Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I just want fifteen minutes of Askren funking all over Nick Diaz. Is that too much to ask, Dana? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Askren recently beat, and by beat I mean completely humiliated, a much larger, current NCAA champion in a wrestling match that he was a big underdog in. Ben Askren is pretty cool.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Make Ben go up through TUF. The show is boring and needs some kind of enticement every year. It's probably on par with the skill level of a Bellator tournament anyways. If he wins, he wins. Earns a nice contract and establishes his brand. Goes from being Bellator champion to Ultimate Fighter. If he loses, it makes Bellator look hilariously amateur.

Although now that I think about it, him being the feared star for a three month show is probably the exact kind of publicity Bellator would want.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
If Dana is seriously going to let askren go to loving Singapore just to stick it to a guy whose PPV flopped on its arse and whose stars are abandoning as soon as possible than gently caress Dana.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I love me some Ben Askren and have been aboard that train since before he was champion, but even I know that UFC doesn't need him at all. He's a cool guy, an advocate against PEDs which is nice, and has a unique style, but UFC has several popular welterweights to keep that division going.

And I don't see how Ben going to One FC would kill him from ever making his US debut in UFC. UFC did just snatch up 3 guys from One FC, or tried to anyway.

Look I wanted Askren vs Fitch and Askren vs Palhares as much as the next guy but I'm also like eh whatever the show is gonna go on. What you can take away from this is Viacom Bellator hosed up, again, and it was funny.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Bubba Smith posted:

I love me some Ben Askren and have been aboard that train since before he was champion, but even I know that UFC doesn't need him at all. He's a cool guy, an advocate against PEDs which is nice, and has a unique style, but UFC has several popular welterweights to keep that division going.

And I don't see how Ben going to One FC would kill him from ever making his US debut in UFC. UFC did just snatch up 3 guys from One FC, or tried to anyway.

Look I wanted Askren vs Fitch and Askren vs Palhares as much as the next guy but I'm also like eh whatever the show is gonna go on. What you can take away from this is Viacom Bellator hosed up, again, and it was funny.

You're forgetting Askren/Shields

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Askren/Shields is the kind of fight that could actually cancel the UFC.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think its probably a good idea to see if askren can hang with competition better than jason high before signing him. If the roster is over stuffed why not wait until after some other dudes have washed out and askren beats like dennis kang standing on paulo filho's shoulder ir whatever

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

david carmichael posted:

I think its probably a good idea to see if askren can hang with competition better than jason high before signing him. If the roster is over stuffed why not wait until after some other dudes have washed out and askren beats like dennis kang standing on paulo filho's shoulder ir whatever

It's frustrating to see people like this season's TUF cast get into the UFC while a guy who is much, much better than them gets told to gently caress off.

Roxanne Modafferi: UFC Fighter
Ben Askren: Not a UFC fighter

That's hosed up imo

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Yuriy posted:

It's frustrating to see people like this season's TUF cast get into the UFC while a guy who is much, much better than them gets told to gently caress off.

Roxanne Modafferi: UFC Fighter
Ben Askren: Not a UFC fighter

That's hosed up imo

Tuf people are like the american version of the lovely hometown foreign fighters. They arent real people

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Except the canadian guy who cried when his bed got peed on. Hes not american

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

Look I wanted Askren vs Fitch and Askren vs Palhares as much as the next guy but I'm also like eh whatever the show is gonna go on.

If Askren signs to the WSOF then you'll actually get that.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

origami posted:

If Askren signs to the WSOF then you'll actually get that.

He's not though, he's OneFC and going to wrestle a bunch of asians and maybe get upkicked or soccerkicked and that'll be funny too

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Yuriy posted:

He's not though, he's OneFC and going to wrestle a bunch of asians and maybe get upkicked or soccerkicked and that'll be funny too

That fro getting soccer kicked is pretty much the first thing I thought of when I heard about this, so I hope it happens.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm no grappling aficionado but Askren's style is super TV friendly. He makes it look easy. I'll be happy wherever he ends up.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Listening to Ariel's show right now. Per Shannon Knapp, Miesha Tate, Michael Schiavello, and King Mo to commentate Invicta this weekend.

Miriam Nakomoto had a UFC offer but turned it down. She wants to fight Cyborg in Muay Thai. Also seems to have a Diaz-like aversion to fighting, except she's about 100 times more coherent.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Listening to Ariel's show right now. Per Shannon Knapp, Miesha Tate, Michael Schiavello, and King Mo to commentate Invicta this weekend.

