Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
At least having a Communist Party Leader that you can arrest on flimsy charges of treason (at the risk of radicalizing his followers), please.

edit: dammit, page sniped. Talking about characters in a tentative Vicky 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

I just had the opportunity to play your mod. Despite some issues, it was fun to play. The most notable problem is Virgnia. For whatever reason, United Virginia is a terrifying hellbeast that destroys everything it touches. Below is the game after ten years:

As you can see, Virginia expanded almost non-stop from the game's start. As Ohio, I had to reload multiple times because Virginia would simply because it would constantly antagonize me. Whenever I tried to expand, Virginia became involved and blocked my progress. Shortly after the above map, Virginia declared war on South Carolina and almost immediately conquered it. Their victory caused the below event to fire:

United Virginia abandoned their democratic principles and became the United Kingdom of America, demanding the former Union rejoin. Sadly, only Wisconsin and myself refused to bow before Virginian tyranny. God have mercy on our souls.

Besides that, the most activity seems to take place in former Mexico. I do not know what mechanics you put in place there, but the borders were constantly changing. New England and the Great Lakes, conversely, are painfully static. If you are taking suggestions, I have some ideas for events that might mitigate this problem.

Pan-American Nationalists were a constant headache and several states, most prominently the Manhattan Commune and Superior, suffered constant revolts. Would it be possible to lessen how frequently they appear?

This is so fascinating. Thank you for posting.

In all of my playthroughs during testing, I did not once have a nation "rebuild" America, though I knew it was possible. I also agree that Virginia is the most powerful American nation in the mod, though I'm not sure what it is that makes them such a powerhouse.

I'll be adding in some new cores for "regional" nations tonight and will take your suggestions into account. Thank you so much for playing DWS. :)

Re: Victoria 3: I can't wait. The Victoria franchise is my favorite of the Paradox series and it could really use an overhaul with the new engine. I second everything Fintilgin's said regarding leaders. It could be as superficial as simply having a "leaderlist.txt" file for each country that specifies Leader Name, Party, and Years Of Influence. Or it could be really detailed. But it would add so much to the game either way.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm in so long as there's a converter that works with CK2->EU4 games (but not necessarily with CoP games, of course).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
My Grey Eminence Gregarious Genius President died while in office and now I'm stuck with his lovely Greedy, Slothful Indulgent Wastrel Bastard of a Vice President. All the Southern Dixie governors hate me and the Mexicans are invading.

Someone help. :(

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

ExtraNoise posted:

This is so fascinating. Thank you for posting.

In all of my playthroughs during testing, I did not once have a nation "rebuild" America, though I knew it was possible. I also agree that Virginia is the most powerful American nation in the mod, though I'm not sure what it is that makes them such a powerhouse.

I'll be adding in some new cores for "regional" nations tonight and will take your suggestions into account. Thank you so much for playing DWS. :)

Would it be possible to remove the United States' cores and make reforming the country similar to German Unification where formation is primarily decision-based? That way, small states would not be constantly over-run by Pan-American Nationalists and states still would have the possibility to reform the US if they possessed or sphered certain provinces.

Maybe you could add Convention events for the different regions to these regional superstates to form diplomatically instead of forcing the player to rely on force.

DrSunshine posted:

My Grey Eminence Gregarious Genius President died while in office and now I'm stuck with his lovely Greedy, Slothful Indulgent Wastrel Bastard of a Vice President. All the Southern Dixie governors hate me and the Mexicans are invading.

Have you tried getting impeached and letting your Speaker of the House inherit?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 4, 2013

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

QuoProQuid posted:

Have you tried getting impeached and letting your Speaker of the House inherit?

There's a 3 percent of getting the Zoos and Moonbase event if you do this :newt:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

You should've gone the Prussian Constitutionalist route- I get a Reichskanzler I don't like, I can just swap him out for a new one. :smug: Sure its a big dissent hit, but you should see the Hostile Paranoid Inbred crap the KPD keeps throwing at me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

Would it be possible to remove the United States' cores and make reforming the country similar to German Unification where formation is primarily decision-based? That way, small states would not be constantly over-run by Pan-American Nationalists and states still had the possibility to reform the US if they possessed or has sphered certain provinces.

Maybe you could add Convention events for the different regions to these regional superstates to form diplomatically instead of forcing the player to rely on force.

I am actually working on a series of events and decisions to do exactly this!! There will be about six or seven regional superstates that can form out of the various states, much like Prussia->NGF->Germany.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DrSunshine posted:

I am actually working on a series of events and decisions to do exactly this!! There will be about six or seven regional superstates that can form out of the various states, much like Prussia->NGF->Germany.

That sounds cool!

