Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, pretty serious question, but let me get a bit of story first.

I've recently went to pick a friend of mine up at the airport. While we chatted/skyped/whatever pretty often, I had not met this dude in person for over 2 years after he left to teach in Japan. And when I asked him what was up with him and what stuff he's gonna miss and whatnot, he reveals he got really into manga. He had told me before that some of his students recommended him stuff and such, but it really felt weird when I went to drop him at his parents' house (he and his wife live in the neighboring state which is like a 2-hour drive away from where I live) and it turns out that he had like 5 boxes full of completed manga he had been sending to his old folks in these past months prior to returning.

Now please understand: I grew up with this guy, he's my bro/childhood friend and you couldn't get two people in a room who had more opposite interests when it came to comics and tv. He was into Spawn, Spider-Man and Gen13 while I was into Dragon Ball, Thundercats and Captain Tsubasa SUPER CAMPEONES. We still were bros because when you go to the same school, live in the same neighborhood/residence zone and kick each other's asses on different video games while laughing like morons, poo poo like different tastes in literature and tv shows don't matter; we still read/watched what the other did, though. But I never got him into manga as strongly as he got me into Western Comics (I still have The Killing Joke hardcover book he gave me when I turned 13), so it's really odd to see this grown-rear end 28 year old guy talk about manga like a silly middle-schooler.

The next day, when we began organizing the books he got so we could get them to his actual place, I was checking which books he got, and when I saw this big collection of The Flame of Rekka, he got this big-rear end glint in his eyes. He calls it "The Flame of Motherfucking Recca!" and super-recommended it to me.

Since he has the whole thing (in pretty good state, too) completed and, knowing him, he's probably gonna pester me into reading it, I got to ask you guys 3 questions:
  1. Does it hold well? I saw like 30, if not more, volumes, so I hope it doesn't devolve into a droll snorefest like Bleach or similars did after a while.
  2. How "Shounen" it is?
  3. Despite the question about its level of shounen, does it have anything that would make a dorky adult who's way into Game of Thrones go "Flame of Motherfucking Recca!" :black101:

Hey, if the fights are anywhere near the level of YuYu Hakusho (or Hunter x Hunter), I'm game.
vvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Flame of Recca is shounen as gently caress.

I read the manga back in the day and it's kinda average. It does things that other shounen fighting series do a lot better, and for the first half or so it's basically the poor man's Yu Yu Hakusho but with vaguely ninja-esque stuff instead of demons.

You could certainly do worse, but you could also do a lot better.

e: From the story you gave I'm going to guess that before reading it he had limited experience with the genre. The manga gets rather predictable if you have any familiarity with shounen fighting stuffs but someone new to the genre wouldn't see the obvious tells.

e2: Another problem it has is that the characters just aren't as memorable as those in YYH or HxH. Most of them remain archetypes.

Srice fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 27, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a poor man's Yu Yu Hakusho, basically. But the manga is a better experience than the anime at least. It's been...gently caress, nearly a decade since I read it, but I remember liking it for what it was. I remember thinking Joker was the coolest motherfucker ever, and as I recall so did the author because he stuck him into MÄR as well (which sucked).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Man, MAR was so bad. I thought it was gonna get better after that tournament, sorta like what happened with Flame of Recca after its tournament. But then it ended.

I swear that series was like, at least 75% tournament fights.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As long as it has its badass moments and the fights are a-ok, I won't mind the shounen... levels (shounenhood? shouneness? shounenicity? we should have a term for this).

Yeah, pretty much all of his previous experience with Anime was the stuff a couple of dorky mexican kids could get from TV back then, which is pretty much the standard shounen for the 90's(the 2 aforementioned series, Saint Seiya, Ranma, Magic Knight Rayearth :swoon:, Sailor Moon, Dragon Quest, VERY EARLY Slayers, Slam Dunk). Guess I'll bite the bullet.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I've only seen the anime and it's been over a decade but from what I remember its first 13 episodes were interesting and then it degenerated into the shittiest generic tournament garbage. I remember being incredibly disappointed in the direction it took (possibly because it was the first "tournament-style" anime I had ever seen). My memory is too fuzzy to tell you anything about the quality of the fighting; either I don't remember it because it was all so bland or because I was just disappointed in the direction of the story and no longer invested at all.

I liked Yu Yu Hakusho just fine for what it's worth, and it basically follows the same kind of progression.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Relambrien posted:

Hijacking this question. I've started a friend-group simulwatch of Gankutsuou and we're three episodes in and loving it. None of us have read The Count of Monte Cristo. Is there anything (besides straight up reading the book :v:) I should do to be able to have a better appreciation of the show as I'm watching it?

