Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Zonekeeper posted:

Agreed on the "gently caress purists" sentiment. Anyone should be able to have the tremolo/bridge/body combination of their choosing even if it isn't traditional. I also feel compelled to inform you about the existence of Telemasters.

I think people know bout telemasters here by now. And they exist in colors and patterns designed to piss off everyone from bluesdads to emos.

Still, there's nothing quite like a nice LP, is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zonekeeper posted:

Agreed on the "gently caress purists" sentiment. Anyone should be able to have the tremolo/bridge/body combination of their choosing even if it isn't traditional. I also feel compelled to inform you about the existence of Telemasters.

I'm building a Telemaster for my next project :3: (or my next-next project, I might be giving my dad my single humbucker Squier so that he can finally learn electric guitar/play Rocksmith and I would need to build/modify a replacement single pickup guitar).

Probably a pine body (not butcher block since I sadly don't have machining tools and I'm not confident in my hand carving or routing skills) and a rosewood/maple neck and some neovin Tele pickups. my future bb :h::h::h:

Warcabbit posted:

I think people know bout telemasters here by now. And they exist in colors and patterns designed to piss off everyone from bluesdads to emos.

I've strongly considered picking up a Xaviere TM but I'd really rather build one myself. It's more fun that way.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a HT-1, and it sounds great by itself both clean and overdriven. If I try to put a distortion of any kind infront of it, it starts to sound flubby and shite. If I use the line-out into headphones, it goes back to sounding awesome again. Am I correct in assuming this is a limitation of the 8" speaker? I have an old bass combo with a 15" speaker that I could attempt to add a socket to, would that work?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

I have a HT-1, and it sounds great by itself both clean and overdriven. If I try to put a distortion of any kind infront of it, it starts to sound flubby and shite. If I use the line-out into headphones, it goes back to sounding awesome again. Am I correct in assuming this is a limitation of the 8" speaker? I have an old bass combo with a 15" speaker that I could attempt to add a socket to, would that work?

Probably. Eight inch speakers are bad at handling bass frequencies and your distortion is probably adding more than your speaker can handle.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

This is strange, I have the same amp and run a bunch of pedals into and it sounds great - they are generally a rat and an sd1 (which both cut an amount of bass, I think), not huge fuzzes though. Sounds weird, but maybe try running the volume lower on the pedal? You could be running the input too hot. The gain on the amp over half with a pedal sounds pretty bad unless its a booster or od. I also find that with the eq knob to the left (i think its meant to be the american style eq) the amp has much tighter bass.

That said, I've done the exact same thing (add a jack to the back of a lovely 12" combo to use as a cab) and the improvement is pretty great. Adding a socket is one of the easiest electronic things you can do as well!

On another note, I have a standard candy apple squier tele I can't get rid of. I hate the colour in general, with a white pickguard it looks like a toy. Gonna do it up - I'm thinking a red tortoiseshell pickguard and one of those short Wilkinson bridges. Keep the hardware chrome or go for gold?

Also, does anyone know where to get a cheap tele bridge without the hole cut for a pickup? I'd love to do neck only but the only bridges I can find like that cost about as much as I spent on the guitar.

E: I know a strat bridge pickup wont fit a tele, but will a stat neck pu fit in a tele neck?

field balm fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 2, 2013

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guitar thread, has anyone played a G&L Ascari GTS? I'm looking at getting a second electric so I can keep my Schecter in low tunings and have something for E/Eb. I find myself moving away from Strats, and I like the Gibson style scale length and the idea of coil split. Any suggestions?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

I just noticed that these look like they've got a shellfish allergy and their left cheek has swollen up a whole bunch.

Not saying that's a bad thing but nothing quite like a nice LP, you say? I may be getting wooshed here but unironic: :allears:

Can't wait to get me one of them min etune setups

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I quite like the 2014 Gibsons I've checked out so far.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And I'm quite liking my 2013 Vox SSC33.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey guitar thread, has anyone played a G&L Ascari GTS? I'm looking at getting a second electric so I can keep my Schecter in low tunings and have something for E/Eb. I find myself moving away from Strats, and I like the Gibson style scale length and the idea of coil split. Any suggestions?

