Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Couple of four packs of BCBS sitting on the shelf in my beer store... guy there let me pick up two of them cus I'm always there. Also picked up an Evil Twin Justin Blabaer cus the guy was raving about it. I wasn't too impressed by the Blabaer though, very one note I thought, not too special, just sour.

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Re: Chicago spots, if you're down around Wicker Park division street area, two spots with awesome beer and food lists are Small Bar on Division and Jerry's Sandwich Shop. They're super close to one another as well.

Small Bar never gets too crowded, but Jerry's might get a little nuts on a weekend night.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

Also does Sheffield's count as a big name bar? I could never quite figure that out, but that's also neighborhoody, I just rarely hear it mentioned. I did always enjoy going there before a Cubs game and paying ~$5 for a good craft beer and about $10 for a BBQ plate and then going to Wrigley and paying $15 for an Old Style and a hot dog.

I'm dating myself here but... when I moved back to the area around 2003, there were basically two well-known beer bars in the city: Maproom and Hopleaf. Even back then, both had a rep for being snobby and having terrible service (my experiences with the latter were much better than the former, personally).

So when friends and I wanted to splurge and drink something other than PBR or Old Style, we'd hit our "secret" spots of Clark St. Ale House (who would have Two Hearted on cask very often) or Sheffield's. The biggest issue with Sheffield's was (still is) it's proximity to Wrigley. At night, even in the off-season, that area gets way crowded and any bar is a mess. But it's a really solid beer bar and has been for many years.

Hassler, I'm going to advise that you avoid Hopleaf and Maproom. If you want a relaxed, neighborhood atmosphere, you're not going to get it at those places. Hopleaf in particular has a wonderful selection but is filled to the brim almost from the moment it opens. Plus, it's pretty far out from city center. Maproom is about as bad with, in general, a worse selection.

And FYI: In Chicago, Beermenus.com is your friend. Almost any bar worth the hassle will update regularly.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Tired Hands is tapping TacoHands today. It's an IPA collaboration they did with Cellarmaker in San Francisco made with lime, cilantro, cumin, coriander, and peppers.

I was actually planning on heading there after work to pick up some growlers of other things so this is an interesting and unusual surprise. I'll report back.

edit - Nevermind, the announcement was for the tapping in San Francisco. They also posted about a chestnut beer they made that's being tapped in NYC. God drat it Tired Hands, stop posting about beer in other places. Tap them in Ardmore.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 3, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

danbanana posted:

I'm dating myself here but... when I moved back to the area around 2003, there were basically two well-known beer bars in the city: Maproom and Hopleaf. Even back then, both had a rep for being snobby and having terrible service (my experiences with the latter were much better than the former, personally).

So when friends and I wanted to splurge and drink something other than PBR or Old Style, we'd hit our "secret" spots of Clark St. Ale House (who would have Two Hearted on cask very often) or Sheffield's. The biggest issue with Sheffield's was (still is) it's proximity to Wrigley. At night, even in the off-season, that area gets way crowded and any bar is a mess. But it's a really solid beer bar and has been for many years.

Hassler, I'm going to advise that you avoid Hopleaf and Maproom. If you want a relaxed, neighborhood atmosphere, you're not going to get it at those places. Hopleaf in particular has a wonderful selection but is filled to the brim almost from the moment it opens. Plus, it's pretty far out from city center. Maproom is about as bad with, in general, a worse selection.

And FYI: In Chicago, Beermenus.com is your friend. Almost any bar worth the hassle will update regularly.

I've only been going to the Maproom since, I dunno, 2008 and I personally still really love that place. Never had a bad service experience, have only been completely crowded out once or twice. Yeah, the selection isn't the greatest anymore, but I like the atmosphere and the prices. I am not sure it's a must hit location as it is, but it's pretty much always delivered for me. Also over the last few years I think the crowds have substantially dropped off as people have moved on to newer venues. Maybe I'm a bit nostalgic because the Maproom is where I really started to uncover the breadth of craft beer, but with a bit of maturity on me, my visit two months ago was as enjoyable for me as when I first started going.

Hopleaf agreed has a better selection, but yeah, it is a complete and utter disaster in terms of crowds.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Anyone had The Event Horizon? Just wondering if any goons have any experience with it. Otherwise going off BA reviews.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Cbear posted:

Anyone had The Event Horizon? Just wondering if any goons have any experience with it. Otherwise going off BA reviews.

One of my favorites, I think it hangs pretty well with BA stouts like KBS or Black Note. After just having a BCBS, not sure I can put it on that level, even as a huge homer of Olde Hickory. I do love the way the honey they use comes through on the finish.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It was sweeter than I would have preferred, but good. I also had their Redeemer DIPA and it's not nearly as good as Death by Hops.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Eejit posted:

I've only been going to the Maproom since, I dunno, 2008 and I personally still really love that place. Never had a bad service experience, have only been completely crowded out once or twice. Yeah, the selection isn't the greatest anymore, but I like the atmosphere and the prices. I am not sure it's a must hit location as it is, but it's pretty much always delivered for me. Also over the last few years I think the crowds have substantially dropped off as people have moved on to newer venues. Maybe I'm a bit nostalgic because the Maproom is where I really started to uncover the breadth of craft beer, but with a bit of maturity on me, my visit two months ago was as enjoyable for me as when I first started going.

