Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I had the teacher who's been qualifying me all semester turn around to me after our graduation service was that he'd take back the last two years of the kitchen he was in before he started teaching as it hosed his back picking up the load when he was covering people he'd made leave his kitchen along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Huzzah! Flexeril. My new doctor is the best doctor, and I am so glad he was a cook when he was younger, so that when I tell him something hurts, he actually gets that it hurts and doesn't tell me to just work out more for the back pain.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Huzzah! Flexeril. My new doctor is the best doctor, and I am so glad he was a cook when he was younger, so that when I tell him something hurts, he actually gets that it hurts and doesn't tell me to just work out more for the back pain.

Flexeril is the best. Just be careful with the knifework, it will gently caress up your coordination a bit. Also, don't keep doing whatever stupid poo poo caused you to hurt yourself in the first place. Not having the pain to remind you can cause you to do more damage.*

*this PSA brought to you by my left trapezius

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I've been taking flexeril for the past 6 months, doctor just didn't want to renew the scrip because ~addiction~. So he put me on nabumetone and I woke up at 3am on the 3rd day and had some kind of mild heart attack as one of the unlikely, but serious side effects.

New doc can't see any reason as to why I have muscle spasms, I'm in good physical shape, all of my X-rays look fine, etc.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, be careful with that Flexeril... my GF could barely walk upright when she was on that.

brick cow posted:

My question is how to get in with the owners of new places or is there a somewhere to post where people are looking for help? For example, how did your girlfriend get in with a company states away?

YAY, the hard part!

Selling the work is often harder then doing the work, in part because you often figure out most of what you need do during the sales process. I've been both a one-man-shop and an agency employee, and when you are by yourself, selling and doing all the work simultaneously is a difficult balance.

Short answer: relentless self promotion. Business development is a non-stop process, which fits in to the whole "constantly crafting the narrative" point I made above. Clearly define the value you are adding: tell the client what you are going to do, document what you are doing while you do it, and attach that to your bill as a reminder. When you are starting out, your projects will be smaller and more specific, so make sure you pitch the next project well before this one is over. Referrals are key, specially with small business owners, but you also need a strong online presence: blog, Facebook, twitter, Linked In, etc. etc...

Right now I'm an agency man, and I can't lie, it's nice: health care, vacation time, and I get paid my full salary between projects (known as "time on the bench"). My GF has been leveraging her Facebook page and her years of blog posts to find clients, but she also has me for a safety net. If you are just starting out, and don't have a partner to lean on, it's a difficult row to hoe. Good luck!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo, be careful with that Flexeril... my GF could barely walk upright when she was on that.

YAY, the hard part!

Selling the work is often harder then doing the work, in part because you often figure out most of what you need do during the sales process. I've been both a one-man-shop and an agency employee, and when you are by yourself, selling and doing all the work simultaneously is a difficult balance.

I have a ridiculous tolerance for narcotics for some reason. 10mg of flexeril knocks everyone I know out, all it does for me is stop the muscle spasms.

Also, my back just got manhandled by a doctor and now I feel like I'm 16 again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Also, my back just got manhandled by a doctor and now I feel like I'm 16 again.

That is the addictive part.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Today was my last day of class ever as an undergraduate.

Also, got the unofficial offer from wine-people.. it'll be enough to live on in NYC. So yeah.. pretty likely that I'll be moving to NYC. There are really no words.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Congrats, TB. Awesome to hear.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Woo! Congratulations, TB. You deserve it!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I went looking for a 'like' button and almost pressed 'report'. Congrats, TB!

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Turkeybone posted:

Today was my last day of class ever as an undergraduate.

Also, got the unofficial offer from wine-people.. it'll be enough to live on in NYC. So yeah.. pretty likely that I'll be moving to NYC. There are really no words.

Welcome to the show motherfucker.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, I must be mutant (not surprised, I have retarded immunity/tolerance to drugs and alcohol) because flexeril does absolutely nothing for me.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Flexeril is just made out of tiny bugs that burrow into my skin, so I don't take that poo poo. Any pain medication, sleep aids, or muscle relaxers lose effectiveness before too long, though. loving sucks when your body hates sleeping sometimes and you've already worked your way through everything on the list that you can afford and the one thing that worked is goddamn $10/pill without insurance.

loving medication. At least my back and knees don't hurt as bad as they used to, haha.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Please, please, please tell me I'm crazy, and remind me of why I left the industry in the first place...

