Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Even if you don't get injured that much, do not neglect building an infirmary. Make it the first thing you build. I'm on Breakdown level 2 with a huge group at Snyder's, and half the community is out of commission with the flu after someone caught it on a scavenging run and it spread like wildfire around the camp. You can still play as sick characters, but they have huge stat penalties.
Pretty sure they only take a hit to stamina...

Also, finally got around to moving onto level 3 and goddamn that is a big step up from two. Seems like running zombies are now the most common kind because it seems like every time I go into town I end up with a congo line of zombies tracking behind me. Special zombies also seem to spawn everywhere, all the time. I played on level 3 for a little under an hour and already I've managed to encounter half a dozen ferals, 3 juggernauts and more armored and screamers than I could count. One of my weaker characters only barely managed to survive an encounter with a feral by planting a mine at her feet and taking the hit along with the feral. I shudder to think how much trouble I'd be having if most of the survivors I'd brought on the RV weren't already leveled most of the way up. Also Despite turning most of the north town upside down I've only managed to get ahold of around 5 packs of materials which means my base is severely under developed. I'm loving this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I was poking around in the files after finding an extractor, and there's some neat stuff that's disabled. There's an entire facility subset for power generation for instance. Tempted to see if it can be re-enabled with the current modding tools. Apparently it works, but was cut from release due to unexplained issues.

There's also a few AI priorities i've chanced across that explain why survivors are sometimes so lovely at defending their HQ when you're nearby. Some of the AI priorities seem odd, like vigilance having some weird issues, and barricading never taking place outside of the sieges.

There's also some AI behavior stuff i've found, but I can't figure out how it ties into RTS mode yet. I'm assuming RTS mode is how the map handles NPC movement and such. In addition to that, a post I chanced across mentions that proper AI for NPC's firing weapons when out and about is currently commented out. Not sure why, but if that's true I may try and re-enable it to see what sort of hilarity results.

There's also some odd stuff that I was curious about. Does the campaign version of the game have a failure event where you lose if too many buildings get infested? Because I found an event that indicates that's a thing.

Edit: Vigilance actually apparently handles defending an area. Except I don't think most NPC's in Breakdown spawn with guns and ammo, and I don't see any indication that it actually sets up barricades properly when not in a siege mission. Meaning that half of what i'm reading for NPC AI defending a location doesn't actually seem like it works.

For instance, there's

quote:

OnOutOfAmmo = function (self,entity, sender)
entity:Reload();
end,

REACHED_BARRICADE = function(self, entity)
if (entity.actor:BarricadeIsAcquired() or entity.vigilantPos~= nil) then
self:StartVigilant(entity)
entity:SelectPipe(0, 'do_nothing')
else
entity:SelectPipe(0, 'UL_Ally_SiegeDefense_Try_Acquire')
end
entity.actor.RemoveContextTag(0, entity.id, "Behavior_Navigating");
end,

---------------------------------------------
TRY_ACQUIRE = function(self, entity)
--Log('[UL_Ally_Siege] SIGNAL: TRY_ACQUIRE')
entity.Behavior:AcquireBarricade(entity)
end,

---------------------------------------------
-- idle found a nearby zombie on a barricade. try to shoot it
ZOMBIE_ON_BARRICADE_NEARBY = function(self, entity)
--self:ReleaseBarricade(entity)
AI.SetBehaviorVariable(entity.id, "DealWithEnemyRanged", true);
end,

ModeVigilantStop = function(self, entity)
self.parent:TO_IDLE(entity);

I've never seen a NPC shoot a zombie off of a barricaded window. In fact unless it's a siege mission, they'll just run out to punch it in the face. If it is a siege mission they'll just keep re-barricading the thing until a zombie sneaks up on them or it gets through. Seems like there might be a bit of an AI logic issue there. I'd have to keep checking to see if i'm right. Just mucked into the extracted files not long ago.

Either way, it seems like some modders could have some real fun with messing with the game. With the extractor you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 4, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, I have literally never seen an NPC shoot out at a zombie attacking a fortified building, nor have I ever seen them barricade a building except when specifically called to do so by a mission.

This game is buggy as poo poo, though, so I'm not really surprised. It's still a great game, but it's a really loving buggy great game.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Oh man, given the many threads of forgotten features the devs have hinted at there's probably a lot of hidden gems in the code. I could see a lot of life left in this game if anyone can change up win-states or facility functions.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kasonic posted:

Oh man, given the many threads of forgotten features the devs have hinted at there's probably a lot of hidden gems in the code. I could see a lot of life left in this game if anyone can change up win-states or facility functions.