Hopleaf agreed has a better selection, but yeah, it is a complete and utter disaster in terms of crowds.

I've had more bad experiences with douchey bartenders at Hopleaf than Map Room, personally. And Map Room is way, way more convenient to get to on public transit. Andersonville is just kind of a pain in the rear end in that regard, unfortunately.

edit:

Cervixalot posted:

Re: Chicago spots, if you're down around Wicker Park division street area, two spots with awesome beer and food lists are Small Bar on Division and Jerry's Sandwich Shop. They're super close to one another as well.

Small Bar never gets too crowded, but Jerry's might get a little nuts on a weekend night.

Don't forget Bangers & Lace. It sounds like a strip club, but it's a great beer bar. Just avoid their ludicrously priced bottles.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 3, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CO goons, Wilbur's in Ft Collins posted on Facebook that they're getting Abyss today.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Really BA? You have to resort to this kind of poo poo to get attention for your non sold out festival? :rolleyes:

e:
http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/event-notifications-ba-invites.134412/

air- fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 3, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Awwwww gently caress, I was so excited...

el Catador Club posted:

We are bummed to report that we will be cancelling the sales for Amplitude tomorrow for El Catador Club.

This decision was made when our lab found some strains of lactobacillus on the plates swabbed from our brite tank, the vessel used to carbonate the beer shortly before bottling. Lactobacillus is great for our Berliner Weisse and the upcoming Sour Guava Grove, as it aids in souring the beer. In Amplitude, a big rich barrel-aged doppelbock, it'd be a disaster.

We are going to stress test some bottles and see if there are any more signs of infection. Hopefully it was just a minor scare, but until we know for sure, Amplitude bottle sales are cancelled.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

air- posted:

Really BA? You have to resort to this kind of poo poo to get attention for your non sold out festival? :rolleyes:

e:
http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/event-notifications-ba-invites.134412/

Didn't that festival sell out in a matter of hours last year? Gee, I wonder why people aren't as interested this time around...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

To be fair, they were selling something like 8000 tickets and the two best sessions sold out in about an hour. The rest of the forum tickets and the first Saturday session were sold out by the next day. What's left are tickets at the very beginning and very end of the festival, and they just aren't good slots. I'm no BA apologist, but selling several thousand tickets in a day or two is a pretty big achievement.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also it's at a new venue that's like 10x the size of where it's been in previous years.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

The trade offers for Proprietor's are truly ludicrous right now. Here's a guy offering a loving Framboos for two: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ft-3f-2011-framboos-iso-2-x-proprietors.134660/

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

The trade offers for Proprietor's are truly ludicrous right now. Here's a guy offering a loving Framboos for two: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ft-3f-2011-framboos-iso-2-x-proprietors.134660/

Still not sure if this was serious.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Still not sure if this was serious.

Granted, that dude is in Belgium so being international, he'd have to offer something pretty massive compared to the already massive US offers. Also, IIRC, that guy has dozens of bottles of 50N and Fou. Fou in particular is a 6 bottle limit at the brewery that lasts weeks or months when it comes out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Me in Reverse posted:

Awwwww gently caress, I was so excited...

I hope this doesn't mean they're done messing with bugs in their beer again.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I hope this doesn't mean they're done messing with bugs in their beer again.

Me either, Don Gavino was excellent, and I can't wait to try sour guava grove.

This totally makes me respect CCB even more. A lot of breweries would just release infectedCentral Watersbottles, or undercarbedLost Abbeyones, and not give a drat that they were releasing an inferior product. It's nice to see a brewery care about their product enough to put quality control over dollars.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Has anyone gone to the PtY release before, or intend to this year? I have the following week off and am debating it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Me in Reverse posted:

Has anyone gone to the PtY release before, or intend to this year? I have the following week off and am debating it.

Not worth going to.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I don't know much about PtY, is that the only way to get it? Is it a decent beer with ridiculous hype because of that or is it worthy?

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

umop apisdn posted:

This totally makes me respect CCB even more. A lot of breweries would just release infectedCentral Watersbottles, or undercarbedLost Abbeyones, and not give a drat that they were releasing an inferior product. It's nice to see a brewery care about their product enough to put quality control over dollars.

To be fair, those Central Waters ones seem to take some time to happen.. hopefully the next batch of Peruvian Morning is safe from all that, but we shall see (didn't get any bad ones this year at all thankfully).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

"They're infected from the get go, but you can't tell for a while" isn't a "to be fair".