So I quit my second job, and while I love my main job, it's for a very small business (like, 3 employees small) and payroll is...more often than not the boss giving us gas/grocery money out of his own pocket while between advertisers paying us. So I am in need of something with a somewhat reliable income for a second job just to make sure that everything is covered.

...my old place, a QSR that splits the difference between "Fast food" and "short order diner type stuff" that I left for another one in the same chain that OHMYGOD I could tell horror stories for weeks and weeks and weeks about, is in desperate need of night shift help. five hours a day, 2-4 days a week. I can still make everything on the menu in my sleep, and honestly, I miss the industry. I miss the hustle and bustle. I miss being deep in the weeds and loving busting rear end to get poo poo out. I miss getting pissed off and spending a half hour in the dish pit taking it out on poor innocent cambros. I stopped by there for lunch the other day and the GM straight up asked if I wanted my old job as an rear end Man back.

I really don't want to take over managerial duties again, but honestly, 15-20 hours a week in a kitchen sounds...fun. Tell me I'm insane for considering it? I could really use the extra $150 or so a week but at the same time, well...I mean the only reason why I left the industry was because of HorrorStore and the fact that I moved halfway across the country to find out that the only reason I got hired to HorrorStore was because they were about to lose their franchise license for repeatedly failing inspections and the store I'd be going back to is...consistently one of the top stores in the whole franchise, and I was supposed to turn poo poo around. gently caress that, if I had known that was my intended role going in I would have never taken the position. It wasn't like I burnt out, I just had to get out of HorrorStore and picked the first thing that responded to my resume shotgunning which happened to be call center work instead.

...but at the same time...it's the food industry. I'm crazy for considering calling the GM up and going "well, yeah, put me on the schedule for 3-4 nights a week but only as a line cook" right?

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

How did I not find this thread until yesterday? It's reminded me of the reason I both love and hate working in kitchens at the same time.

I powered through it over like 6 hours, last night.

Can anyone link to the older threads at all? I want to read and reminisce more.

(Wrought, seeing your ups and downs in that short time has been a bit of a roller coaster. Glad you're back in a decent place! Hopefully the work situation works out in time.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

AA, if it doesn't suck, you -know- you can walk away if it gets in the way of your main job, and the double schedule isn't going to drive you mad, I don't see any reason not to. But that's just me, and we're all aware that I'm crazy.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Liquid Communism posted:

AA, if it doesn't suck, you -know- you can walk away if it gets in the way of your main job, and the double schedule isn't going to drive you mad, I don't see any reason not to. But that's just me, and we're all aware that I'm crazy.

Yeah, that's what is pushing me into it. I mean, it's crappy food that's all pre-prepped beyond like, dicing onions and whatnot, and it's definitely not fine dining, but it's enough to get the "fun" of the industry since if the staffing I've seen is anything to go by I'm likely going to wind up singlehanding the kitchen through the rest of winter, but it's easy food service work, that isn't going to make my trashed knees worse just because it's 5-10pm, 2-4 nights a week. I'd rather it be a better restaurant that isn't a chain burger place, but at the same time, I love running a TV station, and that comes first. Besides, there's all of three fine dining places here in South Dakota that I can think of, and getting into any of the three would require devoting way more time than i want to to the industry.

But it'd be nice to work in a store that's clean and well run after my last run of food service. HorrorStore was...just that. Like I popped up one of the metal cambros out of the steam well and was met with...a solid inch of black gunk along the insides of the steam well. Like, this poo poo hadn't been cleaned in months. If ever. The waste there was off the charts, and it was in the middle of Philly where sweeping the outside would routinely turn up at least 2-3 used rigs at a time. Like is it really so difficult to toss a loving needle in the trash when you're done shooting up in our parking lot? The place wound up closing about two months after i walked out after the GM tried to accuse me of being the one behind putting an entire slush machine out of comission. (yes, i'm on the drat camera pulling out all the soda lines, because I'm trying to fix the fact that someone ran the powerade to the slush machine rather than the pop machine, creating an entire machine full of powerade slush.) I looked at her, said straight up I was fixing someone elses problem, and if you're going to pin the fact that you can't run a store on me you can go gently caress yourself and left. The three other stores under the same franchise owner were gone within the same week. The stores turned a tidy profit too, but oh my god, i have never seen a bigger shitshow of staffing, and oh my god, the cleanliness was..terrible. I quit two years ago and i still have nightmares of my 7 weeks there.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

