Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Attention Horse posted:

Or, you know, you can just go to the military base and get machineguns, grenade launchers, thermite, shotguns, tons of ammo...

Grenade launcher watch tower NPCS: gee thanks for blowing up all my carsss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Hmm, I think their new loot system is kinda broken or I really don't understand it. I'm at Breakdown level 3 right now (still my first run), and my armory consists of about 50 handguns, 4 identical shotguns, 3 identical grenade launchers, and 2 M60's. Where are the assault rifles, sniper rifles, submachine guns etc? This game has nearly 100 firearms, where are they?

edit: also, gently caress Ferals forever.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

gently caress the ROW posted:

They're actually pretty useful in the later stages, i've found. Just have to park your cars in a safe place depending on the HQ you're in. Plus, ammo for the thing is so rare that it's easier to just toss it to a NPC rather than deal with lugging it around looking for a good use.

On another note, has anyone had an odd bug where all of your NPC's run off and disappear when set up at Snyder's? I've noticed them running out of the HQ en-masse at the start of loading a game, never to re-appear unless I reload. It's the only HQ where that happens at, which leads me to assume it's a bug.

Also just discovered that there actually are military bases of sorts. More like checkpoints, and they have a special version of the ammo resource if you can find them. I cracked one open and was rewarded with a ton of assault rifle/LMG ammo. Not sure if that's new to breakdown or not, but it was a pleasant surprise when I discovered it when wandering the game world.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Archonex posted:

They're actually pretty useful in the later stages, i've found. Just have to park your cars in a safe place depending on the HQ you're in. Plus, ammo for the thing is so rare that it's easier to just toss it to a NPC rather than deal with lugging it around looking for a good use.

On another note, has anyone had an odd bug where all of your NPC's run off and disappear when set up at Snyder's? I've noticed them running out of the HQ en-masse at the start of loading a game, never to re-appear unless I reload. It's the only HQ where that happens at, which leads me to assume it's a bug.

Also just discovered that there actually are military bases of sorts. More like checkpoints, and they have a special version of the ammo resource if you can find them. I cracked one open and was rewarded with a ton of assault rifle/LMG ammo. Not sure if that's new to breakdown or not, but it was a pleasant surprise when I discovered it when wandering the game world.

Yeah I've found those as well. I never cracked em open because my group of 25 is always running out of ammo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Archonex posted:

I have an outpost literally across the road from Snyder's and at least three survivors are just hanging out there at any given moment.

It is pretty funny watching them run like crazy to get there. :3:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tommofork posted:

I have an outpost literally across the road from Snyder's and at least three survivors are just hanging out there at any given moment.

It is pretty funny watching them run like crazy to get there. :3:

Wish I could figure out what was up with that. It's driving me crazy that they disappear. Does that have something to do with the "away from home" thing, where you can check in on them? I never figured out the purpose of that either, except to force you to have a fetch task to re-enable someone.

In other news, I hit breakdown level five. Maybe I just have terrible luck, but apparently the game's decided to remove almost all the resources from the game. I cleaned out 12 houses and found only items. Was an hour before I found a food spawn at all. Between all of that I had a poo poo-ton of infestations and hordes hit the town. The entire town where ascension church is is basically cleaned out, with me having minimal supplies to show for it.

It's also the first time I failed a "neighbor wants your help with cleaning out an infestation" mission. Took my best guy out there (he has rage, maxed edged weapon specialization, and great gear) and he nearly died. My loving sword actually broke from the sheer amount of killing I did. I used six chemical firebombs, an artillery strike, and who knows how much ammunition and they just kept coming.

