Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

That's because they brought in people who know what real clothing is supposed to look like to design the outfits for XV.

And used real clothing. Finally you can own more than just Squall's jacket and locket($600) or Leon Kennedy's Jacket ($1200) and instead have the full Noctis line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Black August posted:

But this just looks weird. I always love alternate costumes, to absolute death, but this looks like some rich pervert's 1st attempt at a personal fashion show.

"Soon we'll be together, my love. Mankind's disgust, will fashion for you a body, and then you shall be my bride. We'll always have Paris."
/

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Black August posted:

I just have to chime in to say the gross prevalence of thigh-baring outfits, as if they simply MUST be easy-access, is grossing me out. The same thing happened in FFX-2 but you could at least understand it was meant to be one big stupid titillating escapade in neon thong cosplays. But this just looks weird. I always love alternate costumes, to absolute death, but this looks like some rich pervert's 1st attempt at a personal fashion show.

One of my favourite games for alternate costumes was Uncharted 2. Every game should have the option to play as a morbidly obese version of the main character, with a pitch-shifted voice to go with it, although I think in Lightning Returns that would just be someone's fetish :gonk:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I'm just glad someone decided to bring back big head mode.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

chumbler posted:

The battle system in 13 was well designed. It just had more complexity than the average FF player is used to or arguably even wants.
Here's what I remember most from the original XIII thread here: "I'm using Sen/Sen/Med and regular battles take so long and I can't beat any bosses this game sucks!!"

After nine games where you can just hold in the confirm button for the whole game (X at least takes a while to get to this point), an actually enjoyable menu-based battle system was too much to handle

Mustach fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 3, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, but you see auto-battle is an option so you can just hold x to beat the game.

protmind
Dec 25, 2007
I'm thinking of getting XII-2 off of PSN. Any issues with the digital version versus a disc?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

protmind posted:

I'm thinking of getting XII-2 off of PSN. Any issues with the digital version versus a disc?

Not that I know of, just know the PS3 version of XIII-2 has horrible load times and random slowdown, which makes it inferior to the 360 version for some odd reason.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Anyone excited to see six minutes of Square-Enix patting itself on the back? Well, you're in luck. The second episode of Inside the Square with Ali Hillis is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrt1Il8B2PI

Fister Roboto posted:

Another big point in favor of FFX: the game never split up your party. With only one big exception, characters stayed in your party for good. In fact, the gameplay even focused around using your entire party as much as possible. It really helped to form a cohesive narrative that you were all on the trail together, like some weird fantasy Oregon Trail. In FF13 you were constantly bouncing between view points and character arcs, it was completely disjointed.

It's not too unusual for games stuck in development hell to string together art assets at the eleventh hour in order to ship it out in time. SE had different levels created and stringed them together through the player being transported into a new set piece for no apparent reason. You can see the same thing happen for games that had long, difficult development cycles, such as Bioshock Infinite.

I would say FFX's strength was its pacing and fine-tuned gameplay. A lot of subsystems and sub-subsystems were unlocked early in the game, such as weapon customization and different monster types.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jesus Christ those proportions. Someone who does all the acrobatic poo poo she does should not be built like an anorexic fashion model.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sunning posted:

Anyone excited to see six minutes of Square-Enix patting itself on the back? Well, you're in luck. The second episode of Inside the Square with Ali Hillis is out:

It's not too unusual for games stuck in development hell to string together art assets at the eleventh hour in order to ship it out in time. SE had different levels created and stringed them together through the player being transported into a new set piece for no apparent reason. You can see the same thing happen for games that had long, difficult development cycles, such as Bioshock Infinite.

I don't actually expressly mind this. Video games have traditionally consisted of "stages" "levels" or "boards" that were often wildly different from each other. A game like Bioshock having very distinct "levels" is fine to me, if only because Bioshock games tend to emulate a lot of mechanics found in Doom games, which also featured a wide variety of set pieces kind of loosely strung together.

I agree that it sucks in FF13 though, but more because the whole game is just not fun to play.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I don't actually expressly mind this. Video games have traditionally consisted of "stages" "levels" or "boards" that were often wildly different from each other. A game like Bioshock having very distinct "levels" is fine to me, if only because Bioshock games tend to emulate a lot of mechanics found in Doom games, which also featured a wide variety of set pieces kind of loosely strung together.

I agree that it sucks in FF13 though, but more because the whole game is just not fun to play.

