Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

blowfish posted:

Rotring Artpens can be had with a 0.6mm italic nib, I think.

Just went searching for this and it looks like all Rotring italic nibs less than 1.1 have been discontinued with only second-hand ones in various conditions available on eBay and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It was really a question about grips and weights, not nibs, sorry for not being clear.

When i said "day to day" i meant a non-italic pen, i use the italic for doing calligraphy.

kim jong-illin posted:

Lamy's italic nib sizing doesn't match the majority of nibs: a 1.5 Lamy italic is closer to a 1.1 from TWBSI or other brands. I use a Lamy 1.1 italic on a Safari as my daily pen as well as having my Lamy 2000 custom ground to match.

That's rather interesting, thanks! I did think 1.9 was shockingly small (i learned on a 3.5mm so i figured that was just me being weird).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mad Lupine posted:

What's the difference between these two nibs? Just curious.

The 149 has existed for about 50 years now and it has gone through a variety of finishes on 14k and 18k gold. The current nib finish is exactly like the original one, though the first nibs were much more springy and flexible compared to the current ones. Your nib is an intermediate which is probably a bit less stiff than the current one (though MB149 nibs are still a bit springy).

Try this chart if you want to identify where the pen came from.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 30, 2013

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Tulip posted:

It was really a question about grips and weights, not nibs, sorry for not being clear.

When i said "day to day" i meant a non-italic pen, i use the italic for doing calligraphy.

That's rather interesting, thanks! I did think 1.9 was shockingly small (i learned on a 3.5mm so i figured that was just me being weird).

Well, off hand, the Safaris and Alstars are the only pens I can think of that have a grip like that, so if you don't want/need the section to tell you where to hold the pen, you're golden for drat near anything else.

As for weight, I grabbed some pens I had laying around and a questionably accurate kitchen scale. The Safari came up at about 17g, which is more or less what my Hero 616 weighs. A Pelikan m215 came up at about 22g, with some ink in it. The Pelikan is noticeably heavier than the Safari, but it's not like trying to write with a boat anchor or anything. Were you looking for a pen that's lighter/smaller, or just kinda fishing? Personally, I find the length of the pen and whether it's better balanced posted/unposted to be more important than its weight.

From top to bottom: Safari, Hero, Pelikan (film canister for scale, because I couldn't find a quarter or something sensible)

Of the three, I always post the Hero, and the Safari feels a bit weird if it's not posted, but then it seems almost too big, even if it is at most 1" longer.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zenostein posted:

Well, off hand, the Safaris and Alstars are the only pens I can think of that have a grip like that, so if you don't want/need the section to tell you where to hold the pen, you're golden for drat near anything else.

As for weight, I grabbed some pens I had laying around and a questionably accurate kitchen scale. The Safari came up at about 17g, which is more or less what my Hero 616 weighs. A Pelikan m215 came up at about 22g, with some ink in it. The Pelikan is noticeably heavier than the Safari, but it's not like trying to write with a boat anchor or anything. Were you looking for a pen that's lighter/smaller, or just kinda fishing? Personally, I find the length of the pen and whether it's better balanced posted/unposted to be more important than its weight.

From top to bottom: Safari, Hero, Pelikan (film canister for scale, because I couldn't find a quarter or something sensible)

Of the three, I always post the Hero, and the Safari feels a bit weird if it's not posted, but then it seems almost too big, even if it is at most 1" longer.

I'm pretty much just fishing, since this is a consideration that i think requires a little extra subjectivity, and this was excellent information! I do agree about the Safari, unposted feels slightly wrong (probably because i grew up posting bics and whatnot), but posted seems slightly off balance.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was gonna get a medium nib to replace my Safari's fine but then I realized for the same price I can get a Kakuno in medium shipped to my door. v:shobon:v

Looks like I'll have orange and lime green Kakunos for Winter! (this pens are so much fun)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Huh, apparently my Hobonichi arrived today, that's incredibly fast shipping!

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

iostream.h posted:

Huh, apparently my Hobonichi arrived today, that's incredibly fast shipping!