Meanwhile all of my resource surpluses from the earlier levels are looking nice. I've got like 15 medicine, 15 ammunition, and 26 food, tops. I lucked out and found a gas station with three food resources in it. On top of that i've got an rear end in a top hat (who is also one of my best zombie killers, and lead the disastrous raid on an infested trailer park) who keeps having morale issues, three of my four army heroes are constantly sick, and i'm having severe influence issues due to the lack of resource pick-ups. :stare:

I also suspect that the game is starting to handicap my characters. They seem to be running out of stamina faster, losing weapon durability faster, and they're definitely taking more damage than before. My best zombie killers are actually getting their asses kicked now. Thank god for the survivor manning the watchtower. That grenade launcher is still overpowered as hell when they have an elevation advantage.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I got this yesterday and it's pretty fun. I only played a little bit of the campaign before switching to Breakdown and at least the start was quite a bit harder. Immediately after I got to my first home base, I got some alert of there being too many hordes or something like that. Que the base getting rushed by no less than four zombie hordes in a row. :stonk:

Mind you, they came one horde at a time, otherwise we would've been completely overrun. After the fourth horde, my bleeding and beat to poo poo survivor crawled out of the base into a pickup and ran the hell over 2 or 3 more hordes that were approaching.

That was fun.

Prefuse posted:

Do the M+K controls work fine or should i be playing this with my controller?

Some here are still complaining the acceleration but I must say that I had no problems yesterday. Mouse + keyboard were fine after I adjusted the sensitivity to half of what it was in the options. This is from someone who has exclusively used mouse and keyboard for the last couple decades, so unless your mouse is hardwired to your nervous system, you should be ok.

e:

Archonex posted:

Weapons on NPCs don't use ammo from the stash or their inventories, right?

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 2, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Fewd posted:

Weapons on NPCs don't use ammo from the stash or their inventories, right?

Not that I can tell. It's just a back end calculation that seems that deducts from the ammo supply. Pretty sure it's even across all weapons too.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Tommofork posted:

The built in workshop at Snyder is a machine shop, i.e. good. It's not a wasted slot.

Really? I spent awhile trying to suss out what it actually did from its stats page, it seems to just be a regular workshop. I've never gotten a machine shop there.

gently caress the ROW posted:

My reaction when this happened to me was to immediately execute by horde the perpetrator. :commissar:

Then I destroyed all the grenade launchers we had in a fit of rage, which I am now regretting.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I've just picked up this game thanks to the steam sale and I'm doing okay so far but I'm running out of melee weapons. I can't go a single mission before one breaks and I haven't found any new ones in a while. I've had to cycle weapons between active survivors. I'm still at the church and just did the wilkerson missions and about to go on the house hunting mission. Where can I get more melee weapons easily?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

clockworkjoe posted:

I've just picked up this game thanks to the steam sale and I'm doing okay so far but I'm running out of melee weapons. I can't go a single mission before one breaks and I haven't found any new ones in a while. I've had to cycle weapons between active survivors. I'm still at the church and just did the wilkerson missions and about to go on the house hunting mission. Where can I get more melee weapons easily?

You can look for a building supply crate, or have Lily look for where some might be located by going to the radio room on the base page in your journal and selecting the option to ask around for them. If you break them open instead of loading them into a rucksack you'll get some melee weapons.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

Build a workshop. It'll automatically repair all the weapons in the stash at dawn every day. Carry two melee weapons, switch over once one gets into yellow, and then deposit both of them back into storage whenever you get back to base and pick two new ones. As long as you're grabbing weapons with three or more dots of durability, they should last you threw almost any killing you're likely to do in a day.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Little question.

I'm playing history mode now and I'm at the point where the military is asking me to blow up the wall to exit the valley. I assume that once I do that it's game over? Is it possible to continue playing past this point?

Reading Undead Labs website they say "We’ve already started on DLC2, and I think you’re going to love it."
Anyone knows any details on the next DLC? Is it going to expand Breakdown?

Also basically would you guys recommend the DLC? I haven't bought it yet and am about to finish story mode (I think, see spoiler)

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 2, 2013

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The game will end. If you want an endless game, get breakdown.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Really? I spent awhile trying to suss out what it actually did from its stats page, it seems to just be a regular workshop. I've never gotten a machine shop there.

My reaction when this happened to me was to immediately execute by horde the perpetrator. :commissar:

Then I destroyed all the grenade launchers we had in a fit of rage, which I am now regretting.