Miriam Nakomoto had a UFC offer but turned it down. She wants to fight Cyborg in Muay Thai. Also seems to have a Diaz-like aversion to fighting, except she's about 100 times more coherent.

Michael Schiavello, for gently caress's sake. Mo was bad enough on the last show.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Askren on TUF would be a pretty good idea I think. He's got more charisma than most guys on the roster, he's practically guaranteed to win, setting him up in the division, and you would be giving the tuf contract to an actual good fighter instead of Chris Holdsworth.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

I'm no grappling aficionado but Askren's style is super TV friendly. He makes it look easy. I'll be happy wherever he ends up.

I find Askren's style really fun to watch but I have no idea whether the casual fan agrees. What are the ratings like for Askren fights comparative to other Bellator champs?

Also, Askren's already said in interviews he has zero interest in being on TUF.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Different sports and it's just training and all that, but that video of Askren tooling the NCAA Div I champ makes this video of Marcelo toying with Askren even more impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyTjseL40aw

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that is the best video because marcelo hits the loving secret move

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

hahahaha marcelo owns

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

david carmichael posted:

It's actually a reverse secret move. :stare:

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 3, 2013

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I am not part of the in crowd. What's the secret move?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Gregor Samsa posted:

I am not part of the in crowd. What's the secret move?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0nltcFB4kI

Powerful Scientific Techniques Tell No One.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 3, 2013

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Chexoid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0nltcFB4kI

Powerful Scientific Techniques Tell No One.

Thank you so much for this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If the UFC ever wants a cautionary example for anyone thinking about losing their temper post fight they could do a lot worse than Paul Daley on Monday's MMA hour. He went from talking about losing to a b-league Russian directly into bragging about how some of the guys from One Direction came to a BAMMA event.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

There is honestly no logical explanation for how Marcelo is that good. It's like he's some sort of spirit which exists to keep professional mma fighters grounded.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
:lol:

Shannon Knapp said she's the acting matchmaker at the moment for Invicta and Ariel Helwani offered to do it for free for one show, seemingly as a joke, but Shannon said she'd definitely let him do one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Shannon Knapp is basically doing everything at Invicta. She sounds really stressed out :(

Also she says that she is the sole owner of Invicta which kind of dodges the question of whether or not the UFC is funding them, but I think it'd be a good idea for Zuffa to get involved and then have Sean Shelby take over matchmaking. From the sounds of it Invicta is not making a ton of money because their show expenses are really high, and because of the nature of their business model (like a women's WEC) they really can't afford to do cost-saving poo poo like most regional promotions do (i.e. undercard featuring only local scrubs).

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

BloodyElbow is saying that Askren going to OneFC is pretty much official.

quote:

The former 2-time NCAA Division I Champ will now be looking to rule a ONE FC division that currently lists competitors such as Nobutatsu Suzuki, Adam Kayoom, Brock Larson, Gregor Gracie, Igor Gracie, and Jung Hwan Cha among others.
:sigh:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Well that Victor Cui guy, the dude who runs One FC, saying he had a "big announcement" to make later this week pretty much made Askren going to the promotion official. It's alright. It would be great if Ben Askren ran through their entire 170 division in a year, which he totally could no problem.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's too bad he didn't sign with WSOF because those are the most interesting matchups for him outside of the UFC.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Finally, the dream matchup of Nobutatsu Suzuki-Ben Askren is a possibility.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bean Fried, are you doing an Invicta GDT? I recognize about half the names on the card, but a lot of the opponents to the named fighters are blank slates to me.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

1st AD posted:

Bean Fried, are you doing an Invicta GDT? I recognize about half the names on the card, but a lot of the opponents to the named fighters are blank slates to me.

He said he was going to be busy, so I offered to throw something together. It'll be up around Thursday.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Gregor Samsa posted:

Different sports and it's just training and all that, but that video of Askren tooling the NCAA Div I champ makes this video of Marcelo toying with Askren even more impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyTjseL40aw

can somebody explain to me why someone can do this to an olympian? i know bjj and wrestling are two different things but i thought they were close cousins or something

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

I don't know how it works at the very top level, but in my classes if you're casually rolling with a guy in the gym, you let them get good positions on you and try stuff out. It would probably look a lot different in competition.

Also, Marcelo is insanely loving good.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

know bjj and wrestling are two different things but i thought they were close cousins or something

But not close enough that being good at one passively helps you be good at the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

My bjj coach came up through alliance with marcelo and has told stories of marcelo as a blue belt just destroying everyone