Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

The real best quote from the 9/23/96 Observer:

Stipulations reached perfection in 1996.

Edit: Wow there are some great tidbits in this issue.

I wonder if they were going to do a disputed finish at Havoc to vacate the belt and thus signed Piper with an agreement he could beat Hogan since it would be non title. Then, they do an about face and keep the belt on Hogan (he probably balked at vacating) and thus are left with Piper being told he can go over Hogan but Hogan holding the title. That would explain the Starrcade idiocy.

I liked this one:

quote:

Speaking of Swiss cheese booking, the WCW world title will be declared vacant after Havoc once again with the belt going to the winner of another 60 man three ring Battle Royal at World War III. The working plan (subject to change) is to declare the world title vacant every November and make the Battle Royal an annual event. We can only hope for good matches on the undercard.

Having watched WW3 a couple weeks ago. This is the worst loving idea. That match was terrible and impossible to follow. I'm actually surprised they didn't go through with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Wouldn't surprise that once 1998 was over they stopped doing World War 3 for that very reason. I think it was one of their least popular pay-per views.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

World War 3 is like the Royal Rumble if you took out all the good parts of the royal rumble. Just a clusterfuck of faceless people ramming into each other.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The whole WW3 concept is one of those sounds cool on paper, 3 rings, loads of wrestlers but then in execution the visual isn't as good and as mentioned you cannot follow really whats going on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I usually don't look at recaps of Nitro before we watch them, but I am glad I did. Tonight's episodes are crazy!

Two Regal matches that get time, including one with Dean Malenko. Dean Malenko is also in two matches, one is with David Sammartino of all people. Think that's weird? Well, 911 debuts in WCW (no he doesn't wrestle against either Big Bubba or One Man Gang) Mr. JL wrestles Rey, Chono wrestles Jericho, more nWo members are revealed and the Sting saga continues! These shows look to be legitimately really good, so I am excited.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

The Croc posted:

The whole WW3 concept is one of those sounds cool on paper, 3 rings, loads of wrestlers but then in execution the visual isn't as good and as mentioned you cannot follow really whats going on.

When I was a kid, WW3 was one of those things I had never seen but read about in magazines and stuff. Sounded like the *coolest* thing ever.

When I got back into wrestling & started DVD trading/collecting, I finally got my first WW3 event to see what it was all about, and man, It was the coolest thingholyshitthatwasnotwhatIexpected. Garbage

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It looks like in march wwe is going to release a best of wcw ppv matches. What does everyone think will be on it or want to see on it? I'm hoping for one ww3 match just so I can finally see it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Two Regal matches that get time, including one with Dean Malenko. Dean Malenko is also in two matches,
That is the sound of me saying "Sorry honey, Breaking Bad is canceled tonight."

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

That is the sound of me saying "Sorry honey, Breaking Bad is canceled tonight."

this could be grounds for divorce, you know.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We're not married yet, but the mental image of her stuffing her clothes into her suitcase, crying hysterically, throwing the high heels I bought her at me, shrieking "If you love Ciclope so much why don't you marry him"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Lots of people in this thread wanting to see what a world war 3 match looks like, so here I've decided to put up this reasonable facsimile:

Of course, I had to use WWF gifs because no one ever made a gif of a WCW battle royal. The WCW cameras didn't have nearly those good of angles.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The American Dream posted:

It looks like in march wwe is going to release a best of wcw ppv matches. What does everyone think will be on it or want to see on it? I'm hoping for one ww3 match just so I can finally see it

Monster truck match.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

Lots of people in this thread wanting to see what a world war 3 match looks like, so here I've decided to put up this reasonable facsimile:

Of course, I had to use WWF gifs because no one ever made a gif of a WCW battle royal. The WCW cameras didn't have nearly those good of angles.
The gifsoup watermark really adds to the effect.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

My cousins and I listened to the audio of World War 3 '98 over the cable scrambles and it sounded like the most exciting thing ever. A few days later we watched it on a friend's VHS recording and were tremendously disappointed by the triple split screen. I can't believe I thought that Kevin Nash winning that debacle was incredibly cool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tokelau All Star posted:

My cousins and I listened to the audio of World War 3 '98 over the cable scrambles and it sounded like the most exciting thing ever. A few days later we watched it on a friend's VHS recording and were tremendously disappointed by the triple split screen. I can't believe I thought that Kevin Nash winning that debacle was incredibly cool.

Listening to scramblevision was the only way you could be fooled (other than being a WCW announcer) into thinking that the fake Sting that night was Sting.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I actually watched a WW3 PPV (must've been either '98 or '99) for free at a friend's house because he had a de-scrambler. I kinda vaguely remember still wanting my money back afterwards for some reason. That GIF up above is a good representation of the complete chaos and confusion that took place.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 4, 2013

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I've always wanted to see a WW3 match live. At least that would have to be pretty cool, right?... Right??

