Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Anyone using a decent 4.4 ROM for the VZWSGS4?

I've tried a couple of the 4.3, and the 4.4 AOSP stuff, but I haven't been really super happy.

At this point, I'll just take a ROM without and locking up and better batter time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Not true anymore. Under KitKiat tethering is properly reported to the carrier.

It does appear I'm mistaken and you're correct, luckily for rooted users this is apparently rather easy to "fix".

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/336899-tips-how-re-enable-tethering-kitkat.html

Looks like in KitKat "tether_dun_required" in settings.db is set to 1, causing it to use APN(s) configured as "dun" type (dial-up networking) only for tethering, thus providing easy differentiation. Change it back to 0 and it seems everything's back to normal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, why does it have to be so easy to root a SGS3 and so difficult to root a SG Tab 3?

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

QPZIL posted:

Man, why does it have to be so easy to root a SGS3 and so difficult to root a SG Tab 3?

I guess you used the method that I linked earlier? Yeah it was a boss way to do it. And I share your feeling about difficult rooting, Archos 101 needed "a bit" of time to root.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

QPZIL posted:

Didn't the Tab 3 come out after the S3? Samsung seems to be gradually making things more difficult with each generation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

datajosh posted:

Didn't the Tab 3 come out after the S3? Samsung seems to be gradually making things more difficult with each generation.

Counterpoint: My GS4 was absolutely trivial, basically comparable to a Nexus device. Boot to download mode, flash recovery, boot to recovery, backup stock, flash CM. Verizon and AT&T users have a harder time, but it's not Samsung's fault that those carriers hate their users.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So I installed bigxie's 4.4 RUU and whilst everything else works pretty nicely for some reason Tasker/Root Call Blocker take upwards of 30-40 seconds after boot to launch. I've noticed a few other apps are a bit sluggish when launching too.

It was the same on a Sense-based build of 4.4 too.

Tasker/RCB changelogs don't appear to mention any specific changes in order to work on 4.4 but does anyone here use those apps on 4.4 and can report similar/differently?

Also, Helium backup of messaging storage doesn't restore all my sms from 4.3 version to 4.4. Any ideas how to fix that? I could go back to a nandroid of 4.3 and use a different app to backup sms to sdcard then reflash 4.4 gpe etc but I'd prefer not to if I can avoid it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Also, Helium backup of messaging storage doesn't restore all my sms from 4.3 version to 4.4. Any ideas how to fix that? I could go back to a nandroid of 4.3 and use a different app to backup sms to sdcard then reflash 4.4 gpe etc but I'd prefer not to if I can avoid it.
Helium and Titanium should now ask to become the default SMS app when doing a restore operation specifically to address this. I know Titanium does and I remember seeing on Koush's G+ that Helium had the same feature added.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

LastInLine posted:

Helium and Titanium should now ask to become the default SMS app when doing a restore operation specifically to address this. I know Titanium does and I remember seeing on Koush's G+ that Helium had the same feature added.

Ahhhh, interesting. Well it's a moot point now since I accidentally backed up my current messages which means I overwrote my archived. D'oh!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Does anyone have experience with Voice+ with these new CM builds? It seems to work well for the default messaging app, but if I want to use Hangouts for texts, it only sends from my phone's number, and not my Google Voice number.

Is there documentation for the changes in CM 10.2 other than the git commit messages?

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
To other Note II users: what's the current best rom?

I'm using MyRom with Android 4.1.2, but its starting to crap out on me and I'm ready for CHANGE.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I'm on Verizon and I use BeansRom. It's pretty solid.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!

beyonder posted:

Came upon this method and boom. Rooted, apps and data are intact. Only glitch was language setting changing to english but that was rectified in about five seconds. Oh and the phone that I rooted is SGS3 LTE running 4.1.2.

Unless you're on Sprint then good luck. Sprint handsets are not vulnerable.

I despair of ever being able to root without a complicated non computer method that I'll probably screw up. USB port is busted on this POS so I can't use that method. I'm pretty frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty new to android and I'm not great with complicated instructions on new platforms, but I would prefer a root to get rid of annoyances.

Amarie fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 4, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm so screwed

I have a galaxy s4 and wanted to try CyanogenMod so I flashed it

Now I miss some things on touchwiz so want to go back.

I find it incredibly hard just to do so. Odin no longer recognizes my phone and it seems really hard to even find my Rogers ROM.

Why isn't there some nuke button on my phone or on Kies that will do something?

By the way, kies can not connect to my phone whether it's in download mode or not. Tried different USB plugs but only have one cable. Can I try to flash on my wife's Mac laptop or no?

E: also anyone have that firmware (Rogers Ontario galaxy s4) that's not hosted on some shady site?

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 4, 2013

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!
I'm probably screwed too, they rolled out the 4.3 update and I'm not even sure I can root it now and get rid of the god drat thing. (I have not installed it) But then again, I'm pretty new to this so I'm not 100% on that but the nagging is what i wanted to avoid. I would literally PAY someone to do this for me at this point. I have a flashable copy of the stock rom, but I can't do poo poo with a busted laptop.

Amarie fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 4, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Also because I rooted it once, does that mean I can no longer get OTA updates if/when I flash back to stock?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Also because I rooted it once, does that mean I can no longer get OTA updates if/when I flash back to stock?
No.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Flashing back to stock is the best thing you can do to get OTA's again. OTA's look for a completely stock /system partition and function best with the stock recovery installed (versus TWRP or CWM recovery).