I'm chancing across a lot of stuff that implies that the scope of the project used to be much bigger. I also just found some more stuff that might interest people. Spotted it in a list of different expertise types in an XML file. I'll bold the interesting stuff since I had to reformat it after copy and pasting. Obviously this is a list of the various skills you can level up in game.

quote:

GameTokensLibrary Name="Family">
<GameToken Name="Expertise.MeleeUnarmed" LocalOnly="0"
Description="Combat ability; used w/ no large weapon" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.MeleeBlunt" LocalOnly="0"
Description="Combat ability; used with bashing weapons" Value="0" Type="Int"/><GameToken Name="Expertise.MeleeBlade" LocalOnly="0"
Description="Combat ability; used with axes and bladed weapons" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.GunPistol"
LocalOnly="0"
Description="Gun ability: used with handguns and revolvers" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.GunShotgun" LocalOnly="0"
Description="Gun ability: used with shotguns" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.GunRifle" LocalOnly="0" Description="Gun ability; used with rifles" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.GunAssault" LocalOnly="0" Description="Gun ability; used with assault rifles and SMGs" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.GunHeavy" LocalOnly="0" Description="Gun ability; used with machine guns" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.Medicine" LocalOnly="0" Description="Medical ability; used with Medical Bag item" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.Repair" LocalOnly="0" Description="Repair ability; used with Tool Kit item" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Expertise.Psychology" LocalOnly="0" Description="Npc interaction ability" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Influence" LocalOnly="0" Description="Available currency" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

<GameToken Name="Renown" LocalOnly="0" Description="Wealth rating; determines available influence each day" Value="0" Type="Int"/>

Looks like there were at least three skill sets that didn't make it to release. I'm guessing the items are in too, just disabled. I found the items file but haven't gotten around to checking it yet to see if they're there.

The game's pretty much a gold mine of potential if some decent modders pick it up. Hell, the LUA's contain what appears to be all of the code for handling AI behavior in the game world.

Assuming i'm not missing something important in how they compiled and set up their file structure, you could even script some new behaviors with a decent enough understanding of the code. I imagine it'd even be possible to have the AI survivors actually do stuff other than generate missions with enough effort. IE: Have them scavenge on their own, roam the world and do their own thing, etc, etc. Looks like they had to cut a lot of stuff to make it as an arcade release.

I may try tweaking the AI priorities, at least. I want to see if I can get them to actually shoot zombies when not on the watchtower and intelligently defend the HQ. It'd make places like the Alamo much more livable.

Edit: Just to give an idea of what someone can do with a bit of time, check out this video of the Romero mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVBEuo_BFf8

Imagine fighting off that many zombies at the start of breakdown level 6 with just your starting assortment of survivors. Really puts an emphasis on being prepared before you move into the city. And that's just the first real mod someone's made for the game.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 4, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Archonex posted:

Edit: Just to give an idea of what someone can do with a bit of time, check out this video of the Romero mod.

Imagine fighting off that many zombies at the start of breakdown level 6 with just your starting assortment of survivors. Really puts an emphasis on being prepared before you move into the city. And that's just the first real mod someone's made for the game.

While that's really cool I love how the video maker didn't turn off the in game music. A nice blend of banjos and an angelic choir.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Archonex posted:

How in the poo poo does someone resist the urge to mulch that pickup into that wall of zombies :stare:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fewd posted:

How in the poo poo does someone resist the urge to mulch that pickup into that wall of zombies :stare:

A smart player demolition derbies that poo poo - reverse into the horde and your truck takes less damage! :science:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fewd posted:

Man, i'd just lob a few grenades. Much more fun to see em fly.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

I think it represents them being out foraging or whatever. In the current version you can order people who are away from home to 'Check In' over the radio by selecting their portrait, and it will make a map marker showing their current location in the game world appear. I've done it a couple of times and they've always been out in random locations scouting or whatever (locations that have always turned out to have good loot, so good for them).

I don't see any option to request a 'Check In', am I missing something?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Archonex posted:

:words: about modding possibilities.
I like seeing you dig through the code and finding this stuff, but for future posting you might want to use [ code] tags rather than [ quote] tags. Without spaces, of course.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Feeble posted:

Pretty sure they only take a hit to stamina...

Sick characters take a HUGE hit to stamina. My main character got sick, went from -20 to -80 stamina in about 10 minutes of looting. Staggering home with a rucksack is not a good place to be.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Streaming some today. Just started so it's only level 1 gathering supplies and leveling some people. Nothing exciting and I'm not to pro at the game:

http://www.twitch.tv/athanatossa

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Woebin posted:

I like seeing you dig through the code and finding this stuff, but for future posting you might want to use [ code] tags rather than [ quote] tags. Without spaces, of course.

Forgot the forums even had that option. Though it might stretch the screen, which I know can be obnoxious for some people.

