Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Which place is more BBQ, Texas or Australia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RFX posted:

My HTC One won't load instagram pictures. I'll click a link to one, and the page will lead with all the comments and likes, but the image itself will never show. This is using Chrome on Android 4.3.

If this isn't the best place, is there a technical help thread for phones in missing?

There's an entire subforum that's 95% cellphone threads
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=192

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Crankit posted:

Texas

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Awesome that it spikes in the summer every year of the respective region. Makes sense, but I never thought of that! So, BBQ is more popular in Texas year round, but the Aussies really go crazy in their summertime!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Crankit posted:

Texas, what the Aussies call BBQ is actually grilling. Real BBQ is low-heat over a long period, usually a wood fire in a pit or smoker, whereas grilling uses the hotter-burning charcoal or propane, and is cooked in a short period. Rule of thumb is if the cook time isn't measured in hours, it isn't bar-b-que.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
The joke I use with my inlaws is "To a southerner, BBQ is a noun, not a verb". For the stupid people: "BBQ is something you eat, not something you do".

For my stupid question: I have a jacket I really like (It's a reversible, nice jacket for winter). I got the zipper caught in my car door and smashed it. Are there places that will fix the zipper?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Depends on the material but yes generally you should be able to get a zipper replaced. Look for businesses that do clothing alteration, repair, or tailoring and call them up.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

For my stupid question: I have a jacket I really like (It's a reversible, nice jacket for winter). I got the zipper caught in my car door and smashed it. Are there places that will fix the zipper?

Call some tailors (real tailors, not like the Men's Wearhouse or anything) in your area and ask about it. Chances are they'd just replace the zipper. I was in almost the same situation and had the zipper replaced on a really nice Columbia jacket for something like $30, which was way nicer than having to buy a new coat. There was apparently something about the way that coat was built that made it a particularly challenging job, too, so you may not even have to pay that much.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Has there been a cross-cultural study of the just-world fallacy to see if it depends on the prevailing religion? Seems like "good people get rewarded and bad people get punished" assumes an active and benevolent deity, which not all religions have.

Edit: derp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis#Correlates

Edit edit: Though there are differences across cultures, they seem to be attributed to inequality rather than religion.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 3, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dudebro posted:

The price of the monthly pass in Toronto (and it's not 30-day, it's monthly, period) is the same as the NYC pass, approximately, given currency conversion. And obviously Toronto's transit system is nothing like the scope of NYC's. It has 2.1 subway lines. It's laughable.

How do you have a tenth of a subway line?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Penguissimo posted:

Call some tailors (real tailors, not like the Men's Wearhouse or anything) in your area and ask about it. Chances are they'd just replace the zipper. I was in almost the same situation and had the zipper replaced on a really nice Columbia jacket for something like $30, which was way nicer than having to buy a new coat. There was apparently something about the way that coat was built that made it a particularly challenging job, too, so you may not even have to pay that much.

Columbia is really good about customer service believe it or not. I had a $200+ Columbia jacket that has some of the stitching start to come loose in the armpit area, and I contacted them and they said they would repair it if I shipped it to them. About a week later I got a package from Columbia and it was a brand new coat that was a 2 year newer updated model of my old coat. The stitching problem was so minor (maybe a 1-inch area where the seam had come apart) I still can't believe they sent me a brand new coat. I was only out the cost of shipping them the original coat.

Some companies are just fantastic with the customer service. My dad had a 10+ year old pair of Sorel hunting boots and he sent them to the company to get the soles repaired. They just sent him a brand new pair at no cost.

Anyway it never hurts to contact the manufacturer before spending money on fixing something yourself! Even if it's damage that you caused (like, how could Sorel possibly be responsible for the soles wearing out on a decade old pair of boots?) it never hurts to check and see if they will fix/replace the item for free or cheap.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Yeah, it's nothing quite that fancy. It's just a decent Addias reversible jacket. Tailor near me quoted $7 to replace the slider (it wasn't the full zipper) but we'll see as the zipper has some huge loving teeth.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Grundulum posted:

Has there been a cross-cultural study of the just-world fallacy to see if it depends on the prevailing religion? Seems like "good people get rewarded and bad people get punished" assumes an active and benevolent deity
Or a system like karma?

v Yeah, I'm saying the just-world fallacy could grow equally well out of a belief in an impersonal cause-and-effect system as it does out of a belief in an omniscient god watching and punishing/rewarding you.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 3, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
That's not really how karma works, though. You can try to explain it as "good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people" but it's more complex than that and doesn't necessarily involve a diety. It's more of a cause-and-effect law of the universe type of thing.