I've liked every G&L I've played but if you want a Gibson scale and coil splitting why not go with one of Epiphone's pro series?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

nrr posted:

Can't wait to get me one of them min etune setups
Love mine, learned Kashmir last night, then click click click stum standard tuning.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

So I got my guitar from Rondo today, and it's been pretty fun so far.
I had a question- right next to the floating tremolo, under the strings there is a button that slides up and down. It's very loose- if I tilt the guitar it moves back and forth- here's a picture of it circles in red

and here's a video of me sliding it back and forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Uexmpldi0

I have no idea what this is, or what it's supposed to do. What the heck is this?

Quoting this because if everything goes well I'll be picking up a Squier VM Bass VI in Olympic white next week and they have the same Jag tremolo but without this locking mechanism. What's the best setup to keep the tuning stable with one of these while still allowing gentle vibrato?

Can find lots of videos and guides for setting up floyd rose or strat trems but not that many good ones for vintage vibratos like this. Lots of 240p clips on youtube that are out of focus with horrible sound quality.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 2, 2013

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Verizian posted:

Quoting this because if everything goes well I'll be picking up a Squier VM Bass VI in Olympic white next week and they have the same Jag tremolo but without this locking mechanism. What's the best setup to keep the tuning stable with one of these while still allowing gentle vibrato?

Can find lots of videos and guides for setting up floyd rose or strat trems but not that many for vintage vibratos like this.

You have to do NOTHING. That's why it's the greatest trem system ever.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Verizian posted:

Quoting this because if everything goes well I'll be picking up a Squier VM Bass VI in Olympic white next week

gently caress you*, pal. Fender said they wouldn't be receiving more stock until the new year. :(

*(gently caress you because I'm jealous as all poo poo and have been waiting since August)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Remulak posted:

You have to do NOTHING. That's why it's the greatest trem system ever.

So it "just works"? There's a few reports of the VM-VI having tuning issues when using the trem compared to the full Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI which has a locking switch and TOM style bridge saddles that allows lower action without bridge buzz.

Sockington posted:

gently caress you*, pal. Fender said they wouldn't be receiving more stock until the new year. :(

*(gently caress you because I'm jealous as all poo poo and have been waiting since August)

Haha, that's why I said if all goes well. Local store has 11 on order for December 13th with 9 of them reserved already pushed back from a delivery due in early November. Another place has 27 on order for December 9th, again most are pre-orders. Also there's a chance I won't have the spare cash, Christmas coming up and all.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The problems with the tremolo are rooted in the bridge and the nut rather than the tremolo mechanism itself.

And I ordered a Bass VI through Guitar Center which they told me would be at my house by October 15th; instead I'm still waiting :(

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

The problems with the tremolo are rooted in the bridge and the nut rather than the tremolo mechanism itself.

And I ordered a Bass VI through Guitar Center which they told me would be at my house by October 15th; instead I'm still waiting :(

I ordered through a local music shop who spoke with a Fender rep. My original timeline was the late October, then Nov/Early December, but the Fender rep most recently said that Fender wouldn't be receiving the stock until very early January and then a week or two to get sent to the stores from there.

I don't know if this is a bullshit story or not, so we shall see :iiam:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah been reading up. There's a lot of US places selling replacement bridges, closer in spec to the full Fender model and a blank nut isn't too hard to find. Also a quick fix is to raise the action on the high E saddle then make sure the nut is properly lubed with pencil graphite.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Just blew a string on my electric, and it looks like my pack of spares is empty. What are some cheap, durable strings that will sound okay and be nice to my fingers? I'm just a beginner, so this will be played exclusively in my office through the shittiest $50 amp in the world. I have really big fingers and the strings that came on the guitar ($99 Squier strat) bit my fingers quite a bit because they were so thin.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Just blew a string on my electric, and it looks like my pack of spares is empty. What are some cheap, durable strings that will sound okay and be nice to my fingers? I'm just a beginner, so this will be played exclusively in my office through the shittiest $50 amp in the world. I have really big fingers and the strings that came on the guitar ($99 Squier strat) bit my fingers quite a bit because they were so thin.