So I think I found the code that handles part of the initiation of ranged attacks. Just like the post I chanced across said, some of it is commented out. Specifically, there appears to be variants of a NPC attacking with a gun. This ranges from the current "boom headshot" version of headshotting, to panicked gunfire, to sweeping the zombies.

code:
    AI.BeginGoalPipe("Ally_stick_with_player_attack_ranged");
--      AI.PushGoal("firecmd",0,FIREMODE_SECONDARY);
        AI.PushGoal("locate", 0, "ULZombie");
        AI.PushGoal("+firecmd",0,FIREMODE_BURST, AILASTOPRES_USE);
        AI.PushGoal("locate",0,"formation_player",1000);
        AI.PushGoal("+acqtarget",0,"");
        AI.PushGoal("+stick",2.0,2.5,AILASTOPRES_LOOKAT+AI_REQUEST_PARTIAL_PATH,STICK_SHORTCUTNAV);
    AI.EndGoalPipe();
That's the initiator for when they're following you. Still don't have any idea what FIREMODE_SECONDARY does yet. It's doubtful given that this code appears to have been made specifically for State of Decay, but maybe it was a hold-over from Crysis? Were there originally alternate fire modes for some weapons? Or was it a way to determine when a different type of fire mode (I'll get into that later on in the post.) occurs for AI survivors? It's one of those things I haven't chanced across in the code yet.

And here's the segment with alternate fire modes. For people aren't aware, the -- means a segment is commented out and effectively does nothing in the code. I'm obviously not 100% sure yet (There's a lot of code to go through.) but this next snippet appears to be part of the code for when an ally is following you and doing nothing.

code:
 AI.BeginGoalPipe("Ally_shooter_idle");
        AI.PushGoal('ul_locatevisible', 1, 'ULZombieTest', 50)
        AI.PushGoal("+firecmd",0,FIREMODE_BURST, AILASTOPRES_USE);
--        AI.PushGoal("+firecmd",0,FIREMODE_BURST_ONCE, AILASTOPRES_USE);
--        AI.PushGoal("+firecmd",0,FIREMODE_AIM_SWEEP, AILASTOPRES_USE);
--        AI.PushGoal("+firecmd",0,FIREMODE_PANIC_SPREAD, AILASTOPRES_USE);
        AI.PushGoal("timeout",1,0.5,1.0);
    AI.EndGoalPipe();
Not sure if AILASTOPRES_USE handles actual use of ammo in the inventory or does something else (Really need to get around to tracking that down, but i'm having fun parsing out how different bits of the AI work.), but if you need ammo in their inventory that might explain some of the problems.

If there is an ammo limitation there, commenting it out would ensure they'd use it (if that's the only issue), albeit at the cost of giving them infinite ammo. Then again, for mods that do shambler hordes like the Romero mod, that could be useful. :stonk:

And here's a long one just for fun. The siege defense code in the ul_pipemanager file.
code:
    --==============================================================================
    -- Siege defense
    --==============================================================================

-- idle. try to find a zombie target
    AI.BeginGoalPipe('UL_Ally_SiegeDefense_Idle')
        AI.PushGoal('locate', 0, 'ULZombieBarricade', 15, 0)                            -- find a barricade zombie target
        AI.PushGoal('+branch', 0, 'END', IF_LASTOP_FAILED)                              -- check if a zombie was found
        AI.PushGoal('ul_locatevisible', 1, 'ULZombieBarricade', 15, 0)                  -- find a barricade zombie target
        AI.PushGoal('+branch', 0, 'END', IF_LASTOP_FAILED)                              -- check if a zombie was found
        AI.PushGoal('signal', 1, 1, 'ZOMBIE_ON_BARRICADE_NEARBY', SIGNALFILTER_SENDER)  -- tell the behavior there's a barricade zombie nearby
        AI.PushLabel('END')
        AI.PushGoal('timeout', 1, 1)
        AI.PushGoal('signal', 1, 1, 'TRY_ACQUIRE', SIGNALFILTER_SENDER)                 -- Tell the behavior to check to see if we acquired a barricade point
    AI.EndGoalPipe()

AI.BeginGoalPipe('UL_Ally_SiegeDefense_Try_Acquire')
        AI.PushGoal('timeout', 1, .1)                                                   -- Wait a short time
        AI.PushGoal('signal', 1, 1, 'TRY_ACQUIRE', SIGNALFILTER_SENDER)                 -- Tell the behavior to check to see if we acquired a barricade point
    AI.EndGoalPipe()

