Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Torpor posted:

Why go through all the trouble of declaring war, but only for like 3 provinces? That doesn't exactly bring to mind the wrath of God.

That's exactly what a Crusade/Jihad/Great Holy War is - everyone dogpile on the kingdom held by another religion. Winner take all. The righteous get a huge power boost but you don't get to decide when or where they're called. The alternative is having Catholics/Muslims instantly destroy the world as soon as the game is unpaused.

quote:

I mean, he was caught howling at the moon, for christ's sake, that should have some serious consequences!

If you're a Kind, Patient, Diligent, Humble guy then people tend to overlook the fact that you read too many fanfics and think you're a werewolf sometimes. King Howlin 'the Wise' McCrazy may be an oddball but his wise rule secures your lands and allows you to prosper without fearing foreign powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hambilderberglar posted:

When you mend the schism, what does that do to orders like the Hospitallers or Templars? Do you get them as an orthodox ruler along with the brotherhood of the holy sepulchre or will they just never spawn? I assume crusades will still spawn at some predetermined date even if the muslims are wrapped up entirely?
E: As the Byzantine emperor with the two starting duchies in my demesne plus the primary holding of rome, genoa and venezia, why is it that every once in a while I get warnings about titles being lost on inheritance to some third son/grandson? Giving them titles elsewhere sometimes solves it, but not always. I've been good and keeping within my demesne limit so I'm not sure why the game thinks it should have these people inherit anything but a kick in the rear end.

They still hang around, they're just holy orders for a heretical religion that disappears surprisingly quickly. They stay Catholic exclusive. Europe is like 80% orthodox less than 50 years after healing the schism. You still get the "Whoever built a castle in Acre" pop ups.

I haven't seen any crusades, but you can fight holy wars against Catholics, and the muslims wage Jihad against Christians still.
I get that same lost upon succession thing and I don't know what causes it.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 3, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I mended the schism in 940, and beat back every jihad they tried. I guess crusades will never be a thing?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is Jeanne d'Arc in the history files? Is there a mod that adds her? I know that SoA apparently has an event to make a character like her for your kingdom (at least, that's what I've heard), but does the actual woman exist in-game? I'd love to mod her into the Old Gods start if she is (or if someone made a mod for her to exist before 1412).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Torpor posted:

Also some of the negative attributes your character can have are not exactly as debilitating as they should be. My prior king was a "lunatic" but was immensely successful and his name ends with "...the wise". I mean, he was caught howling at the moon, for christ's sake, that should have some serious consequences!

Those names were often ironic.

PureRok posted:

Is Jeanne d'Arc in the history files? Is there a mod that adds her? I know that SoA apparently has an event to make a character like her for your kingdom (at least, that's what I've heard), but does the actual woman exist in-game? I'd love to mod her into the Old Gods start if she is (or if someone made a mod for her to exist before 1412).

She was born after the latest start date in CK2, so no.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
When making a custom character, can I just make my own .txt to keep them in, or do I have to use one of the files already in the characters folder (ie frankish.txt)? It'd make it easier to keep track of any custom characters I add via a mod if I could use my own custom file.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So I understand CK2+ is very recommended for enjoying the game, but is there anything out there that makes playing a matrilineal dynasty better/easier/more enjoyable. I don't know why but when I saw the ruler creator my first instinct was to make a female ruler, but a combination of being new, and most everything I find on the game being about male rulers leaves me pretty clueless. Should I just suck it up and play a bunch of male rulers til I know the game?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Eimi posted:

So I understand CK2+ is very recommended for enjoying the game, but is there anything out there that makes playing a matrilineal dynasty better/easier/more enjoyable. I don't know why but when I saw the ruler creator my first instinct was to make a female ruler, but a combination of being new, and most everything I find on the game being about male rulers leaves me pretty clueless. Should I just suck it up and play a bunch of male rulers til I know the game?

Male rulers do have an easier time of it, it's true; no opinion malus for being female, an endless supply of heirs (King's heir dies when he's 50? Get a young wife and have more kids. Queen's heir dies when she's 50? Sucks to be her), the ability to personally command armies, get the Crusader trait (if applicable), and so on. It's straight-up easier to be a dude. As such, it really is easier to learn the game playing them; I'd actually recommend avoiding the ruler designer for your first few games, because many of the characters are set up to have 'interesting things' going on, family-wise, that they might not otherwise get (alliances, scheming vassals, and so forth). Once you have a handle on the game, then you can play as anyone you want and you'll have the skill level to overcome the challenges of a female ruler.

As for CK2+, opinions seem to vary on its necessity since Wiz stopped developing it and handed it off to the new team, but I've always found vanilla CK2 to be just fine so I will defer to the opinions of others on that one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Male rulers do have an easier time of it, it's true; no opinion malus for being female, an endless supply of heirs (King's heir dies when he's 50? Get a young wife and have more kids. Queen's heir dies when she's 50? Sucks to be her), the ability to personally command armies, get the Crusader trait (if applicable), and so on. It's straight-up easier to be a dude. As such, it really is easier to learn the game playing them; I'd actually recommend avoiding the ruler designer for your first few games, because many of the characters are set up to have 'interesting things' going on, family-wise, that they might not otherwise get (alliances, scheming vassals, and so forth). Once you have a handle on the game, then you can play as anyone you want and you'll have the skill level to overcome the challenges of a female ruler.

