Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

zoux posted:

I'm going to watch Fraser next, just 3.5 seasons of Cheers to go.

Get ready for absolute magic friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cheers has been pretty magical. I thought it would be super dated and weird to my modern sensibilities, but it's pretty loving funny. Great characters too, even though I am in the wackier plot years.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

bobkatt013 posted:

Sam visited Frasier in season 2 and he brings that up. Fransier says he just got off the phone with his dad and they had a huge fight.

And in general Frasier and Martin had a very strained relationship before he moved back to Seattle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish I had no backlog of shows so I could marathon Cheers to Frasier because I bet that is a really interesting watch. Maybe I could skip Cheers episodes that don't have Frasier - though that wouldn't really knock that many off, I guess, especially in later seasons.

There's a universe somewhere that god the spinoff "Cliff" instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

I wish I had no backlog of shows so I could marathon Cheers to Frasier because I bet that is a really interesting watch. Maybe I could skip Cheers episodes that don't have Frasier - though that wouldn't really knock that many off, I guess, especially in later seasons.

As someone who only had general cultural awareness of Cheers before I started watching it, there are a lot of surprises. For example, I had no idea about Coach. Fraser starts appearing in season three, but doesn't get into the credits until four, which is the same season Woody shows up. Cliff is one of the background bar guys in season one but becomes a regular in season 2.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

precision posted:

You would miss a lot as Frasier comes into the show as part of the Sam/Diane romance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh that's right - I forgot he didn't really show up until later.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

What's Serangoon Road like? Haven't seen much talk about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh did anyone see the preview for Turn on last's nights (excellent) TWD? It's AMC's new period show about Washington's spy ring during the American Revolution, looks pretty rad. Though it could only ever be the second best show featuring members of Washington's spy ring...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Oh did anyone see the preview for Turn on last's nights (excellent) TWD? It's AMC's new period show about Washington's spy ring during the American Revolution, looks pretty rad. Though it could only ever be the second best show featuring members of Washington's spy ring...

I haven't seen that preview but it's created by Craig Silverstein -- his last show, Nikita, is just wrapping up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

I haven't seen that preview but it's created by Craig Silverstein -- his last show, Nikita, is just wrapping up.

Well, the man knows how to make an action-spy drama, so it could be good.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Anyone here excited for Looking? It has all the makings of being a really good gay drama, especially since it's partially produced by the guy who directed Weekend. If anything, it will be refreshing to have a grounded gay drama without the obnoxious stereotypes and more focused on what it's like to be gay in 2013.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
The Mentalist talk:

I know in the end all will sort itself out in his advantage but Jane got to be the biggest dumbass in history for believing that FBI guy.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Dantes posted:

The Mentalist talk:

I know in the end all will sort itself out in his advantage but Jane got to be the biggest dumbass in history for believing that FBI guy.

And I just love that nobody suffered any ill effects from all of his madness. Everyone turned out absolutely fine; you'd think Cho might have a black mark on his record from participating in all that crap, but nope, he's fine. Everyone's fine.

It struck me as I was watching, that I have absolutely no idea why in the hell Lisbon is so hung up on Jane anymore. He has screwed her over in so many ways, left her professional reputation damaged as all hell, and she sits around drinking wine, reading letters about the awesome vacation he's on. At this point, I no longer understand why she's so attached to him.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Writer Cath posted:

It struck me as I was watching, that I have absolutely no idea why in the hell Lisbon is so hung up on Jane anymore. He has screwed her over in so many ways, left her professional reputation damaged as all hell, and she sits around drinking wine, reading letters about the awesome vacation he's on. At this point, I no longer understand why she's so attached to him.
It's a total mystery to me too. It makes no sense outside of the "Jane is the hero so of course women likes him."

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Writer Cath posted:

The obvious reason is because now that the red john storyline is over and Jane can move past his dead family, Lisbon is going to be his designated love interest and the showmakers want to make it seem like its not coming out of nowhere.