-- acquire a barricade target
    AI.BeginGoalPipe('UL_Ally_SiegeDefense_AcquireBarricadeTarget')
        AI.PushGoal('locate', 0, 'ULZombieBarricade', 15, 0)
        AI.PushGoal('+branch', 0, 'FOUND_ZOMBIE', IF_LASTOP_SUCCEED)
        AI.PushGoal('firecmd', 0, FIREMODE_OFF)
        AI.PushGoal('signal', 1, 1, 'ZOMBIE_CLEAR', SIGNALFILTER_SENDER)
        AI.PushGoal('branch', 0, 'END', BRANCH_ALWAYS)
        AI.PushLabel('FOUND_ZOMBIE')
            AI.PushGoal('+acqtarget', 0, '')
            AI.PushGoal('+ul_face', 1, 0)
            AI.PushGoal('+firecmd', 1, FIREMODE_AIM, AILASTOPRES_USE, 0.5, -1, AI_FIRECMD_CONTINUE_WHEN_DONE)
            AI.PushGoal('+firecmd', 0, FIREMODE_BURST, AILASTOPRES_USE)
            AI.PushGoal('signal', 1, 1, 'ZOMBIE_TARGETED', SIGNALFILTER_SENDER)
            AI.PushGoal('branch', 0, 'END', BRANCH_ALWAYS)
        AI.PushLabel('END')
    AI.EndGoalPipe()

-- shoot a barricade target
    AI.BeginGoalPipe('UL_Ally_SiegeDefense_ShootBarricadeTarget')
        AI.PushGoal('locate', 0, 'firetarget', 0, 0)
        --AI.PushGoal('+branch', 0, 'END', IF_LASTOP_FAILED)
        AI.PushGoal("acqtarget", 0, "");
            AI.PushGoal('+firecmd', 1, FIREMODE_AIM, AILASTOPRES_USE, 0.5, -1, AI_FIRECMD_CONTINUE_WHEN_DONE)
            AI.PushGoal('+firecmd', 0, FIREMODE_BURST, AILASTOPRES_USE)
        --AI.PushGoal('firecmd', 0, FIREMODE_OFF)
        AI.PushGoal('signal', 1, 1, 'ZOMBIE_LOST', SIGNALFILTER_SENDER)
        AI.PushLabel('END')
    AI.EndGoalPipe()

-- go to a barricade build location
    AI.BeginGoalPipe('UL_Ally_SiegeDefense_GoToBarricade')
        AI.PushGoal('+run', 0, 1)                                                   -- make sure the AI runs to the target
        AI.PushGoal('+locate', 0, 'refpoint')                                       -- use the reference point as the target barricade position
        AI.PushGoal('+approach', 1, 0.75, AILASTOPRES_USE)                          -- approach the builder position
        AI.PushGoal('+branch', 0, 'SUCCESS', IF_LASTOP_SUCCEED)
        AI.PushGoal("+signal", 1, 1, "GP_NPC_Pathfinding_Failed", SIGNALFILTER_SENDER);
        AI.PushGoal('+branch', 0, 'END', BRANCH_ALWAYS)
        AI.PushLabel("SUCCESS")
        AI.PushGoal('+signal', 0, 1, 'REACHED_BARRICADE', SIGNALFILTER_SENDER)      -- tell the entity it can build now
        AI.PushLabel("END")
    AI.EndGoalPipe()
If it isn't obvious, it's doing maybe like half of that stuff at the moment. Specifically, the lack of them firing is the issue that i've never seen happen, and never heard of anyone getting them to do. Furthermore, it looks like the home defense code might just be separate from the overall siege code (Unless they've just named the home and enclave siege AI the same as the various siege code in the code, in which case their coder needs to be slapped for creating readability issues.), just as the enclave code doesn't have NPC's automatically barricading. Which would explain why they just let the zombies waltz in and munch on them. Might be worth it to fix it so that at least home NPC's use the siege defense code if so.

Fire mode "burst" is apparently the default fire type as well. I haven't gotten around to trying in-game tweaks yet since i'm still in the reading phase, but i'm assuming it's the same method of insanely accurate type of shooting every watchtower NPC has. See the posts describing how NPC's were headshotting zombies from the tower through buildings for an example of how accurate they are.

The panic and sweep options are commented out everywhere i've seen them so far. Need to see if they have actual code for handling different fire modes actually working. Assuming they aren't actually activated in the game it might be worth it to work them into certain survivor actions. Sweep would be useful for larger zombie encounters if it works like how it sounds, and panicked fire would be good for atmosphere when you get mobbed.

There's also some junk code left over from Crysis. Most likely because it's running on the Cryengine. I've found some code for the characters from that game, what appears to be the level name definitions for Crysis 1, and part of the multiplayer related files from Crysis that almost certainly don't work.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 4, 2013

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Kasonic posted:

I've had a few guys get sick but never had anyone turn, but then again I also upgraded to the Infirmay almost immediately. Is there any indicator someone is going to turn other than "SICK"? If not that's terrifying.

