Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dhamster posted:

Thanks for updating this! How do I put the result on Backloggery? When I ran it, it just gave me a big list of games in a .txt file.

The .bat file, when run, should generate a list of games in a .txt file, and once you're done editing it (i.e. when you close notepad), upload those games to Backloggery.

If it's not doing that, please run it in a terminal (start->run, cmd) and paste the output somewhere.

You can also upload the .txt contents "by hand": java -jar bltool.jar --from text --to backloggery --input games.txt --bl-name <backloggery username> --bl-pass <backloggery password>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

ToxicFrog posted:

The .bat file, when run, should generate a list of games in a .txt file, and once you're done editing it (i.e. when you close notepad), upload those games to Backloggery.

If it's not doing that, please run it in a terminal (start->run, cmd) and paste the output somewhere.

You can also upload the .txt contents "by hand": java -jar bltool.jar --from text --to backloggery --input games.txt --bl-name <backloggery username> --bl-pass <backloggery password>

Thanks! With the generated .txt file, the 'by hand' upload worked like a charm.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Beaten: Skyrim - Dragonborn - Was going to bitch about the final fight being broken, but turns out it was one of my mods that broke it. Once I deactivated it (The Unofficial Skyrim Patch), the fight went smoothly. The DLC felt unpolished at times (mostly just effects in the book realm, as well as the dragon-riding), and I wish it hadn't been set in yet another snowy location, but over-all I enjoyed it.

Now I intend to burn through a bunch of games that I've installed and started but haven't finished, starting with a couple of adventure games: Wallace & Gromit (I'm on the second one right now), and *cough* Jack Keane 2.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - The Binding of Isaac: I think this is the 3rd time that I've said I "beat" this game. But I just completed the Chest, so I have seen all the endings in the game. I love this game so much, though, so I'm going to try for the 34 achievements I'm missing yet.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
The Stanley Parable (Steam) - Completed: :siren: :siren: :siren: Huh. :siren: :siren: :siren:

Saints Row 4 (Steam) - Completed: Just make a loving super-villian comic game already. SR4 is all awesome all day but there's a lot of leftover ballast from the GTA-clone era, like purchasable shops and cars. I'm also not too hot about the whole side-mission thing where you're basically going through all the minigames like some kind of todo-list of houshold chores. Other than that I was really impressed with the gameplay and the genuinely funny story.

Two Worlds II (Steam) - Nulled: It's slow, hard and kinda dull. Can't really get into it. Maybe another time.

Gunpoint (Steam) - Beat: I didn't expect it to be this much of a puzzle game. A litte underwhelmed to be honest. There's not many different objects to interact with so the novelty wears off quickly and then the game ends. I don't even know. The writing was witty at least.

Currently playing:
Tropico 4 (Steam)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Stanley Parable is definitely on my list to pick up during the next sale, I loved the original free mod and this full game looks like just my thing.

After being disappointed by Amnesia: Machine for Pigs and finishing Outlast, which was much more fun, I was in the mood for more ambient adventure/survival horror games so I finally played Penumbra: Overture, having bought it in the Penumbra pack years ago. I liked this much more than I expected to, it's really more of an adventure game than I'd thought it would be, and there is a ton of flavor text and interactive things to poke around in, which I love. It's cool to see the genesis of what would eventually become Amnesia, with all the mistakes they learned from and great ideas that were improved upon. I didn't even hate the combat and boring repeating tunnel sections too much, although that's probably because I put it on Easy and just beat all those obnoxious dogs to death with a pickaxe, then breezed through the maze-y parts as fast as I was able to figure them out.

I went right into Penumbra: Black Plague after that and I like this even more.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Overture and Black Plague are great but don't expect anything out of Requiem. It's not a "real" Penumbra game as there's no story, just a series of puzzle rooms.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Overture and Black Plague are great but don't expect anything out of Requiem. It's not a "real" Penumbra game as there's no story, just a series of puzzle rooms.
Thanks for the heads up, that explains why it took only about 5 seconds to download. Looks like I'll be nulling that when I'm done with Black Plague.

I'm glad I didn't skip Overture though, I'd heard mixed things, but in addition to being pretty good, there are a lot of things in the story carried over directly into Black Plague.

TypeAskee
Jul 21, 2012
Beat: Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit was a pretty fun game. I loved the graphical style and the soundtrack was fun to listen to. The monster mechanics were pretty neat and there were enough of the little killing minigames that they didn't' get old by the end. Also, I like games that expressly tell you how far you have to go. From the very beginning, they said that they were going to be killing 100 monsters, and sure enough, we went through 100. I like knowing how far I am from the end of the game. So that was pretty neat. The platforming sections were awful, in my opinion, but I hate it when you stop holding the button and you're still gliding along the screen (Super Mario Bros 1 style), especially when you end up in spike pits.

Good times though, and it's the first game that I actually 100%'ed in quite a while! So that was a neat achievement for the year.

I also nulled a whole bunch of random stuff, just not interested in playing so many of those things. The Tropico games I'm over... just couldn't' get into them, even though I tried both Tropico 3 and 4. Also, several other titles... also was dinking around with the Simcity 4... but I'm not sure that I can really get into that overall either.