Mine just showed up too! I'm pleased that there's even a little space for December 2013 so I can start drowning it in ink immediately.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm gifting a fountain pen as a Christmas present, and have some questions. Do pens come with any extras when you purchase them? Should I get a kit instead of just a pen, if it comes with nothing? Are there any kits you guys would recommend if that's the case? I'm not trying to break the bank, since I don't even know if they'll like it, but I don't really want them to have to buy ink themselves for a good while.

EDIT: I read the op, but I'm just wondering about anything to get a person going on fountain pens instead of 'just a pen.'

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Depending on the pen you're looking to buy, you might get a converter (so they can use ink from a bottle instead of cartridges - some pens are built to do this already) and some ink, maybe some nice paper to write on.

Is it a person who uses fountain pens already?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm gifting a fountain pen as a Christmas present, and have some questions. Do pens come with any extras when you purchase them? Should I get a kit instead of just a pen, if it comes with nothing? Are there any kits you guys would recommend if that's the case? I'm not trying to break the bank, since I don't even know if they'll like it, but I don't really want them to have to buy ink themselves for a good while.

EDIT: I read the op, but I'm just wondering about anything to get a person going on fountain pens instead of 'just a pen.'

If you want them to have ink for ages and ages, get them a bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness in the 4.5 oz bottle. It will be filled to the absolute brim, and is a solid black ink to have on hand. I use it in my daily writer (Pilot Metro), and it dries fast enough that my left handed writing is not an issue.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

angerbeet posted:

Depending on the pen you're looking to buy, you might get a converter (so they can use ink from a bottle instead of cartridges - some pens are built to do this already) and some ink, maybe some nice paper to write on.

Is it a person who uses fountain pens already?

I'm going to assume that they don't use fountain pens.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comaerror posted:

Mine just showed up too! I'm pleased that there's even a little space for December 2013 so I can start drowning it in ink immediately.
For real! Not a bunch of extra, worthless weeks and months either, but actually planned well as in 'ok it's the end of the year time to migrate over', I was extremely pleased with that little detail.

Overall I'm very happy, it's a little smaller than I expected, I'm more used to the Rhodia Web Planner, of which I'm a HUGE fan, I've used them for the past 4 years or so and don't really have any complaints.

Anyway, smaller than expected but still seems to have plenty of room for whatever I want to write, crisp paper that holds ink of all colors (so far) wonderfully and shows shading VERY well (my current fav shading ink is the Black Swan in English Roses) and has very little bleed through, even with my super wet MB Italic. The paper's pretty sturdy so far as well, I pulled out a semi-scratchy vintage pen (that I use because the nib is so perfectly flexible, I just haven't smoothed it out yet) and the paper never minded the scratchy nib in the slightest.

The cover, and I opted for the cheap 'Apple Green' variant, is surprisingly well made and comes with a rain(?) cover as well that includes a ziploc access slot to the pocket, seriously, everything about this just screams 'well thought out'. Build quality on the planner and the cover seem to be really good too.

Runs around twice what the Rhodia costs, including shipping (it was around $50 I think?), is a little smaller, but has a very strong 'huh, cute' appeal (if that matters to you), TONS of cover options available, some at absolutely insane prices and some very cool ones at more reasonable points. I think I'll be using a Rhodia as a desk planner and will replace the Rhodia in my bag with the Hobonichi, if for no other reason than I enjoy a bit of color.

I'm pretty pleased overall, yes I also went with the Japanese text version, maybe because I'm omgsokawaii or something, but the layout is still quite clear and has a clear date format that includes Arabic numerals indicating month/day.

If you want something different that's very useable and made well, definitely give one of them a try. I can't really see anyone being disappointed in one of these, and while I usually despise 'communities' built around things of this sort, I have to admit, the hobonichi 'culture' has been a lot of fun to look at.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Where did you buy the Japanese Hobonichi?

