Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

One of the draft experts: Jackson Jeffcoat and Cedric Reed are smashing preseason expectations and dominating backfields. Are there any projections for these guys? (I assume Reed will be entering after this year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

bhsman posted:

If the Jaguars draft McCarron 1st/2nd overall due to moxie I will laugh forever, even if he ends up owning.

I hope the Texans draft Manziel #1 overall. :mad:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

PrinceRandom posted:

Huh. Walter football has 4 QBs going in the top 10. Are teams really going to be that desperate for Carr or Hundley or Manziel?

Hundley moreso than the other two.

Don't trust WalterFootball or any projections before the combine, though

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

xeria posted:

I hope the Texans draft Manziel #1 overall. :mad:

It would have the same effect on me. :v:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

PrinceRandom posted:

Huh. Walter football has 4 QBs going in the top 10. Are teams really going to be that desperate for Carr or Hundley or Manziel?

This time last year Geno Smith and Matt Barkley were still projected first round picks by most people. Projections don't mean much right now.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SunshineDanceParty posted:

This time last year Geno Smith and Matt Barkley were still projected first round picks by most people. Projections don't mean much right now.

Agreed, QBs especially get jumbled a whole lot, especially guys who're slated as late firsts early seconds. Most of those guys slide really quickly once the closer looks come into it and they get into the senior bowl.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I know JFF is a risky pick but if Logan loving Thomas goes before him then why even bother playing the games

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Doctor Candiru posted:

McCarron is only an average quarterback at best, and that's when he's absolutely surrounded with incredible talent
So he's gonna go to the Beng...

Doctor Candiru posted:

and superb coaching.
...oh

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
If I was a fan of a team with the hots for A.J. McCarron I'd be much more worried about the spectacular bust rate of Alabama QBs in the NFL.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

If I was a fan of a team with the hots for A.J. McCarron I'd be much more worried about the spectacular bust rate of Alabama QBs in the NFL.

What QB has really been a bust? Or do you mean just sucks poo poo and weren't even drafted?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Since 1980 none of them have been taken high enough to really be considered busts, more like wash outs I'd think. The closest would be a third round Brodie Croyle and after that you get into Jay Barker in the 5th who never played that I know, McElroy in the 7th and Dave Shula in the 12th. Unless you're still angry about Richard Todd somehow it looks like Bama QBs are largely ignored by the NFL like they should be.

As a side note I believe Brodie is the highest the Chiefs have taken a shot at the QB position in the draft since the immortal Mike Elkins toward the top of the 2nd in 1989.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And I can't imagine the Chiefs draft a QB anytime soon either. They seem to be satisfied with Alex Smith and he's only 29, so he'll be playing at least another 5-6 years.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Quest For Glory II posted:

And I can't imagine the Chiefs draft a QB anytime soon either. They seem to be satisfied with Alex Smith and he's only 29, so he'll be playing at least another 5-6 years.

I can see them taking a flyer on someone like Logan Thomas, not unlike what the Broncos did with Brock Osweiler (except the timeline is much shorter as far as Peyton's career goes).

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

My favorite stat is that the last time a QB drafted by the Chiefs won a game for them was 1987.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If Smith keeps playing well enough to make me hate the receivers more than him I won't complain (although I don't expect that to happen), but I wasn't really whining. I mean I have and will complain in the future about never taking a shot on someone but in this instance I was just reminded of the Blackledge curse and it's a weird thing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
More big news: Zach Mettenberger has a torn ACL, will miss the entire draft process.

So...good luck trying to evaluate him any further. He's now an even bigger question mark than he already was.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I was not a fan of Mettenberger because I don't like a QB who cannot improvise, but the ACL won't make him undrafted I don't think. It might make him a third day selection. A third day pick on a QB with good physical tools and frame that you expect to put on IR his first year is not unheard of, I guess.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I was not a fan of Mettenberger because I don't like a QB who cannot improvise, but the ACL won't make him undrafted I don't think. It might make him a third day selection. A third day pick on a QB with good physical tools and frame that you expect to put on IR his first year is not unheard of, I guess.

I wasn't trying to imply that this hurts his stock, but it sure as poo poo didn't help it. With the QB class suddenly looking thin, just a halfway-decent Senior Bowl and Combine could have put him in the 2nd-3rd round.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

My favorite stat is that the last time a QB drafted by the Chiefs won a game for them was 1987.

This isn't so mind blowing. The last time the saints won with a drafted qb was Danny Wuerffel. And that was only because the starter was injured and he won two games before leaving to tear it up in Europe.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The Texans should draft Clowney and get Jimmy Garoppolo in the 4th or whatever.

I have a feeling he's going to sneak up into the 2nd round or so come draft day. Best QB I've seen in college football this year. I know people point to the level of competition he's faced, but he absolutely torched both FBS schools he played this year and that included a game against Northern Illinois in Dekalb.