My next game, I'm pretty sure, will be Fable: The Lost Chapters... heard good things about the game and I want to give it some time!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Face Noir: This is a pretty decent adventure game. The production is very much low-fi, as evidenced primarily in the animation, but in terms of gameplay it's fine. The puzzles are generally good (though the quality of hints varies) and it comes with the modern convenience of showing you all hotspots when hitting space. The story's okay but only half complete, apparently they're working on the sequel. My only concern with that is that it seemed like it might veer into mystical/paranormal territory which would be at odds with the noir setting and not particularly welcome, but we'll see. If you got this in the Groupees bundle and like adventure games I think it's worth playing. Just don't expect a masterpiece or anything.

Shelter: You play a mother badger who has to feed her cubs and keep them safe from predators and environmental dangers through several levels. The art is really pretty and it's a challenging journey for sure. I lost all of them by the fourth level or so. :( It's a nice, short game. That said, I am 99% sure badgers do not hunt foxes in the wild, nor do they often go out in broad daylight to begin with. But well.

They Bleed Pixels: This was great. The platforming is the kind that I like (precise and kind of brutal), and the brawling was fun. Mauling and kicking enemies into spikes, saws and other hazards to watch your combo shoot up was really fun. That said, I think there could have been room for greater enemy variety, and the squidy things were a nightmare. Not only are they quick, flying enemies (the worst kind in probably any genre), but once they go into their attack animation they are completely unstoppable. You cannot duck underneath them. You cannot block them (which you can do against the sword imps, for example). You cannot time an attack of your own to kill them before they hit you. You can only jump out of the way. Any one of those three options would've made them infinitely more tolerable, but having none really sucked.

I am also not entirely convinced by the checkpoint system, where you have to fill up your combo meter up all the way to generate a checkpoint. I think I would've prefered set checkpoints to be honest. At the bare minimum, you should have had to hit a key to generate a checkpoint rather than just stay immobile - as it is, you often end up taking a breather between difficult sections and accidentally create a checkpoint where you didn't intend to. Since death is very frequent in this game, even placing a checkpoint a mere two seconds away from a more ideal location can add needless irritation.

Overall, though, it's an awesome game.

Deponia: Another Daedalic game, and they're 3/3 now in my book. The art is beautiful and the puzzles are good, creative and make sense (in adventure game logic). There was one puzzle where I thought the dialogue hint was bad and misleading, and a result I got stuck for a day or two, but aside from that the game does a good job with that kind of thing. The dialogue is funny (and the translation seemed fine to me despite having read some complaints), and although Rufus is undoubtedly unlikable I didn't find him particularly offensive. I did not at all like the portrayal of Lotti, the transgendered desk clerk at the assembly hall. I think that was a real misstep and kind of a blemish on an otherwise super solid experience. I also can't decide if naming the love/lust interest 'Goal' is clever or stupid. I did like her as a character once she wakes up, though it was very odd that she so readily trusted Rufus and his story, particularly the bit about her fiancé. I have high hopes for the sequels.

Dead Space 2: Like many action-game sequels, this was entirely unnecessary. The plot is nonexistent, the antagonist underdeveloped and perhaps it's just my imagination, but I got the feeling there were fewer text and audio logs than in the original. However, the gameplay is mostly unchanged, though Isaac seems to control a bit faster and less tanky, and it's still just as good. Not really much to say. I liked the new environments, particularly the Unitologist temple, and fortunately there were less crate-moving puzzles and regenerating enemies this time around. On the whole it seemed a lot easier than the first game, too, and I'm sure it didn't help that all the DLC suits and weapons were unlocked from the start for some reason, and cost exactly 0 credits to boot. I was not impressed by the 'prank' at the end. If you roll the credits I'm going to sit back and relax, so having to play through another segment, as short and easy as it was, is not what I wanted. Very minor complaint, though, so on the whole if you liked the first you're likely to like this one too.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 18, 2013

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Working through my "Unfinished" category.

Beat Recettear. First time I played this, I lost hopelessly after the second week. This time, I stuck to a few simple rules: buy blue, sell red, don't bother with the dungeon after the first week, and most importantly, always sell at 105%. The last rule was counter-intuitive at first, but it really payed off in the long run. By the third week, my faithful customers were buying my most expensive stuff without batting an eye, and I ended up reaching the final payment goal with a couple of days to spare. It's not a terribly deep game, and not everything works (mostly the dungeon, which is just a chore), but the base gameplay is fun, and it's a genuinely charming little game.

Beat Greed Corp. The concept sounds good on paper - turn-based strategy game where you make money by destroying the land you're on - but it turns out to be fundamentally flawed. After a couple of missions, it becomes clear that each and every game ends with all surviving parties stranded on their own little islands. The start of each map is usually pretty interesting, but after three or four rounds, every player has mined so much that only a few islands remain, and the rest of the game (which takes far longer than the initial phase) consists of the same actions each and every time: Save up for transporters, transport to enemy island, build a harvester, rinse and repeat. The AI isn't particularly good at this strategy, which means that, once you've made it through the initial skirmish and you've secured two or three islands, you're left with the easy but time consuming task of clearing each enemy island one by one. If they had tweaked the concept so that the first phase was longer and the second phase a lot shorter, it could've been great.