No, you should be good by itself. You really should read the book though, it's great.

Everyone should watch Gankutsuou, the dub is great. I wish more new anime was like it and less fanservice-highschool-crap.

I recently watched A Certain Scientific Railgun, without any other context from anything in the series. It was enjoyable to watch. The WOOPS PANTIES really gets annoying though, and I'm so glad it mostly dies after episode 13.

Persona 4: The Animation was a good watch too. Other than the Kanji stuff sometimes being... off? for a lack of a better word sometimes, it was really fun to watch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Okay, this is gonna be kind of an unorthodox request. For some fairly e/n reasons that I won't saddle you good motherfuckers with, my friends and I want to get our buddy something really fun and just outright great for Christmas this year.

He loves his anime and, well, anything Japan, really (he's not a weabo, he's a Japanese American who's kind of disconnected from his culture). We tossed around the, y'know, go-to joke gift idea "oh yeah we'll get him one of those love pillows you have to hide when you have company over" or "we'll get him the breasts mousepad except it'll be some chick's asscheeks, yeah yeah that'll be a great twist on what you expect!" but the more we think about it, the less appealing those are starting to seem.

I haven't seriously watched this stuff since high school (though I did put time aside for TTGL recently, that was good poo poo) so I'm kind of at a loss. He watches pretty much fuckin' anything, but I know in particular his favorite is mechas and actiony samurai stuff, and I realized a really great gift would be, like, a love pillow except with a gundam on it; the problem is, those don't exist as far as I can tell.

You guys wanna help a goon out? I'm at a loss here and I'd really appreciate some suggestions from people who know their stuff.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 1, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When it comes to Christmas and good cheer you can't go wrong with the film Tokyo Godfathers.

E: For TV series, Tsuritama was probably the most feel-good series of the past few years. Catchy opening, silly poses, and Xtreme Fishing. It's got it all!

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 1, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

The White Dragon posted:

I realized a really great gift would be, like, a love pillow except with a gundam on it; the problem is, those don't exist as far as I can tell.

Are you kidding? This is the internet. Of course those exist :nws:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

actiony samurai stuff

Sengoku Basara: Yes, Masamune's horse has motorcycle handlebars and exhaust pipe. Also the sparks that come off of their clashing weapons are actually nukes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

For TV series, Tsuritama was probably the most feel-good series of the past few years. Catchy opening, silly poses, and Xtreme Fishing. It's got it all!

It pains me to say this because it is one of my favorite things ever, but do not buy this as a gift, it is a very much a love it or hate it show. Everyone I've shown it to turns it off once they meet Haru, one of the main characters, and he was almost too obnoxious for me to watch it. I mean, what makes the show great is how your feelings about him change as the series goes on (to the point where I really really liked him the second time through) but god that is far too much work to saddle someone with unless you know that this is their kind of poo poo.

As for that dude's friend, you should really consider the Gundam body pillow. Like, anything that's a sure enough bet to recommend he's probably already seen (Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Baccano!). Maybe check to see if he has the recent Gundam Unicorn disks, those are pretty great.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Redcrimson posted:

Are you kidding? This is the internet. Of course those exist :nws:
God drat, I guess I'll show this to my buddy I'm splitting the price with and we'll go from there. You blew my mind with that.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I might also grab Tokyo Godfathers and wrap them together, depends on if there's anything I need from Amazon this month 'cause it's only seven bucks there and I'm not paying shipping that costs twice that :v:

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby
The Hidamari Sketch Graduation OVA is out so everyone should watch it. Unless of course you haven't seen Hidamari Sketch, in which case: what the gently caress, bro?

But seriously, watch it. The OVA even has (Minor spoilers) lesbian blowjobs.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Kaleid Stardust posted:

The Hidamari Sketch Graduation OVA is out so everyone should watch it. Unless of course you haven't seen Hidamari Sketch, in which case: what the gently caress, bro?

But seriously, watch it. The OVA even has (Minor spoilers) lesbian blowjobs.

What fansubs did you watch? It's been a while since I watched anything not released on CR, and I don't know who's good.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Some group called impatience is the only one to sub both episodes so far. They're okay, though either some of the wordplay was extra untranslatable or they just did a bad job with some of it. Nutbladder and deadfish have both done the first episode, but have yet to post the second.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Blhue posted:

Some group called impatience is the only one to sub both episodes so far. They're okay, though either some of the wordplay was extra untranslatable or they just did a bad job with some of it. Nutbladder and deadfish have both done the first episode, but have yet to post the second.