(This is in reference to Breakdown)

When Ed had to be mercy killed he just showed as SICK, with it described as a cough. He had been at -60% stamina for a long time and wasn't recovering, a few others had gotten better in that time, other than that nothing that was any different to usual illness.

I don't know if this is usual for level 5 but mine began with an absolute bloodbath. Moved into the church to stripmine Spencer's Mill before moving down to Snyders, and took Maya out with an assault rifle to start unlocking the Rebel, but forgot to put a silencer on it. Right outside the gates I shoot one zombie, it's bloody loud, a load of little red dots appear on the map and it says I've alerted a horde. So run back inside, climb the watchtower and look down to see a ridiculous number of zombies running up to the walls. There's a few climbing over the far walls but mostly they are just absolutely swarming over the nearest one, more in the distance shambling up the hill, a few screamers and bloaters and armoured zombies mixed in as well.

There's absolutely no way down off the tower, so all I can do is use the slow down time skill to have Maya keep shooting the ones battering at the doors and windows with no way of knowing what's happening inside the actual church, making so much noise that more zombies keep hearing and all the hordes that show up at the start of the level gradually getting alerted and bringing more reinforcements. It seriously must have been ten minutes of constant zombies, I unlocked the Rebel in the last clip so shot at least 50, that and 3 firebombs thinned them out enough to jump down and sprint into the church where the other survivors were all absolutely fine, six of them just dogpiling as soon as anything got inside. Then it was swinging a crutch around with them, then going outside to pick off the remainders.

I had 39/100 unlocked for the Hero at the end, so between that and 50-odd from the tower, plus the firebombs, it must have been over a hundred zombies killed in the battle, and it was ridiculously cool, if a little disappointing that even all that couldn't actually kill any of the crew. That said, a feral or juggernaut running around in all that mess would have been very problematic.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

I had 39/100 unlocked for the Hero at the end, so between that and 50-odd from the tower, plus the firebombs, it must have been over a hundred zombies killed in the battle, and it was ridiculously cool, if a little disappointing that even all that couldn't actually kill any of the crew. That said, a feral or juggernaut running around in all that mess would have been very problematic.

Zombies just start getting really lethal around level 5. Try letting one bite you. It'll take off about 20 percent of your HP. Their scratches aren't as much of an issue. So long as they can head them off at the entrance, NPC survivors seem to be pretty good at avoiding getting bitten too.

That being said, wait until you hit level 6. For me there was a massive upsurge in the number of Big'un's running around, most hordes appeared to be accompanied by a freak, and I think the dots showing where zombies were disappeared from the map.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

unicr0n posted:

I don't see any option to request a 'Check In', am I missing something?

Forgive the lovely quality, it's a cellphone photo of a TV.

I think they have to have the 'Away From Home' status for it to show up as an option. It doesn't really do anything, it just shows you where they are and lets you go meet up with them if you want to, but it's kind of a cool little touch.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

On the topic of missing features, does fuel actually decrease the more you drive? Because I don't think I've seen that even though it was mentioned in some game tip/text.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The only thing I ever see fuel used for is outposts traps and making molotovs in the workshop.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Drighton posted:

On the topic of missing features, does fuel actually decrease the more you drive? Because I don't think I've seen that even though it was mentioned in some game tip/text.

I'm pretty sure someone specifically said we can use fuel for molotov's but we'd drive so little it wouldn't be a concern.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm pretty sure someone specifically said we can use fuel for molotov's but we'd drive so little it wouldn't be a concern.

Yeah, the game's interface actually says that. Which is silly, because I drive everywhere, but whatever.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

I think they have to have the 'Away From Home' status for it to show up as an option. It doesn't really do anything, it just shows you where they are and lets you go meet up with them if you want to, but it's kind of a cool little touch.

Still trying to figure out if that actually does anything. So far it seems just like an extra fetch task. Not sure if they go out and collect gear or something, but i've had them show up at buildings I cleaned out of resources but left an item or two.

Really hard to test what it does in game as well. Have to keep track of all of the buildings you loot and hope you remember what the leftovers in each one are.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Spent a lot of time this afternoon tracking down some drat backpacks. At least I have 2 now. My trip up to the woods starter zone was pretty drat shady with no cars and an untrained guy, but managed to find some.

This did not help, the nearest car was a little bit of a hike away.

Do I need to hit the "load up" button before I can tell people to get in the RV or is that the "go" button that sends you to the next level?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
First time you select the RV to move it will be a little green person-with-a-plus-next-to-them icon, that means it's loading people up time. So go to the survivors list and select them so they appear greyed out like Lily does, choose the lucky few until Lily says "that's all, unless someone wants to ride on the roof lol". Then go back to the base screen and the RV will show a green icon with an arrow next to it, that's what sends you on your way.

