Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Has he ever met Marc? I'm curious if there's going to be any baggage going in, as that always makes the best kind of interview where Marc has to start off with 5 minutes of apologizing for being a dick.

I've met him. He was cranky but still kinda nice and basically exactly the way you would imagine him to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Yep. This was one of the best shows I've ever heard.

I know he has had issues with drugs, but I didn't realise it was meth.

I've seen Sebadoh and Dinosaur Jr quite a few times now, but maybe a year or two ago I saw Lou Barlow doing a solo show for the first time. It was great, I don't really get into his solo albums much and he was reluctant to do Sebadoh songs, but it was a small crowd, intimate venue and he was hilarious just bantering with the crowd. Talking about everything, dramas with his Mother, Evan Dando, watching people cover his music on youtube etc. He has a set list of about 3 songs and the rest is just what the crowd wants to hear.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Dancing Potato posted:

I've met him. He was cranky but still kinda nice and basically exactly the way you would imagine him to be.

met who?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
One of the best live shows I've ever attended was a Lou Barlow solo show (supposed to be a Folk Implosion show, but the other guy never showed up) in 1999 or 2000. It was just Lou, an acoustic guitar, and a sampler/drum machine in a small club in Philly. He played an acoustic cover of Foreigner's "Cold as Ice" that made it into the most poignant breakup song ever.

I haven't been listening to WTF in a while because I kind of got tired of Marc, but I'll definitely have to give this one a listen. Meth, for real?! Wow.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp
A musician used speed?!!!!!???! Woah

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Yes, every professional musician has a 2 year crystal meth bender that leaves them with permanent tics.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

Pocket Billiards posted:

Yes, every professional musician has a 2 year crystal meth bender that leaves them with permanent tics.

You took the idea of saying it's not surprising a single musician has used speed in his past, and turned it into saying that EVVVEERRRYYY musician has used speed. Good job~~~

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

roach cum puddle posted:

A musician used speed?!!!!!???! Woah

It's especially surprising for Barlow, who tends to be a melancholic and subdued guy both on record and in person. When John Darnielle tells you he was on speed, it makes a ton of sense. With Barlow, it's more surprising that it wasn't quaaludes or heroin given his general disposition.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my surprise was due to the personality of the musician in question, not the fact that some musician somewhere used meth.

What other recent WTF episodes are must-listen? I need to catch up.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Yeah, my surprise was due to the personality of the musician in question, not the fact that some musician somewhere used meth.

Looking back on the last 50 episodes which are free to download, the only one I'd say is a must listen is the Cheech & Chong episode. I think he's had more musicians and actors than comedians in those free 50.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Natasha Lyonne was pretty terrific - one of the drugs and depravity ones Marc does so well, but still pretty funny the whole way through.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

CM Punk.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's weird that Marc sometimes gets really personal and dives into the dark poo poo people did, and other times he doesn't. There are a few guests like David Sedaris (who lost a decade to isolated alcoholism) where it never comes up, and others where it's the whole episode.

I guess he either doesn't always do his research or just is just good at playing the person live and decides that's not what they should talk about in the moment.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

GraPar posted:

Natasha Lyonne was pretty terrific - one of the drugs and depravity ones Marc does so well, but still pretty funny the whole way through.

Yup I would add that one too. Isn't that also the episode where Marc talks about breaking off his engagement?

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
The Jim Breuer episode from a few weeks ago was pretty good. I probably would have skipped that one, but people posted positively about it in this thread. Breuer seems like a genuinely nice guy, and he dishes on insider SNL stuff plus why Marc wasn't hired there.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's weird that Marc sometimes gets really personal and dives into the dark poo poo people did, and other times he doesn't. There are a few guests like David Sedaris (who lost a decade to isolated alcoholism) where it never comes up, and others where it's the whole episode.

I guess he either doesn't always do his research or just is just good at playing the person live and decides that's not what they should talk about in the moment.

By isolated alcoholism do you mean he was a recluse for a decade or something? I've never heard about this.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Yup I would add that one too. Isn't that also the episode where Marc talks about breaking off his engagement?

Yes it is.

Of the last 50, some of my favorites were: CM Punk, Jim Breuer, Simon Majumdar, Natasha Lyonne, Catherine O'Hara, Michael McKean, Cheech and Chong, and Iggy Pop.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Holy poo poo, Ken Marino!!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'll second the CM Punk recommendation. If it matters, this is coming from someone who hasn't watched wrestling for an extended period since Stone Cold's prime.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

Not doing research is what makes Larry King a horrible interviewer. If Marc was having politicians on that needed to be called out I'd probably feel the same way. Instead it can really work for him.