Edit: Niagara-on-the-Lake sucks for antique pen shopping. I got one very large red gift pen that I'm still trying to figure out, but most I saw were really broken no-name pens.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

milpreve posted:

Where did you buy the Japanese Hobonichi?
1101.com, just a combination of a walk-through I found online and liberal use and deciphering of Chrome's built-in translation features.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

If you were gifting to someone who doesn't use fountain pens already I'd probably avoid the heart of darkness and go with a more vibrant colour that has some more depth to it. Black's little boring but one of Noodlers other inks will look far more interesting next to your regular Bic.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

Confirming that the Hobonichi Techo's suspiciously thin paper is absolutely amazing. No bleed through!

The default size (and I hear there are other options) is a bit smallish, but it's pretty convenient for stuffing into your coat pocket for those of us in colder climates.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Hobonichi planners are just well-made products first and foremost. If you use a day planner it's hard to go wrong with one.

Doesn't hurt that the paper is magical.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
On 1 January, I'm going to be flying from LGA to FLL. :ohdear: My pens aren't expensive, but they're special to me, because they're the ones I have. I want to carry like 1 with me (with the cartridge 100% full, because I have one of those blunt needles to fill the pen cartridge with), and pack the rest in checked baggage. I've heard horror stories of the TSAids wanting to bend all the nibs on the carry-on pens, because something something :airquote: murrika :airquote:, something something :airquote: safety :airquote: . I'd be pretty pissed if that were to happen, so I'm happy to carry /a/ ball point for the flight, but if I'm worrying needlessly, I'll take a drat pen on board.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It happened to Greg Minuskin, actually - well-known in the community for being an expert on vintage pens. TSA bent every single goddamn nib of the pens he was bringing to a pen show.

It appears to have been an isolated incident, but make of that what you will. I've never had any trouble personally.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

dino. posted:

On 1 January, I'm going to be flying from LGA to FLL. :ohdear: My pens aren't expensive, but they're special to me, because they're the ones I have. I want to carry like 1 with me (with the cartridge 100% full, because I have one of those blunt needles to fill the pen cartridge with), and pack the rest in checked baggage. I've heard horror stories of the TSAids wanting to bend all the nibs on the carry-on pens, because something something :airquote: murrika :airquote:, something something :airquote: safety :airquote: . I'd be pretty pissed if that were to happen, so I'm happy to carry /a/ ball point for the flight, but if I'm worrying needlessly, I'll take a drat pen on board.

I've carried my TWSBI in a pocket on my last two flights. No one cared, I just put it in the bin at security next to my wallet. Have I just been lucky?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I fly a lot and have never had any issues of any sort regarding my pens.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I've carried fp on multiple flights in and out of the US and no TSA agent has even asked about them. My own interactions with Mr. Minuskin lead me to take anything he says with a grain of salt.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

iostream.h posted:

For real! Not a bunch of extra, worthless weeks and months either, but actually planned well as in 'ok it's the end of the year time to migrate over', I was extremely pleased with that little detail.

Overall I'm very happy, it's a little smaller than I expected, I'm more used to the Rhodia Web Planner, of which I'm a HUGE fan, I've used them for the past 4 years or so and don't really have any complaints.

Anyway, smaller than expected but still seems to have plenty of room for whatever I want to write, crisp paper that holds ink of all colors (so far) wonderfully and shows shading VERY well (my current fav shading ink is the Black Swan in English Roses) and has very little bleed through, even with my super wet MB Italic. The paper's pretty sturdy so far as well, I pulled out a semi-scratchy vintage pen (that I use because the nib is so perfectly flexible, I just haven't smoothed it out yet) and the paper never minded the scratchy nib in the slightest.

The cover, and I opted for the cheap 'Apple Green' variant, is surprisingly well made and comes with a rain(?) cover as well that includes a ziploc access slot to the pocket, seriously, everything about this just screams 'well thought out'. Build quality on the planner and the cover seem to be really good too.

Runs around twice what the Rhodia costs, including shipping (it was around $50 I think?), is a little smaller, but has a very strong 'huh, cute' appeal (if that matters to you), TONS of cover options available, some at absolutely insane prices and some very cool ones at more reasonable points. I think I'll be using a Rhodia as a desk planner and will replace the Rhodia in my bag with the Hobonichi, if for no other reason than I enjoy a bit of color.