Alfie94
Nov 9, 2013
This game can pretty much be summed up with "If Betheseda made a thirdperson zombie survival sandbox".

great aesthetics, great gameplay mechanics, very addictive, immersive... buggy as poo poo.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Car physics killed my first character. Ian, the cosplaying comic book nerd smoker, was tooling around a farm when I managed to hit a tiny rock going way too fast. The car shot into the air like a rocket, and three barrel rolls later I was roof-side down with a horde and a Feral chasing me. With 40% stamina, no snacks, no meds, and a sack full of ammo on my back, I watched that poor bastard get ripped in half.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Why the actual gently caress does literally every single male survivor in Breakdown sound like that obnoxious whiny sarcastic dude with Reflexes who's friends with the starting dude in the main campaign, and better yet, is there any way I can make it not so?

Got the priest dude as a hero, he's got whiny sarcastic guy's voice. Lily's brother, ditto. One of the Wilkinsons, ditto. It's ridiculous.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I really enjoy this game but man, carrying a rucksack back to the outpost everytime gets so tiring. Is there a way to automate it? Or do I have to hoof it/drive everytime

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

cyxx posted:

I really enjoy this game but man, carrying a rucksack back to the outpost everytime gets so tiring. Is there a way to automate it? Or do I have to hoof it/drive everytime

You can use the radio to call in a runner to carry rucksacks for you, but there's a cooldown and they also only carry one sack at a time. They really loving need to add the ability to dump rucksacks into the back of a pickup truck. It would eliminate the worst and most boring part of the game (painstakingly lugging back resources one by one), and there is absolutely no logical reason why you wouldn't be able to do it.

Hell, you know what else they could do? Let you call in runners plural, instead of a runner. I've got 24 people tooling around my base, why can't I just say 'hey guys, I've got five loads of resources that need to be carried here, send out five dudes'? At the moment they just send them out one at a time to carry one randomly-selected resource from the site, which is barely an improvement over just carrying the stuff back yourself.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

Sick characters take a HUGE hit to stamina. My main character got sick, went from -20 to -80 stamina in about 10 minutes of looting. Staggering home with a rucksack is not a good place to be.
Yeah, actually I had some time to do a bit of testing A. Because I had the day off and spent a fair bit of it playing and B. because there's an epidemic going around my home that even a fully upgraded infirmary with trained doctor can't seem to get rid of. It seems that the initial hit to stamina from being sick is pretty drat small, only like 10 points when most people have more than a hundred if you've been upping their cardio and what not. The real problem is that they get exhausted when out in the world faster. Like, way faster. I didn't time it because I'm not that level of :spergin: but they seemed to tire out at least 2x faster, if not 3x. Maybe the person who's tearing apart the games code could see what the exact number is. Anyway, it translates out to a severe hit in how much they can do, especially when traveling on foot.

Mister Bates posted:

Hell, you know what else they could do? Let you call in runners plural, instead of a runner. I've got 24 people tooling around my base, why can't I just say 'hey guys, I've got five loads of resources that need to be carried here, send out five dudes'? At the moment they just send them out one at a time to carry one randomly-selected resource from the site, which is barely an improvement over just carrying the stuff back yourself.
This is even more annoying because that's exactly what they say they're doing. Lily actually says "I'll send anyone who's available" which kind of implies multiple people.

Tehan posted:

Why the actual gently caress does literally every single male survivor in Breakdown sound like that obnoxious whiny sarcastic dude with Reflexes who's friends with the starting dude in the main campaign, and better yet, is there any way I can make it not so?

Got the priest dude as a hero, he's got whiny sarcastic guy's voice. Lily's brother, ditto. One of the Wilkinsons, ditto. It's ridiculous.
That's one of the things that's really starting to annoy me about Breakdown. I'm loving the gameplay thus far but could they really not get ahold of the voice actors they used for the story campaign? I've gotten the Military captain from the main game who's voice I remember being all sharp and authoritative and now she just sounds like every other female survivor.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 5, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Feeble posted:

This is even more annoying because that's exactly what they say they're doing. Lily actually says "I'll send anyone who's available" which kind of implies multiple people.

That's one of the things that's really starting to annoy me about Breakdown. I'm loving the gameplay thus far but could they really not get ahold of the voice actors they used for the story campaign? I've gotten the Military captain from the main game who's voice I remember being all sharp and authoritative and now she just sounds like every other female survivor.

Good news. It took me like 12 hours, but I believe I figured out a way to modify almost every part of the game. Was a royal pain in the rear end to do too. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is the geographical layout of the level Breakdown takes on itself, but it sounds like you might even be able to do that with the Cryengine SDK going off of what the devs have said.