Currently playing: Miasmata. When it works, it really, really works for me, but when it doesn't, well, it's probably because that loving monster ruined my poo poo again.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Completed: Bad Rats
If there was any doubt about this, Bad Rats is a bad game. The physics are somewhat random, and sometimes the ball rolls off in the third dimension which you have no control over. :wtc: The subject is just really crude too - trigger various machines to kill a cartoon cat, often spraying blood over the entire level.
All the text obviously being written by non-native English speakers is just a parenthesis. It's quite possible to make good games with a questionable grasp of English.
I had a save lying around since I wanted to be a Bad Rats King. It's finished now. Forever.

Completed: Vessel
Is it just me or is the main character really callous about the lives of the fluoros (semi-sentinent liquid creatures)? The same fluoros he constantly marvels about in the in-game journal? Anyway, fun physics game if, like me, you're darkly amused by mixing up random fluoros. That end sure came out of nowhere though. I've been getting liquids for this machine all game while saving industries from rampant fluoros, and now I'm jumping into the middle of it and turning into a god? No real build-up.
Finished. Don't think I'll bother with the missing achievements.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Null: Arcadia Beat Hazard does this better in every way.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Beat: Orcs Must Die 2. Good game, you should play it. I played it as the lady since I'd already played through the original.

Beat: Grand Theft Auto IV. The release of V and the fact that it has GFWL and thus may stop working next year compelled me to install this one and give it a shot, and I ended up liking it a lot more than I expected and stayed with it all the way to the end. Took me 29 hours, which is right on the average completion time on howlongtobeat.com, so I didn't do too bad (I'm bad at games and usually take way longer to complete them than most people).

On the plus side, I really did get into the story and enjoyed the writing and cutscenes immensely. The voice acting is absolutely top notch and so is the animation. The devs really did a great job with that part of the game. Also I genuinely liked and enjoyed the characters, although I never did any of the annoying social minigames like bowling or darts. In fact I stopped doing side missions altogether once I hit 10 hours or so. Another plus: the soundtrack, as with all GTA games, is fantastic.

On the minus side, so, so many things. For starters it's about 10 hours too long. The city is too big and empty and the driving frankly is not very good. 90% of the missions are "go here and kill somebody." The cover system is clunky and bad. The lack of in-mission saves is INCREDIBLY frustrating since so many missions start with "drive all the way to the other side of the city". Even though you can fast travel via taxi to the start of a mission, at least half of missions involve you actually driving somewhere, which is fine the first time you do it, but if you blow yourself up with an RPG or something to have to do that entire drive over again can be really annoying. Also there was a bug in the very last mission where I couldn't get in Little Jacob's helicopter no matter how many times or how fast I hit the space bar, apparently this is a known bug if your frame rate is too high and having to re-do that (very long) mission several times just to get 10 minutes into it and fail that stupid QTE because of a bug drove me absolutely insane, so I ended up just watching the last 8 minutes of the game on youtube.

That said it's a real testament to the writing, voice acting, and direction in that game that I stuck with it all the way through and truly enjoyed the experience despite all the problems.

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 22, 2013

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Beat: Driver San Francisco.
Game Time: 18:00

What a pleasant surprise! I'd pretty much written the Driver series off at this point until this game kept popping up in threads like PYF Little Things in Games. The driving is fun and reminds me of Test Drive Unlimited with its little side quests and missions but the shifting mechanic really puts this above and beyond. It works so well. How do you let the player take any car in the game without adding below-par on-foot sections that plagued previous versions? Well obviously you manufacture a plot where you can go out of body and possess people! So that solves that problem, lets the player cover long distances painlesly and adds the potential for new modes such as Armored Van Defence, Team Races and taking down a group of street racers singlehandedly.

The cars handle well, it's arcadey but it's solid and consistent. The difficulty curve was perfect, it kept challenging me without being too frustrating. The most annoying bits were the last stunt dares.

The plot is obviously an excuse for the ludicrous shift mechanic but it's surprisingly not that bad. I liked Tanner and Jones and thought the plot was well written and kept me interested. Graphically it's not the best looking game in the world but it's functional, there are some lovely views of San Francisco and the switches from CGI to the game engine and back again actually worked well for once.

My biggest criticism is the terrible wheel support, my Logitech Driving Force GT didn't work properly no matter what I did to tweak it. That and the fact that you lose your progress if you view replays. Probably a result of the miniscule RAM available on console but still an annoyance. I got so many good screenshots of me wiping out in the DiRT and GRiD games but Driver doesn't work the same way sadly.

Back-Burner: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Gold
Played so far: 20 hours

This is fun. I don't have any interest at all in hiring other drivers and building an empire so I've been driving around, upgrading my truck and improving my skill level.
With Spotify radio on, it's seriously relaxing cruising around Europe listening to new music and I've discovered a few artists I hadn't heard of so that's a bonus. It's not a game that can really be completed in one go, though, there's no real challenge, it's not hard to drive a few hundred miles without taking lots of damage and with the speed limiter off, even the urgent jobs don't pose a challenge.
Some modders have done a fantastic job with this, though. The game plus the expansion includes Great Britain, some of France, the low countries, Germany, some of Northern Italy and a number of Eastern European countries as far East as Lodz in Poland, I think. The Trucksim map not only adds extra cities such as Aberdeen and Essen in existing areas but expands France and Italy and adds new countries such as Portugal, (southern) Spain, Greece and a lot of Northern Africa, from Casablanca to Cairo. I've only explored a tiny 5% of this new map and I really hope that they expand this further, western Russia, Norway and Iceland would be amazing. The new areas are really distinct and interesting, a trip from Tunis to somewhere else in Tunisia took me over huge bridges, up huge hills at 10mph (and back down at 110mph at one point) and it had a unique style in the cities. How far it goes really depends on how long until the developers want to move onto Euro Truck Simulator 3.