The person that posted after me said that it could be random. My built in one says it's a machine shop and has all the info for one. If yours says workshop, it must be random.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
Can Breakdown only be started after completing the campaign? Just got SoD+BO on steam, but I have already played the SoD campaign to death on the Xbox. Didn't see an option anywhere to start breakdown.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Johnnyonoes posted:

Can Breakdown only be started after completing the campaign? Just got SoD+BO on steam, but I have already played the SoD campaign to death on the Xbox. Didn't see an option anywhere to start breakdown.

It's badly done, you need to select it before you get to the real menu. Very easy just to mash space through the loading part and go straight into regular mode.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Can I see my active characters fatigue somewhere? I sometimes pick up a fresh guy from the base only to have him go "welp I sure am tired now" after a minute.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Fewd posted:

Can I see my active characters fatigue somewhere? I sometimes pick up a fresh guy from the base only to have him go "welp I sure am tired now" after a minute.

They tend to lose the first notch off their stamina bar decently quick, but one or two notches off your stamina bar usually isn't a big deal, and just because it says they're tired doesn't necessarily mean that they're about ready to drop from exhaustion. Basically just keep going with someone until you think the fatigue penalty to their stamina is to much to deal with then switch to somebody else.

And no there's no real way to see it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I just lost Marcus. A couple of days ago, we moved into the Savini house, and we've been doing pretty well, fortifying the place and making the surrounding area safe. Today one of my survivors took it upon themselves to go clear an infestation over by the Wilkerson place, and it's a real pain in the rear end to drive around the roads over to that side of the map, so I took a shortcut across the fields. In a really fast car. At night. I flipped the car, and fell down a gully when I was trying to walk out, forcing me to follow a small river down to a lake, ending up at the gas station with the big dinosaur. I'd taken some knocks from freaks, and started searching to see if I could find food or meds. I went too quick and made too much noise, drawing in a horde and a bunch more freaks. I scrambled up to the roof to buy myself some time to think about my next move, and I noticed on my radio menu I could call for SWAT team support from the sherrif. I decided to call them in and try and fight my way out, but the odds were against us. We all died there in that gas station, in the shadow of the dinosaur.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
When I went from Breakdown Level 1 to Level 2, I didn't see an option for picking who I wanted to bring with me. As a result, I only brought my active character and left everone (including the two Hero characters I recruited) behind. :(

At what point of the process of activating the RV and moving on does the option appear to pick who I want to bring with me?

Also, did anyone else notice that uncompleted challenges reset to zero when going to the next level...or was I the unfortunate victim of a bug?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had an "anger" mission to do with the angry guy being someone who was sick (and also had no weapons but I now know that's my fault) and we both got killed. Not too happy about that one. But I got a 5 durability edged weapon so that's pretty great.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

I had an "anger" mission to do with the angry guy being someone who was sick (and also had no weapons but I now know that's my fault) and we both got killed. Not too happy about that one. But I got a 5 durability edged weapon so that's pretty great.

This exists? What weapon?

Also do any weapons within the same class do more damage than any other, or is it all just based on character skill levels/stats?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

El Seven posted:

When I went from Breakdown Level 1 to Level 2, I didn't see an option for picking who I wanted to bring with me. As a result, I only brought my active character and left everone (including the two Hero characters I recruited) behind. :(

At what point of the process of activating the RV and moving on does the option appear to pick who I want to bring with me?
This took me a while to figure out as well (and I even watched the livestream!). Once you make the decision to load up the RV and move on to the next difficulty level, you have the option to carry over approximately 6 survivors (plus Lily). In order to load other survivors into the RV you must either:
- Talk to the people you wish to carry over; an option will be added to their usual dialog choices.
- Use the survivor interface in the notebook, select the survivor, then press a button ("E" on the keyboard... I don't know the XBox version's button, but I presume it pops up a tooltip)

People who are already on the RV have their portraits updated in the notebook interface, where you can also choose to pull them off the RV in case you change your mind. Lily is automatically loaded and locked into the RV; you can observe the change in her portrait the moment you decide to "move on".

quote:

Also, did anyone else notice that uncompleted challenges reset to zero when going to the next level...or was I the unfortunate victim of a bug?
The game explicitly warns you about this when you choose to "move on".

