Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Tommofork posted:

The built in workshop at Snyder is a machine shop, i.e. good. It's not a wasted slot.

Quoting this from 2 pages ago to admit that this is quite correct, contrary to what I said earlier. I set up at Snyder again just now and realised that the only explicit mention of it being a machine shop anywhere is on the menu option to clean it up. It is totally a machine shop, though. My bad. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's actually even better. It's a machine shop that does doubles duty as a munitions workshop. The only reason to build another workshop in Snyder's is if one doesn't make stuff fast enough for you.

I've got three. Whistling box mines for everybody! :getin:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
A thing happened to me on my first non-bugged Breakdown try. I get a call to do a lookout thing at the comm tower by the first town. I thought it was going to bug out on me as I couldn't find the last ? to look at. Turns out, it was on the ground by the tower! So I ID it and it's a Feral, and it's inside the fence. I climb down and jump off the ladder, hit the Feral once to 'stun' it I guess, and jump the fence and sprint through the fast food joint I had just cleared to the taxi I left on the other side of it (I guess I'm still cocky from the story mode). I get in the car and try to drive off, only to hit a pebble or something and have the car go in the air like I'm trying to jump a ravine, and the Feral is charging at me. It was charging at me so hard, that it managed to be right under the car when it landed. gently caress you, Feral. gently caress you to hell!

Also, a coward character insisted on hunting a bigun and got torn apart, and some neighbor in north town wants to go hunting zombies in the south town.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there a mod that lets you permanently take back the area? As in fill up all the safehouses with survivors, cleared outposts stay forever etc.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Godmachine posted:

I'm having a pain on Breakdown 3. I started with my usual character and my radio girl. This time, there was no notification of group letting us stay with them. So I haul rear end to the Alamo since it doesn't require a minimum population. Been here for about 2 1/2 hours in game and I still have been able to recruit anyone. I'm calling for survivors, doing side missions, etc. It's slow going because my ONE guy keeps getting exhausted.

gently caress.
You realize you can bring more than just one playable character on the RV, right? If so, then I applaud your bravery!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
So, quick.question. After you install Breakdown, do some of the new items spawn in the main story game? Like that sweet industrial cutter, for example.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Tibeerius posted:

You realize you can bring more than just one playable character on the RV, right? If so, then I applaud your bravery!
Ye- wait what? You can? How? I've only gotten to level 2 because I have trouble resisting the urge to really settle down instead of getting RV supplies and leaving but when I reset the only person I ended up with was the survivor I had been playing as when I reset (which wasn't even the one I wanted to take :( I had a fitness instructor with reflexes that I'd been pruning to become my new lead)

Potato Jones posted:

I wish there were more voices in general, even if they were saying the same lines. It might be a little ambitious, but I would love a mod where each player character personality was done in, like, two more voices, just for variety.
That's one of the few criticisms I have of the game. I'm getting really tired of only seeming to hear 2 different female voices with one of them being Sam's. Also, is it a glitch or could they really not get the original voice actors back to voice the hero characters? I've gotten Eli Wilkerson and Pastor Alan, both of whom have the voice of Lily's brother which I guess can be ignored with Eli but hearing a young man's voice out of a rather out of shape preacher is kind of odd.

Edit: Also, has anyone else been getting a graphical glitch where occasionally blood splatters from attacks (usually zombies attacking you but sometimes the other way around) where it just looks like a spray of large white octagons come out instead? Seems like some kind of missing texture but most of the time it works fine...

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 3, 2013

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Feeble posted:

Ye- wait what? You can? How?

Seems to be a common thing people don't realize. From earlier in the thread:

Tibeerius posted:

This took me a while to figure out as well (and I even watched the livestream!). Once you make the decision to load up the RV, you need to talk to the people you wish to carry over; an option will be added to their usual dialog choices. You can load up something like 6 survivors. People who are already on the RV have their portraits updated in the notebook interface, where you can also choose to pull them off the RV in case you change your mind.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mental Midget posted:

Seems to be a common thing people don't realize. From earlier in the thread:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck I only had 9 survivors when I reset and I can already think of who I'd ditch right off the top of my head. Man, I really wish I'd known that in advance. I assume you can also bring along heroes as well?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
My original post contained an error: You don't have to enter conversations to load people into the RV. Here is a more accurate version (I have also modified my original post):

Once you make the decision to load up the RV and move on to the next difficulty level, you have the option to carry over approximately 5 survivors (plus Lily and your current active character). In order to load other survivors into the RV you must either:
- Talk to the people you wish to carry over; an option will be added to their usual dialog choices.
- Use the survivor interface in the notebook, select the survivor, then press the Y button ("E" on PC).

