Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm using Project Nevada Rebalance + CCO on my current playthrough and my character is focused on 1-handed melee and Stealth. I'm around level 10 and have 90+ stealth but cannot sneak up on anything without being detected. Would one of the rebalance mods be affecting stealth detection to that extent? Or am I just spoiled by Morrowind and Oblivion where I could sneak up and 1shot people in broad daylight as long as my sneak skill was high enough?

Project Nevada Rebalance does alter stealth settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It also makes it much easier to get Stealth Field. Use a stealthboy and conserve the charge, or get nanobots.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

delta534 posted:

Project Nevada Rebalance does alter stealth settings.

That seems to have been what was doing it, thanks.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
I have been having trouble with a mod pack for some reason, I have recently installed Commander Rex's SW Weapons Pack and for some reason it has the Red Exclaimation Mark. I mean, I have extracted all of the files properly but when I grab a gun it has the red exclaimation mark. The other mods work just fine but this one for some reason is acting out.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
My energy weapons infiltrator character just got a whole lot more fun.

:unsmigghh:

Traveller In Time
Apr 4, 2009

You got anything to eat? I haven't eaten anything since later this afternoon.
Decided to experiment with some ENBs and I'm having an issue where whenever I close a container or the Pipboy the screen has a bright, white flash. Is this a known issue with a possible fix?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

delta534 posted:

The rebalance part of Project Nevada Extra Options.

Anything standalone? I'm really not a huge fan of Project Nevada and there's some stuff I don't think you can turn off.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Anything standalone? I'm really not a huge fan of Project Nevada and there's some stuff I don't think you can turn off.
This resets them daily. It should be pretty simple to adapt the script if you want it to be every two days or something.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

The Leper Colon V posted:

Well, for one thing, NV's engine is a lot less buggy than FO3's.
This, plus New Vegas adds a few things to the gameplay I wanted, like iron sights.

But yeah, there's not a whole lot of reason to use TTW if you like NV's difficulty and don't want to make it any easier. I wish the mod would allow you start with NV, since I couldn't care less about breaking FO3. Vanilla FO3's balance is pretty much a mess compared to NV.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Capn Beeb posted:

My energy weapons infiltrator character just got a whole lot more fun.

:unsmigghh:

Think you've just convinced me to use the cybernetics module.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

gyrobot posted:

I have been having trouble with a mod pack for some reason, I have recently installed Commander Rex's SW Weapons Pack and for some reason it has the Red Exclaimation Mark. I mean, I have extracted all of the files properly but when I grab a gun it has the red exclaimation mark. The other mods work just fine but this one for some reason is acting out.

This is a missing mesh. Either the files aren't there, or they are not in the proper folder. If it's all packed into a .BSA file, make sure that it's under the data folder and not in one of the subfolders. For loose .NIF files, double check that you don't have the data or mesh folder doubled up (Data/data/meshes/whatever when it should always be Data/meshes/whatever.

Don't discount the possibility that the files just aren't there. Perhaps you downloaded a version of the mod that was supposed to be installed over a previous version, and doesn't contain all the assets. For example, version 2.9 of the armory only contained guns that weren't there in 2.5; 2.5 had all the previous files. If the user didn't download and install 2.5 first, they would have a nearly identical situation to yours.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 30, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I downloaded and started playing the SomeGuy series of mods. Having a lot of fun, the whole Bounty Hunter stuff really fits well into the Wild West theme New Vegas has going on. Only thing I got a little put off by was in The Inheritance with the Syndicate. I don't mind their 50s Gangster motif, that works really well, but the whole shadowy power organization that has no basis in the core game puts me off a little.

Also, I just want to say Shadow Company is total bullocks. I understand Someguy wants to make his mods a little more challenging than base game fights, but that could've served to be better integrated, and also not completely PC-crashing.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Just wondering if I could get some helpful input from the Modding community:

I am trying to run a hair modification (I think it's Beuty Pack Plus) with a better face mesh mod (I think rugged faces).