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

haljordan posted:

I actually watched a WW3 PPV (must've been either '98 or '99) for free at a friend's house because he had a de-scrambler. I kinda vaguely remember still wanting my money back afterwards for some reason. That GIF up above is a good representation of the complete chaos and confusion that took place.

But imagine instead of hard cameras they use ringside handhelds shooting up between the ropes

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Listening to scramblevision was the only way you could be fooled (other than being a WCW announcer) into thinking that the fake Sting that night was Sting.
There was a fake Sting that year at WW3? Real Sting took off after his match with Bret at Havok and didn't come back until Spring Stampede, long after the Wolfpac had broken up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

We're not married yet, but the mental image of her stuffing her clothes into her suitcase, crying hysterically, throwing the high heels I bought her at me, shrieking "If you love Ciclope so much why don't you marry him"

You'll never understand the deep connection of trust that I have with Ciclope :colbert:

WAIT A MINUTE..... :aaa:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

There was a fake Sting that year at WW3? Real Sting took off after his match with Bret at Havok and didn't come back until Spring Stampede, long after the Wolfpac had broken up.

I guess I am thinking of 97 when Nash (or Hogan? or both?) dressed up as Sting.

In other news: Nitro in half an hour! http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 4, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I guess I am thinking of 97 when Nash (or Hogan? or both?) dressed up as Sting.

I refuse to believe it was anything other than both.

How long till we get to The Night of 1000 Stings anyway? That was genuinely awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I refuse to believe it was anything other than both.

How long till we get to The Night of 1000 Stings anyway? That was genuinely awesome.

Unfortunately we are about 11 months away from that, so late summer of next year if we keep up the present pace :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Unfortunately we are about 11 months away from that, so late summer of next year if we keep up the present pace :(

Oh well, something to look forward to I guess!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

911 debuts in WCW (no he doesn't wrestle against either Big Bubba or One Man Gang

Out of everyone in ECW at that time, why the gently caress did they sign 911?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

tall

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

They hired everybody.

They hired the repo man to do a lovely golfer gimmick that he did like three times on their C show in the early 90's and he had a job till WCW closed.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gonzo McFee posted:

They hired everybody.

They hired the repo man to do a lovely golfer gimmick that he did like three times on their C show in the early 90's and he had a job till WCW closed.

Hey now, Barry "Hole In One" Darsow was awesome and I won't have you talking poo poo about him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He challenged people to putting contests in the ring, then when they went to putt he'd hit them with a club. That is the best gimmick ever.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Who the hell was 911 in wcw? I remember seeing him briefly in ecw then he disappeared.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Well, that was some creepy as hell Benoit footage.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Who the hell was 911 in wcw? I remember seeing him briefly in ecw then he disappeared.

Dude, he was Big Al, purveyor of close shaves.

Edit actually I checked, he wasn't the same Big Al. WCW had two different guys named Big Al. Talk about originality.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

CombineThresher posted:

Heyman was great at hiding guys weaknesses?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's disappointing. All that farting around with signing everybody and their cousin, but we never got Tank Abbott vs. New Jack in WCW.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Probably the same reason that Damien Kane was under a WCW contract at some point. Pretty much everyone from ECW got at least a tryout match.

Nitro also ran Philly the night after Barely Legal, I remember 911 was on that show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Wasn't it revealed that Todd Gordon was working with WCW as every ECW wrestler they hired he got a cut?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't it revealed that Todd Gordon was working with WCW as every ECW wrestler they hired he got a cut?

Yep.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jerusalem posted:

Was that Jeff Jarrett forcing Sting to fight a bunch of (really bad looking) fake Stings, each from a different era? I've only ever seen it once, like a day after it happened, so I never remember the details.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Red posted:

Was that Jeff Jarrett forcing Sting to fight a bunch of (really bad looking) fake Stings, each from a different era? I've only ever seen it once, like a day after it happened, so I never remember the details.

Nope, that's the night that the nWo went down to the ring and called out Sting, and one by one fake Sting after fake Sting after fake Sting came down through the crowd and took a beating by a laughing nWo.... until suddenly one of them didn't take the bump and they realized,"Oh poo poo it's the real Sting CHEESE IT! :gonk:"

It loving owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jerusalem posted:

Nope, that's the night that the nWo went down to the ring and called out Sting, and one by one fake Sting after fake Sting after fake Sting came down through the crowd and took a beating by a laughing nWo.... until suddenly one of them didn't take the bump and they realized,"Oh poo poo it's the real Sting CHEESE IT! :gonk:"

It loving owned.

Whoa! That sounds glorious, I can't believe I've never seen it.