Edit: Updated to include both methods of packing survivors into the RV.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 3, 2013

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

You don't actually have to talk with people to load them into the RV. You can simply select them in the character interface and tell them to load up ("E" on the computer).

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Hakarne posted:

You don't actually have to talk with people to load them into the RV. You can simply select them in the character interface and tell them to load up ("E" on the computer).
Ah, that's much easier. Thanks!

I'm enjoying Breakdown thus far; though I've only had time to play up to Level 2. My biggest worry is that since the resources/items carry over between levels, that I'll feel like I'm deliberately handicapping myself every time I don't linger on a Level - sucking it dry of all its resources - for as long as I safely can.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 2, 2013

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012

Tibeerius posted:

This took me a while to figure out as well (and I even watched the livestream!). Once you make the decision to load up the RV, you need to talk to the people you wish to carry over; an option will be added to their usual dialog choices. You can load up something like 6 survivors. People who are already on the RV have their portraits updated in the notebook interface, where you can also choose to pull them off the RV in case you change your mind.
Ah, ok. Thanks!

Tibeerius posted:

Well, aren't I a fool. Thanks for the info. :)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Mr. Pool posted:

This exists? What weapon?

Also do any weapons within the same class do more damage than any other, or is it all just based on character skill levels/stats?

Yeah they exist. I think you can find one type in industrial buildings on construction materials, but they're rare. They look like someone bolted a sharpened piece of steel onto a length of pipe (i.e awesome).

I don't think weapons vary in damage, but I could be wrong. I'll have to go on a table leg rampage later.

Also, despite having a med lab and them researched I can't manufacture Molotov cocktails. Bummed out. Flame mines are still incredible and you should mass produce them for horde defence.

Also also, after strip mining my immediate areas I'm getting heaps of mileage out of asking Lilly to find resources. You make a profit on influence and it so far hasn't failed to find what I want. Start her looking for the next batch while you go out and collect the one she's found. I'm pretty sure this, workshop spam and having the car dealer for cars on demand is critical for the higher difficulties.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I've been hanging out on level 2 for a bit to gather up some resources/items and to get a good stable of trained survivors. I then plan on rushing through to level 6 and playing that for a while to get most of the unlocks. Once that's done or I get bored, I'll start chugging through the levels until my survivors are all brutally murdered.

On a related note, what level does the minimap go away? Because that's probably the level where I die. Also I hope there's a mod to remove fat bastards only as they're just lovely design. All of the other special zombies have interesting and dangerous mechanics but still feel like actual zombies. The fatties are poorly-designed bullet/bomb/car sponges that are cheesy as gently caress and detract from the overall experience, IMO.

Edit: is there a hero character that comes with the trait that allows you to upgrade your workshop to repair car engines? I need them badly.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 2, 2013

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Tibeerius posted:

This took me a while to figure out as well (and I even watched the livestream!). Once you make the decision to load up the RV, you need to talk to the people you wish to carry over; an option will be added to their usual dialog choices. You can load up something like 6 survivors. People who are already on the RV have their portraits updated in the notebook interface, where you can also choose to pull them off the RV in case you change your mind.

This is good info, thanks. Guess it's going to be a while before I pack it up for Level 2. I've been killing zombies with car doors like a madman and I'm still only at like 111/400. gently caress if I'm going to start all the way over at 0. In fact, the best idea seems to unlock all the heroes possible at Level 1 before moving on. I also like the idea of raiding the military stashes before moving on to Level 2 also.

Did anyone notice what happens to loot/weapons/ammo/etc when you pack up the RV? Is the stash just duplicated exactly in Level 2, or do you lose some stuff in the move?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The edged weapon I found was some sort of sword, maybe it wasn't 5 durability but it was certainly better than the axe.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
drat, I'm on level 4 right now and I can't find any medical resources, there are freak zombies everywhere, there's not a lot of cars, Every zombie bite takes about 20% of my health.