The challenge, is that each mod creates a seperate "Race" in order to do this - which makes them mutually exclusive. I can either select a "Race A" which has access to all the Beauty pack hairstyles, or I can select "Race B" which has access to rugged face textures, but at the exclusion of the hairstyles.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on a way to perhaps combine the two in some way or fashion. I imagine I would have to open up one of the .esp's with the GECK , but I am unsure how to choose the select variables.

Thanks for the help!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Guigui posted:

The challenge, is that each mod creates a seperate "Race" in order to do this - which makes them mutually exclusive. I can either select a "Race A" which has access to all the Beauty pack hairstyles, or I can select "Race B" which has access to rugged face textures, but at the exclusion of the hairstyles.
Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on a way to perhaps combine the two in some way or fashion. I imagine I would have to open up one of the .esp's with the GECK , but I am unsure how to choose the select variables.
Open both your hair and your face mod in FNVEdit. Select one of the two mods' race entries and copy as override it into a new plugin. Then select the other mod's race entry and copy as override it into the same plugin.
Go to the new plugin, select both the race entries you just made, right-click on them and select "compare selected". Scroll down until you see the hair entries (HNAM - Hair) and then copy the hairs from the hair mod race over to the face texture race (click and hold on the hair entry and drag it to the texture race's empty space).

Save the plugin and you're done. If you need more detailed instruction or if you really want to use the GECK instead of FNVEdit, let me know.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 30, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

D34THROW posted:

Think you've just convinced me to use the cybernetics module.

It is basically deus ex ± fallout

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Also, I just want to say Shadow Company is total bullocks. I understand Someguy wants to make his mods a little more challenging than base game fights, but that could've served to be better integrated, and also not completely PC-crashing.
Do you mean the base infiltration? The guy who gives you the quest flat-out tells you "hey you might want to sneak in instead of trying to fight them, also here is a stealth boy to help you do that." I did have Chemist and Day-Tripper to extend the active time (although I hadn't brought Lilly with me to double the time again), so I only needed two to get through the whole thing.

Does NV Uncut: Outside Bets increase instability appreciably? I noticed that Freeside Open says that it does, but Outside Bets didn't say it even though they seem to both add a bunch of NPCs.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I find it impossible to NOT get detected at some point in Shadow Company's bunker, even with a stealth boy. After dying 8 times, I unashamedly told my companions to wait at the entrance, then gave myself a Fat Man with a few Big Kids and nuked the fuckers in groups. Now I unashamedly godmode it down to the offices, where I actually make a fight of it.

I penalize myself by not looting like 30k caps worth of combat armor and weapons :v:

Regarding the guy who tells you you might want to sneak through the SC bunker, is that a nod to Deus Ex or am I losing my poo poo?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

D34THROW posted:

I find it impossible to NOT get detected at some point in Shadow Company's bunker, even with a stealth boy. After dying 8 times, I unashamedly told my companions to wait at the entrance, then gave myself a Fat Man with a few Big Kids and nuked the fuckers in groups. Now I unashamedly godmode it down to the offices, where I actually make a fight of it.
Oh yeah, I left my companions outside. I've never been terribly clear on how sneak works with companions or what class of armor they're wearing. I got through on the first try, with the first stealth boy lasting for well into the return part of the trip.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Anyone using the Enhanced Shaders ENB along with EVE having issues with plasma weapon bits not animating properly? The little bulbs on my Q-35 are translucent green, but when the Steam overlay pops up, sometimes I can see the electricity arcing around in there.

I want to see it happen all the time. :(

E:

It seems to be connected to WMXUE and EVE. An unmodded weapon glows and twinkles no problem, but if I put on any weapon mod, the neat light effects stop.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 1, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Paracelsus posted:

Do you mean the base infiltration? The guy who gives you the quest flat-out tells you "hey you might want to sneak in instead of trying to fight them, also here is a stealth boy to help you do that." I did have Chemist and Day-Tripper to extend the active time (although I hadn't brought Lilly with me to double the time again), so I only needed two to get through the whole thing.