DeadFish just do reencodes so it's just Impatience and Nutbladder. Impatience (aka "&", or at least they submit to nyaa under the same user) are also the only people doing Tesagure (or were) and they're kind of variable so it might well be the latter.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby
Yep, Impatience are just speedsubs, hence the name. Nutbladder's taking a bit, since they've all grown up and have priorities now (how depressing).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
WIDEFACE OVERLOAD

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby
If they bite you, you turn wide.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Why is this being discussed here rather than the Fall or Winter thread?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Back in the 90's anime was pretty unknown here in Denmark, but then got a big push on VHS with titles like Akira, Fist of the North Star, Urotsukidōji and others, and my mind was blown watching them, I had never seen anything like it in a cartoon, me and a friend watched all of them and even imported some others, but there weren't any other official releases so I mostly lost interest after a few years.

I watched some one in a while throughout the years but it was only this year i really started getting back into it, and have tried watching various animes based on suggestions (kotaku.com has a bunch of posts about shows they recommend), but I mostly find myself lasting half an episode before giving up, so I am hoping I can get a few recommendations based on what I know I like.

Shows I like : Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online (the first season), Log Horizon, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

I find that the things i dislike are many of the common anime clichés : Cute pets, small cute anime girls, characters that have long boring inner monologues. The silly/comedy aspects are generally what has made me stop watching the 6-7 animes I have tried recently. So I guess I am looking for a Science Fiction or Fantasy series that is fairly serious, or at least avoids the worst overtly cute things.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Have you tried the links in the OP? The wiki linked there has a rather good "new to anime" page with a bunch of good recommendations by genre, and your post is mostly just "give me good stuff".

If you liked some of those older super violent action anime you mentioned, I would highly recommend the two Devilman OVAs released in the late 80s/early 90s (not the "Amon" OVA though).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Oasx posted:

So I guess I am looking for a Science Fiction or Fantasy series that is fairly serious, or at least avoids the worst overtly cute things.

Have you considered Legend of the Galactic Heroes? :v:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Oasx posted:

I find that the things i dislike are many of the common anime clichés : Cute pets, small cute anime girls, characters that have long boring inner monologues. The silly/comedy aspects are generally what has made me stop watching the 6-7 animes I have tried recently. So I guess I am looking for a Science Fiction or Fantasy series that is fairly serious, or at least avoids the worst overtly cute things.
Time of Eve - excellent and short meditation on the Asimovian 3 laws of robotics.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - The time you waste looking for the ultimate anime would be better spent just watching this. Don't be put off by the length: by the time you're done, you'll wish there was more. It also neatly avoids most anime bullshit.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Oasx posted:

So I guess I am looking for a Science Fiction or Fantasy series that is fairly serious, or at least avoids the worst overtly cute things.

Since the Sci-Fi stuff has already been recommended, I'm reeeeaaaalllly going to suggest you watch Mushi-shi and Moribito ASAP.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Black Stones posted:

Since the Sci-Fi stuff has already been recommended, I'm reeeeaaaalllly going to suggest you watch Mushi-shi and Moribito ASAP.

Throw Kino's Journey on the pile.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Have you tried the links in the OP? The wiki linked there has a rather good "new to anime" page with a bunch of good recommendations by genre, and your post is mostly just "give me good stuff".

Seriously, go do this first. There are dozens of things that could be recommended with just "serious sci-fi/fantasy" as a descriptor (though no moe does throw out more than 50% of all anime, so I guess that does narrow it down a bit).

I'll throw out some immediate sci-fi titles for you though:
-Ghost in the Shell, the whole franchise. There's 3 movies, 2 series, and an ongoing OVA series that go through 3 different versions of the universe, but they are all centered around truly contemplative sci-fi and lots of amazing action and great stories.
-Psycho-Pass is a noir cyber-punk thriller written by Gen Urobuchi. If you stick around, that's a name you'll hear quite a bit, and for good reason.
-I'll second Kino's Journey, as well as Time of EVE.
-Texhnolyze is about an underground dystopian city ruled by a Mafia-like organization. Very bleak and depressing, but the story is fantastic.
-Casshern Sins is similar in tone to Texhnolyze, but is a post-apocalypse tale of a world of robots falling into ruin that follows Casshern, an immortal, amnesiac robot who singlehandedly caused the apocalypse. Also a fantastic story.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oasx posted:

Shows I like :...Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.

quote:

I find that the things i dislike are many of the common anime clichés : Cute pets, small cute anime girls

I sense a contradiction here. :v:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I've watched a little anime over the years, but I'm just now starting to really get into it, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

Mostly I'm interested in comedies, and Cromartie High School is my favorite so far. The comedy section on ADTRWiki mentioned Astro Fighter Sunred, which looks really good, and Azumanga Daioh, which I don't think I can get into. Beyond that, Panty and Stocking and The Devil is a Part-Timer! were great, especially the latter. Anything involving parody or absurd humor is a big hit with me, so is there anything else that might fit in with what I listed here?