I'm happy with my backlog at the moment, there's nothing I really want to play in it unless I really get the urge so I'm messing around on The Sims 3. I have the Ambitions and Late Night expansions and might pick another up if I get back into my save properly. I've decided not to touch the Sims 4 until they announce the Sims 5 so I can pick up the Sims 4 and the good expansions for a non-extortionate price. They're starting to feel less like expansions and more like they're releasing the game in drips and drabs and I have no doubt that a fully upgraded and patched Sims 3 will be more fun than Sims 4 until there's more than a couple of expansions out. Vanilla Sims 3 was really quite boring for me but I've got into it a lot with the expansions.

Bought: Football Manager 2014. My new Laptop Game for the forseeable future. It needs patching but I've still made it through 18 months, being sacked twice (once due to impossible demands and the club's league performance tanked when I left, once because there was no league below the one I was relegated from, the board expected to the club to go down and were happy with the fight I put up, taking it to the final day. Now I'm in the Portuguese National League hoping to make a bigger name for myself.

I would like to play Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and maybe Papers, Please but I'll hold out for a sale. Isn't it what Americans call Black Friday soon? Nailed on to be a Steam sale.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Beat: Jade Empire - finally picked this up from GOG last week on sale. It's a pretty good game - the different "forms" make combat very interesting though some (Jade Golem) are serious game breakers. I do like the game being somewhat generous with skill points so you could experiment with a few at least, instead of finding yourself with useless skills and unable to proceed. I started out intending to go Closed Fist, until I realized that this being Bioware you still had to burn down the puppy orphanage for the insurance money, and ended up going Open Palm. Also found that the Silk Fox romance was closed off to me for some reason, and ended up going with the :swoon: Cam Clarke :swoon: romance instead. Forgot how fun the old puzzles were in Bioware games, before it all became button mashing. Did almost all the sidequests but screw the shmup minigame.

Backburner: Max Payne 3 - Max's sarcastic wisecracks and overbearing pessimism make him my personal idol, but man this game gets tedious in the middle. I ran through the favela, quit to play Marlow Briggs, started on the graveyard level, then went and played Jade Empire. The nonstop bloodbath gets to be a bit too much. My guess is that I'll watch an LP at some point and clear off the hard drive space. Too bad for a game which started off incredibly strong.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
Beat: Dead Space

I always meant to pick up this game on 360 but kept forgetting. Loved the atmosphere; every moment was genuinely tense even once I had gotten used to where most of the jump scares came from. I'm not usually a fan of horror games (not that it is strictly one) but I enjoyed the hell out of it. The last level was kind of tedious though and the final boss fight was very disappointing. I keep hearing mixed opinions of Dead Space 2 but I'll probably grab it during a sale some time in the future.

Beat: Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines

I played this with the unofficial patch. Really solid Action/RPG that I remember trying to play back in the day but it was way too buggy. Melee combat felt a bit wonky until I realised I was an idiot and should just use Fortitude/Presence constantly. Definitely going to keep a copy installed to revisit some time to check out a different game play style/faction choice.

On-going: Waveform

Not sure if I will ever "beat" this game; I figured out it's going to take 650 stars to unlock all the levels and I'm at the point where I have to grind the same levels over and over to hopefully get enough of a score increase to get stars. I love the concept and the gameplay is challenging and fun, but I think this is the kind of game aimed at people who will obsessively play and try to master it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Knytt Underground: I loved this. I find myself wanting to play relaxing games more often and this hits the mark, although there is an occasional difficulty spike on some platforming sections, but nothing too bad. The world is enormous and beautiful and the music is lovely, so just exploring is a real joy. There is quite a bit of backtracking so some people might get annoyed but I didn't mind because traversal is fun. There are also a boatload of secrets to discover, and proper achievements (i.e. not stuff you get for just advancing the story - I finished the game and am sitting at 0/20 achievements). I really strongly recommend this if you've liked any of Nifflas' similar games in the past. The only niggle is that the resolution is pretty low. I wish it was properly HD.

Mini Motor Racing EVO: There are a lot of issues with this game. For me the biggest problem was that once you pick a car and upgrade it, you're essentially stuck with it for the rest of the campaign. Upgrades cost money, which you earn by winning races. But the price goes up very quickly and you can't refund them, so if you find that your upgraded vehicle in which you've sunk thousands of dollars isn't cutting it for a more difficult race, you can't even try a different car, because all the others are still un-upgraded and will perform even worse. You'd have to grind for cash to get it up to speed first. I feel like this really limits the amount of tinkering you can do. Aside from that, the campaign is way too long and there are not enough tracks. The game tries to mix it up by doing some races at night, or the same track but in reverse, and even by shifting the camera angle, but it's just not enough. There is only one pickup (boost) so tactics are limited, and races are often won right at the beginning if you manage to avoid the massive pile-up. If you're ahead you will rarely be caught, and if you're behind you will rarely catch up. There just isn't that much to this game unfortunately. It's decent fun in small doses, though.