Do you need any flags for the project? I've done a lot of flags for Victoria II in the past, including several for Wiz's Azerbaijan Let's Play.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PleasingFungus posted:

Oh god. One impenetrable, non-interactive system that may or may not be broken, no one can tell, is quite bad enough!

Bringing geography more into the economy would help a lot, yeah. I remember someone in this thread was talking about actually modelling shipping more, with improvements in transport ships/trains/etc actually affecting things properly?

Wish I could remember the post better.

Imperialism had an interesting system that I wish Victoria could emulate in its own way: The amount of goods you could ship to/from overseas nations was limited by the number of merchant ships you had built, and the amount of goods you could rail to/from land-connected nations was limited by your investments into trains (separate from inter-province railroad infrastructure).

Basically I want to be able to recreate the British blockade of Germany in WWI and starve the boche into accepting peace terms.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

That sounds cool!

Do you need any flags for the project? I've done a lot of flags for Victoria II in the past, including several for Wiz's Azerbaijan Let's Play.

Ah yeah, you should probably contact ExtraNoise about that, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to get some cool flags.

The federations will be (correct me if I'm missing anyone):

Western States of America (California, Jefferson, Deseret, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico)
The Plains Association (Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa)
Great Lakes Union (Superior, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio)
Federal States of America (Kentucky, Westsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, District of Columbia, Rhode Island)
New England Federation (Maine, New England, Empire, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts)
Cascadia (Columbia, Cascade, Lincoln, Idaho)
Confederate States (Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia)

All formable if they have the correct culture and the states are in their sphere of influence or ownership (so New Englanders can form the NEF but not the WSA, Californians can form the WSA, but not the GLU or the CSA, etc.). Once these regional groupings start to form, we should expect Brothers' Wars to break out in short order!

Various states/unions will also have the chance to expand outside the de jure borders of the USA if they get Manifest Destiny. So for example, California will get a decision to claim cores on Baja California (while Baja California can do the same for California!), and the GLU can get a decision to get cores on the Canadian provinces surrounding the Great Lakes. Nickajack, formed in opposition to slavery as a free African American state, will get cored after the formation of the CSA, and may have to fight to preserve its independence.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 4, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

gradenko_2000 posted:

Imperialism had an interesting system that I wish Victoria could emulate in its own way: The amount of goods you could ship to/from overseas nations was limited by the number of merchant ships you had built, and the amount of goods you could rail to/from land-connected nations was limited by your investments into trains (separate from inter-province railroad infrastructure).

Basically I want to be able to recreate the British blockade of Germany in WWI and starve the boche into accepting peace terms.

There is a remarkable lack of submarine warfare in Vicky 2.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Ah yeah, you should probably contact ExtraNoise about that, I'm sure he'd be thrilled to get some cool flags.

The federations will be (correct me if I'm missing anyone):

Western States of America (California, Jefferson, Deseret, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico)
The Plains Association (Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa)
Great Lakes Union (Superior, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio)
Federal States of America (Kentucky, Westsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, District of Columbia, Rhode Island)
New England Federation (Maine, New England, Empire, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts)
Cascadia (Columbia, Cascade, Lincoln, Idaho)
Confederate States (Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia)

All formable if they have the correct culture and the states are in their sphere of influence or ownership (so New Englanders can form the NEF but not the WSA, Californians can form the WSA, but not the GLU or the CSA, etc.). Once these regional groupings start to form, we should expect Brothers' Wars to break out in short order!

Various states/unions will also have the chance to expand outside the de jure borders of the USA if they get Manifest Destiny. So for example, California will get a decision to claim cores on Baja California (while Baja California can do the same for California!), and the GLU can get a decision to get cores on the Canadian provinces surrounding the Great Lakes. Nickajack, formed in opposition to slavery as a free African American state, will get cored after the formation of the CSA, and may have to fight to preserve its independence.

The former United States should really have at least one viable Native American nation formable. There are two in the mod right now, but they're both OPMs that tend to get absorbed extremely quickly. Also, maybe add a possibility for Nickajack to expand into a full-scale New Africa or something if it somehow gets really powerful (unlikely, but technically possible).

Will there be similar regional federations for Mexico? A Republic of the Rio Grande for northern Mexico, a Mayan-primary-culture Yucatan Federation, etc.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I find it amusing that a crown in the gutter event basically fires for any union nowadays.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

There is a remarkable lack of submarine warfare in Vicky 2.

This and early carriers should've been a focus of a third expansion, but I guess we'll have to be satisfied with a completely new game instead.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 4, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

Really? Ever since version 1.0 came out I've seen it. The first time was when I played a quick game as Japan to see what would happen with no influence and the Kingdom of America was formed after about 20 years. The most recent game I've played, United Virginia, I've been hit with that with option quite a few times. It usually happens when the Pan-Nationalists take over a country and since there's a large militancy hit (it adds up) I can see why the AI never ignores it. Also, Mexico seems to reform a lot as well.