I think the complaint is more about the weird, abrupt, and jarring changes/transitions that move you from one place to another rather than the fact that each area is unique.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sunning posted:

Haven't we done such a great job? Gloria in excelsis Éclair!. They all seemed moments away from prostrating themselves, in reverence of both Lightning and Nomura.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Raitoningu-sama

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Sunning posted:

Lightning-sama~ :psyduck: what the hell?
I can't believe they are not being forced to say that, there is liking your character, and there is thinking your character is god.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sunning posted:

Listening to these people talk about how Lightning "is so cool and we want everyone else to know how cool she is" is like listening to brainwashed cult members talk about their cult leader, right down to the creepy tone of voice.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Tired Moritz posted:

Lightning-sama~ :psyduck: what the hell?
I can't believe they are not being forced to say that, there is liking your character, and there is thinking your character is god.
Well that is kind of how the story moves along in XIII-2

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think my favorite thing about that video was how they talked up Nomura like he was some unseeable force of nature whose drawings just descend from the heavens and it is their fruit of knowledge. Unfortunately those are all the rejected designs he tosses out the window of one of the higher floors.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've been playing FF4DS for the past couple weeks. Currently I'm grinding Pink Tails using an autobattle command that has Cecil counter attacks with Stardust items. Each Siren used also effectively uses 3 Stardusts to kill one Flan Princess group. I have been doing nothing in this game except fighting these stupid Flan Princesses over and over, up to 33 times hoping for an .8% drop. I have gotten 2 pink tails and I estimate I've spent 20 hours grinding (while watching TV, using internet, etc. so at least it's not too painful). Anyway, I need 5 of the tails but I don't really know why I'm doing this since the game is so stupidly easy. Just sharing a little of my personal hell.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I think my favorite thing about that video was how they talked up Nomura like he was some unseeable force of nature whose drawings just descend from the heavens and it is their fruit of knowledge. Unfortunately those are all the rejected designs he tosses out the window of one of the higher floors.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There is no reason to grind anything in FF4 DS/iOS. No reason at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

There is no reason to grind anything in FF4 DS/iOS. No reason at all.

Or FFIV vanilla. Or FFIV: TAY. Those are for different reasons but still true.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Looks like FF4: The After Years is now out in English on iOS and, surprisingly, Android. Surprised it came out so quickly, really.

Think I'll pass on this one though.

I'm currently playing through the iOS version, never having played the original TAY version myself, and it would seem that Square-Enix has not only the Challenge Dungeons, but the Developer's Room as well. This is extremely disappointing to me, since, from what I've been reading, the Challenge Dungeons were some of the more-fun parts of this otherwise mediocre game. If anyone knows otherwise (or knows if this will show up in updates), let me know.

Anyway, I've beaten the main game and, like most folks here, wasn't too impressed with either the retarded last boss or the plotline, which apparently hatched from the same ill-advised ooze as the second half of "Prometheus." It's not a terrible game, but it's definitely sub-par as an FFIV sequel. Some of the newer characters had potential (Luca and Harley come to mind), but they never really got a chance to do or say anything interesting. I might play through it again sometime down the line, but right now it just feels like it was a massive wasted opportunity.

e:

Behonkiss posted:

While we're discussing After Years, how's the FFIV iOS port compared to the DS one? I sold my copy of that after the dungeon where you meet Edge made me hit a brick wall in terms of battle difficulty. Did they adjust anything to make it more forgiving?

They've split the difficulties into "hard" and "easy," with "hard" being the difficulty of the DS version (that's my understanding, anyway). I've only played through the iOS version on hard, but still found it a little easier than the DS version. I'm a compulsive over-leveler, though.

Either way, I really liked the FFIV iOS update. I even like that they took out the "play games with friends to make the Whyt summon not suck!" minigames, which never really worked for me. My only complaint is that the atrocious DS voice acting stayed in.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 3, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The voice acting sucked, but I really wish that there was some voice acting in the port of TAY because I want to just click through text boxes instead of having to sit through cutscenes.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ahahahaha gently caress.

I can't stop seeing how goddamn ridiculous that pose they put her in for that costume is.

Edit: Content:

I can draw LIGHTNING-SAMA guys.

(bet I could sell a body pillow with this on it to Toriyama)

Mazed fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 4, 2013

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The_Franz posted:

Listening to these people talk about how Lightning "is so cool and we want everyone else to know how cool she is" is like listening to brainwashed cult members talk about their cult leader, right down to the creepy tone of voice.

This is without a doubt a dumb question, but as someone who took a long-rear end break from playing Final Fantasy games after FFVI and only started catching up recently...why exactly did Square replace Yoshitaka Amano with Tetsuya Nomura? Because a lot of Nomura's character designs don't exactly inspire me.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
If I'd venture a guess I'd say part of the reason was how well FF7 was received.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Majorian posted:

This is without a doubt a dumb question, but as someone who took a long-rear end break from playing Final Fantasy games after FFVI and only started catching up recently...why exactly did Square replace Yoshitaka Amano with Tetsuya Nomura? Because a lot of Nomura's character designs don't exactly inspire me.

Other creators worked on character designs at the same time, Amano was just part of the whole. Nomura worked on previous FF games too. FF7 then proceeded to make roughly All The Dollars. The rest was history.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Other creators worked on character designs at the same time, Amano was just part of the whole. Nomura worked on previous FF games too. FF7 then proceeded to make roughly All The Dollars. The rest was history.