I'm currently trying to play Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages but I just can't get a handle on the controls at all. I've messed around with it a bunch since it does provide a lot of options, but I just can't get into it, the ship feels unresponsive, turning is slow and cumbersome and I keep slamming into stuff floating in space. I know it's supposed to get better once you can upgrade and equip your ship and the game opens up, but I don't know if I'll get that far (though admittedly I could skip the intro/tutorial, but I hate feeling like I've missed stuff). I kind of just want to play Escape Velocity instead to be honest.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Nulled: Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures - Putting this on the back-burner indefinitely. I finished the first two episodes and started the third, but honestly this game is boring me. I'm a fan of the W&G claymation shorts, but the game just isn't drawing me in at all. I think I'm just not a fan of point-and-click adventure games. The only one I've actually played and completed was the Homestar Runner one, which managed to keep the humor of the original toons. W&G isn't quite as successful at recreating the charm of the shorts, in my opinion. Plus there seems to be a formula to the puzzles/mysteries (always seem to come in groups of threes), and it's getting repetitive and boring. So, nulled.

Speaking of adventure games...

Back-burner: Jack Keane 2 - I bought the drat thing, I want to finish it! But, again, don't have a lot of interest in it (and last time I played I got a crash to desktop randomly), although the crappy voice-acting & graphics and piss-easy puzzles provides some unintentional entertainment. Haven't actually put this in my Backloggery yet, so not 'nulled' but no longer playing it and don't plan to for a while.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights 2 (original campaign) - I've gotten pretty far on this a while back with a fighter/weapon-master, but right now I'm mostly just creating new characters in different classes and dicking around with them. Hopefully, I'll find a class I enjoy more than the others. If not, the fighter is good enough for me.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Borderlands 2 and the first three DLCs. Honestly, at this point I'm kind of numb to it. I need a better hook to keep playing than "numbers go up", and while Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage did a good job of being hilariously over-the-top and making fun of itself, those things it is making fun of are still totally flaws, guys. With the Sir Hammerlock DLC, it felt like the writers were sick of all this too and had the characters share this weariness.

IN PROGRESS: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. Well, it's nice that Gearbox officially gives no fucks anymore, but the core gag here is one that I happen to like. It did not, however, escape my attention in the setup that the nominal main characters of BL2 are off in another room beating the poo poo out of tangentially-related dudes while the story itself revolves almost entirely around the BL1 cast, and that this is exactly like the main storyline. I'm not very far into this yet, because it's doing a technique I know I like (suddenly changing stuff retroactively as the narrator flounders around) but I'm not in the right headspace for it just now and this is something I'd like to actually enjoy rather than slog through. Hopefully this time I won't be putting it on hold for nearly 6 months. Again.

IN PROGRESS: Stealth Bastard Deluxe. Picked this up again but I'm starting to slow down. It still seems like a really tightly designed game, though, and it runs incredibly well even on my laptop.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Completed: Mass Effect 3 (again)

I played this twice when it first came out and now I'm revisiting it with all the DLC and the new ending. New ending is certainly better, not really anything to write home about but it's not 'GAME OVER BUY DLC' either so it's an improvement. Certainly seemed to flow better though the Normandy showing up to take away my squadmates while a Reaper was bombarding the entire area was really pretty wonky. Omega and Leviathan fit in well with the main narrative and pacing, Citadel was goofy rear end fan service but it made laugh out loud a few times and that's always welcome. All the extra weapons also add a lot to a second/third/etc. playthrough. I had written off Bioware after Dragon Age 2 but I have to be fair to them that the finished Mass Effect 3 game is pretty good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Spec Ops: The Line. I was told that this was an excellent deconstruction of the patriotic grey-brown manshoots genre, and so it was. I stuck with it to the bitter end - and bitter it was - and it was worth the ride.

That said, the game is still mechanically a grey-brown manshoots game for consoles, which means poo poo weapons, enemies, levels, and controls. It is a testament to the strength of the game's writing that I actually finished it.

Beaten: Serious Sam 3: Before First Encounter. This game has some serious flaws that, in another time, might have made it hard for me to enjoy it. However, it has been so long since I played a proper FPS - a game with weapon and enemy variety beyond "we have rifles and shotguns!", a game where you can carry an entire arsenal, a game with fast movement and a jump key - and so long since I've played an AAA game that was actually developed for PC, rather than developed for 360 and then lazily ported to PC by someone who has never used a mouse, that I found myself in an extremely forgiving mood that only started to wear off once I was two thirds of the way through the final level. And any objections I had to the final level being way the gently caress too long melted away once I reached the final boss and got a jetpack. SS3 was a breath of fresh air after a long run of shooters that I didn't really like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ToxicFrog posted:

Beaten: Serious Sam 3: Before First Encounter.
That basically sums up my feelings about it, too. A little tedious, not exactly innovative, basically the SS:FE HD again. But, as a guy who occasionally boots up DOOM and CHEXQUEST, it's just so drat nice to have a run-and-gun FPS be AAA again, that I found it really, really hard to dislike the game. The game's a blast in short bursts, which is just how it should be.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beaten: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. drat nice game that goes some crazy place I wasn't even close to expecting. Looks great, fantastic narrative and just overall charming as hell. I kind of wish there was more "game" to it but I'm still super glad I experienced it.

Also played Papers, Please. Really like it but man it's tough to play when you're involved in other tedious things in real life. :saddowns:

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Hello, Goons. I may have posted here once a while back.