I had to find an app to extract the PAK files into a readable/editable format for people, and then find an app that'd get them back into a readable format the game can use. And the forums are down again too, so I had no support there. :stonk: Though from what it sounds like it seems like most mods that were being made were made using a hex editor before now. Which means the forums probably wouldn't have been much help anyways. Also means that if this works that's a huge step forward for modding the game, assuming it hasn't become widespread yet.

Sounds like most mods were made via a hex editor prior to now, which made it a pain in the rear end to do anything other than editing numerical variables. The way i'm doing it is actually unpacking those files I posted excerpts from up above, then recompiling them into their win.bmd format. Win.bmd was the big issue with making mods before since it's not exactly a standard file type. In reality it turns out a win.bmd file is just a converted XML file. After some searching I managed to find a program that automatically converts a XML file to a win.BMD file. Meaning you can set up large scale changes really fast, and make some crazy changes like editing the AI behavior and even the base gameplay of the game as well.

I'll post the method to extract/compile the files once I get all the apps rared together and a readme explaining what to do written out. Also, I should probably make sure everything is working with Breakdown. Assuming you can also plug in LUA's (The game prioritizes "loose" files over the PAK's.) into the data folders, the end result is that you can do anything up to and potentially including pretty much coding your own features from scratch. I'm pretty sure the PAK files actually contain all of the code the game runs on too, so holy poo poo.

I should add that this also includes things like being able to make entirely new characters (With new models, once I dredge up a way to get them in a readable format.), new traits, new radio skills, new and edited AI behaviors, and literally pretty much anything else that can be thought of.

cyxx posted:

Once I get a chance i'll make sure my idea works by making a mod that removes the cooldown from runners, letting you call as many as you want so long as you have free NPC's. :getin:

Only thing I need to set up now is a way to import models to the game. But I think I have a lead on that as well. Steam has a modding group that mentions a way to mess with models. Need to read up on what they've found so far.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 10, 2013

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

Thanks for posting that, I'm playing on the PC and I just don't see that option at all. I only ever see 'Swap to'.

I also wish you could prioritise scrounging.. we have an abundance of food and meds and desperately need building supplies, but the AI just keeps on bringing more food home.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Feeble posted:

Yeah "Do I have to? Okay...." and "Why can't everything be this easy?" in a whiny teenager voice don't sound like something that a hardened military taskmaster would say.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

unicr0n posted:

I also wish you could prioritise scrounging.. we have an abundance of food and meds and desperately need building supplies, but the AI just keeps on bringing more food home.

Put the food & meds into ruck sacks, drop them, then request scavengers. Scavengers only grab new in the box resources.

Archonex posted:

Good news then. It took me like 12 hours, but I believe I figured out a way to modify almost every part of the game.

Awesome.

Archonex posted:

Sounds like most mods were made via a hex editor prior to now, which made it a pain in the rear end to do anything other than editing numerical variables. The way i'm doing it is actually unpacking those files I posted excerpts from up above, then recompiling them into their win.bmd format. Win.bmd was the big issue with making mods before since it's not exactly a standard file type. In reality it turns out a win.bmd file is just a converted XML file. After some searching I managed to find a program that automatically converts a XML file to a win.BMD file. Meaning you can set up large scale changes really fast, and make some crazy changes like editing the AI behavior and even the base gameplay of the game as well.

Yep, although one guy had manually decoded a few of the Win.bmd files, but I think they gave up to wait for Breakdown. This is extremely awesome. Can you link to the XML to win.BMD coverter? Last I tried modding I couldn't find a converter that worked.

Archonex posted:

Only thing I need to set up now is a way to import models to the game. But I think I have a lead on that as well. Steam has a modding group that mentions a way to mess with models. Need to read up on what they've found so far.

IIRC they were just swapping the model files around. I don't know if they found a more sophisticated method after I stopped following SOD modding.

Breakdown has further cemented The Alamo as the most fun base. When I get to Breakdown 6 I am going there, taking the silencers off all my NPCs' guns and having constant throw downs in the supermarket parking lot out front.

e:

^^^

What's even better is when the survivor changes voice between telling their sob story and their random comments.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So good news. Just tried my method of modding the game and it works. I altered the time to recharge the call scavengers ability so that it only takes 5 seconds. This means that you can always call community members to scavenge a location/pick up goods so long as they're not all busy with another task. I'll upload the mod to dropbox once I get a free moment.

quote:

Yep, although one guy had manually decoded a few of the Win.bmd files, but I think they gave up to wait for Breakdown. This is extremely awesome. Can you link to the XML to win.BMD coverter? Last I tried modding I couldn't find a converter that worked.