But there's loads of way you can explain it. My guess is that Lisbon doesn't care about all the poo poo he pulled because he caught so many criminals and misses doing that.

Of course the real, true reason she isn't pissed off is because they've done the Lisbon is pissed with Jane storyline so many times that doing it now when the show probably isn't going to get another season is a waste of time.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Through my epic and may I add, heroic, effort to watch all of Cheers, I've noticed that Fraser has said his father was both a scientist and dead. Did they retcon that for the spinoff or were they just like, eh it's a sitcom what kind of worthless nerd would remember a couple of throwaway lines in a couple of episodes?

Just wait until you get to the episode in which John Mahoney shows up as a jingle writer, or the one with Peri Gilpin as a reporter.

tk fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 3, 2013

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MrFlibble posted:

Of course the real, true reason she isn't pissed off is because they've done the Lisbon is pissed with Jane storyline so many times that doing it now when the show probably isn't going to get another season is a waste of time.

Yes, but we're expected to believe she spent two years pining over him. Maybe she's just giving up and going with it now. You'd think she might try... dating a guy or something, anything.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I made it through all of Cheers but got burned out on Frasier mid-season 5. "The Two Mrs. Cranes" is likely one of the funniest episodes of a sitcom ever, though.

Cheers, man, I can't say enough about that show. I started a thread months ago but I'm sure it's in the archives now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dantes posted:

The Mentalist talk:

Everyone knows napkin contracts are legally binding ok. I still think he was a bigger dumbass for not seeing the lady as an FBI plant. But I guess he was lonely and depressed or whatever.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Started season 2 of Spartacus (Vengeance, already seen the prequel).

Holy gently caress Lucretia :stare:.

New Spartacus looks like Dawson from certain angles, it was really weird the first few times.
/edit: Also Ilithyia looks really weird; for some reason I thought it was another actress.

/edit2: VVVVVVVVVVVVVV :stare:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 3, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edmond Dantes posted:

Holy gently caress Lucretia :stare:.

New Spartacus looks like Dawson from certain angles, it was really weird the first few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8H77RJnP8

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Edmond Dantes posted:

Holy gently caress Lucretia :stare:

I so envy you right now. Science needs to hurry and perfect memory deletion like in that Jim Carrey movie I didn't see so I can watch Spartacus fresh every six months.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I just finished season 2 of The Good Wife and it's a really good show, they are especially good at creating fun and quirky side characters to be the judges and opposing lawyers. in my opinion I'm going to avoid the main thread on the show though for fear of spoilers.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
About a season and a half into The Office, wow, how have I not watched this. Also, I kind of feel really bad for Michael, is that bad?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

About a season and a half into The Office, wow, how have I not watched this. Also, I kind of feel really bad for Michael, is that bad?

Yes. As you watch, you'll learn that Michael is a small, contemptuous sociopath who goes out of his way to be a bane to everyone around him. I watched the entire series (well, skimmed the last season) and I never once understood why he was liked.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

soapgish posted:

Yes. As you watch, you'll learn that Michael is a small, contemptuous sociopath who goes out of his way to be a bane to everyone around him. I watched the entire series (well, skimmed the last season) and I never once understood why he was liked.

I mean, the guy is an rear end in a top hat, but I can't help but feel sorry for him, I tend to sympathize a lot with those sorts though for some reason. drat funny show though, it's very dry, just my type of humor.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

I mean, the guy is an rear end in a top hat, but I can't help but feel sorry for him, I tend to sympathize a lot with those sorts though for some reason. drat funny show though, it's very dry, just my type of humor.

Have you seen the original UK series? It's even better, and ends on the perfect note.

(And David Brent is way more sympathetic than Michael Scott.)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, the post-Carrel seasons really drove home how important it was that Michael Scott was someone you could sympathize with even when he was irredeemably horrible. Though they almost made up for it by spending the entire last season owning the gently caress out of Ed Helms' character for being a completely unlikable rear end in a top hat who didn't even have Michael Scott's sympathy or naivete to excuse his utter incompetence.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

thexerox123 posted:

Have you seen the original UK series? It's even better, and ends on the perfect note.