AA is for Quitters posted:

...But it'd be nice to work in a store that's clean and well run after my last run of food service. HorrorStore was...just that. Like I popped up one of the metal cambros out of the steam well and was met with...a solid inch of black gunk along the insides of the steam well. Like, this poo poo hadn't been cleaned in months. If ever. The waste there was off the charts, and it was in the middle of Philly...

I've worked in 10-ish restaurants in the Philly/Eastern PA area and this situation I've found id pretty much across the board. (I worked for a chain going store to store for 8 of those, I wasn't just quitting jobs every two weeks) Every kitchen has been horrendously filthy, there's zero quality control, expired product gets served all the time and the managers have zero idea what the gently caress is going on in their stores.

In hindsight its almost comical but it sucks to be in that position and not have any power.

There's this weird mindset in east PA restaurants that anything the customer doesn't see is a-okay. Blew me away when I moved there.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Welp, regretting every meal I ever ate in Philly now. Super gross honestly glad I don't live in the area anymore, now.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Oh hey. Sysco is buying out US Foods. Now that 80% of restaurants that just serve staight-off-the-catalog-crap will be even more similar to each other!

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

God help me, I start back next week. Looking forward to it...for now.

\/\/ yeah, that's my view, especially because last time i was both FoH/BoH, I'll at least make some tips too, even though a "good" night for most servers there was 5-10 in tips. (everyone makes at least minimum wage though, it's not a tip dependent job, so I'll make some decent money on top of the regular job.

The GM loves it, coz it means that he can cut labor to next to nothing since I know what the hell I'm doing and used to running the entire store singlehandedly, me+a manager will have poo poo on lock. I was real clear when i came in to submit a new app with my updated contact info on it that this is simply a beer money job, I just want to be able to come in 3-4 nights a week, shut my brain off and work since the "9-5" is one of those piss easy, but mentally difficult jobs. I don't want to have to focus on anything but putting out the best quality food in the shortest amount of time possible while keeping the cleanest drat station(s).

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 10, 2013

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

AA is for Quitters posted:

God help me, I start back next week. Looking forward to it...for now.

Just set very strict boundaries, don't cross them (even though you want to help, or it's just this once, or whatever) and if you feel like you're starting to not enjoy yourself, bail. In the meantime, have some fun and make some money.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Welp.. the two gigs (hotel analysis in CO and wine analysis in NYC) are pretty comparable as far as wages, now I have to spend some time up on the mountain thinking about benefits and other factors.. but I should have a decision by Monday.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Anyone have any advice for coping with the switch to third shift? Aside from the usual cocktail of illicit substances, that is.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Larry posted:

Anyone have any advice for coping with the switch to third shift? Aside from the usual cocktail of illicit substances, that is.

Do the opposite. Eat right, drink plenty of water, black out your bedroom the best you can. Use a fan blowing to drown out day time noise.
Sleep when your tired, wake up when you're not.
There's days I sleep 4 hours a day and feel fine there's days I sleep for 8 hours and feel miserable.
I've been doing this shift for going on 3 years now you never really get used to it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Start playing video games on your days off and stay up playing them until your sleep schedule is so messed up you're nocturnal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Do the opposite. Eat right, drink plenty of water, black out your bedroom the best you can. Use a fan blowing to drown out day time noise.
Sleep when your tired, wake up when you're not.
There's days I sleep 4 hours a day and feel fine there's days I sleep for 8 hours and feel miserable.
I've been doing this shift for going on 3 years now you never really get used to it.

This. I've been on third shift for three years now, and it's murder. Some days I can come home and pass right out, other days I can lie in bed for six hours listening to the radio and not sleep.