Renoistic posted:

If I'd venture a guess I'd say part of the reason was how well FF7 was received.

Sure, and I get that that's the nature of the beast, but I guess at this point I'm wondering what Nomura's appeal is. Or, more accurately, what it continues to be. I understand that characters who look like they were ripped out of visual kei bands were interesting and edgy when FFVII came out. But now it's sixteen years later, and so many of his designs don't seem to have branched out of that narrow niche. When I see Lightning's design, for example, she seems perfectly interchangeable with characters from any of the last decade or so of Final Fantasy games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Majorian posted:

Sure, and I get that that's the nature of the beast, but I guess at this point I'm wondering what Nomura's appeal is. Or, more accurately, what it continues to be. I understand that characters who look like they were ripped out of visual kei bands were interesting and edgy when FFVII came out. But now it's sixteen years later, and so many of his designs don't seem to have branched out of that narrow niche. When I see Lightning's design, for example, she seems perfectly interchangeable with characters from any of the last decade or so of Final Fantasy games.

Again, it's being tied to something immensely popular. A lot of mediocre/average or even in certain cases subpar (hi Rob Liefeld) creators can remain relevant as long as they're tied to something enduring or popular. To some degree you could argue this about Final Fantasy as a whole.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Jesus christ hahahaha.

Seriously, I don't want to :regd08: but she didn't look this bizarre in the original game, did she? I don't think it's a matter of new outfits highlighting an already janky design (that might be it a little bit tho), it's honestly like they shrank her proportions for some reason. Those tiny-rear end shoulders are what kill me, she looks like a graphical error.

e;

VVV Yeah FFVII's designs were actually really, really good. Probably Nomura's best, actually. Simplistic, iconic, takes cues from the setting, a lot of really basic fundamental stuff that's overlooked in a lot of game character design pulled off very well.

Cloche fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 4, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Majorian posted:

I understand that characters who look like they were ripped out of visual kei bands were interesting and edgy when FFVII came out.

Uh, that doesn't describe FF7's character designs at all.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I think Nomura's designs, for their faults, usually have a very clean and distinctive look. It's usually enough to take a quick glance at one of his designs and know what kind of personality / role he/she will have, so I think his designs have more mass appeal than Amano's. I know back then whenever I saw anything made by Amano, I thought "that's pretty". Nomura's FF 7 designs made me go "oooh I bet those two are a couple, and Cid looks bad-rear end, and what the hell's the deal with that vampire? etc.". And it's not like you can claim Amano has a wide variety of faces :v:

I still kind of like Nomura simply because the designs aren't as bad as in most Japanese RPGs. They are getting there with Lightning Returns, though.

Edit: That's a depressingly low bar to set, admittedly. But FF7s designs are still great, and I enjoyed most of playable characters' designs in 10 and 13-1.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 4, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In all honesty I think Nomura's a better character designer for a video game. Amano is the better artist, but his style is very hard to translate to a video game. Even Dissidia had them simplified by Nomura.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dr Pepper posted:

In all honesty I think Nomura's a better character designer for a video game. Amano is the better artist, but his style is very hard to translate to a video game. Even Dissidia had them simplified by Nomura.

This is what I was trying to say, but said better. Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think you could do Amano's artwork in a game these days, even with 3D models. The problem would be that I think you'd risk driving people away. It would be a beautiful game it would just also make a lot of people go "what the gently caress is this poo poo?" Nomura's stuff is a lot more generic but even at his most ridiculous and extravagant is very simple and clean and... well, generic.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The heavily Locke-inspired outfit in Lightning Returns is awesome though.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Are the guys who did El Shaddai doing anything because I feel like they could probably make something with that style.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dr Pepper posted:

TBH it's hard to say Amano really designed the characters for the sprite-based FFs. His character art was really more like concept art than an actual design just because of the limitations of a sprite format. Still, he gives them a sort of unique flavor that Nomura's designs really lack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Since my PSU on my 360 died, I threw Final Fantasy XII into the ol' PS2 while I wait for a replacement.
A few things I've forgotten over the years due to playing more advanced HD games:

- CG still looks good. DVD quality. Pretty sure the PS4 could pull it off in-game now though.
- Oh God, my eyes; the lack of aliasing physically hurts to look at. It's like everything has a heat shimmer. Flicker Filter just adds blur to the entire screen at all times.
- The eyes are just 2D animated textures. Detailed eyes are something I've really taken for granted this gen.
- Holy poo poo, why in the gently caress is panning left and right reversed in this game? And why is there no option to disable it?
- Game has a severe case of Tutorialitis; all non-skippable. Took 25+ minutes to first save point including cutscenes. It took another 30 (not talking to anybody except the necessary people) to get to the Sandsea gate save.

:sigh:

Anyone know what the res is for the new Final Fantasy VII Steam release?