If the Bears have to franchise Cutler, I was hoping they'd draft him as a backup in the middle rounds.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MJBuddy posted:

This isn't so mind blowing. The last time the saints won with a drafted qb was Danny Wuerffel. And that was only because the starter was injured and he won two games before leaving to tear it up in Europe.

11 years later? Goddamnit now I'm going to have to look aren't I?

pre:
Team		Player			Year Won  	Year Drafted  
New England	Tom Brady		2013		2000
Miami		Ryan Tannehill		2013		2012
New York J	Geno Smith		2013		2013
Buffalo		EJ Manuel		2013		2013
Cincinnati	Andy Dalton		2013		2011
Baltimore	Joe Flacco		2013		2008
Pittsburgh	Ben Roethlisberger	2013		2004
Cleveland	Brandon Weeden		2012		2012
Indianapolis	Andrew Luck		2013		2012
Tennessee	Jake Locker		2013		2011
Jacksonville	Blaine Gabbert		2012		2011
Houston		T.J. Yates		2011		2011
Denver		Tim Tebow		2011		2010
Kansas City	Todd Blackledge		1989		1983
San Diego*	Drew Brees		2005		2001
Oakland*	Terrelle Pryor		2013		2011 (supplemental)
Philadelphia	Nick Foles		2013		2012
Dallas		Stephen McGee		2010		2009
New York G*	Danny Kanell		1998		1996
Washington	Robert Griffin III	2013		2012
Detroit		Matthew Stafford	2013		2009
Chicago		Kyle Orton		2008		2005
Green Bay	Aaron Rodgers		2013		2005
Minnesota	Christian Ponder	2013		2011
Carolina	Cam Newton		2013		2011
New Orleans	Danny Wuerffel		1998		1997
Tampa Bay	Mike Glennon		2013		2013
Atlanta		Matt Ryan		2013		2008
Seattle		Russell Wilson		2013		2012
San Francisco	Colin Kaepernick	2013		2011
Arizona		Ryan Lindley		2012		2012
St Louis	Sam Bradford		2013		2010
SD*-Obviously for all real purposes it's Rivers, but if we're being technical
Oakland*-If supplemental doesn't count in anyone's mind it would be Jamarcus in 2009, drafted 2007
NYG*-Obviously the reverse of SD's *

If anyone's curious the last QB drafted by KC to win any game was Steve Stenstrom, who won one (and only one) game for Chicago in 1998.

Congrats, you have the one other real instance of this in the league which was more than a full goddamned decade later than KC, with the draft where he was picked a full 14 years later. Way to loving go, yeah this isn't rare at all.

Now I'm whining about KC never taking a chance on anyone.

e: Christ all that work and I can't figure out how many years a decade is? I have no idea what I was thinking. Still the point is there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 4, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah but I mean, does winning a game with Ryan Lindley as quarterback really count?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ok if we skip Lindley John Skelton won lots of games! Matt Lienart won many games! John Navarre...ok that never happened. But Josh McCown won games!

I don't pretend that the stat is really that important, or honestly important at all. But for MJBuddy to come in who's team is quarterbacked by Drew Brees and say 'it isn't that weird :smug:' got to me.

All I want to do is to either fall in love with a terrible quarterback the Chiefs picked in the first. Or probably really hate the team for wasting a top draft pick on a QB (I originally wrote someone but lord there's enough ammo there in other positions) for once since I was like 5 years old, is that so much to ask?

I'd settle for the Chiefs picking up a broken quarterback no one wanted who turned into Drew loving Brees for the record. I'm sure Alex Smith will be there any day.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yeah but I mean, does winning a game with Ryan Lindley as quarterback really count?

The dozens of SDSU fans say yes :colbert:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

Yes, yes teams will be. Outside of some rumor that walterfootball has been floating around, I don't see anything that would indicate Hundley is going to declare.

Elotana posted:

I know JFF is a risky pick but if Logan loving Thomas goes before him then why even bother playing the games

Logan Thomas best shot at getting drafted would be to agree with a position change.

I'd say the Chiefs passing on a QB is a fair assumption, although I don't think "well we're set with Alex Smith" is the reason. From what I've heard, they are high on Tyler Bray.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

All I want to do is to either fall in love with a terrible quarterback the Chiefs picked in the first. Or probably really hate the team for wasting a top draft pick on a QB (I originally wrote someone but lord there's enough ammo there in other positions) for once since I was like 5 years old, is that so much to ask?

I was once like you. Now I have a much deeper appreciation of what Andrew Walter's contributions mean to me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I can see them taking a flyer on someone like Logan Thomas, not unlike what the Broncos did with Brock Osweiler (except the timeline is much shorter as far as Peyton's career goes).

Andy Reid is unafraid of taking a back up QB to develop. In his time in Philly he picked up McNabb (1), Kolb (2), Feeley (5), Andy Hall (6), he also brought in Jeff Garcia, helped grow favre after he was traded to Green bay and pretty much reformed Vick into something resembling an effective passer.