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't know much about PtY, is that the only way to get it? Is it a decent beer with ridiculous hype because of that or is it worthy?

It's only available on draft from a random assortment of bars throughout the RR distribution map. It's a fine DIPA but like PtE, ridiculously over hyped.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

umop apisdn posted:

Central Waters announced a recall for the 2012 bottling but, to my knowledge, haven't done a loving thing about 2013. Sigh.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

It's not brewery-only but it is draft-only and the HUGEST HYPE MACHINE EVER. So generally you have to go wait in a huge line for hours, pay $10 for a 2oz pour and the keg kicks within a few minutes. It is a really great beer but having had it once I've never made the effort to do so again.

Disclaimer: I'm spoiled cause the one time I had Younger it was at a poorly advertised event in a hole-in-the-wall bar where they poured full pints for like $5. Surprisingly that place has since gone out of business.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Docjowles posted:

wait in a huge line for hours, pay $10 for a 2oz pour and the keg kicks within a few minutes.

Yeah gently caress that. Maybe I'll go when it's not PtY season, I'd still like to visit RR.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Me in Reverse posted:

Yeah gently caress that. Maybe I'll go when it's not PtY season, I'd still like to visit RR.

I hear the waits are not that bad if you go on a weekday near opening. But I cannot possibly imagine PtY being better than Heady Topper.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Me in Reverse posted:

I assume you are talking about going to Monk's. Expect to wait in line for at least 2 hours prior to opening to be able to make it in, and pay $15 dollars a glass. On the other hand, all of the money goes to charity.

It's definitely not worth it, other than to say you've done it once. But Monk's does usually put on several interesting beers alongside of PtY (this year it was a side by side of Black Damnation Single Black and Double Black).

Also, I don't think PtY is particularly good, or even better than PtE. It's just a huge simcoe bomb. You'll like it if you loooove simcoe.

cryme fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 3, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

Disclaimer: I'm spoiled cause the one time I had Younger it was at a poorly advertised event in a hole-in-the-wall bar where they poured full pints for like $5. Surprisingly that place has since gone out of business.

Also spoiled by having it a in pretty hole-in-the-wall bar pouring 12 oz. glasses for $5. But it was happy hour, so it was $1 less than normal. And it was Toronado. And it was probably a week old at that time, which means any opinion I have of it (it's really good but not worth standing in a line more than 20 minutes for) is probably tainted. Because it obviously needs to be drank within 6 hours of leaving the fermenter.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

cryme posted:

I assume you are talking about going to Monk's. Expect to wait in line for at least 2 hours prior to opening to be able to make it in, and pay $15 dollars a glass. On the other hand, all of the money goes to charity.

It's definitely not worth it, other than to say you've done it once. But Monk's does usually put on several interesting beers alongside of PtY (this year it was a side by side of Black Damnation Single Black and Double Black).

No, I meant Russian River :haw:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Me in Reverse posted:

No, I meant Russian River :haw:

I could barely be bothered to make the trip to Monk's again, so I certainly wouldn't suggest you travel to Santa Rosa for it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So we got Backwoods Bastard in. $10.99 for a 4 pack. Get it guys.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oooh. SmallBar Division is tapping a bunch of FSW beers tomorrow including XVII, I think I'll stop by to try it before cracking my bottle. Good thing I am working from home and live nearby haha.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

So we got Backwoods Bastard in. $10.99 for a 4 pack. Get it guys.

loving Little Bros in Flemington is selling singles only for $3.99 a bottle. Ridiculous. I wish your store wasn't such a hike - can't do a 2 hour round trip for beer this week :(

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So for those potentially going to Revolution on Friday night, here's some more details from my mug club email:

quote:

Mean Gene and Bean Gene are getting bottled this week. To celebrate, we're hosting a "Geneology" bottle release at our tap room this Friday, Dec. 6 at 5pm.

Stop by to get your bottles of Mean Gene ($13) and Bean Gene ($15) starting at 5pm.

You'll also have a chance to meet other members of our Gene Pool, including Boy Gene and Blue Gene, which we'll be pouring at the tap room bar. We'll also have some food available, so come hang with us this Friday!

Also out this week: Rise American Stout, our 2012 World Beer Cup gold medal winner, in 22-ounce bottles.

Also,

quote:

Coming in January 2014: A Little Crazy Belgian-style pale ale in cans & Straight Jacket barley wine

I regret not buying a lot more Straight Jacket when it came out last year, so I'm hoping that the upcoming release means bottles so I can restock.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Going to Russian River for the Younger is more about the whole experience than the beer. I went this year and waited like 6 hours, I was with friends and we were partying in line so it was ok. Am I going next year? gently caress no. Actually I would go but just hang out and drink in line for like 2 hours and then leave or go somewhere else. The atmosphere in the pub and in line is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I tend to not get excited for IPAs, I'd probably wait in line to try Younger just for the fact that it's one of two top 25 beer that I haven't ticked (along with Kern Citra...).