Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

xcdude24 posted:

..."Me and me missus"...?

After spending a few days in Mui Ne, I left a bit confused as to why anyone would willing to spend ten to fifteen percent of their annual three weeks off in a package tour beach resort town. I mean, really, if all you're going to do is sit under a canopy, waste a few hours at a jewelry shop, and eat at awful burger joitns, why bother slogging your family halfway around the world? Even if you're Russian, you can surely lug your family to Mallorca for $150pp. Maybe it's nostalgia for the pre-perestroika days or something

Because you sound a lot cooler when you tell people you went to Thailand rather than St. Lucia or whatever. There's a non-negligible number of people that go to places just to say they had the ability to do it.

Or they're divers. Divers have to slog through beach resort towns because that's where the dive shops and everything else are. Unless you do liveaboard diving, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

eviljelly posted:

I only know from what the one travel agency lady told me (she had lived on Koh Tao for over 15 years). She said NYE was the busiest, then July/August, then December/January. I don't recall if she told me where Songkran falls on that list.

Guess I'll have to be there for July/August. Not sure if I'll be staying long enough to make the NYE one.

ReindeerF posted:

Still, it wasn't so much a FMP as it was a beach full of people dancing and drinking and vomiting and fighting.

My idea of a good time.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Does anyone have experience getting women's clothes tailored in Bangkok? I'm interested in having a business outfit made, as well as getting some of my traditional Lao sinh skirts sacrilegiously transformed into miniskirts.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Because you sound a lot cooler when you tell people you went to Thailand rather than St. Lucia or whatever.

Your mileage may vary. Everyone that I've told about my upcoming Thailand trip has made the assumption that I'm going there because of the prostitutes.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Kylaer posted:

Your mileage may vary. Everyone that I've told about my upcoming Thailand trip has made the assumption that I'm going there because of the prostitutes.

This. I like some of my friends but talking about travelling with them is all kinds of loving stupid. They have no idea about anything.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
And why can't it be March already, winter is really starting to hit Finland and i have terrible travelling withdrawals. Soon it's -35 C here again :smithicide:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Kylaer posted:

Pretty much this. Eight years on, the jokes continue. I don't mind the humor, we all make jokes about one another's countries, but I do get kind of annoyed when people think there's not a single other thing to do here. Of course once they visit they're like, "Woah."

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2013/11/extradited-brit-gets-25-years-jail-for.html

Small consolation to the family, but a fair amount of justice was finally done in the case of this utter piece of poo poo. To be honest, as much as I loathe people like Aldhouse, if they can be rehabilitated I hate to see them lose their lives too, but, on the other hand, he's such an utter piece of poo poo that 25 years isn't the worst thing imaginable in the Thai justice system. He'll serve 8, be repatriated and go home.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 30, 2013

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I never said they were wrong :getin:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Kylaer posted:

That's why you should go to Laos. Then they assume "...what? Where's Laos?"

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And they'll say the S on the end repeatedly.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

And they'll say the S on the end repeatedly.

Language: Lao
People: Lao

I was also kind of miffed to find out that they pronounce Vientiane as vee-en-tee-an. I'd read it was supposed to be pronounced wieng-cheng or something like that. Also I got made fun of for saying Luang Prabang with the emphasis on the "ang." It's said more like Lu-ong Pra-bong.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
puh-TOY-yuh
Hooah Hinn

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

How to instantly spot a recent arrival to Southeast Asia: lay-oh-shun

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pixelante posted:

Language: Lao
People: Lao

I was also kind of miffed to find out that they pronounce Vientiane as vee-en-tee-an. I'd read it was supposed to be pronounced wieng-cheng or something like that. Also I got made fun of for saying Luang Prabang with the emphasis on the "ang." It's said more like Lu-ong Pra-bong.

What kind of Canadian are you geeze know your French.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

caberham posted:

What kind of Canadian are you geeze know your French.

I'm British Columbian. We don't screw around with that French nonsense.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

drat straight. I sheepishly admit to people that I learned French for 9 years but barely speak it anymore, but actually I am secretly proud of my ability to resist indoctrination.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm finally getting around to doing the job search thing for next year. What's decent ESL teacher pay in Thailand? Most of the postings seem to be around 40,000 Baht/month, which is double what I'm getting right now in Indo. Is it livable, though?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I suddenly feel so smug for being the only native French speaker in this thread.