Beat The Walking Dead: Season 1: I got this about a year ago, during some Black Friday sales on XBLA. It really doesn't feel like a whole year has passed, it's ridiculous. It makes me feel bad for spending money and then not playing it for so long, but I feel even worse because god drat this was a fantastic experience. I've seen Kenny get a lot of hate in what little I've glanced through the thread, but he came out my third favorite character, behind Lee and Clem (I can't pick between them for a favorite). Seriously contemplating the 400 Days DLC.

Playing Forza Horizon: Open-world arcadey racing game? Yes please. This one is...also one I got for Black Friday last year...yeah. It's great. I'm sure there's some kind of light story with this game, but I just play custom soundtracks over most of the game SFX so I haven't really caught a word of it. Slapping some Daytona USA, OutRun, and Metropolis Street Racer music over this game makes it more fun than it has any right to be. I just got the Gold wristband earlier, might try and get all the offline Achievements for this game.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

MykonosFan posted:

Hello, Goons. I may have posted here once a while back.

Beat The Walking Dead: Season 1: I got this about a year ago, during some Black Friday sales on XBLA. It really doesn't feel like a whole year has passed, it's ridiculous. It makes me feel bad for spending money and then not playing it for so long, but I feel even worse because god drat this was a fantastic experience. I've seen Kenny get a lot of hate in what little I've glanced through the thread, but he came out my third favorite character, behind Lee and Clem (I can't pick between them for a favorite). Seriously contemplating the 400 Days DLC.
Good news, Season 2 will be out soon*! Although it's not going to be on sale for a while.

You can get 400 days for $2.50 on Steam right now, but you'll need the base game on Steam too, if you only have it on console. It's pretty good, but it's mostly just a quick intermission (about 1 1/2 hours if you take your time) between Season 1 and 2. It's a bunch of short stories about these different characters essentially, there is no long term character development, so don't expect any really heavy scenes like in Season 1. The writing and voice acting are up to their standards though, and the characters are mostly really good. I'd say it's well worth it if you buy it on sale.

Also, Kenny Lives.

*In Telltale time, which is a lot like Valve time, only maybe not quite as long.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also, Kenny Lives.
I was one of apparently about six people who decided to help Kenny put Larry down on my first playthrough, so I never understood how people could hate him so much until I played through a second time.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Sengoku. This game is incredibly boring, with nothing to do but conquer land. It is often described as a beta test for Crusader Kings II; it's not. The character mechanics are too insubstantial for it to be that.

COMPLETED: Papers Please. I loved this so much, I put in the time needed to get all the achievements. It really shouldn't be as absorbing as it is; a paperwork simulator? If you had described a game like that before I played PP, I would have laughed at you. Glory to Arstotzka.

COMPLETED: Knights of Pen and Paper +1. It's a fun and relatively uncomplicated dungeon crawler RPG. That said: the combat is extremely repetitive, and that's pretty much the entire game. If you're not hooked in the first 10-20 minutes or so, you never will be.

BEATEN: Portal I. Yeah, it took me a while to get around to this one. Everyone here knows about Portal already, and yes, it is as good as everyone says.

COMPLETED: XCOM Enemy Unknown. This is the best game I've played in years. What really stands out is that when a mission goes horribly wrong, it doesn't feel like an arbitrary "gently caress you" from random chance. No, when things go wrong it's usually my fault; I foolishly assumed low cover would be good enough, or I spent my turn killing the Mutons when I should have targeted the Chryssalids.

COMPLETED: XCOM Enemy Unknown: Slingshot. I actually liked this DLC pack, as it offers an early chance to get your hands on some late-game equipment. The missions are somewhat harder than normal though, especially if you try to get a few captures along the way.

COMPLETED: The Stanley Parable. Like others have said, words can't quite describe it and you really should play this yourself. It's worth the time and money. My favourite endings were Confusion and Mariella.

BEATEN: Torchlight I. It's Diablo I all over again. This is one of those games that sucks you in and keeps you playing even when you're not actually enjoying it much. I did have fun with it, and I'll definitely reinstall it for another go sometime.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty II. This one wasn't as much fun as CoD I, or even UO. It seems like the series is already getting stale, I hope CoD IV is better.

Next, I really really want to play Enemy Within, but I've heard it has some major bugs, so I'll wait for the first patch. Guess I better get on with my playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy before EA shuts the servers off permanently.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Beaten (Kinda): The Stanley Parable - Haven't seen all of the endings yet, but I think I've gotten enough of them that I can count this as Beaten. A bit over-priced, even on sale, but it's very entertaining. It reminds me of those old "choose your own adventure" books.

In Progress: BioShock Infinite - I'm about 2 hours in, and I'm not really enjoying this one so far, especially compared to 1 and 2. The setting isn't as interesting, in my opinion, and the weapons and powers are pretty much just the same old stuff so far. The enemies suck, basically just a bunch of cops so far (and one teleporting bullet-sponge). I'm hoping at some point the game addresses me going around murdering what appears to be a bunch of misguided law enforcement officers (as opposed to the blood-thirsty maniacs from the previous games). The sky-hooks feel like a half-assed version of the grappling hook from the Batman Arkham games. The sky-rails are visually pretty cool, but otherwise don't add much.

And holy poo poo, this game is so linear. The previous games were a bit linear, too, but the levels reminded me of the original Doom games, where you had to actually explore to find what you need to move on. Here, it's go from point A to point B to point C, and so on, with occasional dead-end rooms/areas off to the side. Don't know how an open city in the air can be more linear than a contained underwater city, but they somehow managed it.