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I just rooted my Galaxy tab 3 and trying to move apps to SD card in setting but it says something like "no memory left in external". I have a 32gb external card in there with plenty of space. Is there something wrong with my device or do I need an app to do it?
My last android was the original Galaxy S and I'm also pretty sure I was able to move apps.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

Flashing back to stock is the best thing you can do to get OTA's again. OTA's look for a completely stock /system partition and function best with the stock recovery installed (versus TWRP or CWM recovery).

I just have to figure out how to revert to stock now. Weird how Odin doesn't recognize my phone anymore. I'll play with it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone tried CM10.2 stable yet? If so is it possible to have the photosphere camera on the nexus 4 with it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bald and fail II posted:

Anyone tried CM10.2 stable yet? If so is it possible to have the photosphere camera on the nexus 4 with it?
I'm sure you can but you'll have to find a GApps package with it included.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I just have to figure out how to revert to stock now. Weird how Odin doesn't recognize my phone anymore. I'll play with it.

Can't you flash a stock rom in your custom recovery?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

bald and fail II posted:

I had it for like 15 minutes, but I couldn't access my SD card, nor could I hook up to the PC with USB, so I flashed back. I'll just wait for AT&T to get their poo poo together.

Oh, and GPS still didn't work.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can't you flash a stock rom in your custom recovery?

I only understood the first half of that so I'll look into it. Thanks.

Ideally I'd love to keep it in CyanogenMod but have the touchwiz camera but Google shows it's pretty much impossible. Not to sound rude, but isn't that the point of android?

Zarbo
Mar 1, 2013

by Ralp
Has anyone found a workaround for wireless/USB tethering for the nexus 5? I found a method to edit the db of the system settings, but all it did was prevent my phone from connecting via USB and the tethering didn't work.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ideally I'd love to keep it in CyanogenMod but have the touchwiz camera but Google shows it's pretty much impossible. Not to sound rude, but isn't that the point of android?

Another point of Android is the ability to download apps. There are replacement cameras on the Play Store that might do what you want.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

nimper posted:

Another point of Android is the ability to download apps. There are replacement cameras on the Play Store that might do what you want.

I couldn't fine anything that resembles the touchwiz camera but I'm open for suggestions

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I couldn't fine anything that resembles the touchwiz camera but I'm open for suggestions

What feature(s) of the Touchwiz camera are you after?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there anything I need to know before I hit "yes, please update CMod to 10.2"? Will it wipe out anything?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

nimper posted:

What feature(s) of the Touchwiz camera are you after?

The one feature I'd really like is the ability to take a photo with the back camera while it also takes one on the front.

In general I just liked the different things it did. Reminded me a lot of the BlackBerry camera.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I had to restore the stock ROM on my SGS2 Hercules. I want root user back, but every time I try to flash a custom recovery and use it to install Superuser, I can't boot into the regular OS anymore and trying to re-load CM gets my phone stuck in a boot loop. I've never even heard of anything like this, how can it be that my phone is fine in a factory setting but won't re-root?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Is there anything I need to know before I hit "yes, please update CMod to 10.2"? Will it wipe out anything?
What are you updating from? If it's just a CM10.2 nightly then no, it will just flash over top and it will be fine. If you're coming from CM10.1, then you're going to have to janitor it a bit. You'll need to wipe the cache, find a 4.3-compatible GApps package, stuff like that. You probably won't have to wipe user data but honestly it couldn't hurt.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

bald and fail II posted:

You can get the Paranoid Android GApps full package and it has the camera app and drivers. It works on any ROM just like any GApps package.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I grabbed the CM 11 milestone, but I can't flash it with TWRP. It says it's unable to open the zip. Why would that be?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hooah posted:

I grabbed the CM 11 milestone, but I can't flash it with TWRP. It says it's unable to open the zip. Why would that be?

The post on the CM blog mentions reports of problems with TWRP and recommends using CWMR. Not sure where the problem lies on that one, but it is apparently known.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 6, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

They mention on their blog that that's an issue with TWRP that people are having. Verify the download size and MD5 and use CWM if necessary.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Has anyone found a 4.3+ ROM/kernel that supports UMS file transfer?

I'm excited about having CM on my phone again, but I don't like using a workaround(airdroid) to transfer files. e: Sort of got around the problem without needing airdroid, possibly just from enabling developer options~

Also, my plan is to somehow get the note3 features on my t889 note2, but it seems complicated unless you have a N7100.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 6, 2013

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Anyone try out CM11 on the Nexus 5 yet? I'm debating whether I want to switch out or not. I've been surprisingly happy with stock, but I miss the half-screen swipe to pull down the toggles, and custom toggles. I'm thinking of staying stock, because I'm less and less confident that CM cares about having quick updates. Each new version of Android seems to be taking longer and longer before the first nightlies arrive.

Is CM11 even on 4.4.1? Or is it still 4.4.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I don't know if that's supposed to be sarcasm but 4.4.1 was released today.

I tried CM11, went back to stock and just booted GEL for Nova Launcher and Widgetsoid. I miss the 2g/3g network toggle (my home is a dead spot in coverage) but other than that I prefer stock.