The dude is good at polishing turds and seems to like doing so. Alex Smith is probably going to be his guy, because one could argue he needs better receivers but I wouldn't be shocked to see Kansas City take a flier on someone in the 2nd or 3rd round if they're there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, look at this. This is every skill position starter for the Raiders the last 2 weeks.

QB Matt McGloin - undrafted

RB Rashad Jennings - 7th round (FA 13)

FB Marcel Reece -- undrafted

WR Rod Streater - undrafted

WR Andre Holmes - undrafted (FA 13)

TE Jeron Mastrud - undrafted (FA 13)

TE Mychal Rivera - 6th round

Why do I even read this thread.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

loving lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How did we lose to that team?! :suicide:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kirios posted:

How did we lose to that team?! :suicide:

I ask myself that about you.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Our UFA's are just that much better than yours, bro.

:tipshat:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I will say that Dennis Allen coached circles around us that game. I think he'll be the head coach you guys have been desperately looking for since Gruden.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

BlindSite posted:

Andy Reid is unafraid of taking a back up QB to develop. In his time in Philly he picked up McNabb (1), Kolb (2), Feeley (5), Andy Hall (6), he also brought in Jeff Garcia, helped grow favre after he was traded to Green bay and pretty much reformed Vick into something resembling an effective passer.

Also drafted Nick Foles a year after giving Vick an extension

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Grittybeard posted:

11 years later? Goddamnit now I'm going to have to look aren't I?

pre:
Team		Player			Year Won  	Year Drafted  
New England	Tom Brady		2013		2000
Miami		Ryan Tannehill		2013		2012
New York J	Geno Smith		2013		2013
Buffalo		EJ Manuel		2013		2013
Cincinnati	Andy Dalton		2013		2011
Baltimore	Joe Flacco		2013		2008
Pittsburgh	Ben Roethlisberger	2013		2004
Cleveland	Brandon Weeden		2012		2012
Indianapolis	Andrew Luck		2013		2012
Tennessee	Jake Locker		2013		2011
Jacksonville	Blaine Gabbert		2012		2011
Houston		T.J. Yates		2011		2011
Denver		Tim Tebow		2011		2010
Kansas City	Todd Blackledge		1989		1983
San Diego*	Drew Brees		2005		2001
Oakland*	Terrelle Pryor		2013		2011 (supplemental)
Philadelphia	Nick Foles		2013		2012
Dallas		Stephen McGee		2010		2009
New York G*	Danny Kanell		1998		1996
Washington	Robert Griffin III	2013		2012
Detroit		Matthew Stafford	2013		2009
Chicago		Kyle Orton		2008		2005
Green Bay	Aaron Rodgers		2013		2005
Minnesota	Christian Ponder	2013		2011
Carolina	Cam Newton		2013		2011
New Orleans	Danny Wuerffel		1998		1997
Tampa Bay	Mike Glennon		2013		2013
Atlanta		Matt Ryan		2013		2008
Seattle		Russell Wilson		2013		2012
San Francisco	Colin Kaepernick	2013		2011
Arizona		Ryan Lindley		2012		2012
St Louis	Sam Bradford		2013		2010
SD*-Obviously for all real purposes it's Rivers, but if we're being technical
Oakland*-If supplemental doesn't count in anyone's mind it would be Jamarcus in 2009, drafted 2007
NYG*-Obviously the reverse of SD's *

If anyone's curious the last QB drafted by KC to win any game was Steve Stenstrom, who won one (and only one) game for Chicago in 1998.

Congrats, you have the one other real instance of this in the league which was more than a full goddamned decade later than KC, with the draft where he was picked a full 14 years later. Way to loving go, yeah this isn't rare at all.

Now I'm whining about KC never taking a chance on anyone.

e: Christ all that work and I can't figure out how many years a decade is? I have no idea what I was thinking. Still the point is there.

Yes but if backup QB Wuerffel doesn't come in and win two games in 97/98, the Saints don't have a drafted winner going back to 1986 in Dave "totally the next Archie Manning" Wilson.

We fielded like 40 QBs, over those two decades and they all sucked and were not drafted by us.

But yeah it's obviously more rare.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Are we thinking QB will be deep again next year? Or just Mariota/Hundley/then shitstains?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I ask myself that about you.

Incorrectly called penalty on a field goal, wasn't it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

Are we thinking QB will be deep again next year? Or just Mariota/Hundley/then shitstains?
Next year will have Winston, Mariota, possibly Hundley, Bortles, Kevin Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Next year will have Winston, Mariota, possibly Hundley, Bortles, Kevin Hogan.

Has Winston said anything about how long he plans to play at FSU? I know he's in some trouble right now, but he's come onto the scene so quickly that I don't recall him saying anything about 2015.

EDIT: This years draft class at QB looks to be a ton better than last year, unless a shitload of the juniors stay then that will make 2015's class a monster.

• Locked thread