The general idea is that if you are a good person you do good deeds, and these good deeds have positive effects that reverberate throughout the universe. The more good deeds you do the more likely you are to receive some of the positive effects of the good deed chain. So, if you do lots of good things and surround your self with good people, you will get more of that goodness kicked back to you during your life. It's kind of like you're putting tons of "good" molecules into the universe and thus increasing the likelihood that you yourself will run into these "good" molecules (obviously not in a literal sense). It's not "you're bad in this life so you turn into a worm the next life" like people tend to generalize it. The idea of Karma is far more complex and far-reaching than that.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

stubblyhead posted:

How do you have a tenth of a subway line?

It's more like 2.3 but good question.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hoobajoo posted:

Texas, what the Aussies call BBQ is actually grilling.

What Americans call "barbecue" is some bizarre bullshit that has nothing to do with a barbecue. And what Americans call grilling is really barbecuing. Grilling is putting something under high heat, which Americans call broiling for some reason. Trying to understand what Americans mean when they talk about cooking is always a challenge.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
The tenth or 3 tenth line is just a guy in a rape-van painted up to look like a train car.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

What Americans call "barbecue" is some bizarre bullshit that has nothing to do with a barbecue. And what Americans call grilling is really barbecuing. Grilling is putting something under high heat, which Americans call broiling for some reason. Trying to understand what Americans mean when they talk about cooking is always a challenge.

Hey, we invented cooking so we can call it what we want.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tiggum posted:

What the gently caress is "barbecue"? In America we spell it like it sounds: with two hyphens and a Q! Are you still mad about 'football'?

What do you call meat cooked over a low heat for a long period in a pit or smoker, then? American bar-b-que?

Broiling happens in an oven, whereas grilling happens on a grill. Simple.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

What do you call meat cooked over a low heat for a long period in a ... smoker, then?

In the UK we call food that has been cooked in this manner 'smoked'. Barbequed food is food that has been cooked on a barbeque/barbecue/BBQ and is blackened on the exterior yet raw in the centre, but everyone's drunk so who gives a poo poo

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

stickyfngrdboy posted:

In the UK...who gives a poo poo

Succint description of the British isles' rich culinary history.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

In the UK we call food that has been cooked in this manner 'smoked'. Barbequed food is food that has been cooked on a barbeque/barbecue/BBQ and is blackened on the exterior yet raw in the centre, but everyone's drunk so who gives a poo poo

Is there a distinction between mighty American 'que and like, smoked hams or salmon?

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 4, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
On meat smoking forum I was on if i remember right, BBQ = smoked between 200f and 250f and usually finished meat temp slightly over 200.

Regular smoking was done at 200f or below and probably way less than final 200f meat temp.

BBQ meats are typically fatty gristly cuts and the 200f meat temp is to insure all that is melted in or softened.

I can make good goddamn brisket but its lots of work and 20 hours of tending the smoker. So Ive avoided doing it for a year or more. Thinking about one of those little electric cabinet smokers.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 4, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

Is there a distinction between mighty American 'que and like, smoked hams or salmon?

The American style restaurants I deal with who cook brisket and jacob's ladders and ribs and pork shoulder in the American BBQ style all call it 'smoked low&slow' (or words to that effect) on their menus.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

photomikey posted:

I need to order 100 t-shirts for 100 USA 6th Graders. They come from 50 different schools, and most of them aren't even identified yet, so getting sizing information is impossible.

How many S, M, L, XL should I get? Totals should add to 100.

Based on what I see from large orders for children into our embroiderers, I would say something like:

S - 12
M - 12
L - 31
XL - 31
2XL - 12
3XL - 2

2XL and 3XL cost more, but people (even kids) always need them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hoobajoo posted:

BBQ is pretty much universally slow-cooked pork (in some places the whole pig all at once) although Texas does beef but who really listens to Texas anyway? (yeah yeah, beef brisket is good too whatever) What really makes it BBQ and not just slow-cooked meat is the sauce or rub, but that varies by region, and trying to make an argument on which is best will ignite a holy war on the level of :godwin: (the best is vinegar-based).

Edit: Generic "BBQ" in a place without a local style is probably some variation of the Kansas City style, where the sauce is thick, sticky, and tomato-y, with lots of different types of meat.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 4, 2013

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

razz posted:

Supposedly when you sign up for Facebook, you also get a Facebook e-mail account. I was messing with my phone and there's a feature where I can send a picture from my phone to my facebook email. So I sent myself a Facebook email and... then what? How do I check this mysterious Facebook email address? I don't see anything about it anywhere.

The emails sent to your Facebook email address will appear in your messaging.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So, I have access to a 20% discount from GamersGate for a pricing error on their part last year. I would like to extend my discount to my fellow BF4 players. I am unsure of how many copies of the game I can buy from GG before I lose my discount, so I planned on only buying one copy at a time to give to my comrades in arms while they cover the cost and paypal fees only.

Should I make an SA-Mart thread or should I just post what I want to do in the BF4 thread?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

JohnnyHildo posted:

The emails sent to your Facebook email address will appear in your messaging.

Thansk, it never showed up, I must be doing something wrong.