Great timing for Ken Marino, I finished watching Party Down two days ago.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Hey, thanks for recommending the Jim Breuer episode, guys! I never would've thought it'd be as good as it was, but him being a fan of Marc from the Air America days and the SNL part and all made it a fantastic listen! He was on SNL in the era I started watching, so I always remember him from that, but the change of pace for him is amazing. Gonna check out his special since I've seen it in the Netflix stand-up section but never thought to give it a go until now.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I like to imagine early 90s Marc stumbling on an episode of The State during a 3AM coke bender where he thinks OH MY GOD THESE GUYS ARE HUGE! THEY'RE INTERNATIONAL SENSATIONS AND I'M JUST DOING SPOTS AT THE COMEDY STORE!!!

Because why else would he mention The State were huge to literally every single member of that troupe who has appeared on his podcast?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Edgar Wright, CM Punk, Johnny Knoxville, Jim Breuer, Moon Zappa, Natasha Lyonne, Josh Homme, Dan Savage, Michael McKean, Maynard James Keenan, Simon Pegg, Bill Hader, Nick Cave, David Sedaris, Cheech and Chong, and Iggy Pop are interviews that I've enjoyed from the ones that are still available on ITunes.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I decided to buy a 30 subscription to WTF's archive so I can hear the Gallagher interview in full. I do agree that Marc came off a bit bad when they started talking about his racial jokes. It's a shame though that Gallagher left when he did because I was more interested in him talking about how comics who talk about their personal life on stage or can't work a more general audience aren't real comics, just people using a stage as therapy. He's wrong, but it's an actual discussion I wanted to hear more of.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I decided to buy a 30 subscription to WTF's archive so I can hear the Gallagher interview in full. I do agree that Marc came off a bit bad when they started talking about his racial jokes. It's a shame though that Gallagher left when he did because I was more interested in him talking about how comics who talk about their personal life on stage or can't work a more general audience aren't real comics, just people using a stage as therapy. He's wrong, but it's an actual discussion I wanted to hear more of.

It became clear he was off his rocker when he said, "yeah, he's but they'll never work a state fair" without a touch of irony.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Will Ferrill seems like a very nice, quiet guy. Nothing earth shattering but it was a good interview.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it weird that I'm looking forward to the Yakov Smirnoff episode on Thursday?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

No. After so many musicians and other non-comedians that didn't work out so well, Yakov might make for a good one.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Snowy posted:

No. After so many musicians and other non-comedians that didn't work out so well, Yakov might make for a good one.

Well the preview had a story about Andrew Dice Clay getting blowjobs in Marc's bathtub so it's a must listen to me now.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groucho Marxist posted:

Well the preview had a story about Andrew Dice Clay getting blowjobs in Marc's bathtub so it's a must listen to me now.

Sold

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
honestly I think the marginalized comedians are a lot better than the people who have great careers usually. When a big movie or tv star shows up you know they're gonna be pretty professional and affable because they've done a zillion interviews, and they're probably really media savvy which is how they've maintained a big career to begin with.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Yakov's story has to be interesting. I'm guessing he's very likeable too.

Also I bought a VHS of this for $1, just for the hell of it, on the street in Brooklyn a few years ago. The entire audience seems made up of 50 year-olds and over.

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Off-The-Boat-Smirnoff/dp/B00150WALG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386718638&sr=8-2&keywords=yakov+smirnoff

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Apparently Yakov does a weekly show at the Acme Comedy Club on La Brea. Or that's what I've surmised from driving past his big rear end face every week.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

substitute posted:

Yakov's story has to be interesting. I'm guessing he's very likeable too.

Also I bought a VHS of this for $1, just for the hell of it, on the street in Brooklyn a few years ago. The entire audience seems made up of 50 year-olds and over.

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Off-The-Boat-Smirnoff/dp/B00150WALG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386718638&sr=8-2&keywords=yakov+smirnoff

Act fast people, you too can see these 50 year olds for the low price of 38 bucks!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Will Ferrell is loving great. That is one of the few times I actually think marc was pretty star struck. You could tell he was really enjoying it constantly laughing.

I'm really glad when stars I really like turn out to be really cool. I felt this way about Dave grohl as well, he is like the best dude ever.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
It was great to hear a subdued Will Ferrell talking about his upbringing and early career, etc. Just seeing a big celebrity talking about these things that never come up in the usual interviews which are all soft-headed promotional guff.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I think I heard him on Fresh Air or something talking about how he worked in a bank and when his manager found out he did comedy he walked up pointed at him and said "you're not funny", because he was so low key and serious when he was working.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've been barreling through Welcome to Night Vale all week but I'm starting to catch up on my other podcasts and I listened to Ken Marino and Will Ferrell today. They were both solid episodes. I still love Ferrell's briefcase story.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Solid live episode today. Jon Wurster is consistently funny and Scott Aukerman is great with Maron because they just give each other poo poo (kinda like Maron and Michael Ian Black).

Still haven't listened to Yakov Smirnoff yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Yakov's ep is really good. I didn't know his story prior to this though (I honestly thought his whole act was schtick and had no idea he was actually Ukranian) and I found it really interesting primarily because of that, probably. He's a funny guy.

• Locked thread