Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JediTalentAgent posted:

Pretty much also Terminator:SCC, Caprica, and Stargate Universe survived rough patches to start going through a really good upswing, IMO, just to have them cancelled.

I don't think there ever really was an improvement with The Sarah Conner Chronicles. Both seasons had their share of good and bad episodes and its incredibly strong ending was only possible because it blew up two seasons' worth of story development.

Caprica did get really good towards the end, but that's definitely a case of a show finally finding its own voice as opposed to a "turnaround" of the kind we're talking about.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of remembered T:SCC started off sort of weak until Derek (and Cromartie 2.0) showed up. It maintained a pretty good level of quality until the 3 dots storyline started and really quickly picked up again once they moved past that. But I seem to recall a lot of people were so fed up with the three dots because it was going nowhere and eating up good episode time.

Was that around the same time as Lost being very popular though? It seems almost like it was start of that era of shows that were getting into pulling these extremely long-term games of 'secret plots' that would teased and be drug out, never have anyone clue the audience in to what the hell was supposed to be going on with them, then failed to pay off entirely.

I think the V remake series is one of the worst/best examples of this: Aliens are here to do 'stuff'. Do what stuff? No one knows, not even the aliens.

edit: I sincerely miss V because that show was such a trainwreck of stupidity and poorly used technology that I found it equal parts amazing and frustrating.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

He's right though.
I honestly think this season might be the best one since 3, which is weird because Andy has been gone for most of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seasons 2 and 3 of Heroes were terrible, but season 4 really did return to "legitimately watchable genre TV" standards and I liked it well enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Seasons 2 and 3 of Heroes were terrible, but season 4 really did return to "legitimately watchable genre TV" standards and I liked it well enough.
Really? I abandoned Heroes during...I think Season 3 because it just got so painfully boring that I couldn't stand it anymore. But I legitimately loved Season 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, season 4 was back to being actually like a comic book in a good way rather than in all the stupid, bad ways seasons 2 and 3 were. The big bad is a carnival of goofy/awesome villains led by T-Bag from Prison Break. It also has a really clever ending.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Revolution has rebounded from it's relatively weak first season to be really good this season. :eng101:

I feel like I keep saying this, but it's true. To be fair, a lot of shows start off weaker and then find their feet as they go on. Fringe took half a season to hook me, Spartacus was rough until about episode four, et cetera.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
At the same time, I think the modern Internet Age has sort of hurt a lot of shows that need that time to find their legs.

Shows don't just have to deal with poor ratings, they also have to deal with episodes getting criticized and critiqued on a huge level before they've finished airing or before they've even aired.

Take Bob's Burgers: Before it aired, it was already nearly universally hated on these forums, for some reason. Now it's considered maybe the best animated show Fox is airing right now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have high hopes for the second season of Hostages. If it somehow doesn't get canceled I think it could be one of the greatest trainwrecks in TV history.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JediTalentAgent posted:

Take Bob's Burgers: Before it aired, it was already nearly universally hated on these forums, for some reason. Now it's considered maybe the best animated show Fox is airing right now.

Even in the original thread, a lot of people here didn't like the first couple episodes and talked like they were just writing it off completely.

The Internet: Ruining Everything Since 1995

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Even in the original thread, a lot of people here didn't like the first couple episodes and talked like they were just writing it off completely.

Then again, some very smart and incredibly handsome people were defending it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Eh, I still can't get into Bob's Burgers even though I understand the charm it has with some people. "Annoying for the sake of annoying" characters put me off and I don't like a lot of the voice acting. So I can totally see why even people who like the show would have hated it at first.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Scrubs is a solid example of a show that refound its magic after a bad run. The "final" season had most people pleased after years of pretty questionable stuff. And I think the actual last season was just mishandled but had some real potential and quality.

I think House went through a lot of ups and downs through its season. The formula got pretty stale by Season 3 but they revitalized things a bit in Season 4 with the on screen new cast search. And I wouldn't blame you for bailing on it before the end of Season 5/start of Season 6 but you would have missed some great stuff. I myself lost interest in Season 7 and have no idea how Season 7 concluded things.

Burn Notice is another show I lost interest in but people have constantly told me the final season pulled things together well.