Never had a problem saying "Vientiane"!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Aloe weather gentle aloe weather, aloe weather joot dee poom moray

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm finally getting around to doing the job search thing for next year. What's decent ESL teacher pay in Thailand? Most of the postings seem to be around 40,000 Baht/month, which is double what I'm getting right now in Indo. Is it livable, though?

Ajarn.com has good forums.

About eight years ago ( :barf: ) my first teaching job there paid about 38k, my second paid 55k. 55 was the upper end of non international school work then (you can't work a real international school job if you don't have a certification to teach primary or secondary school back home). That money had me living comfortably, doing most of what I wanted day to day, but not saving more than 100USD a month (most teachers didn't bother trying to save even that). Expenses have gone up marginally since then (10b Birdy Coffee where did you go :qq: ). At that time the default advice on Ajarn was "don't teach in Bangkok for less than 40" (my first job was at a university and I got four months paid vacation which they don't allow any more hehe).

Arranging work without being in country I would regard as an error. Chiang Mai pays the least of anywhere in Thailand AFAIK. There are no jobs on the beach (but who really wants to live on a beach all the time other than reptiles). Duckmaster may try to sell you a Santa hat.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 1, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Calling Chair to the thread. Chair, report to the thread.

40K sounds pretty loving decent for ESL work from what I hear, assuming you also tutor and edit theses off the books like everyone does, but I'm a lovely source and know no young teachers.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Did anything ever come of that french backpacker that was murdered in Kampot? Wonder if the bloke they suspect is still sitting in prison.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Sheep-Goats posted:

Wait, you guys pronounce "aloe" like "ahloo" or something? Yeah, no, I'm keeping that :smug:

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Yeah, Vientiane is french approximation. In Thai (I believe it is rather similar in Lao), it's more like Vieng-Chan. Vieng* as in city (or village, or country, size varies), Chan from Chandra, as in the Moon. (Or Chan from sandalwood, according to wiki)

*Do you now that Vieng, Chiang (like in Chiang Mai) and Mueang are basically the same word?

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

imnotinsane posted:

Did anything ever come of that french backpacker that was murdered in Kampot? Wonder if the bloke they suspect is still sitting in prison.

Last I heard he was still locked up, the DNA evidence was inconclusive, and the case was still being "investigated". There was talk a while back of a mysterious red-headed woman who might be able to provide the guy an alibi, but I don't think anything came of it. I think his lawyers were trying to get him out on bail since there's not really anything conclusive to hold him.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

FortMan posted:

Yeah, Vientiane is french approximation. In Thai (I believe it is rather similar in Lao), it's more like Vieng-Chan. Vieng* as in city (or village, or country, size varies), Chan from Chandra, as in the Moon. (Or Chan from sandalwood, according to wiki)

*Do you now that Vieng, Chiang (like in Chiang Mai) and Mueang are basically the same word?

If you were to read directly from english it would be Vieng-Jun but Chan is close enough.

Fyi - Vien-Tee-an (what most foreigners say) is the word in Lao for a religious\cultural process of walking around a stupa 3 times with a candle. It's done in Laos once I year I believe during Tha Luang Festival at the main Tha Luang Stupa.

edit: Tee-an meaning candle.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 2, 2013

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

lol internet. posted:

Fyi - Vien-Tee-an (what most foreigners say) is the word in Lao for a religious\cultural process of walking around a stupa 3 times with a candle. It's done in Laos once I year I believe during Tha Luang Festival at the main Tha Luang Stupa.

edit: Tee-an meaning candle.

Yeap, it's the same in Thailand. "Vien" mean moving around something.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Is that the same wien as in wong wien?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

tam-pines

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
My favourite is F'nom Pen.

Or just (Om Nom Nom) Nom Pen.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Just had a tooth taken out by a Cambodian dentist.

He gave me some painkillers to take when the anaesthetic wears off, "if it still hurts".

I'm not taking any chances on that one.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

At least you got anaesthetic

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

He gave me some painkillers to take when the anaesthetic wears off, "if it still hurts".

In Fnom Penh or Sayam Rape?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Okay you guys are totally wrong about the full moon party I absolutely love that poo poo. First of all, the drunkenness is absolutely hilarious, and only gets worse as the night goes on. The people are usually all pretty happy and friendly unless they've had some bad poo poo happen, which isn't uncommon. Watching Australians and Irish fall on their face in the sand after hitting nitrous balloons is hilarious. Both times I went it was actually packed with Israelis, which I'm not gonna lie are not my favorite kinda travelers to hang with, with exceptions. But it wasn't so bad.