I'm pretty pleased overall, yes I also went with the Japanese text version, maybe because I'm omgsokawaii or something, but the layout is still quite clear and has a clear date format that includes Arabic numerals indicating month/day.

If you want something different that's very useable and made well, definitely give one of them a try. I can't really see anyone being disappointed in one of these, and while I usually despise 'communities' built around things of this sort, I have to admit, the hobonichi 'culture' has been a lot of fun to look at.

Not really sure if I'm ready to commit the Hobonichi yet, but I'm considering getting a planner. Can someone talk a bit more about the Rhodia Web Planner? I've seen the pics and info on the Goulet Pens site, but don't really have a "feel" for it yet. Can you tell me what's good/bad about it or what you like/don't like, or genreal impressions?

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
I'm looking for advice on repairing a pen (or if I should just replace it).

The other day my medium point Lamy Safari spontaneously stopped working. This was something of a surprise since my Lamy's have generally been my standard of pens that always work fine. But this one just stopped writing one day, despite having ink in it. I've tried cleaning it out repeatedly, and soaking it overnight, but that doesn't seem to have brought the flow back. Then I tried cleaning it with a touch of water + ammonia, and that also hasn't helped. I've tried poking at the nib a couple times, taking it off and cleaning under it, and still nothing.

It's annoying, since I can sometimes fidget it into writing for a little by just making sure it's really, really wet with ink to start, but then it's completely dry again the next day. I'd think it was something to do with the cap then, but it looks fine and still snaps on nicely and stays in place.

I'm out of ideas short of trying replacing the nib or the whole thing. Does anyone have any other ideas?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

wodan22 posted:

Not really sure if I'm ready to commit the Hobonichi yet, but I'm considering getting a planner. Can someone talk a bit more about the Rhodia Web Planner? I've seen the pics and info on the Goulet Pens site, but don't really have a "feel" for it yet. Can you tell me what's good/bad about it or what you like/don't like, or genreal impressions?
The paper is utterly fantastic. Smooth, crisp and takes ink wonderfully. It takes a bit to dry (as does any nice FP friendly paper) so don't be too quick to snap the book shut after jotting a note.

The binding is very nice, it's sturdy and really just begins showing some wear at the end of the year, and I pull mine out throughout the day, OFTEN.
The cover is a nice, leather-esque sort of material, looks nice and business like, I really wish they were available in orange tho.

The layout is the week on the left page and a blank (graph squares) sheet for notes on the right, and I was dubious at first but LOVE this format, I'll never accept anything else, grids are the way to go.

A nice touch, in addition to the silk bookmarker, each page has a perforated corner, so as you progress through the year, you remove the corner and flip immediately to the current date. Great little bit of detail there.

Honestly, there's nothing I don't love about it, the only real reason I went with the Hobonichi was curiosity, and now that I see the size difference, I'm really just using that as an excuse to say 'well yeah, I'll use the Rhodia as my DESK planner' when in reality, it'll be more of a companion in general to the Hobonichi. I'll probably use the Rhodia more for business (the pocket in the back makes my accountant happy with receipts) and the Techo More for day to day life. Again, neither is better or worse than the other (although I'd have to give the edge to the paper in the Techo, were I held to it), I just have an addiction to good planners and paper things, and these so far are the two best that I've ever encountered.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I love the Rhodia planner and for on the go writing i got a piece of the blotting paper Goulet sells (J. Herbin I think) and just stick it in between the pages if i don't have time to leave it open. One sheet lasts forever, I'm working on 2 years.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

comaerror posted:

The default size (and I hear there are other options) is a bit smallish, but it's pretty convenient for stuffing into your coat pocket for those of us in colder climates.
Yes, the idea is that it's always in your pocket.

