Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Use a pin vise (essentially a small handheld drill) to drill a small hole on both sides of the broken connection, then insert in an appropriately sized brass rod. You'll probably want to topcoat the rod first to ensure a tight fit.

It's a pretty standard fix for this sort of thing, and an essential thing to learn if you ever want to get into resin. Again you can just use super glue, but brass rods tend to be a much more permanent fix.

Alright. I'll look into glue then try to invest in a pin vise.

So does anyone have the ZZ MG? I was thinking of adding it to my Christmas list along with the Freedom, the EX and the Ver Ka Sazabi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You will not be able to move the leg after repair. You could maybe do something cute with the brass rod to allow some limited movement but the joint will still be extremely delicate.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So does anyone have the ZZ MG? I was thinking of adding it to my Christmas list along with the Freedom, the EX and the Ver Ka Sazabi.

Dates from 1999, don't unless you just have to have a 1/100 ZZ. The HG ZZ came out in 2010 and is better.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So does anyone have the ZZ MG?

I do. It's garbage. Don't buy it.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Midjack posted:

You will not be able to move the leg after repair. You could maybe do something cute with the brass rod to allow some limited movement but the joint will still be extremely delicate.

Dates from 1999, don't unless you just have to have a 1/100 ZZ. The HG ZZ came out in 2010 and is better.

Thanks on both ends. I'd never done any crazy posing with it until tonight, but now once it is fixed I guess it gets stuck in whatever I can fix the leg into. Guess I'll be saving on the MG then. If that thing is as bad as the original Zeta then I'm definitely better off.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Thanks on both ends. I'd never done any crazy posing with it until tonight, but now once it is fixed I guess it gets stuck in whatever I can fix the leg into. Guess I'll be saving on the MG then. If that thing is as bad as the original Zeta then I'm definitely better off.

I'm pretty sure no mg is as bad as the original zeta, but don't buy the zz mg.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Yeah the 20 dollars I paid for the original MG Zeta on sale still is 20 dollars too much for that piece of poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Monaghan posted:

I'm pretty sure no mg is as bad as the original zeta, but don't buy the zz mg.

I sometimes wonder if Tomino requested that the Zeta's transformation be as much of a clusterfuck as physically possible just to spite the merchandising guys, because none of the Zeta kits have ever been able to pull that transformation off well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nah the Zeta Plus is great at it. But that's because it uses screws.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Robot4Less' Cyber Monday sale is in effect, 30% off full order with the use of the coupon code CYBER30. That there SRC Alteisen is tempting me, the harlot.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Morgenthau posted:

I may have overdone it with the decals though. What do you guys think? :ohdear:

Can't help but notice the V Gundam Shai-Tarn in the background. This man has good taste in bad model kits.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Gundam store is offering a set of 6 random UCHG kits for 40 dollars plus shipping. I pulled the trigger because it felt like a neat gamble, but it seems likely that these are going to be the unpopular model kits. Are most of the UCHG kits up to the same quality standards as recent kits, or do the older ones suck as much as the older non-HG sets?

Eh, worst case scenario it's a bunch of loving Bawoos. Or Acguys.

Actually, a bunch of Acguys would probably be considered the best case scenario.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Old HGUCs aren't as bad as the 1/144s of times gone by, but they're still pretty janky. It wasn't until I think the CCA kits that you'd start seeing modern quality and range of articulation.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Man I'm really glad R4L did the cyber monday sale. I got the EX-S, Freedom and Jesta for a steal.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Man I'm really glad R4L did the cyber monday sale. I got the EX-S, Freedom and Jesta for a steal.

You're one of the only ones I think, it's still crashed over here. I managed to sneak in at 2ish to do my order super fast but a friend is pissed because time's almost up and the site's being stupid.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TARDISman posted:

You're one of the only ones I think, it's still crashed over here. I managed to sneak in at 2ish to do my order super fast but a friend is pissed because time's almost up and the site's being stupid.

I did the exact same thing. Also I'm super loving excited about the Jesta. That is my favorite grunt suit ever, and the day they announce the Jesta cannon MG I will be on that thing so loving fast.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Unicorn's final episode is coming out this year, so I expect to see a MG Jesta Cannon soon to add to 2014's all-star MG list.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Unicorn's final episode is coming out this year, so I expect to see a MG Jesta Cannon soon to add to 2014's all-star MG list.

I already have an HGUC of the Cannon but I will be fully loving willing to buy a Master Grade of it, that thing is such a work of art.
Is there any sort of weapons rack thing made for HG weapons? Because I have a ridiculous amount of unused weapons lying and I think it'd look pretty loving rad if they were displayed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TARDISman posted:

I already have an HGUC of the Cannon but I will be fully loving willing to buy a Master Grade of it, that thing is such a work of art.
Is there any sort of weapons rack thing made for HG weapons? Because I have a ridiculous amount of unused weapons lying and I think it'd look pretty loving rad if they were displayed.

not that I know of, you may have to scratchbuild one.