And David Brent is way more sympathetic than Michael Scott.

How much of a difference is there? I watched the first episode but it didn't draw me in as much, the acting seemed worse and just in general the cast of characters didn't feel as instantly perfect as in the US version. What's actually different?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

As impressed as you are now, you're in for a hell of a treat as you move forward. Among the cast as a whole and individually there develops a fantastic chemistry and some ripe, slow-but-earned character development for a lot of the characters.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

soapgish posted:

As impressed as you are now, you're in for a hell of a treat as you move forward. Among the cast as a whole and individually there develops a fantastic chemistry and some ripe, slow-but-earned character development for a lot of the characters.

God, I just loving love a good sitcom. I mean, I enjoy Breaking Bad and all that, but just some nice easily digestible, bite sized, situational comedy really does it for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

edit: wrong thread, move along...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thexerox123 posted:

(And David Brent is way more sympathetic than Michael Scott.)

I do not know. David Brent seems stuck in his job and the highlight of his life was getting them to laugh Michael Scott seemed by the end of the series that he had friends, a wife, kids and is happy with his life. He just seems more rounded. However, this could also be due to the fact I am tired of Ricky Gervais. The first episode of the American was just the British version.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Austrian mook posted:

The problem with Michael Scott is that unless you're a total rear end in a top hat everyone sympathizes with him at some stage because his problems are obviously deeply ingrained and there's a heart underneath. But watching him for 5 or 6 years is basically a test of how far that can go and how much bad poo poo can be excused. The way I tend to describe it to people is that Michael Scott is that one friend or relative you have who you loved once upon a time and still want to, but you got tired of them being a selfish, unrepentant, destructive dick years ago and theres no signs of hope of him changing. And then one day they meet someone they love, get their poo poo together, and you thank God and smile but a lot of that is because you no longer have to deal with their poo poo.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Austrian mook posted:

God, I just loving love a good sitcom. I mean, I enjoy Breaking Bad and all that, but just some nice easily digestible, bite sized, situational comedy really does it for me.

In that case I highly recommend Parks and Recreation. What started off as a sub-par Office clone, has become the best comedy on Television. I didn't say it's the "funniest show", but it reaches character beats and moments that feel very earned. Granted the show is still hilarious, but it hits that emotional button in me from time to time that few shows can hit- all without going into saccharine territory. It's been compared to a modern day/live action Simpsons (some of the same writers) and it's hard to argue that.

Back to the Office- I found Michael Scott gets even MORE sympathetic as the seasons go.

Another quick recommendation: Party Down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aubrey Plaza is always the worst though. That never gets better.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just got caught up to Masters of Sex. Many bastard points were earned :getin: I love how cold Bill Masters is.

But it got me thinking, what with Vic Makey, Tony Soprano, Hannibal, Walter White et al, where is the anti-hero genre going to go? Is it a race to the bottom where in a few years time we'll be exploring the origins and misadventures of a serial rapist or worse (please, no-one go here) a paedophile?

Shades of grey! :shepicide:

And another thing, I'd like to see more female anti-heroes. Off the top of my head I can think of Nurse Jackie, Nancy from Weeds, and I guess Hannah from Girls? Haven't seen Scandal yet but I'm guessing that too. Point is, none of them are as outright unrepentantly evil as some of the male ones, although I can guess how unfriendly the internet manchildren would be to such a character, and by association the actress playing her. I wouldn't blame any actress that wouldn't want to touch the genre with a long pole.

Just remembered Keri Russel in The Americans. She's probably the closest I've seen so far, but I'd really like to see a truly irredeemable one that could give Tony Soprano a run for his money. Bonus points if she doesn't conform to any "attractive" stereotype.

Aphrodite posted:

Now now :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Hey now. We don't need two Irish Joes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

• Locked thread