I'll have to do it when I get home. Currently out and about, and don't have the free time to write up a manual on how to make mods for the game, how to install them, how to recompile them, etc, etc. I'll upload all of that stuff with the mod I made.

If there's any other modifications people would like to see between now and then, just post here. Small stuff like altering cooldown times, changing prices on items, etc, etc, doesn't take much time at all once I find the variable in the code. Could be a good opportunity to take some of the clunkier stuff out of the game.

I also just found the code that handles entity limits for the world map. Meaning number of enclaves in the world for breakdown and story mode, max number of hordes, max number of infestations, max number of zombies in the world, max number of survivors, max number of hero survivors, etc, etc. Can mess about with them too if anyone has any ideas on changes.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Is the Romero mod a option included in the Breakdown DLC? I don't see any mention in the OP.
If the title is anything to go by, the OP is extremely outdated. The Romero mod is a mod some lunatic apparently made by using a hex editor or whatever method people were using until now. The Undead Lab forums were down again when I checked them, so it's kind of hard for me to see how he made it.

quote:

Great. Well at least I know now it's just the game.

Even better news! I now have my next project on what to look at fixing in the code. :science:

If you can talk to them to send them home, i'll look at commenting out the code that handles dismissing them on the start of a mission. Hopefully it won't create too many bugs. Only thing I can think of that'd be an issue is when you already have four survivors following you. Not sure if five would fit into a truck, or even if it'll let you have that many/take them into missions.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 5, 2013

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Is the Romero mod a option included in the Breakdown DLC? I don't see any mention in the OP.

gently caress the ROW posted:

It happens to me every single time I get into a mission with other survivors. It's kind of annoying if you just hired the guy. Breakdown is a lot of fun, I'm only level 2 (didn't know how to load people on the RV etc) and moved into Savini's once I managed to pick up five people - base defending the unsheltered RV with only Lily and a wounded Ed was already tough. I haven't hit the military place yet and things are certainly harder than level 1.
Great. Well at least I know now it's just the game.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

I'm assuming this is out of reach of simple property changes but how possible would it be to have any scavengers accompanying you be the first one called when you radio for support?

I'm really amazed and happy at how easy this game seems to be able to be modded. Great job, those clevererer than me.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Archonex posted:

So good news. Just tried my method of modding the game and it works. I altered the time to recharge the call scavengers ability so that it only takes 5 seconds. This means that you can always call community members to scavenge a location/pick up goods so long as they're not all busy with another task. I'll upload the mod to dropbox once I get a free moment.

You are a god amongst men

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Archonex posted:

If there's any other modifications people would like to see between now and then, just post here. Small stuff like altering cooldown times, changing prices on items, etc, etc, doesn't take much time at all once I find the variable in the code. Could be a good opportunity to take some of the clunkier stuff out of the game.

Wow, can I make several requests? I don't know if you'd have to put them all together or if they each would be a separate file that could be thrown in mix-n-match style, whatever. I super appreciate it.

1. I loving hate Juggernauts, those big fat undead fucks. gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them. Can you remove them, or (since I think some missions are scripted to spawn them) just adjust their health down to face-fulla buckshot?

2. Readjust some resource gains to make Outposts and Facilities more generous. Like Double the inventory gear that pops in to the locker, or the Food Gains from Gardens. Top Priority - make Outposts generate like 10 [Resource] : 1 Material so I can make fully autonomous collectives :allears:

3. Rambo Mode - Gun and ammo spawn rates are outrageous.

4. Heroes of Trumbull - All survivors spawn as heroes, or the rates are much higher. Everybody gets Leadership, Nimble, and Powerhouse!

Thank you very much in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

Yeah "Do I have to? Okay...." and "Why can't everything be this easy?" in a whiny teenager voice don't sound like something that a hardened military taskmaster would say.
Even better was when I got her she started giving the speech that a survivor with "homebody" has, about how they didn't go out much before the zombies came and I'm sitting there listening to it:
:j::"I never really used to leave the house much, I didn't really know anybody"
:raise:: You lived on a military base...and you were a captain so you for sure knew lots of people who you commanded.
:j::"I probably didn't even know the way to the post office"
:raise::The post office is in the base!
I'm kind of shocked they didn't spend ten seconds thinking about.

Archonex posted:

If it's possible could you change the amount of ammunition that normally shows up in your home locker when you start the game (or at the start of each day, whichever it is). It normally only gives you like 30 rounds of each which is loving silly when you're lugging home child-sized rucksacks full of ammo every now and then. Could you change it to something like 300-400 for each round (excluding .50 cal and grenade launcher rounds, obviously) so that I can actually use the guns I acquire. And if you can, maybe just go ahead and make another more silly version with like 10,000 rounds for all guns, heavies included for when people just want to run around blasting everything.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 5, 2013

• Locked thread