For a way chiller and more awesome time, check out the beach, then take a water taxi up the coast to the Eden Bar. It's this gorgeous bar right on a bunch of rocks by the ocean. They sell ecstasy, molly, joints, etc. right behind the counter. Everyone there is friendly as gently caress, its really a great scene. In the morning you can watch the sun come up and go swimming if youre still feeling it while listening to chill house tunes. Then you can take the boat back to the beach and survey the utter ridiculousness there. Only the drunkest, trippiest people are left and it is awesomely surreal, if you like that kind of thing. There's even an after party on the opposite side of haad rin just a short walk up a hill.

Other things in Ko Phangan, its got really pretty beaches all over the place, its pretty big with lots of undeveloped wilderness. Everyone is really pretty chill (except around FMP). Decent snorkeling, good food and such. Really pretty locations to just spend days at.

I just don't get the negativity because it has something for everyone and is a really pretty island to boot.

Play fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 2, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Yeah but you're the ultimate party animal, most people in this thread seem to be way more calm and prefer to go out of the beaten path and have a few watered down beers. :)

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I enjoy a good party, as opposed to a huuuuuuuuuuuge lovely party. My problem with FMP is that it's the exact same party replicated a hundred times over, all over Haad Rin. And the people are terrible. This didn't prevent me from going twice, mind you.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I thought the FMP night itself was a bit too huge, way too much going on and a bit of an aggro vibe to the crowd. But I thoroughly enjoyed the 2/3 nights before the FMP - large enough to be good fun but just not quite as large and messy.

Would recommend going to it at least once and staying in Haad Rin for 5 nights to anyone in their 20s.

Though I will also echo your comment on the Israelis. When I was there all the restaurants had menus in Hebrew, and I'd say 80% of the people were Israeli. Seemed quite random. They weren't the friendliest bunch either, didnt seem half as drunken/friendly as the Europeans/Americans/Aussies.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah your complaints are definitely valid, but I think it is what you make of it. I've been twice, and both times I spent a week and a half there so you get the whole experience rather than just mid-90s israeli rave parts. Thats why i mentioned Eden Bar, its a totally different scene. The main party on Haad Rin is really only good for looking at tards and maybe dancing to some trance once you take some hallucinogens. Also swimming in pissy water. Anything else, gently caress it.

And yeah I really don't want to come off as antisemitic cuz im not but I met a ton of israelis who were straight dicks. Like just terrible, mean people. Then again, i met an israeli chick there who i traveled with for a few weeks afterwards and was the epitome of awesomeness, so generalizations are bullshit.

The thing is, most of those Israelis just finished their mandatory military service. So they are like walking, talking representations of everything that is wrong with that whole fascist military poo poo. Some aren't though.

And then when the full moon party isn't going, there's tons of chill bars with live music where locals and foreigners mix, everyones chillin and drinking and smoking and generally "being excellent to each other." Ko Phangan was definitely one of my favorite places in the GUlf of Thailand of whatever its called, I really hope it doesn't change too much :/

Senso posted:

Yeah but you're the ultimate party animal.

You should talk man! pot meet kettle

Play fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 3, 2013

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a place to stay in Chiang Mai for a week including New Years Eve? I stayed at one place a few years ago in the Santhitham area, and it was really nice, but I'd prefer to spend not too much money and be closer to the center of town.

Thanks!

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

duckmaster posted:

I had a dental emergency in Siem Reap almost 5 years ago and knew that I'd have to get a root canal. I went to a dentist as soon as I could and his two attempts at injecting novocaine failed. He injected my cheek, not my jaw. Then he told me to come back the next day because he ran out. I just flew back to Bangkok that day and took care of it there. It was $300 in Bangkok as opposed to $68 in Cambodia, but it was well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shnicker posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a place to stay in Chiang Mai for a week including New Years Eve? I stayed at one place a few years ago in the Santhitham area, and it was really nice, but I'd prefer to spend not too much money and be closer to the center of town.

Thanks!

In the "old city" (bordered by old walls and a filthy moat, a perfect square) there are hundreds of places. Julie's is pretty popular and I liked the common room but the accomodations were pretty poo poo. I found a really nice place that embarrassingly enough I can't remember the name of. I actually got to stay there for free for loaning money to the landlady, sketchy but she did pay me back. My advice is just to go walking in the old city, when you see a place, go in and ask the price and ask to see the room. You could probably hit 15 places in an hour or so, at which point you will probably have found something that suits. Unless you're a fancy pants.