those weird inconsistencies that can be found throughout this game.

j5mello fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 3, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Whatever, I guess this just goes to show you probably shouldn't throw out a game that's still in deep beta as "reviewable", especially on the console market. :shrug:
I wonder if Planetside and Blacklight: Retribution had a rocky start as well.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 3, 2013

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008

amuayse posted:

Whatever, I guess this just goes to show you probably shouldn't throw out a game that's still in deep beta as "reviewable", especially on the console market. :shrug:

The problem is then when can you review it? The idea of betas has become so muddled that to say you should only review a "finished" game is less than helpful.

Especially for games to be accepting cash in their stores during these betas.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Randler posted:

As a general rule game reviewers don't know poo poo about games and are bad at playing them. All they care about is churning out their articles/Youtube videos to generate income; see almost none of the reviews of Forza even mentioning the F2P-style cashgrabs that infest it as a recent example.

I have to say, getting four revives per day in a game where going down costs you everything you've picked up and where you rely on the idiots you're matched with to help out is a pretty poo poo mechanic. Losing out on further drops/completion bonuses should more than suffice when you forfeit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If a game is charging money and openly playable by the public it is reviewable. The "but it's a beta!" defense is way beyond tired and should never be accepted if the previous two conditions have been met.

Warframe is not in beta at this point. It is a released game no matter what anyone says. Slapping a "beta" tag on a game just because it doesn't have all the features you want to put into it yet is ridiculous because you'll be "adding features" until the end of time. Many games today, especially F2P ones, never reach a state of completion and are continually under development for their entire life cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
As a new player who just looked up what 'zorencoptering' is, is there a good reason I shouldn't craft some zorens just for giggles?