Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Yeah, Thinky Pain was pretty good. Worth watching, although I feel like it's not the best record of his stand up.

So, in the intro to today's show, Marc has just revealed that he's broken up with Jessica. It had seemed clear that things were going badly the last few shows, and given who he is, this is hardly a surprise, but still, I feel bad. I'm listening to it now, and he's keeping his cool, but he sounds pretty hurt.

That's good news. I was very happy during Thinky Pain when he asked the audience if he should have kids and the screams of "NOOOO!!!" were louder than the apathetic "yeahs?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
That is one giant bullet he dodged.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
She ran away with Jonathan Laroquette and Seth Romatelli in a beautiful love triangle

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Really bummed to hear about Marc and Jess. I know so much about the guy through the show, i feel like I know him.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Rabbit Hill posted:

That is one giant bullet he dodged.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Everything about that relationship was wrong and the [by his account] increasingly panicky demands were a huge red flag.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
once I realized the sex fest chick and jessica were the same person i wanted to put my arm around his shoulders and say bro...

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Man that was a depressing intro. Mark sounds so sad, and then he had me in tears laughing with his completely deadpan, whispered, heartbroken, "Pow. Just poo poo my pants. justcoffee.coop." Poor bastard, you don't have to plug when it clearly sounds like you just want to die.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

butros posted:

Man that was a depressing intro. Mark sounds so sad, and then he had me in tears laughing with his completely deadpan, whispered, heartbroken, "Pow. Just poo poo my pants. justcoffee.coop." Poor bastard, you don't have to plug when it clearly sounds like you just want to die.

That was seriously one of the funniest spontaneous moments I've ever heard. So pitch loving black it could've come right out of a Todd Solondz movie.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Bundt Cake posted:

once I realized the sex fest chick and jessica were the same person i wanted to put my arm around his shoulders and say bro...

What is this sex fest?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I'm a big softie so that intro + the news broke my heart a little. The Coffee plug was priceless though.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!
Can someone catch me up on the details of the Jess breakup? It was depressing as hell to listen to him announce it as I felt for his "I finally thought I had figured relationship things out in my life. Guess not" sadness.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I saw him a few weeks ago and it seems like it basically boils down to: she kept pressing him to do things (like move in together, and get engaged) and he was resistant but kept giving in. The most recent pressing issue was getting her pregnant and he seemed REALLY resistant to that (plus setting a wedding date, renovating or moving house) and I think he eventually decided that he didn't want to do any of those things and broke it off.

Happy Hippo posted:

What is this sex fest?

She was a fan who emailed him out of the blue and suggested they meet up and have sex, and they did, in like, Portland. It was semi-covered in an episode of the TV show. Then she moved to LA (nothing to do with him... apparently) and kept bugging him until he agreed to start seeing her. That's pretty one sided because I only know his side, but yeah. The relationship grew out of "I'm a big fan, want to spend a weekend together having sex?"

Also if you can find a Conan appearance from a few years ago, Marc tells a story about a woman texting him a picture of her vagina. That's also the same person.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...
So, is it just me, or has the break up made Marc funnier? I thought the Moon Zappa interview was hilarious.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Old Janx Spirit posted:

So, is it just me, or has the break up made Marc funnier? I thought the Moon Zappa interview was hilarious.

I feel like "I'm going to Yelp my Witch doctor" should be the title.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I think their chemistry/history helped there, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Marc's time with Jessica was taking up some of his mental space that could have gone to jokes. Then again, I really liked his show and I've been a fan of his since Comedy Central was showing mostly stand-up reruns.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Just now getting into podcasts, and I've listened from Kristen Schaal to the present. I'm really impressed by this show and how actually interesting the Food Network people are.

I also didn't think I was going to get anything out of the Jim Breuer ep but goddamn. He's got such a loving rough story and I respect the hell out of him for it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I watched about half of Thinky Pain and I like it so far. A few things bug me a little, like some apparent quick editing cuts (if there are uncomfortable silences or ums or whatnot, leave 'em in, I say), and maybe, maybe some canned laughter. But it's mostly enjoyable.

I remember, maybe it was 2010 (this was when I was catching every single ep), he talked about how he basically sucks the life out of his friends, and needs constant reassurance, even briefly interviewing one of his friends at one point. Seeing the brief "pep talk" before the special, this is extremely evident, as his buddy there tries to casually cheer him up, he's leaning forward, just seeking and devouring any kind of energy he can from this guy. He ain't kidding about it, being a close friend of Maron's has got to be an emotional workout.

Also, the most recent season of Louie had finally hit Netflix and it was great seeing a complete role reversal of that Louie CK interview, set in Maron's own house. "You just weren't there for me, man." "You did this exact same thing five years ago."

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

I remember, maybe it was 2010 (this was when I was catching every single ep), he talked about how he basically sucks the life out of his friends, and needs constant reassurance, even briefly interviewing one of his friends at one point. Seeing the brief "pep talk" before the special, this is extremely evident, as his buddy there tries to casually cheer him up, he's leaning forward, just seeking and devouring any kind of energy he can from this guy. He ain't kidding about it, being a close friend of Maron's has got to be an emotional workout.