This DLC is sweet.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

When you use influence to get someone to tag along with you is the game supposed to boot them from the party when you go on a mission? It's happened to me twice now and the game doesn't give me any feedback as to whether this is intentional or not.
Anyone got a comment on this?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It happened to me once and the timing was so perfect I just assumed it was intentional.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Mental Midget posted:

Did anyone notice what happens to loot/weapons/ammo/etc when you pack up the RV? Is the stash just duplicated exactly in Level 2, or do you lose some stuff in the move?
As far as I can tell (and from what the developers said on the livestream) all of your items and resources carry over to the next level.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Does this happen for every mission? Or just missions where you have to team up with one or more NPCs? My guess is the latter.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Grey Fox V2 posted:

It happens to me every single time I get into a mission with other survivors. It's kind of annoying if you just hired the guy. Breakdown is a lot of fun, I'm only level 2 (didn't know how to load people on the RV etc) and moved into Savini's once I managed to pick up five people - base defending the unsheltered RV with only Lily and a wounded Ed was already tough. I haven't hit the military place yet and things are certainly harder than level 1.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tibeerius posted:

As far as I can tell (and from what the developers said on the livestream) all of your items and resources carry over to the next level.

IIRC all items carry over, but only a limited number of resources (moderate amount of Materials, small amount of everything else). Also as far as the dots on the minimap going away, I think they said it was level 6 on the livestream?

FloppyDisk
Feb 5, 2004
Is this where I put my Title text?
I'm pretty sure items that are in the inventory of characters that are left behind when you load up the RV are gone. So you might want to unload all the inventory items on the people you leave behind before you move on to the next level. Also, your main character's inventory is carried over so go ahead and move all those high influence items into their inventory before you set off. That way, you start the new level with high influence immediately.

I found out the hard way and left all my large backpacks between level 2 and 3. :(

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Seriously, grenade launchers are so good starting around level 5. You don't even need to actively use them. Just assign someone with one in a watchtower and cackle as your godlike sniper of a grenadier promptly annihilates every horde that comes at you.

For bonus points, try opting to enable sharpshooting in a small town. He'll arc the grenades so that you basically get mortar-esque fire support if you're in range. You just have to be careful that you don't try to melee a horde if you do that. He can't see you and the grenades do friendly fire damage.

Also had my first unintentional casualty on level 5. Sacrificed two people I left behind to get the achievements/character unlocks, but that was it.

My poor cop, Owen, who I had from level 1, got ripped apart in an epic defense of a guy running supplies to our base. He managed to kill like 30 zombies with his LMG by using the bullet time skill. Then his suppressor broke, and he had to keep shooting to stay alive. They kept coming, and he kept killing until he was pretty much firing from on top of a massive pile of flaming zombie corpses. KC Winters, my military gunner hero, escaped, but then a Big'un came crashing through my rear defenses, grabbed Owen from behind, and tore him limb from limb as he held the rear guard.

Kind of fitting too, since along with my military officer hero Diane he was the one who was always organizing hunts against freaks and infestations. This level he was the only one doing that too since Diane was sick and then ran away when she was on the verge of death. She managed to survive, somehow, but he was basically the only one leading the charge in keeping the survivors safe on the NPC end of things in the meantime.

His profile even states that he used to record home videos of him pantomiming fighting zombies in his basement, like a true goon. So he went out doing what he loved. I even noticed the number of freaks and zombies in the town dropped sharply after that. Talk about building a funeral pyre. :black101:

Edit: Also, it's clever how zombies are actually persistent. I confirmed this last stage by noting the position of a Big'un surrounded by a bunch of screamers and zombies that Owen was absolutely determined to kill for some reason. I kept sending him back, and I saw it roaming the area several times while passing through. It even tried to ambush one of my characters as I was scavenging.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The Cutting Machine Blade is an edged weapon with 5 durability, for what it's worth.

edit: got the name wrong

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 3, 2013

• Locked thread