Austrian mook posted:

Is there a chart somewhere that just tells me when I should stop watching a show? It seems like barely any are as good at the beginning as they are at the end. I mean, other media doesn't have this problem, why is it just TV?

I'd heavily dispute the notion that other media doesn't have the same problem, its just that other media generally disperses its content in a different way. There's been plenty of film franchises that ran off multiple sequels well after the magic was gone. Or book series that kept spinning out tripe to the hungry fanbase. Or musicians that make lots of bad albums that only their most diehard fans buy. Its just that those media forms release their products as new installments so its a lot easier to get off the train and ignore it. Comic books are similar in TV in that they run constantly over years and many, many comics get tired and bad as things go on. Its just tough to hold on to the same magic, passion, and quality for a story with the same basic characters, settings, and people over an extended period. In fact the main way comics use to salvage this is dramatically retconning or rebooting their histories and characters.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Did I just see the SA grenade in the background of The Office?

E: Episode "The Carpet" 13:30 in the background as Michael-Scott is talking for reference.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 3, 2013

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

precision posted:

What? No. Season 4 Heroes was still horrible.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: Breaking News: Opinions are subjective, details at 11! :siren:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Did I just see the SA grenade in the background of The Office?

E: Episode "The Carpet" 13:30 in the background as Michael-Scott is talking for reference.

*In that russian dude from s2 of the Wire voice* Does he say "stairs" and wink at the camera? Then it was not us.

hollylolly posted:

:siren: Breaking News: Opinions are subjective, details at 11! :siren:

Some opinions are more subjective than others.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

zoux posted:

Some opinions are more subjective than others.

True. Not all opinions were created equal (known as the Irish Joe Principle). Still, subjectively even an Irish Joe opinion is true if one posits that the poster is telling the truth about their own opinion. Ironic posting and joke opinions are an entire other category.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FOUR SEASON GOOD

TWO SEASON BAAAD!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Heroes was never good. Try to go back to season 1 again. Terrible.

Save the cheerleader, save the world.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

someone will fly

someone will die

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember enjoying Season 1 and I even own it on DVD. But I haven't looked at that DVD since I quit the show in Season 3. I have no idea if it holds up or what but I know I have absolutely no desire to find out.

I think my rewatch of Weeds forever cured me of wanting to give shows like Heroes, Glee, or Dexter another chance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any one have the crazy flying Peter Petrelli ಠ_ಠ gif?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

The only difference between the celebrated first season and the lambasted rest of the series is pacing. It slowly expressed the awful while everything after told it like the Micro Machines Man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a blog dedicated to replicating all the daily specials from Bob's Burgers:
http://thebobsburgerexperiment.tumblr.com/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Here's a blog dedicated to replicating all the daily specials from Bob's Burgers:
http://thebobsburgerexperiment.tumblr.com/

Another fun Bob's Burgers spin off thing is Bob's Buskers where professional bands recreate songs on the show. So far The National has done each of the Thanksgiving songs.

STAC Goat posted:

Burn Notice is another show I lost interest in but people have constantly told me the final season pulled things together well.

The final season of Burn Notice is kind of weird because they were obviously acting off the idea that it was the final season but the finale still kind of comes out of nowhere for the last two episodes. Also Michael makes what is pretty objectively the wrong choice at the very end. They almost go in a really interesting direction but chicken out at the last minute as in the second to the last episode Michael quits working with his crew and joins the bad guys because he feels like he could actually do more good there. But then, nah, he changes his mind and goes back to his friends.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think Deep Space Nine got consistently better with the seasons with exception of almost everything to do with the Pah Wraiths.

It started really really badly. Voyager levels of badly. Then it got massively better, until that loving hologram was introduced at which point it became insufferably self-indulgent. Culminating in the world's shallowest exploration of PTSD and an early showing of Moore's preference for theological onanism over interesting scifi storytelling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It started really really badly. Voyager levels of badly. Then it got massively better, until that loving hologram was introduced at which point it became insufferably self-indulgent. Culminating in the world's shallowest exploration of PTSD and an early showing of Moore's preference for theological onanism over interesting scifi storytelling.

People bag on Irish Joe but your opinions are almost just as regularly awful. And probably not trolls.