To be fair, that's Tom Scharpling, a God among men.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Wrestler CM Punk is tomorrow's guest. Which is literally WTF, but a few months back he performed stand up at an alt show in LA.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I've no idea who he is but he's been really good on the podcasts he's turned up on so far.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
CM Punk is a very interesting person and fantastic talker who has brought more of a meta-awareness to pro wrestling of late and has largely blazed his own trail within that insular and highly competitive world. Depending on how much he's willing to speak outside of kayfabe (aka fake storyline world of WWE) this could be a fantastic episode. I'm really excited for it (and not just because my un used to be CM Funk and I'm a huge fan).

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

CM Punk just confirmed my assumption that wrestling is a boring oligarchy where Vince sits around and thinks about how to make the most money per month from dumb people all day every day. Still CM himself seems like a pretty cool dude, I can relate to him in many ways.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Dude has disowned what seems to be his entire family for "stealing" from him. Pretty sure Punk is a whack job.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

As someone who used to watch a lot of independent wrestling and have known who CM Punk is since like 2003 or 2004, I can say that his family has always sounded insane even when he was making $20 wrestling in a gym.

Edgar Wright was a fun interview.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

The Berzerker posted:

As someone who used to watch a lot of independent wrestling and have known who CM Punk is since like 2003 or 2004, I can say that his family has always sounded insane even when he was making $20 wrestling in a gym.

Edgar Wright was a fun interview.

Isn't he straight edge because his parents are terrible, abusive alcoholics?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bunk Rogers posted:

Dude has disowned what seems to be his entire family for "stealing" from him. Pretty sure Punk is a whack job.

Having lovely family members who suddenly want to be in your life once you make money is pretty normal.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't think his mom is but yeah his dad is an alcoholic.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Having lovely family members who suddenly want to be in your life once you make money is pretty normal.

He gave me the impression that everyone was stealing from him well before any wrestling popularity.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Groucho Marxist posted:

His father was. He told a story once of how his Dad would pick him up from School or something and just roll the window down and just throw up while driving. Punk was upset because he thought his father was ill but once he realised it was down to the booze he said it was enough to put him off anything like that.

Him disowning his family is nothing new to hear about. He moved in with his other 'family' from a pretty young age. The fact that he's actually had to have a sort of restraining order taken out against them is crazy though.

The Edgar Wright interview was great. Wright is usually always asked about movies so it was good to hear him talk about his personal life a little more.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Bunk Rogers posted:

He gave me the impression that everyone was stealing from him well before any wrestling popularity.

From wikipedia:

quote:

Punk's first venture into wrestling was a stint in a backyard wrestling federation called the Lunatic Wrestling Federation with his friends and brother Mike Brooks in the mid-late 1990s. Unlike his friends, Punk genuinely wanted to be a wrestler and saw it as more than simple fun. When the promotion started taking off, doing spot shows out of a warehouse in Mokena, Illinois, Punk found out that his brother Mike had embezzled thousands of dollars from the small company, causing them to become estranged. They have not spoken since.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know why people are claiming CM Punk is crazy because he claims his family really screwed him over, I guess you're lucky you had a good supportive family?

I spent a good year fighting the dozens of accounts sent to collection starting like three months after I turned 18 because my parents had my SSN and maxed out as many credit cards as possible they fraudulently obtained in my name. And that was the most unoffensive and indirect way they stole from me and everyone else they could. Some people are really lovely, I wouldn't immediately assume he's lying or anything.

Is Larry King good? I am so behind on so many podcasts :(

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Larry King was boring but I don't care about him so that might be part of it. It's worth listening to the start of it though because King thought their interview was at 10, Maron had 10:15, so when Maron showed up (with his recorder already on) you can hear Larry King in the foyer saying "You're LATE" and being an old curmudgeon, and then Maron talking to himself while he waits alone in a living room.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Woah, Will Ferrell is on next week.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

Nice! Thank you, endless Anchorman 2 promo schedule.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Has he ever met Marc? I'm curious if there's going to be any baggage going in, as that always makes the best kind of interview where Marc has to start off with 5 minutes of apologizing for being a dick.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Pocket Billiards posted:

Whats your source for this?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Juttman posted:

Whats your source for this?

The Lou Barlow podcast, during the intro/Maron's pissing and moaning about his Dad.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Pocket Billiards posted:

The Lou Barlow podcast, during the intro/Maron's pissing and moaning about his Dad.

Oh ok haven't heard it yet. Funny enough, I was just thinking today about how he needs to get him on the show. Now if he gets Albert Brooks, I'll be a happy, happy guy.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Lou Barlow as in Sebadoh and The Folk Implosion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

Lou Barlow as in Sebadoh and The Folk Implosion?

Yep. This was one of the best shows I've ever heard.

• Locked thread