As for CK2+, opinions seem to vary on its necessity since Wiz stopped developing it and handed it off to the new team, but I've always found vanilla CK2 to be just fine so I will defer to the opinions of others on that one.

Thanks. I guess I'll just echo the playthrough (quill 18's) I'm watching and try vanilla Norse. Since without the mod it'll be the same for me as for him. And hey I still get to be vikings and pillage all the things.

I just have a habit of trying stupid things with Paradox games. I got into this via EU4, and by my third game of that I was already playing Byzantium trying to retake Rome. So the weird pagan stuff, which is thankfully in the base game with Old Gods, or female ruler is just super appealing.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 3, 2013

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CK2+ used to be essential but now most of the things it added are part of the base game and the mod team is making questionable decisions so I don't really recommend it anymore.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The Nozzle posted:

CK2+ used to be essential but now most of the things it added are part of the base game and the mod team is making questionable decisions so I don't really recommend it anymore.

It's the more interesting factions system that's the main thing about CK2+ I enjoy - can you get hold of that part separately? It makes playing as a vassal a lot more flexible.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Eimi posted:

Make your female ruler attractive. Attractive is +30 to the opposite sex, easily overpowering the -10 for female ruler. Also I don't remember if CK2+ changes this or not but in the base game you need to be Basque culture (eastern side of Spain) to be able to be able to switch to Cognatic.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Piell posted:

Make your female ruler attractive. Attractive is +30 to the opposite sex, easily overpowering the -10 for female ruler. Also I don't remember if CK2+ changes this or not but in the base game you need to be Basque culture (eastern side of Spain) to be able to be able to switch to Cognatic.

Or a Lollard, I think?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PureRok posted:

When making a custom character, can I just make my own .txt to keep them in, or do I have to use one of the files already in the characters folder (ie frankish.txt)? It'd make it easier to keep track of any custom characters I add via a mod if I could use my own custom file.

Yep, and in fact that is by far the best way of doing it. Try to avoid modifying the original files at all, because it makes porting your mod to new patch releases so much easier.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So, if you don't make a character landed when you add them to the game is it just random if they spawn when you start a new game? I ask because I can't seem to get the character I added to show up, but as far as I can tell I did everything right. The only thing I haven't done is give them any land.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PureRok posted:

So, if you don't make a character landed when you add them to the game is it just random if they spawn when you start a new game? I ask because I can't seem to get the character I added to show up, but as far as I can tell I did everything right. The only thing I haven't done is give them any land.

Give them a liege so they show up in someone's court.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

SeaTard posted:

Give them a liege so they show up in someone's court.

Which file controls this? I can't seem to find anything under characters or dynasties. I tried giving them an "employer", but that didn't work.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PureRok posted:

Which file controls this? I can't seem to find anything under characters or dynasties. I tried giving them an "employer", but that didn't work.

That should have done the trick, it should look something like this (in history/characters/yourfile.txt):

code:
157101 = {
	name="Fredrik"
	dynasty=3951
	martial=7
	diplomacy=7
	intrigue=7
	stewardship=7
	learning = 7
	religion="catholic"
	culture="swedish"
	trait = "midas_touched"
	trait="deceitful"
	trait="paranoid"
	trait="zealous"
	trait="cruel"
	trait="greedy"
	1030.6.2={
		birth="1030.6.2"
	}
	1066.1.1={
		employer = 20015 #Ume姧
	}
	1066.9.16={
		death="1066.9.16"
	}
}

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm dumb. I just noticed that I didn't have the character's file in the characters folder. :doh:

I noticed this when rechecking all of the files to make sure I got everything right. She's showing up now. Just not with the right coat of arms. But that should be simple enough to figure out.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

WEREWAIF posted:

I get that same lost upon succession thing and I don't know what causes it.
What's most puzzling is the holdings which I'll lose and the characters to which I will lose them sometimes switch around. And sometimes it fucks off entirely.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I was looking for a wife for my ruler and spotted an unmarried, pregnant woman. If I had married her before she gave birth, what would the child have ended up as? I'm presuming just a courtier of mine, right?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Finally finished getting Jeanne d'Arc into The Old Gods start point. I even put some custom art in there, including her real coat of arms.

e: Don't tell her this, but she dies in 870 via execution. :ssh:

PureRok fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 3, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If you're Frankish, the Joan of Arc is actually named Jeanne D'Arc.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Did you give her that new special tag that lets (non-mother/wives) women be advisers? Seems obvious she'd be a potential marshal.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

If you're Frankish, the Joan of Arc is actually named Jeanne D'Arc.

That would be her name. But, since she has a title, it doesn't show d'Arc.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Did you give her that new special tag that lets (non-mother/wives) women be advisers? Seems obvious she'd be a potential marshal.

