Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Double Cross Advanced Rulebook is now available, through Amazon or the Ver. Blue Amusemeent web shop.

Pretty sure this is physical book only, since I know some people are gonna ask that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've been reading through the base rulebook for Double Cross and now I'm totally itching for a game.

Guess that means time for a recruit since I missed the last one.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
According to Ver. Blue Amusement, shipping will be delayed a day for recent orders due to Thanksgiving... and also, there is some kind of bundle/package to be offered in December. Don't know much more specific beyond that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I almost forgot, I got my hardcover TBZ in the mail from last week's sale. Other than ending up fighting the package I am quite pleased with the response time and price.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Got my copy of the Double Cross Advanced Player's Guide. I am vastly amused that it is possible to be a double full borg now, with Trait Loises (Trade one of your starting loises for a special quality) and Items of Power (Special renegade-related items that you buy with XP instead of stock.)

Both have a full body replacement option, that give different benefits, and would seem to stack with each other.

DOUBLE CYBORG, hero of the people.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Got my copy of the Double Cross Advanced Player's Guide. I am vastly amused that it is possible to be a double full borg now, with Trait Loises (Trade one of your starting loises for a special quality) and Items of Power (Special renegade-related items that you buy with XP instead of stock.)

Both have a full body replacement option, that give different benefits, and would seem to stack with each other.

DOUBLE CYBORG, hero of the people.

Then take "Complete Augmentation" on top of that. TRIPLE CYBORG. :science:

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Indie press revolution is also selling Double Cross and the advanced rulebook.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's like TURBODRACULA, except less stupid and more kickass!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Dog + Bram Stoker = TURBODRACULA

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

At this point it would seem like you have literally no biological matter left.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
He totally asked for this.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Gasperkun posted:

According to Ver. Blue Amusement, shipping will be delayed a day for recent orders due to Thanksgiving... and also, there is some kind of bundle/package to be offered in December. Don't know much more specific beyond that.

And that bundle is already sold out, as is the Advanced Rulebook itself. Hope you got a copy already if you wanted it!

(I didn't...)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Parkreiner posted:

And that bundle is already sold out, as is the Advanced Rulebook itself. Hope you got a copy already if you wanted it!

(I didn't...)

Ver. Blue is pretty good at reprints, so if you want a copy just wait a month or two.

Severian
May 18, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

Ver. Blue is pretty good at reprints, so if you want a copy just wait a month or two.

Shouldn't even have to wait that long, according to their Facebook they'll hopefully be available again by the end of the week.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Having finished up reading the advanced guide, I find myself less into making new characters and more into making new Trait loises. I need to eyeball it some more to make sure the stat balance isn't awful before I get to that point though.

I noticed a real shortage of them based on work instead of on being an Overed, though, so I'm vaguely toying expanding that to other jobs. Like maybe a "Gang Leader" trait Lois for Delinquents where once a scenario your enemies find themselves surrounded by overprotective mobsters or motorcycle gangers (Basically suddenly you've got a troop you control on the board.)

Or "Loose Cannon" a detective/cop only T-Lois that gives some sort of short term advantage in exchange for offending your superiors? (Take an existing police-related lois. Burn it as a Titus. It returns to being a Lois at the start of the next scenario, as your good performance despite your maverick ways gets you back in the department's good graces for a while)

Something along those lines, anyway.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Just chiming in to say I just bought the french edition of Ryuutama, and it is both gorgeous and very interesting.
I particularly like the way all players design parts of the world and cities and not just the GM, it really feels like it could lead to weird and awesome adventures with my players.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

boblemoche posted:

Just chiming in to say I just bought the french edition of Ryuutama, and it is both gorgeous and very interesting.
I particularly like the way all players design parts of the world and cities and not just the GM, it really feels like it could lead to weird and awesome adventures with my players.

I cannot properly express the degree of my envy right now. At least Andy's got good turnaround time when Chinese New Year isn't rearing its head.

Unrelated, is the general consensus that the DX supplement is worth it? I'm not entirely decided on picking it up, since my money's on fire right now.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I like the DX supplement, but it may be something to wait to get until you're about to start a new game, since a good chunk of it is "New options for PCs" in the form of trait loises and special items you can buy with XP instead stock.

It's also got new stuff for GMs in the form of E-loises- special monster powerups for Gjaums, and generic NPC statblocks.

But the bulk of it is just more detail on the default setting, including new NPCs and such for it, so if you're not playing with it it may not be an immediate purchase thing.

Severian
May 18, 2005
For anyone else who was waiting, the Advanced Rulebook and Combo Pack is back up at Ver. Blue's web store.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay, this is hilarious, the advanced rulebook has special syndrome only items, and one of them is a straight up Death Note, although it doesn't actually kill your target, just make them easier to kill.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Okay, this is hilarious, the advanced rulebook has special syndrome only items, and one of them is a straight up Death Note, although it doesn't actually kill your target, just make them easier to kill.

My favorite one is the one where you have a small castle, already attuned as your Orcus domain.