Plus it took over 45 minutes just to get to the action. World-building is nice and all, but that is just excessive, especially for a shooter. I also have no idea what my character's goal/purpose is (other than "find the girl"), though maybe I just missed something.

Also, I had to disable the Steam overlay because a notification would pop up every minute or so showing my progress on the various achievements ("You killed 5 enemies with a pistol! You picked up 40 coins!"). That got real annoying, real fast. I probably let it color my opinion of the game a bit too much, but still, I'm trying to enjoy the game but am having a tough time of it. I'll give it another 30 minutes or so of play-time, and if it doesn't get better, I'm moving on.

Edit: Ok, I've "rescued the girl", and the game has picked up quite a bit. On the minus side, I've learned that you can only have two guns in your inventory at a time, but holy crap, an escort mission where the person being escorted is actually useful! The girl hands out ammo, health, and salt in the middle of fire-fights, the enemies don't target her, and she provides dialogue/backstory during downtime. And the sky-rails were actually really fun during one section where I was under attack from enemies on two gunships! I'm about 3 hours in now, so I think I'll stick with it a while longer.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 4, 2013

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Beaten - Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Game Time: 16 hours
Real Life Time: 11 days

So much loving fun! I loved it! It's a brilliantly done arcade street racer with a Burnout feel running right through it. The cars and the world look incredible, the handling is ridiculous but consistent and tight (I can even drift with confidence, which is a first). I golded everything as it would be piss-easy to get a medal in everything. I enjoyed the cop events and time trials the most as there is a lot of rubberbanding in races. It's not too bad if you consider the race a fight for places than a test of speed but it is there. Had too much fun to care. Nailing a particularly slippery racer with a spike strip or dodging a roadblock as you round a corner at 200mph are fantastic experiences and while I do prefer sims, I'd hugely recommend this game.

I couldn't not have a backlog so Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches, Papers, Please, :darksouls: :ohdear: and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs :ohdear: :ohdear: all found their way into my library over the sale.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 4, 2013

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Beat: Shelter
Cute game. Thanks to Lonely Rolling Star for giving me this!

Beat: Metro: Last Light
I did not enjoy 2033 very much at all, but Metro: LL was pretty good.

Beat: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Got a 3DS recently and this is easily my GoTY. :3:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Beaten: BioShock Infinite - What the gently caress was that? Just when I was beginning to actually enjoy the game, the story takes all sorts of nonsensical twists and turns, and in the end I have no idea what the gently caress any of it means. I guess the game writers thought confusing = quality or something. Early on, I was thinking it would have made a better movie than a game, but in the end, it would have been a lovely mess of a movie. And the half-assed attempt at tying it in to the other games towards the end was lame as all get-out. It's a good-looking game, I'll give it that, and actually pretty fun once you get past the first couple of hours, but man, what were the creators' smoking?

Gonna go through my backlog and find another shooter WITHOUT any real story to burn through real quick. What a mess.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I was really getting into the idea of leading a revolution on a flying racist fortress until they hosed it up. A missed opportunity, I really would have enjoyed a game with more focus on the actual events in Columbia.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Borderland 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. Despite literally being an NPC's Dungeons and Dragons game, played by other NPCs, while the real PCs are downstairs beating the poo poo out of some random dude, this DLC has more to do with the main plot of the game than any of the others. Some of this is because, involving NPCs entirely as it does, they are permitted to be emotionally effected by the events of the plot. :siren: IMPORTANT ANTI-SPOILER: This is is post-game content. If you have this on your backlog do not visit the Unassuming Docks until after you have beaten the main game because the intro cinematic spoils the poo poo out of important plot events in the main game. :siren:

Pretty much done with BL2 now.

The Fall Sale had a bunch of short games I had wishlisted on sale, so I picked them up and played most of them.

NEW GAME/BEATEN: The Stanley Parable. I can tell when I'm being trolled. I can also tell when I'm being trolled by a goddamned master. :getin: Playing on my own, I found nine endings. Checking mild spoilers led me to three more, including the utterly brilliant Real Person ending. Checking more detailed spoilers after that, it seems the main thing I missed was an ending that involves standing in one place pushing buttons for four hours, with some anti-automation bullshit thrown in after two. I find it hilarious that this is actually possible and handled. To Hell with actually doing it, though.

NEW GAME/BEATEN: Soundodger+. Mouse-driven survival bullet-hell, driven by music. Interesting in that it has pregenerated courses for its own soundtrack and encourages you to do the same rather than to rely on the procedurally generated fusillades. It's right; whether that's because the procgen system is kind of lame or because human intelligence is better at level design than an algorithm is up for grabs.

NEW GAME: FEZ. I play enough platformers. I should see what this one's all about.

INTERMITTENTLY IN PROGRESS: Stealth Bastard Deluxe, Pinball FX2, Volgarr the Viking. I feel like I should be concentrating more on Stealth Bastard.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Finished: Sleeping Dogs

I remember hearing about this game and not being too interested, but I'm glad I picked it up and finally played it. Fantastic game with great characters, great story and fun gameplay. There was a nice bit of variety in the missions too, although I did get sick of the hacking, lockpicking and bugging minigames after awhile.