Another question: How do I get the bookmarks bar to stop showing up in Chrome? It's still there even though "show bookmarks bar" is unchecked. And it's not even a real bookmarks bar, it's just a bar asking me to import my bookmarks and I don't want to and just want the bar to go away. Also every time I open a new tab, it pops back up if it does manage to hide itself. I don't want it there AT ALL, I never use bookmarks. I only look at like 3 sites on the internet.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

razz posted:

Thansk, it never showed up, I must be doing something wrong.

Another question: How do I get the bookmarks bar to stop showing up in Chrome? It's still there even though "show bookmarks bar" is unchecked. And it's not even a real bookmarks bar, it's just a bar asking me to import my bookmarks and I don't want to and just want the bar to go away. Also every time I open a new tab, it pops back up if it does manage to hide itself. I don't want it there AT ALL, I never use bookmarks. I only look at like 3 sites on the internet.

View > Always Show Bookmarks Bar
or
poo poo + Command + B

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

razz posted:

Columbia is really good about customer service believe it or not. I had a $200+ Columbia jacket that has some of the stitching start to come loose in the armpit area, and I contacted them and they said they would repair it if I shipped it to them. About a week later I got a package from Columbia and it was a brand new coat that was a 2 year newer updated model of my old coat. The stitching problem was so minor (maybe a 1-inch area where the seam had come apart) I still can't believe they sent me a brand new coat. I was only out the cost of shipping them the original coat.

Some companies are just fantastic with the customer service. My dad had a 10+ year old pair of Sorel hunting boots and he sent them to the company to get the soles repaired. They just sent him a brand new pair at no cost.

Anyway it never hurts to contact the manufacturer before spending money on fixing something yourself! Even if it's damage that you caused (like, how could Sorel possibly be responsible for the soles wearing out on a decade old pair of boots?) it never hurts to check and see if they will fix/replace the item for free or cheap.

Whoa, that's insanely good customer service. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever have a problem with one of their products again, thanks for the tip!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
My girlfriend constantly tells me half-truths just so she can gauge my reaction. This the most straightforward example I can explain: if I ask her to pick up 2 boxes of cereal A and 1 box of cereal B, she'll arrive home and tell me she bought 1 box of cereal A, 1 box of cereal B, and 1 box of cereal C. It isn't true, she actually did buy exactly what I asked for, but in that moment I have no idea what she says is true or not. I think she does it to gauge my reaction or to toy with me in some way. I'm not sure if it's malicious or not, and it doesn't really bother me at all. It doesn't feel malicious. So far, all of the examples of this specific behavior of hers have been regarding trivial things, so I haven't been bothered.

Is there a specific name for this type of behavior?

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Why do leather gloves always have those 3 lines on the top of them?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Woodsy Owl posted:

My girlfriend constantly tells me half-truths just so she can gauge my reaction. This the most straightforward example I can explain: if I ask her to pick up 2 boxes of cereal A and 1 box of cereal B, she'll arrive home and tell me she bought 1 box of cereal A, 1 box of cereal B, and 1 box of cereal C. It isn't true, she actually did buy exactly what I asked for, but in that moment I have no idea what she says is true or not. I think she does it to gauge my reaction or to toy with me in some way. I'm not sure if it's malicious or not, and it doesn't really bother me at all. It doesn't feel malicious. So far, all of the examples of this specific behavior of hers have been regarding trivial things, so I haven't been bothered.

I do this with my wife all the time; we call it 'trolling'.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Shapur posted:

Wikipedia says - Points are the three, or sometimes single, line of decorative stitching on the back of the glove

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Shapur posted:

In antiquity, I think those were done to cinch together the hand part of the glove and make it fit better. Imagine trying to make a glove by hand and make it perfectly tight on the first try.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Shapur posted:

View > Always Show Bookmarks Bar
or
poo poo + Command + B

The "always show bookmarks" bar is unchecked.

Shift+ctrl+ B does nothing. This isn't really a bookmarks bar I'm trying to hide. It's a bar telling me to import my bookmarks. Here's a screen grab:

How do I get rid of that "for quick access to your bookmarks" blah blah blah thing? It shouws up every time I open a new tab. It's not the actual bookmarks bar. I do not have nor do I want to import any bookmarks or have quick access to them.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

razz posted:

The "always show bookmarks" bar is unchecked.

Shift+ctrl+ B does nothing. This isn't really a bookmarks bar I'm trying to hide. It's a bar telling me to import my bookmarks. Here's a screen grab:

How do I get rid of that "for quick access to your bookmarks" blah blah blah thing? It shouws up every time I open a new tab. It's not the actual bookmarks bar. I do not have nor do I want to import any bookmarks or have quick access to them.

Go thru the steps to import, but choose "Do nothing..." when prompted what to bookmark. Then it should go away.

cats
May 11, 2009
Which notation is correct: 10+% or 10%+ ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Woodsy Owl posted:

"Mind Games"