If you want a desk version then there's the Cousin, which is twice the size (A5), but unfortunately it's only available in Japanese so far. You can still order it anywhere in the world if you use the web store in Japanese, and then you can switch back to English to check out.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

dino. posted:

The last time I flew I had three pens in my bag and nobody said anything about them. Incidentally, I also managed to forget to remove my all-metal watch and it didn't set off the metal detector. :crossarms:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cobalt impurity posted:

The last time I flew I had three pens in my bag and nobody said anything about them. Incidentally, I also managed to forget to remove my all-metal watch and it didn't set off the metal detector. :crossarms:

Titanium is not something metal detectors are particularly sensitive to, my watch and titanium chain bracelet have never set off a metal detector. Even gold pens are probably too small to set them off, really, but with the microwave scanners just put them in the basket, there's probably nothing worse than looking like you're trying to sneak something sharp past them.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
How often do I say this? I hate you all. I just ordered my Hobonichi with all the accessories and a pink M Kakuno to live in it. I don't really hate you all, by the way. I'm just broke now! :gonk:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
My Plat Preppy was skipping like crazy with that stupid cartridge they included with it. Purple pen, purple ink. I loved the ink colour, but the skipping was driving me spare. Converted that sucker to an eyedropper with the silicon grease I'd ordered from Goulet (I forgot the stupid o rings :gonk: but still), and no skips at all. Feels good, man.

I'm not loving the free pen that came with the bottle of Dragon's Napalm. It's hella scratchy, even on Rhodia paper. I'm thinking I'll just get another preppy, and convert that thing. I live in Manhattan so I probably need to visit the Fountain Pen Hospital at some point anyway.

Gave the Plumix and Pelikano the side-eye to see if I could eye-dropper those bad boys, but they both have holes. WHY WITH THE HOLES. Oh well. The cartridges are looooong, and I'm OK with using that syringe thingy.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

dino. posted:

My Plat Preppy was skipping like crazy with that stupid cartridge they included with it. Purple pen, purple ink. I loved the ink colour, but the skipping was driving me spare. Converted that sucker to an eyedropper with the silicon grease I'd ordered from Goulet (I forgot the stupid o rings :gonk: but still), and no skips at all. Feels good, man.

I'm not loving the free pen that came with the bottle of Dragon's Napalm. It's hella scratchy, even on Rhodia paper. I'm thinking I'll just get another preppy, and convert that thing. I live in Manhattan so I probably need to visit the Fountain Pen Hospital at some point anyway.

Gave the Plumix and Pelikano the side-eye to see if I could eye-dropper those bad boys, but they both have holes. WHY WITH THE HOLES. Oh well. The cartridges are looooong, and I'm OK with using that syringe thingy.

Sick with cartridges on the Plumix if you want my advice. I plugged one up to use as an eyedropper once and had ink blots like you wouldn't believe anytime it was less than half full.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

The major drawback to eyedropper conversion is having to keep your pens topped up. The heat in your hand causes the air inside to expand, and there's no way to get around that except by keeping the air bubble as small as possible. It's almost self-defeating, but even half of an eyedropper pen's reservoir is more than the typical cartridge or converter.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dino. posted:

The free pen that comes w/ Noodler's is a Preppy. It's just missing the branding on the outside. The pen is identical to my medium point nib Preppy.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Verdugo posted:

The free pen that comes w/ Noodler's is a Preppy. It's just missing the branding on the outside. The pen is identical to my medium point nib Preppy.

Pretty sure the 4.5 oz Dragon's Napalm has the same weird pen that comes with Nikita. Not sure just what it is.

E:

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 4, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What snakes said. It's this tiny rear end nib which is soooooo scratchy and feedback riddled. I hate feedback. The one that came with my heart of darkness bottle is the un-branded preppy you mention and I love that thing.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dino. posted:

What snakes said. It's this tiny rear end nib which is soooooo scratchy and feedback riddled. I hate feedback. The one that came with my heart of darkness bottle is the un-branded preppy you mention and I love that thing.

My mistake. The last few I've bought from Noodler's have had unbranded Preppys.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

A couple of Noodler's inks come with Nib Creeper pens. They're kind of lovely, like most Noodler's pens, but they're really made to be cheap and easy to repair/modify, not to be good writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

A couple of Noodler's inks come with Nib Creeper pens. They're kind of lovely, like most Noodler's pens, but they're really made to be cheap and easy to repair/modify, not to be good writers.

That's still something else. It could be the same nib maybe, but the nib creeper is a piston fill, and this one is a straight eyedropper.