Also FX is wisely handing Louie CK a blank check and free rein to do whatever.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 3, 2013

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing about television is you can almost never go to a studio and tell them "My show is going to run for X seasons." Over in places like the UK it seems like you can pitch a show that ends in 13 episodes, period, and that's that, so you at least know you have that much time to get a story told and get out of there, but with American studios it's all up in the air. Maybe you had plans for a story told over three seasons but then you find out that you're getting cancelled after season two so it's either end on a cliffhanger or shove everything awkwardly into the back half of S2. Or maybe you planned on four seasons but because your show is so successful the studio wants more...and more...and more...and now you're up to nine seasons and everything's meandering and directionless and everyone talks about how you should have just stopped earlier but welp.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

Yeah, season 4 was back to being actually like a comic book in a good way rather than in all the stupid, bad ways seasons 2 and 3 were. The big bad is a carnival of goofy/awesome villains led by T-Bag from Prison Break. It also has a really clever ending.

Isn't season 4 of Heroes where Claire suddenly decides she's a lesbian and falls in love with her roommate or something? And where Nathan-who's-not-really-Nathan-because-they-hypnotized-Sylar-or-something kills himself once and for all and transforms back into Sylar because of course Sylar can't die? There may have been yet another Ali Larter character somewhere in there too. The first half of that season was the last straw for me with how dumb it was, I've never had the slightest interest in finding out how it ends.

STAC Goat posted:

I totally stopped caring about Burn Notice in the last half season of that too, but unlike Heroes, at least that show was good once and I kind of want to see how they wrapped things up.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 4, 2013

feller
Jul 5, 2006

zoux posted:

People bag on Irish Joe but your opinions are almost just as regularly awful. And probably not trolls.

I watched the first two episodes of DS9 and thought it was dumb as hell. I was about to go back and start watching more based on the idea that it gets better, but if you think it started off good then I won't. Thanks for saving me.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Anybody going to watch Mob City tomorrow night? I've been looking forward to it but doesn't seem like anybody is talking about it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

zoux posted:

I think skipping a year was a very shrewd business move by Louie. Although he couched it in terms of "I'm exhausted I need a year off" - and that was undoubtedly true - I think the unspoken bit, at least publicly, was "hey FX, here's what your schedule for the year will look like without me, along with the ratings I bring in".

And lo and behold he now has more money and an expanded project to bring in even more talent. :getin:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've seen plenty of sites talking about it. Frank Darabont and Simon Pegg = I'm in. Though Pegg is probably just a guest role.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

smg77 posted:

Anybody going to watch Mob City tomorrow night? I've been looking forward to it but doesn't seem like anybody is talking about it.

The AV Club did not like it at all and the fact that TNT is burning off the episodes over 3 weeks doesn't bode well either.

Anyway, I was just watching Comedy Central and was surprised to see that Michael Richards is going to be on a new show, true that show is going to be on TV Land but I'm still kind of surprised.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Omelette du Fromage posted:

I watched the first two episodes of DS9 and thought it was dumb as hell. I was about to go back and start watching more based on the idea that it gets better, but if you think it started off good then I won't. Thanks for saving me.

No the first two seasons are bad. But it gets better every season culminating in probably the most ambitious arc driven story telling ever attempted in ST.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

No the first two seasons are bad. But it gets better every season culminating in probably the most ambitious arc driven story telling ever attempted in ST.

I think Rapey Joe was complaining about the Vic Fontaine episodes and I agree completely. If I see that lovely lounge in the cold open I just skip the episode. The Pah Wraigth story also had some problems. Gul Dukat started out an interesting, complicated and charming antagonist and then turned into some dude that just wanted to watch the universe burn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Vic Fontaine.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Rapey Joe was complaining about the Vic Fontaine episodes and I agree completely. If I see that lovely lounge in the cold open I just skip the episode. The Pah Wraigth story also had some problems. Gul Dukat started out an interesting, complicated and charming antagonist and then turned into some dude that just wanted to watch the universe burn.

I always interpreted Gul Dukat's arc as an illustration of where one ends up if one takes the philosophies behind being a xenophobic nationalist (imperialist? not sure what terms are most appropriate exactly but you get the idea) to their logical conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
At its worst, DS9 was never as bad as Voyager. That's just madness.

• Locked thread