Does NV Uncut: Outside Bets increase instability appreciably? I noticed that Freeside Open says that it does, but Outside Bets didn't say it even though they seem to both add a bunch of NPCs.

As D3Athrow said, I get detected almost immediately by the first Sentrybot. Admittedly, my character is not stealthy whatsoever, but the stealth boy does nothing for me. I don't mind a challenge, but am kinda of miffed that there's the well-armed bunker full of tough mercs that have enough firepower to take down most of the NCR in the New Vegas Region. I've been liking how seemingly integrated the rest of Someguy's quests are without disturbing the lore too much, but the Shadow Company base was just a bit too much to swallow.

It's just one problem in a sea of good though, so I'll just ignore it for the most part. Also, as for the Uncut mods, the only places I've noticed that is near the 188 Outpost, and between Nelson and Forlorn Hope, because the mods put back in a lot of NPCs around there. Also, Primm might stutter a little bit.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are there any suggestions for how to get Project Nevada to play nice with a controller without spending :10bux: on xpadder?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I love XWE Cars. it makes things like this possible again.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Anyone know what mod that pulse rifle is from?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Freeside Open may make the game chug a bit in the central parts, but man oh man does it make Freeside so much less of a pain to get around.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Paracelsus posted:

Freeside Open may make the game chug a bit in the central parts, but man oh man does it make Freeside so much less of a pain to get around.

Seriously, I think that, despite pushing the engine pretty hard at times, the mod's a great improvement over the base game. Freeside ends up feeling larger by being one big area, rather than several segmented areas, and the additional NPCs really make it feel like the busy, violent place Obsidian was trying to create with the limited resources they had.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Seriously, I think that, despite pushing the engine pretty hard at times, the mod's a great improvement over the base game. Freeside ends up feeling larger by being one big area, rather than several segmented areas, and the additional NPCs really make it feel like the busy, violent place Obsidian was trying to create with the limited resources they had.
Now we just need mods to make Westside and North Vegas Square actually have a point.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know what mod that pulse rifle is from?

Yeah, it's from this mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43506/

I haven't used it myself but it's full of pretty neat lookin' guns.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah Freeside Open is great. It definitely chugs here and there, and I think it might have broke the Kings/NCR quest (although that could have been another mod and it was easily fixed with the console), but it's totally worth it.

When I was a guard for the Silver Rush that Kings guy never walked up and the script never fired for the quest to finish so I just stood there for a while until I started shooting the other guard working with me. Again though that might have been another mod (but probably Freeside Open).

It hasn't really caused crashing in Freeside for me but I did notice it has the potential to gently caress with some quest scripts like that so I'd recommend saving often if you're doing stuff in Freeside. Although you should just be saving often with a heavily modded game anyway.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Paracelsus posted:

Now we just need mods to make Westside and North Vegas Square actually have a point.

The point of North Square is flavor.

The point of Westside is the chance to do unmitigated good (for once) and get creeped on by a Pokemon master.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

So, speaking of energy weapons sending people into the stratosphere, I found a real fun quirk with EVE's critical hit kill animations:

If you slow down time during the critical animation, they just keep zoomin' up at the same pace.

Also, they're still pretty rad.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Fereydun posted:

So, speaking of energy weapons sending people into the stratosphere, I found a real fun quirk with EVE's critical hit kill animations:

If you slow down time during the critical animation, they just keep zoomin' up at the same pace.

Also, they're still pretty rad.