Also I'm making the mg heavyarms right now and holy gently caress am I glad that most of the missles come as their own separate pieces. I'd be such a pain in the rear end to paint if both the missiles and the shoulders were the same piece.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If only the GM Sniper II or Hygogg had cameos in Unicorn, then we might finally get MGs of them. We got an MG Marasai out of nowhere, but I think it was mostly because it had a cameo in Unicorn. (It was about drat time we got a Marasai and Geara Doga too, probably should have gotten them years ago.)

The Capule and Zaku I Sniper do appear in Unicorn though. I would preorder an MG Kapool or Zaku I Sniper so hard, you wouldn't believe it. An MG Kapool has to happen someday, now that they're finally giving Turn A a little attention.

Maybe as a guy who loves grunt suits so much I should really be collecting HGUC instead, but man I love MGs a lot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Systems Weapon 005 comes with a rack, but it's made for the included shield and gatling. I guess you could try modding the System Bases?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

TARDISman posted:

Apparently the sale was so successful, it wrecked their server/hosting, so it'll be down for a few days and they'll bring back the sale when it comes back up for those that missed out.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I know it may be a pipe dream but I'm also holding out for an X Divider. That was the first high grade I bought and I still love the design and how insanely stupid but amazing the beam harmonica is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A pipe dream? We're getting MG Gundam X, X Divider is guaranteed. It's probably going to be general release too since the divider is a little too complicated to be worth just being a webshop release.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So I ordered the Build Strike Full Package as my first Gunpla, is this the colour guide for the markers needed?

If so could someone translate them for me?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That's the color guide for the paints needed. Don't even try to use Gundam markers - it'll end in tears and possibly a garbage can.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That is a paint colour guide, not a marker guide.

And for the translation, check here for all your paint guide translation needs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a guide for the colors if you were to paint it, it gives mixing instructions. As far as markers go, though, all the colors should be in whatever set they made for SEED kits.
(http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGMS109/Sup probably, but even then it doesn't have all the colors)

You can fudge it though and just get approximate colors.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

TaurusOxford posted:

That's the color guide for the paints needed. Don't even try to use Gundam markers - it'll end in tears and possibly a garbage can.

Oh, that's easier for me then since I already have a bunch of modeling paints. What markers would be recommended for the panel lines?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Luminaflare posted:

Oh, that's easier for me then since I already have a bunch of modeling paints. What markers would be recommended for the panel lines?

If you have enamel paints you can do a panel wash!! or you can get a grey marker by gsi creos whatever you prefer

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Luminaflare posted:

You can just get the official Gundam panel lining markers, like these

As for application, use grey on light colors like white and yellow, and black for the darker colors.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Thanks for all the info guys. One last question for now, where can I get some scrap parts or whatever to practice with?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Luminaflare posted:

Thanks for all the info guys. One last question for now, where can I get some scrap parts or whatever to practice with?

you could easily just practice on some plastic spoons. You can't really buy scrap gunpla parts.

Edit: I have to ask since you seem unfamiliar with gunpla, but you are aware that Gundam model kits come in colored plastic right?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Yeah, I actually had some Wing kits about 10 years ago but that was more a twelve year old being "COOL ROBOTS" than any attempt at making them look good.

Edit: I should have been more clear in my first post, it's the panel lines I'm not sure about.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gunpla has advanced in leaps and bounds since those old Wing kits. That Build Strike is going to look like

this right out of the box, no paint needed. You can paint it if you want (there are a couple colors missing, and you might think the provided stickers look bad), but it's not mandatory like it used to be.

Oh hey you edited your post. You don't need to worry so much about panel lines, they're really easy.

1) Fill in the lines with your tool of choice.

2) Wipe off the excess.

3) Done!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 3, 2013

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Awesome, I'm guessing a grey and a black panel marker will be fine?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Luminaflare posted:

Awesome, I'm guessing a grey and a black panel marker will be fine?

That'll be sufficient. Also, if you want to see truly how much Gunpla has evolved since you built those old Wing kits, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG0N3Mp7fAQ

Edit: Here's a WIP on my PG Strike Gundam:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 3, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I dunno, I'll use real touch markers for panel lines, burn marks and covering up nubs and my results may not be professional grade, but they look okay. I don't often fully paint my kits though, as I don't have an airbrush, a place to do it, and I'm lazy. I'll just panel line, do some weathering with real touch markers and dry brushing if I want it to look more realistic than cartoony, then spray on some topcoat like a scrub.

I usually like my Gundams to be in their default colors anyway, although I have toyed with the idea of making a Zaku or Gouf in my own color scheme and painting up a HGUC GM Sniper II in White Dingo colors.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I was referring to him attempting to use Gundam markers to do something like paint the white on Build Strike's backpack. Only disaster would be the result.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I was referring to him attempting to use Gundam markers to do something like paint the white on Build Strike's backpack. Only disaster would be the result.

Oh yeah... that would be a disaster. Sorry, I thought you meant that you shouldn't use them at all. A lot of people swear by using enamel washes to panel line, and that's probably a lot better, but I dunno, I'm just used to real touch markers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Holy poo poo, how did I not hear that Bandai reissued that web-exclusive Banshee. I thought I missed the chance forever when I didn't order it back in early 2012.

I take back everything bad I ever said about you Bandai, even with the horrendous price gouging going on here. :allears: (Thank Christ for holiday bonuses.)

• Locked thread