I wanted to, but I couldn't remember what it was.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I actually found a great start for permanent alliance multiplayer clicking around today, there's two brothers in Lithuania who own the duchy of lithuania and another one I can't spell in 1066. I've never played as a pagan before so it should be quite interesting and challenging to play as one for my first MP game. Now I just have to get the drat multiplayer to work, this poo poo is what I had to go through with games 10 or more years ago.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PureRok posted:

That would be her name. But, since she has a title, it doesn't show d'Arc.

What do you mean? She's lowborn until you choose to knight her yourself and she always appears as Jeanne D'Arc.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

What do you mean? She's lowborn until you choose to knight her yourself and she always appears as Jeanne D'Arc.

She's not lowborn. She's of the d'Arc dynasty. It's right there in the image. The title "La Pucelle d'Orleans" is hiding her last name. I don't know what you're talking about "knighting her". I just got done creating her, she doesn't have any special rules.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PureRok posted:

She's not lowborn. She's of the d'Arc dynasty. It's right there in the image. The title "La Pucelle d'Orleans" is hiding her last name. I don't know what you're talking about "knighting her". I just got done creating her, she doesn't have any special rules.

I'm talking about the Jeanne of Arc already in the game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'm talking about the Jeanne of Arc already in the game.

I was told she's not in the game.

In response to whether she's in it or not:

Cease to Hope posted:

She was born after the latest start date in CK2, so no.

She is in the game and I wasted my time creating this character?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
What have people seen with the AI's improvement of counties? Have you seen a push to put gold into building new holdings or upgrading existing holdings-and is there a noticeable difference over a hundred years. Seems like the AI dumps whatever they can into war

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've gotten accustomed to the new system and formed the Empire of Russia, taking over Finland, Norway, Lithuania, and pretty much all of the East, in preparation to do battle with the Mongols.

It seems that the most difficult part is the middle, when you're a mid-sized kingdom, when power is balanced evenly between yourself and your vassals. When you're a huge enough blob and have enough vassals, you can easily handle factions just by plotting to assassinate everyone, massive bribery, and, if necessary, stomping a rebellion with your retinue troops. When you're tiny, you can just control everything yourself.

Unfortunately, however, the AI hasn't gotten used to the new system, and never seems to be able to form strong blobs anymore. Everything constantly disintegrates into a mishmash of little duchies and small kingdoms.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

PureRok posted:

Not as a selectable person, at least at first. She(Or someone like her-it's not restricted to France) turns up via event chain-it's an addition for Sons of Abraham.

Am I wrong in this?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PureRok posted:

Sons of Abraham introduced an event chain that can create a Jeanne d'Arc-esque character (of the culture of the realm it happens to.) If this event happens to a Frankish-culture realm, a special case of the event specifically names that character Jeanne d'Arc - but the historical figure herself isn't guaranteed to be in the game because all the start dates occur too early.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Sons of Abraham introduced an event chain that can create a Jeanne d'Arc-esque character (of the culture of the realm it happens to.) If this event happens to a Frankish-culture realm, a special case of the event specifically names that character Jeanne d'Arc - but the historical figure herself isn't guaranteed to be in the game because all the start dates occur too early.

Yea, I knew about this. But I wanted something that was basically the character, but at a time that I usually play (the old gods start is where I always start). Sure, I could have just forced the event to happen, but this way I'll always have them there if I decide I want them to be (that, and I don't usually play Frankish characters, so it wouldn't have been her anyway.). I dunno. Besides, it was fun making all of that stuff, and since I made the mod for custom characters it's good practice for adding more characters. At least the confusion is cleared up.

Does the one that gets generated have her real coat of arms?

Also, I just really like Jeanne d'Arc. I think she's fascinating and I find her whole life compelling.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DrSunshine posted:

Unfortunately, however, the AI hasn't gotten used to the new system, and never seems to be able to form strong blobs anymore. Everything constantly disintegrates into a mishmash of little duchies and small kingdoms.

In my current game as Queen of Scotland/Ireland, I don't think I've seen England at peace for more than a month since the Norman Conquest over a century ago. It's just been one massive, bloody civil war.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
One hundred years of war, you say? Now where does that sound familiar....

I'm playing a game as the restored Roman Empire trying to protect my puppet Jewish Republic of Israel from its hostile Arab neighbors. It's just like the modern era if galleys were air craft carriers and the Mediterranean was the Atlantic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Caufman posted:

One hundred years of war, you say? Now where does that sound familiar....

I'm playing a game as the restored Roman Empire trying to protect my puppet Jewish Republic of Israel from its hostile Arab neighbors. It's just like the modern era if galleys were air craft carriers and the Mediterranean was the Atlantic.

What I mean is, no king of England has ruled for more than a year at a time since before Harald Godwinson. It's kinda cool, especially since it just means I'll have it easy picking away at England and forming Britannia as Scotland.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

In my Ironman Estonia game, England wound up getting all three possible invasion victories in the same game: first, William the Conqueror succeeded in his invasion, then, Harald Hardrade successfully invaded Norman-controlled England, then, I'm not sure how, the son of Harold Godwinson managed to take the English throne from Harald Hardrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Sonendar 1.05.4

I've fixed the bugged Religious Conversion events. Hopefully it'll be okay now!

• Locked thread