That or the coffin full of roses that a Bram Stoker can just pull out and sleep in when injured. Because you know, why wouldn't they have a coffin full of roses on hand?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be perfectly honest, if I was a super powered pseudo vampire I'd have a coffin full of roses too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Double Cross really is the anime-est game ever.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Double Cross really is the anime-est game ever.

It really is. Which is why I'm seriously tempted the next time I get a chance to play, to make a Morpheus entirely focused around bodyslamming people from inside a giant robot. (All "Vehicle attacks" in the game are treated as ramming someone with your vehicle. If you're a Pure Breed Morpheus and build yourself a mecha with your brain, obviously Ramming someone should take the form of elbow drops and booting people with giant robot feet and other brawler-y unarmed combat moves.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I was looking around to find out more about the other supplements for Double Cross that are still Japan-only, and I'd love to see Infinity Code for the Oroboros power set, and see some of the alternate settings. Hopefully its success means we'll see more of this stuff.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was looking around to find out more about the other supplements for Double Cross that are still Japan-only, and I'd love to see Infinity Code for the Oroboros power set, and see some of the alternate settings. Hopefully its success means we'll see more of this stuff.

From what I've heard we're getting the big book on the bad guys next, but Weird Edge is basically the one I'm waiting for, since it seems like the natural book for the game I want to run.

(Though I'd probably skip "Fight Nazi occultists!" and just do "Baccano only with super-powers besides immortality.")

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Finally got the Double Cross Advanced Rulebook. The trait loises are interesting, and if I ran it, I might be inclined to skip the "cost" and just give everybody a choice of one for free. The items are more of a mixed bag, I think, with some being marginal and others (Reaper's Book) being a bit farcical. The added setting info is quite nice, though I'd treat it as as a toolbox rather than a grab bag.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Any of you guys know of the Bundle of Holding? They run a sale a little shorter than a week where you can pay as little as the minimum cost (This sale is $4.95) to get a certain set of RPG PDFs and RPG related PDFs or pay above the average to get some extra RPGs.

I guess anyone posting or reading this thread already has it, but if you pay above the threshold (Currently $14.05) you get Golden Sky Stories as well as Magicians (A roleplaying game where casting spells requires you to correctly pronounce Korean words - but there's an add-on somewhere that changes it to Japanese - at least, one came with the Kickstarter earlier this year) and Tokyo Brain Pop (The RPG Formerly Known As Panty Explosion) as well as the below-the-threshold Anima Prime, MAID the RPG and Mecha.

Part of what you give goes to charity - I'd say what they are but the designers of the game are yet to decide.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
We're currently in the process of voting on what charities, and it should be settled pretty soon.

Also, there are a few more games yet to be announced. :D

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Oh man I had no idea Tokyo Brain Pop is Panty Explosion.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Awesome, they finally renamed the game so I can show it to friends without them backing away slowly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tsilkani posted:

Awesome, they finally renamed the game so I can show it to friends without them backing away slowly.

Which is 100% the reason they renamed it, honestly. It's a decent rules light game held down by an unfortunate name. Unlike Maid, which is a decent rules light game held down by the creator being extra pervy when he wrote it.

marchosias
Feb 22, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Which is 100% the reason they renamed it, honestly. It's a decent rules light game held down by an unfortunate name. Unlike Maid, which is a decent rules light game held down by the creator being extra pervy when he wrote it.

I kind of prefer the original less rules-light version, but it certainly needed the name change. The kinda doofy art in the new version is unironically pretty great too.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

So were you born without a sense of humor, or did it get infected and have to be removed at an early age, or what's the deal with that?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's Christmas in Christmastime! The Ryuutama rough cut is out for backers!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Desty posted:

It's Christmas in Christmastime! The Ryuutama rough cut is out for backers!

It's too bad Ryuutama is impossible for non-US residents (and, frankly, like, 9/10 US residents) who missed the kickstarter because of Paypal :(

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The books haven't gone to print yet, so nothing's totally final. Andy's a pretty stand-up guy, and if you contact him directly and explain that Paypal gave you the shaft, you might be able to work something out.

Cessy
May 15, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's too bad Ryuutama is impossible for non-US residents (and, frankly, like, 9/10 US residents) who missed the kickstarter because of Paypal :(

There's actually something set up just for that.

http://kotodama.bigcartel.com/category/ryuutama

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'm going to go to Yellow Submarine tomorrow, which is, as I understand it, the place to buy Japanese Elfgames.

What games that I cannot read - NOR WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO READ - should I buy, to...christ, support people? Enjoy the artwork? I don't even know. I'm here. I wanna buy something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

What games that I cannot read - NOR WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO READ - should I buy, to...christ, support people? Enjoy the artwork? I don't even know. I'm here. I wanna buy something.
Someone gave me this list which I planned to buy if I ever set foot in Japan. I don't have any experience on any of them personally, I'm just taking his word that they're interesting.

Endbreakers, Alshard, Sword World, Barna Kronika, Monster Maker Legend, Beast Bind, Night Wizard

And I guess there's the Meikyuu Kingdom supplements since it's still up in the air as to whether those will get translated.

You could also buy the already-being-translated RPGs if you really want to double support them, I suppose.

• Locked thread