The worst part, and the part you have to -really- look out for, is your days off. Your friends and family will never understand your sleep schedule, and will want to do things in normal people hours. Don't do it. All it takes is one day off your schedule, and it'll take a week or more to feel right and be able to climb out of bed and roll right to work again.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My brother works 3rd shift as a corrections officer and has a 2 year old and a 1 year old. Every time he sends me a picture he has this haunted look in his eyes, I'd have killed myself long ago.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That shift pays bank, though. It's a tough thing to turn down, and probably worse with kids. The lure of cash, I mean.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

This. I've been on third shift for three years now, and it's murder. Some days I can come home and pass right out, other days I can lie in bed for six hours listening to the radio and not sleep.

The worst part, and the part you have to -really- look out for, is your days off. Your friends and family will never understand your sleep schedule, and will want to do things in normal people hours. Don't do it. All it takes is one day off your schedule, and it'll take a week or more to feel right and be able to climb out of bed and roll right to work again.

drat, lovely to hear that second part. I left the restaurant to drive truck, and after 3 months of day driving, i have to fill in for a guy whos out on workers comp. Waking up @2:30am and driving for 10-12 hours. Ive found that I have to eat about twice as much food to stay awake through the shift. Any tips on what to bring for lunch?

Its just tough falling asleep so early.

Talked to a lawyer today about a class action suit going against the last restaurant I worked at, FOH vs the company over them stealing from the tip pool, should be wild.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

always be closing posted:

drat, lovely to hear that second part. I left the restaurant to drive truck, and after 3 months of day driving, i have to fill in for a guy whos out on workers comp. Waking up @2:30am and driving for 10-12 hours. Ive found that I have to eat about twice as much food to stay awake through the shift. Any tips on what to bring for lunch?

I go through 1-2 of the big airpots of coffee a night. I have to clock on at 12, bake until 4, box and label, then drive delivery from 5-7. I usually end up hitting up a gas station for something to put in my face before starting delivery, because if I don't eat I start falling asleep driving on bad nights.

Then get home and drink until I can sleep, assuming noone feels like waking me up around 5pm because they're off work and want to go do stuff, and don't see why I should have a problem waking up seven hours before I need to be at work. :smith:

Hence why I'm posting right now. New roomie's girlfriend decided to wake me up and see if I wanted to come to dinner. I'd been out for maybe two hours, and it looks like I'm up for the day.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

now I have to spend some time up on the mountain thinking about benefits and other factors..

So thats what the kids are calling it these days :2bong:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
O' LORD, grant me the serenity to avoid cussing the gently caress out of the well-coiffed turk who asked for his complimentary guest platter eleven hours into a tweleve hour shift thats nothin but weeds.

The courage to keep on truckin with the stream of intense Anglo-Saxon prose long after its clear he can hear every word my coworker and I are saying.

And the wisdom to hand that fucker off in a timely fashion anyway with a straight face and solemn nod.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

O' LORD, grant me the serenity to avoid cussing the gently caress out of the well-coiffed turk who asked for his complimentary guest platter eleven hours into a tweleve hour shift thats nothin but weeds.

The courage to keep on truckin with the stream of intense Anglo-Saxon prose long after its clear he can hear every word my coworker and I are saying.

And the wisdom to hand that fucker off in a timely fashion anyway with a straight face and solemn nod.

Word.

We have an Apple corporate party next weekend. 2100 people, they've rented out the entire hotel, it's going to be a minimum 100k in F&B revenue, probably double that.

We aren't getting any temp cooks, still shorthanded by 2 cooks, and it'll be cake. My kitchen is a goddamn beast. :woop:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Oh poo poo I think he's serious, folks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Oh poo poo I think he's serious, folks.

Word, again.

And if I don't get this banquet sous promotion, I will not be a pleasant person. :chef:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Word, again.

And if I don't get this banquet sous promotion, I will not be a pleasant person. :chef:

Kick its rear end, sea bass. :D

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
A few days after I moved to Denver from New Orleans I googled the most popular restaurants. Then I looked at different yelp and zagat type lists. I printed 5 new minimal resumes, spoke to chefs about getting a job, declined on a stage for a minimum 70hr position, staged at one out of four kitchens that I visited, and now I'm working at the best kitchen in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It was fuckin' nuts tonight. I sold $2400, loving killed it.

Working in a restaurant is like being in an abusive relationship. Every time it's lovely I'm like "gently caress this, I'm sick of all this bullshit" but then when you have a good night it's like, "Hey, this is pretty cool." But the bullshit never goes away. Alas.

• Locked thread