People who are already on the RV have their portraits updated in the notebook interface, where you can also choose to pull them off the RV in case you change your mind. Lily is automatically loaded and locked into the RV; you can observe the change in her portrait the moment you decide to "move on".

Be sure to sort out their inventory before you leave, because you'll start with almost no influence and won't be able to shuffle things around freely.

If anyone can provide me with more details regarding the number of survivors, or on the proper XBox button, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm mulling over making a Breakdown FAQ suitable for the OP (since Johnny Retro is still checking the thread), but I'm a bit hampered in my playtime at the moment to check on stuff ingame.

Edit: Updated to reflect Mister Bates' post below.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 3, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Feeble posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck I only had 9 survivors when I reset and I can already think of who I'd ditch right off the top of my head. Man, I really wish I'd known that in advance. I assume you can also bring along heroes as well?

Yeah, you can bring along anyone. I brought my SWAT hero and Sgt. Tan, who are currently taking shifts on the watchtower and doing an amazing job of totally shredding anything that approaches the base. On the Xbox, once you've started to load the RV, you just select their portrait in the community view and press 'Y'; there should be an icon saying 'Send to RV' or something indicating that you can do so. Once that's done, their portrait should grey out with the label 'in RV'. Once you have the full load, Lily will let you know, and then you can leave whenever.

Be sure to sort out their inventory before you leave, because you'll start with almost no influence and won't be able to shuffle things around freely.

I think you can bring along whichever character you're playing as when you leave, five additional survivors in the RV, and Lily, for a total of seven - plus you automatically get a free hero every time you advance a Breakdown level, for a total of 8.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm itching to get home and play today and see if I can't finagle the dodges using Tommofork's tips. I'm also debating giving up on mouse and keyboard for this. I prefer mouse aiming, but it seems it might be easier to reach the various buttons at twitch speed on my 360 controller, and giving that I do mostly melee fighting anyway because silencers are a finite resource and so are bullets.

That said, Maya went and soloed a screamer infestation with her... whatever the 7.62 rifle is. Mosin? And two molotovs. And got six molotovs and a new outpost for the trouble. :getin:

And other miscellaneous knickknacks.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tibeerius posted:

Once you make the decision to load up the RV and move on to the next difficulty level, you have the option to carry over approximately 5 survivors (plus Lily and your current active character).

Dunno if its different on higher levels, but the move from level 1 to 2 is 5 characters total including Lily. You get the person you're controlling, Lily, and 3 more survivors for a total of 5 population (4 playable).

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

bitcoin bastard posted:

Dunno if its different on higher levels, but the move from level 1 to 2 is 5 characters total including Lily. You get the person you're controlling, Lily, and 3 more survivors for a total of 5 population (4 playable).

Nope, I'm on level 5 and it's always the same. 5 people + the character you're controlling + Lily. You're always starting the next difficulty level with 7 people total.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Well then what the hell, my game wouldn't let me add any more than 3 people to the RV. Sucks, I had to leave behind a construction dude (picked medicine over construction for what I thought was my last spot) and now everything is taking forever to construct on level 2.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Do NPC's collect vehicles in simulation mode? I started up the game today to find that all of the nearby vehicles were parked neatly at nearby parking slots.

Also, does anyone know what the "away from home" status actually does? I have NPC's randomly go into that state, and I was wondering if they're supposed to be foraging or something. Would be nice if I wasn't the only one doing work automatically in active play.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Archonex posted:

Do NPC's collect vehicles in simulation mode? I started up the game today to find that all of the nearby vehicles were parked neatly at nearby parking slots.

Also, does anyone know what the "away from home" status actually does? I have NPC's randomly go into that state, and I was wondering if they're supposed to be foraging or something. Would be nice if I wasn't the only one doing work automatically in active play.

They park them when they get repaired overnight. Away from home means they can be pulled back - not sure what they're doing, but probably finding missions like clear infestation or whatnot.

I would pay another :10bux: easy to have 2 more non valley maps for breakdown mode :ohdear: Valley, industrial hellhole/cityscape, beach front/resort like Dead Island.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Archonex posted:

I think it represents them being out foraging or whatever. In the current version you can order people who are away from home to 'Check In' over the radio by selecting their portrait, and it will make a map marker showing their current location in the game world appear. I've done it a couple of times and they've always been out in random locations scouting or whatever (locations that have always turned out to have good loot, so good for them).

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

Well then what the hell, my game wouldn't let me add any more than 3 people to the RV.