Not sure if I'll finish up the last of the lockboxes and other collectables or not yet, but I am tempted to pick up the gameplay DLC for it.

Starting: RUSH

Played this awhile back a bit. I'd rather not immediately invest another 20+ hours into a game, so this should be a nice short one.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Good news, Season 2 will be out soon*! Although it's not going to be on sale for a while.

You can get 400 days for $2.50 on Steam right now, but you'll need the base game on Steam too, if you only have it on console. It's pretty good, but it's mostly just a quick intermission (about 1 1/2 hours if you take your time) between Season 1 and 2. It's a bunch of short stories about these different characters essentially, there is no long term character development, so don't expect any really heavy scenes like in Season 1. The writing and voice acting are up to their standards though, and the characters are mostly really good. I'd say it's well worth it if you buy it on sale.

Also, Kenny Lives.

*In Telltale time, which is a lot like Valve time, only maybe not quite as long.

Turns out Season 2 will be soon! Can't wait. That said, you sold me, and

Beat The Walking Dead: 400 Days: It's not often I wish a DLC had been split in half, but if they absolutely had to keep this short I wish they had put 3 stories in each half of a split, and doubled the amount of time we got with each character. I liked every protagonist at the end of the day, but just as I began to like them their time was up. Ah well, was worth the money I felt.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MykonosFan posted:

Beat The Walking Dead: 400 Days: It's not often I wish a DLC had been split in half, but if they absolutely had to keep this short I wish they had put 3 stories in each half of a split, and doubled the amount of time we got with each character. I liked every protagonist at the end of the day, but just as I began to like them their time was up. Ah well, was worth the money I felt.
I can't help but agree. Maybe just the implied-interconnected stories.

Ah, well. Hopefully Season 2 will bring more of the same. If anything, the DLC at least showed that they still know how to write good character drama.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Finished: Papo & Yo. Absolutely magnificent experience - the puzzles are very creative, the platforming fun (I have zero tolerance of bad platforming and this was good), some pretty amazing sequences like bringing Lula back to life, and overall one of the more meaningful experiences I've had. Especially poignant since the game is based on the creator's life growing up in the favelas and with an abusive, alcoholic father. It's a short game, with some replayability - there's a new game plus collectible in particular, though it's hard sitting through some of the sequences a second time :ohdear: Recommended.

Beaten: Max Payne 3. Ugh, what a slogfest. I gave up on this a few weeks ago after I had played the overly-long first favela level, then wondered what I was doing during the cemetery level. Finally decided to finish this and free up some hard drive space, and was disappointed. Calling the middle half of the game "filler" would be generous. I think Max ended up killing a few thousand people by the time this was done, maybe that's the point? Or maybe that Max brings misery wherever he goes? In which case he sure brought misery here :v: At least the music was good.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
Completed: Anodyne (Steam)
Quirky little indie game that, every now and then, tries to be 'indie' a little bit too much (in my opinion). The puzzles are solvable and I managed to 100% the game after reading up on the location of three cards that I was missing. Recommended if you have it in your library anyway (e.g. from one of the many game bundles).

Completed: Thomas Was Alone (Steam)
Pretty amazing how the creator(s?) manage to give a number of rectangular shapes such distinguishable and lovable characters and character traits. As such, I very much enjoyed the writing in Thomas Was Alone. The overall difficulty of the game isn't very high but it makes for a fun couple of hours (even more so if you go for 100%). The soundtrack is fantastic!

Beat: The Stanley Parable (Steam)
Wow, just wow. You know this feeling when there is so much hype about a game and you've got absolutely no idea why so you're assuming the game must (at least to some degree) fail your expectations? Well, luckily I never checked what exactly The Stanley Parable is about and, if you haven't played the game yet, you shouldn't either. Play this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Beat Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers. Loved this. Awesome art style, killer soundtrack, and an inventive gimmick that actually works rather well, most of the time. It's woefully short however (three hours tops), but it's also on sale all the time, and it's totally worth a couple of bucks. Here's hoping that they make a full-length sequel someday.

Beat Thomas Was Alone. It's charming enough, and the narration is pretty entertaining (aside from the cringe-worthy meme references), but it just never becomes much of a game. There are trivially easy levels right up until the very end of the game, and the puzzles never get much harder than 'use two blocks to create stairs for third block'.

Beat Max Payne 3. If it had been called 'Fat American in Brazil' or whatever, I would have been fairly impressed with it as a beautiful and mechanically sound mans shooter, but as the third Max Payne game it is so very, very disappointing. This is mostly due to the plot, which is just so generic and impersonal. The first two games were about a man loosing everything he held dear; the third installment is about that same man loosing some people that he didn't really know and discovering that his sort-of-friend maybe betrayed him a little bit, but it's okay I guess?. All the while, he has to internally lament over his current situation and his life in general every time there's a cutscene (which is roughly every time you go through a door), which gets really old really fast. The shooting's pretty decent most of the time, and the setpieces are impressive and well-designed, but it all just feels so flat and uninspired.

Beat The Walking Dead: 400 Days. Short but sweet. Can't wait for season 2.

Currently playing:
Spelunky: Trying to complete a full run. Tough, but fair. Pretty much every one of my 160+ deaths has been entirely my own fault.
Pinball FX2: Trying to master the Episode V table (or at least finished a scene or something). Most games end in ragequits.
Papers, Please: Brilliant.