Unless you're going after a specific tone, regular D'Addario Light strings should be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...+guitar+strings

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If like me you can't stand D'Addario's then Jim Dunlop makes cheap strings that last ages. 10'-52's for EADGBe through CFA#D#Gc tuning on a 24.75" scale.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Electric-Guitar-Strings

Ernie Ball slinky's aren't bad either but they don't last as long and some people hate the feel of them as much as I hate D'Addario's.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Wait, wait. Those are 10s. He'll be out of intonation, Fenders come with 9s. So D'addario super lights.
http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...ddario+light+9-

Here's a nice three pack.

Now, yes, they will bite your fingers. You gonna bleed, man. But at least you probably won't discover your guitar is drinking your blood. Mine does. It's disturbing.

If you go for the .10s, you'd need to take it down to the shop for a new setup. Which isn't a bad idea, but it's more than fifty bucks.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Setup and intonation is piss easy, especially if it's got a strat trem or hardtail. just follow the guides on http://www.youtube.com/user/FruduaTv.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's all about your comfort zone. If you think you're comfortable doing your own intonation, .10s are fine. I use 'em myself.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Going up one gauge won't hurt his intonation too badly.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

I've liked every G&L I've played but if you want a Gibson scale and coil splitting why not go with one of Epiphone's pro series?

It's on my radar, but I'm not a huge fan of how they sit on me. They're not uncomfortable but not really comfortable either. But yeah, I'm looking at them too. I just like guitars that are slightly out of the norm, basically.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

syntaxfunction posted:

It's on my radar, but I'm not a huge fan of how they sit on me. They're not uncomfortable but not really comfortable either. But yeah, I'm looking at them too. I just like guitars that are slightly out of the norm, basically.

Cyclone.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.maldenguitars.com/

Malden.

Especially the Mozak.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So, I am looking into guitars so that I can improve my ability to make music. I currently use FLStudio to make music but I feel lost and incapable, so I am thinking that learning guitar may give me some sort of direction. I am wanting an electric guitar, since it has the largest range of sounds that it can make, but I don't know enough to jump in.

I understand that I must learn to play it first. I was wondering what kind of guitar and amp and whatever else I need would be most useful in producing whatever sound I may want it to make. I know almost nothing and am nervous about getting started, and I feel overwhelmed after reading the OP.

Is there any advice as to what I should look into buying. I have a low budget (less than $400).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Squier Cyclone? Good idea, but unfortunately I'm in Australia, Brisbane specifically, and it seems like a used guitar wasteland here unless you want lovely $90 knockoff Strats.

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.maldenguitars.com/

Malden.

Especially the Mozak.

Sadly they don't have a list of dealers and I can't find any in Australia from a preliminary search. It doesn't seem to want to let me buy from their online store either.

I'm not in a rush to find a new guitar (I have a new computer and a better amp to get first), I'm just curious as to what suggestions people have. So far the main ones I'm looking at are the G&L Ascari, Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro, and some VM Squiers. I should also mention my budget is around AU$600 all up. The only requirement I really have is no Floyd Rose.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

Wait, wait. Those are 10s. He'll be out of intonation, Fenders come with 9s. So D'addario super lights.
http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...ddario+light+9-

Here's a nice three pack.

Now, yes, they will bite your fingers. You gonna bleed, man. But at least you probably won't discover your guitar is drinking your blood. Mine does. It's disturbing.

Didn't feel it at first this time.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And that's a _bass_.

Sorry bout the Aussie thing. I think your best option is the standby Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Syntax. Because it really is the best just plain guitar ever for the price.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I am the M00N posted:

So, I am looking into guitars so that I can improve my ability to make music. I currently use FLStudio to make music but I feel lost and incapable, so I am thinking that learning guitar may give me some sort of direction. I am wanting an electric guitar, since it has the largest range of sounds that it can make, but I don't know enough to jump in.