They probably weren't in your home base or they were waiting for you to start their mission somewhere. Only survivors that aren't doing anything can be added to the RV.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

gently caress the ROW posted:

They park them when they get repaired overnight. Away from home means they can be pulled back - not sure what they're doing, but probably finding missions like clear infestation or whatnot.

I would pay another :10bux: easy to have 2 more non valley maps for breakdown mode :ohdear: Valley, industrial hellhole/cityscape, beach front/resort like Dead Island.

I'm hoping that the second DLC is some kind of map customization/creator or just another map to play Breakdown on. The story mode was atrocious but I never noticed how bad it was because I was having too much fun with everything else in the game.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'm hoping that the second DLC is some kind of map customization/creator or just another map to play Breakdown on. The story mode was atrocious but I never noticed how bad it was because I was having too much fun with everything else in the game.

Yeah I like the valley itself, two more valley quality maps that could get cycled or randomed in breakdown would be perfect.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

gently caress the ROW posted:

Unspecified eastern European country...

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

Well then what the hell, my game wouldn't let me add any more than 3 people to the RV. Sucks, I had to leave behind a construction dude (picked medicine over construction for what I thought was my last spot) and now everything is taking forever to construct on level 2.
Perhaps you can only carry over playable (i.e. "Friend") survivors?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

They probably weren't in your home base or they were waiting for you to start their mission somewhere. Only survivors that aren't doing anything can be added to the RV.

I was watching the available buttons on the left side of the portrait when I was doing this. (I actually had to go check in with 2 people to get them on the RV). Maybe they were on mission and I just spaced it.

Oh well, I kinda want to go back and cheese level 1 again anyway. I'm starting to realize how awesome the mines are, I need to go set up at Snyder's and make a pile of them while its still easy to stripmine all of Marshall.

Edit: ^^^ Everyone in my camp was a friend except Lily at this point.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 3, 2013

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Another very helpful hint for starting a new level that someone posted earlier: load up your current character with high-influence loot from your stash before you leave in the RV, then immediately put it all back in on the new map. Since you start with 0 influence on map change this is extremely helpful as you can immediately bring another survivor with you as back-up in your initial search for a vehicle/homebase. This also gives you enough influence to immediately set up 3-4 outposts without having to scavenge first, which helps with the 4-5 hordes that seem to immediately spawn and head for your new home base as soon as you get set up.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Been playing story mode for the last day and half since getting the game. Love it to (un)death.

I got a small scare when I ran over a pack of zombies and my stamina and health began dropping, while gas poured out of the entire vehicle. Had to dive out. I guess I hit a bloated zombie!? :ohdear:

I haven't lost anyone yet aside from the Pastor and I kicked Alan out when he got sick. I then got a mission to check out a new group of survivors. It was Alan alone in a house. :smug:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Story mode for me it looks like the bottle neck is going to be food. Also, apparently, I either raided more places than I thought I did, or some scavengers went over things in the middle of the night because the first town is almost entirely picked over, and I KNOW I left most of the rucksacks of food and fuel.

Also, apparently some people went hungry? Even though I had max food?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So does anyone know where the mod tools are? The forums are still down if i'm not mistaken, so it's a pain to find them.

Was looking to see if I could expand on survivor NPC functionality (IE: Let them use guns out in the world, make them more active, see if there's a way to get them to scavenge on their own, make enclaves more than just merchants and mission givers, etc etc.) but the config files aren't readable.

I assume someone's found a way around this since the Romero mod exists.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I wish I could load up a pickup truck with supplies rather than schlepping them one backpack at a time.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Hakarne posted:

Another very helpful hint for starting a new level that someone posted earlier: load up your current character with high-influence loot

Only your current character keeps items right?

I wish I could find a Leader like I had in the story mode. Had born leader, fast hands, whatever the + to shooting was, and Reflexes. He was a beast, and unstoppable when I gave him the p90.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Athanatos posted:

Only your current character keeps items right?

They all do, the only items you lose are what's in the hands of the people who stay behind.

I've lost a few characters so far, Ed had to be shot in the head before he turned, and I took the Pastor for a walk to make him less scared and got him ripped to shreds (though he did smash a molotov open and take them with him at the end, RIP fat man) but had one die while I was controlling them at last. Powerhouse, Born Leader, funky hair, I was grooming him to lead everyone into the promised land :(

Two hero characters that are actually really good are Becca and the judge. Becca starts 7-starred at fighting and can give your crew matching tattoos to help team spirit, and the judge is ace at shooting and has the good negotiator perk too.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

This game has been great enough that I can ignore a few of the bugs, like getting the character getting caught on a curb. I swear I've completed the "The Father" challenge twice now, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. May be related to my Munitions Shop not recognizing I have a Med Lab. Anyway I'll find out for sure when I complete it a third time after tracking each improvement.