The other thing is that I tried watching Spice and Wolf recently and expected to hate it (I took one look at the main character and thought, "Oh christ, it's one of those shows."), but I ended up really liking it. Crest of the Stars is supposed to be similar, but I'm really not into sci-fi, so are there any other shows in that style (fantasy or ancient/medieval setting; slow-paced; very character/dialogue driven, especially if it's focused on one or two people and their interactions)? From what I'm told The Twelve Kingdoms and Mushishi should hit some of those criteria, right?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jabarto posted:

I've watched a little anime over the years, but I'm just now starting to really get into it, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations.

Mostly I'm interested in comedies, and Cromartie High School is my favorite so far. The comedy section on ADTRWiki mentioned Astro Fighter Sunred, which looks really good, and Azumanga Daioh, which I don't think I can get into. Beyond that, Panty and Stocking and The Devil is a Part-Timer! were great, especially the latter. Anything involving parody or absurd humor is a big hit with me, so is there anything else that might fit in with what I listed here?

Try The Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for a show where a character goes through enormous effort and sacrifice to bring some sort of grand plan together, culminating in one moment where they know they've won but nobody else has realized it yet. Tonally I'm thinking less Death Note or Code Geass and more Count of Monte Cristo or Breaking Bad. It could be for revenge, for profit, for good reasons or bad ones, it could be a real triumph or a pyrrhic victory, I don't care as long as it has that general structure.

And to head off the obvious, yeah, I've seen Gankutsuou.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jabarto posted:

Have you tried Nichijou? I guess it kind of depends on why you couldn't get into Azumanga though. If it's the setting and framing, then ignore what I just said; if it's something else, Nichijou has a much more absurd and less character-driven approach to its humor.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Jabarto posted:

Maybe give Humanity has Declined a shot? It definitely has absurdist humour in spades.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a show where a character goes through enormous effort and sacrifice to bring some sort of grand plan together, culminating in one moment where they know they've won but nobody else has realized it yet.

No one every does it on the grand scale that Lelouch, Light, and Dantes do it, but there are a few as cunning as them.

The World God Only Knows infuses evil-genius protagonist with harem. Monster and 20th Century Boys flip the chessboard, putting the protagonist in the thick of the grand plan. Well, a lot of stuff by Naoki Urasawa is like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kaleid Stardust posted:

No one every does it on the grand scale that Lelouch, Light, and Dantes do it, but there are a few as cunning as them.

The World God Only Knows infuses evil-genius protagonist with harem. Monster and 20th Century Boys flip the chessboard, putting the protagonist in the thick of the grand plan. Well, a lot of stuff by Naoki Urasawa is like that.

I can't take harem stories any more, it's just too obnoxious even when they have better points. On the other hand I've heard so much praise heaped on Naoki Urasawa that I might as well get around to reading some of it, so thanks for that.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Jabarto posted:

The other thing is that I tried watching Spice and Wolf recently and expected to hate it (I took one look at the main character and thought, "Oh christ, it's one of those shows."), but I ended up really liking it. Crest of the Stars is supposed to be similar, but I'm really not into sci-fi, so are there any other shows in that style (fantasy or ancient/medieval setting; slow-paced; very character/dialogue driven, especially if it's focused on one or two people and their interactions)? From what I'm told The Twelve Kingdoms and Mushishi should hit some of those criteria, right?

Beelzebub might be up your alley? Don't let the shounen premise put you off from giving it a try, it's first and foremost a gag series. Binbougami-ga might also be worth a look.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jabarto posted:

Squid Girl was rather well received here and gets rather absurd.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a show where a character goes through enormous effort and sacrifice to bring some sort of grand plan together, culminating in one moment where they know they've won but nobody else has realized it yet. Tonally I'm thinking less Death Note or Code Geass and more Count of Monte Cristo or Breaking Bad. It could be for revenge, for profit, for good reasons or bad ones, it could be a real triumph or a pyrrhic victory, I don't care as long as it has that general structure.

And to head off the obvious, yeah, I've seen Gankutsuou.
Have you read Watchmen? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Have you read Watchmen? :v:

Yes, actually.

• Locked thread