I understand that I must learn to play it first. I was wondering what kind of guitar and amp and whatever else I need would be most useful in producing whatever sound I may want it to make. I know almost nothing and am nervous about getting started, and I feel overwhelmed after reading the OP.

Is there any advice as to what I should look into buying. I have a low budget (less than $400).

Look for good used guitars at local music stores in your area to hook you up with a good deal. Don't be afraid to wait for that good deal to come up, I recently got a $700 PRS guitar used for $200, and it barley had a pick scratch on it it was so new. Look at Squier Strats and practice amps.

If you are into FLStudio, I know you can hook up guitar to computer to record that way. I would look into that as a way to get started.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So my low E string finally snapped on me. First string broken. :toot: Guess I'll have the store replace all of them instead of just changing one. They put new strings on for free for new purchases or something. (I'll try it myself eventually) Thing is, are strings made by Rotosound good? Those are the only ones available at the store it seems. There are a couple of different models though.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

I am the M00N posted:

So, I am looking into guitars so that I can improve my ability to make music.

Why not just tell people you can play guitar? I'll agree with you, that's a +5 to the check right there.
(nb: this is an obscure reference to a username, and not good advice)

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Torabi posted:

So my low E string finally snapped on me. First string broken. :toot: Guess I'll have the store replace all of them instead of just changing one. They put new strings on for free for new purchases or something. (I'll try it myself eventually) Thing is, are strings made by Rotosound good? Those are the only ones available at the store it seems. There are a couple of different models though.

I've tried a few makes (Ernie Ball, D'addarios, Dunlop) but Rotosound's are my favourite. I can't explain why, and it's probably all in my head, but they just 'feel' better. Try them, and if they feel off try a different brand.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Squier Cyclone? Good idea, but unfortunately I'm in Australia, Brisbane specifically, and it seems like a used guitar wasteland here unless you want lovely $90 knockoff Strats.

Sadly they don't have a list of dealers and I can't find any in Australia from a preliminary search. It doesn't seem to want to let me buy from their online store either.

I'm not in a rush to find a new guitar (I have a new computer and a better amp to get first), I'm just curious as to what suggestions people have. So far the main ones I'm looking at are the G&L Ascari, Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro, and some VM Squiers. I should also mention my budget is around AU$600 all up. The only requirement I really have is no Floyd Rose.

Hey Brisbane buddy. Yeah, good luck finding a second hand guitar of a brand you recognise around here. I would say maybe check out Tym's Guitars (http://tymguitars.com.au/) in the Valley, they might have something second hand around your price range.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

syntaxfunction posted:

My Grandfather used to own a guitar store here in NJ while my dad was growing up (They lived above it) and they used to carry Maton guitars. My dad still has one of the Les Paul type designs with a stereo output (two output jacks). I always loved that thing, but I don't think they sell them in america anymore. No idea if the newer ones are any good either or how common the brand is in their native Australia, but maybe you could hunt down something older.

http://maton.com.au/product/maton-electric-guitars?technology=1

Ninja edit: I guess they do still have some USA dealers http://maton.com.au/dealers/the-usa

And this guy has some nice pictures of different models on his site.
This one is pretty similar to the model my dad has:
http://www.guitarnerd.com.au/2011/06/maton-phil-manning-custom-stereo/

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 4, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
New strings on SG, lowered the bridge a bit for action. Naturally the intonation is off. How on earth am I supposed to reach these screws with the strings on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
drat, both local stores who were supposed to get Bass VI's next week got their delivery pushed back to Dec 30th and Jan 4th.

What the hell is wrong with Fender that they've got production issues with an Indonesian made guitar? Is it just an excuse to try and get more sales on the Mexican Pawn Shop VI? I'd suspect the 2012 earthquake but there's plenty of Indonesian guitars that have been made over the past year. Some people even claim that the guitar trade is helping to repair communities by providing jobs to those who lost their homes.

gently caress it if you could buy direct from the factories I'd do it and throw in a little extra, £273 is over five million Rupiah.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 4, 2013