It's annoying that they tease the potential home sites without fences. I'm hoping in DLC 2 the introduce a new map or let you choose anywhere for a homesite, maybe allowing you to build and place our own walls/fences. I'm also annoyed that I can't at least load up one or two rucksacks of resources in a trunk or truck bed when doing a scavenging run, or even have the survivor accompanying me carry resources as well, since it makes the game feel a bit grindy to run back and forth to the same building to collect everything. But it seems that won't be much of a problem in the later levels.
And also, I've found two bugs that I expect will help balance that inconvenience.

When you find a resource, if you call for a scavenger first, then pick it up yourself, the scavenger will still turn in what you picked up, unless there is another of the same resource in the same building. But you can still drop the first rucksack and pick up the second resource, since runners don't pick up the rucksack.

I've also found that if you call to establish an outpost, then immediately access the resource while Lily is jabbering, you can then do the first bug. I haven't checked this one out too much, but I swear the outpost is still generating the resource even though there isn't one left in the building, and I got double resource.

This game has a lot of potential, and there are so many things they can do better, that I'm sort of disappointed that they're jumping on the MMO so quickly.

Anyway, I've got some nice survivors all leveled up, cardio up on most (I've got two pack-a-day guys), and leader/fitness and cook/construction persons. I feel like I'm getting well prepared for level 5. But I'm thinking of keeping my group small when I get there - no helping other groups, just keeping my own group going.

Drighton fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 4, 2013

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Drighton posted:

It's annoying that they tease the potential home sites without fences.

That's not a tease. Home sites without fences are places that the RV can spawn in when you start a new difficulty level.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Drighton posted:

But I'm thinking of keeping my group small when I get there - no helping other groups, just keeping my own group going.

This is why this game is amazing. It's not just "oh I better go superman it up and save everyone else." Sometimes you need to go "gently caress it" and worry about your own group, and even singular people IN your group.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Athanatos posted:

This is why this game is amazing. It's not just "oh I better go superman it up and save everyone else." Sometimes you need to go "gently caress it" and worry about your own group, and even singular people IN your group.

Yeah I like the Kirkman Residence for a small group. Seems more defensible of the smaller homesites, especially compared to the larger homesites. Just too easy to clear the Spencer's Mill and have to travel for all your other resources, though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Haven't done it yet, but it looks like settling Kirkman first, then Snyder might be the way to go. Clear out Spencer's Mill and maybe Fairfield from Kirkman house, then move down to Snyder and clear out Marshall west to east.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Drighton posted:

Yeah I like the Kirkman Residence for a small group. Seems more defensible of the smaller homesites, especially compared to the larger homesites. Just too easy to clear the Spencer's Mill and have to travel for all your other resources, though.

Starting in Kirkman, hitting the most important resource spots and gathering a few more survivors then setting up in the fairground of firearms has a good flow to it.

After way too much time playing story mode/level 1 it's really disconcerting at level 5 to have the old dependable sites in Spencers Mill turn up empty though.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Vitamin P posted:

I've lost a few characters so far, Ed had to be shot in the head before he turned

I've had a few guys get sick but never had anyone turn, but then again I also upgraded to the Infirmay almost immediately. Is there any indicator someone is going to turn other than "SICK"? If not that's terrifying.

(This is in reference to Breakdown)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Just unlocked Sam and she doesn't have Nimble in Breakdown. :argh: I finally moved past breakdown 2. My RV started next to the fair grounds... hello military stashes.

Feeble posted:

Edit: Also, has anyone else been getting a graphical glitch where occasionally blood splatters from attacks (usually zombies attacking you but sometimes the other way around) where it just looks like a spray of large white octagons come out instead? Seems like some kind of missing texture but most of the time it works fine...

I've been getting this occasionally. Not sure why, I never noticed it happening pre-Breakdown.

Drighton posted:

I haven't checked this one out too much, but I swear the outpost is still generating the resource even though there isn't one left in the building, and I got double resource.

I don't think that's a bug, apparently outposts changed from how they worked originally. Outposts cost 1 material each day to generate 3 resources and you can clean out the place as soon as you establish the outpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Even if you don't get injured that much, do not neglect building an infirmary. Make it the first thing you build. I'm on Breakdown level 2 with a huge group at Snyder's, and half the community is out of commission with the flu after someone caught it on a scavenging run and it spread like wildfire around the camp. You can still play as sick characters, but they have huge stat penalties.

• Locked thread