Could you share your load order? That looks loving awesome.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wanna get back into New Vegas (last run was vanilla), and while I've looked at the OP, I still have a few questions:

-Is jjc71's Project Reality mod compatible with Fellout/Nevada Skies/Western Skies? I loved the hell out of his Climates of Tamriel mod for Skyrim and I want to include it in a New Vegas run.
-Can I use both JSawyer and Project Nevada? Would I have to do a merged/bashed patch? Or would I have to only pick one?
-Is NVCE similar to Skyrim's own XCE? I'm not looking for some New Vegas version of CBBE or some big boob body mesh, I just want my characters to look a bit nicer, and not like the deformed potato heads from Oblivion (god those things give me nightmares still).
-Is there something similar to the Skyrim mod Frostfall? Except instead of dealing with cold, you have to deal with heat exhaustion, with different armors providing different relief values from the heat (i.e. lighter armor means slower heat exhaustion, heavier armor means faster heat exhaustion). Frostfall in Skyrim really changed the way you played the game and made it a bit more fun and chaotic (freezing to death while heading up to High Hrothgar was actually fun the first time around), and it'd be cool if there was something like that for NV.
-Is there a specific goon-recommended ENB preset? I want my game to look pretty, and ENB was my ticket to video game pretty for Skyrim.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
1. No
2. Yes, don't use the rebalance portion of PNV though
3. No
4. Hardcore mode maybe?
5. Apex is pretty popular.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Scyantific posted:

-Is there a specific goon-recommended ENB preset? I want my game to look pretty, and ENB was my ticket to video game pretty for Skyrim.

I've been using this one for a while:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/49882

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Apex is popular but it's pretty polarizing, also - it can make some stuff look awesome as hell but it can also really blow out other scenes. I like it, but it may not be what you want. Aside from that and Enhanced Shaders (which is good) I've also used Lone Wanderer and Alpenglow. Depending on what your goal is, one of those four is gonna do it for you I think.

Scyantific posted:

-Is NVCE similar to Skyrim's own XCE? I'm not looking for some New Vegas version of CBBE or some big boob body mesh, I just want my characters to look a bit nicer, and not like the deformed potato heads from Oblivion (god those things give me nightmares still).

I don't know of much for making characters look less ugly but most of the NV faces aren't bad. Nothing is as terrible as Oblivion faces. Nothing. I've never used NVCE. I know nuska made women of the wasteland, which is some mod resource you could probably cut and paste into affecting all female NV NPCs, but good luck :confuoot:

Rugged race is awesome for a player character, but I can't see that expanding out to the rest of the NPCs very well (at all)

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 3, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've never found an ENB that looks good (or works on my computer). Dynavision and its related customization are better than any ENB if you don't mind not having the dynamic shadows.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scyantific posted:

-Can I use both JSawyer and Project Nevada? Would I have to do a merged/bashed patch? Or would I have to only pick one?
In addition to Gyshall's answer: If you like specific elements from PN's rebalance module, but want to use JSawyer's tweaks, you can make the two compatible. For example if you set PN's hungerincrease setting to 230, you'll have the same hunger increase as JSawyer's.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Scyantific posted:

-Is there something similar to the Skyrim mod Frostfall? Except instead of dealing with cold, you have to deal with heat exhaustion, with different armors providing different relief values from the heat (i.e. lighter armor means slower heat exhaustion, heavier armor means faster heat exhaustion). Frostfall in Skyrim really changed the way you played the game and made it a bit more fun and chaotic (freezing to death while heading up to High Hrothgar was actually fun the first time around), and it'd be cool if there was something like that for NV.

The only thing I can think of is IMP's More Complex Needs, which exists in various forms for Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim. Unfortunately, I don't think it ever gave significant attention to weather and its influence on the player. So no, there's no real desert weather survival mod. It's actually something I really wish existed, too, since Frostfall adds a ton to exploring Skyrim.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 4, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's not quite the same thing as weather survival, but Nevada Skies does have weather effects that do things like temporarily kill your PER (-7) in addition to obscuring regular visibility and build up radiation. Hunting deathclaws on the highway overpass in LR in the middle of a radstorm is rather awesome.

Armor overheating is an element of Powered Power Armor, iirc, but that's exertion-based rather than environment-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I've never used FOOK, but god drat this sounds ambitious:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54398/