I really do like a lot of the features in 1.0 but some of the earlier versions seem to be less schizophrenic.

EDIT: One last suggestion would be to drop the name Empire for the communist states if possible.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 4, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
V3 followed by HoI 4 with proper conversion DLC and then the cycle can be renewed. :getin:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Before EU4>Vic3 conversion DLC, they should first remade EU4 province population/culture/religion, because otherwise there will be nothing to convert into PoPs. I don't think having 100% same culture and religion PoPs in Vic3 will be fun.

EU4 could use a system for population that is between current EU (nothing) and Vic. Like, Antwerp has 50 000 people, 45% Flemish (96% Catholic,4% Protestant), 40% Dutch (90% Protestant, 10% Catholic), 15% Ashkenazi (100% Jewish). Spending missionaries and diplomatic points will convert the population to your culture/religion but with diminishing returns. Conversion of population will be constant but slow, as opposed to a timer right now (culture,religion is only converted when it reaches 100%).

These numbers are taken out of my rear end to make an example.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Vicky with a more detailed military system would be pretty amazing. My WW1 itch :negative:

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

LP97S posted:

Really? Ever since version 1.0 came out I've seen it. The first time was when I played a quick game as Japan to see what would happen with no influence and the Kingdom of America was formed after about 20 years. The most recent game I've played, United Virginia, I've been hit with that with option quite a few times. It usually happens when the Pan-Nationalists take over a country and since there's a large militancy hit (it adds up) I can see why the AI never ignores it. Also, Mexico seems to reform a lot as well.

I really do like a lot of the features in 1.0 but some of the earlier versions seem to be less schizophrenic.

EDIT: One last suggestion would be to drop the name Empire for the communist states if possible.

Okay, great - I can work with this to get some focus on fixing some problems. I'll start by removing cores for the USA on a majority of the states (and the same with Mexico).

I didn't think I used Empire in any of the communist states, but maybe I'm reading the wrong line. I tried to stick with things like "People's Republic". I'll go back through and see if I overlooked something in the Localisation file. Do you have a specific example? That would help a ton.

Edit: Oh man, I put all the Fascist stuff in the Communist slot and all the Communist stuff in the Fascist slot. Remember to always pay attention, kids.

Mister Bates posted:

The former United States should really have at least one viable Native American nation formable. There are two in the mod right now, but they're both OPMs that tend to get absorbed extremely quickly. Also, maybe add a possibility for Nickajack to expand into a full-scale New Africa or something if it somehow gets really powerful (unlikely, but technically possible).

Will there be similar regional federations for Mexico? A Republic of the Rio Grande for northern Mexico, a Mayan-primary-culture Yucatan Federation, etc.

I love the idea of using Nickajack as a base for New Afrika. I'll try to pen that into the mod. And I also agree that there should be a Native American Federation of sorts.

QuoProQuid posted:

That sounds cool!

I think all the flags are done for the time being. I've made so many flags. So many.

All I could see for days were tiny flags.

Edit: Tiny flags of DWS:

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 4, 2013

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I just hope to god Paradox finally realizes that Victoria desperately needs a proper OOB editor. Splitting and sending troops everywhere is a nightmare with bigger nations. That, and a unified manpower pool so that your regiments dont appear all over Eurasia (yes i play Russia a lot).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah my biggest hope for Vicky 3 would be the ability to say "I want three armies of 4 infantry regiments, 2 engineers, 2 artillery and 2 hussars stationed Here Here and Here, now you handle making sure they right recruits exist."

The OPTION to go into greater details like "no more than two of <constantly rebelling minority> in any given army" would help but frankly just the first bit would make me so happy.

I don't NECESSARILY need characters in vicky but I WOULD like parties to be somewhat dynamic entities and also for companies to exist as entities.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would have totally expected HoI4 before Vicky 3.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I can manage army composition just fine, but I want a strategic redeployment option, especially with mobilizations so my new brigades don't start off taking attrition damage. Just put them in a deployment pool and let me plop them where they need to go.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I just want blockades to actually be useful for something other than driving up warscore.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
V3 needs to fix their political system and ditch Anarcho-Liberals and their weird conception of communists, make forts actually forts like in Ricky again, and get France some damned minorities.

V3 is going to be perfect! :allears:

Sulla
May 10, 2008
V3 armies need to start out as brigade-sized and be division-sized by the late game, with all the airplanes/tanks/etc brigades converted into attachments. Either that or have them just be division-size from the beginning. Screw recruiting, rallying, and handling a million-man army that's made of 1000-man increments...by the late game I usually don't even give a crap anymore :/

And also elections should be influenced by sliders or something, those thousands of election events are just going to be auto-clicked after the first one, seriously.

Edit: Oh yeah, blockades should definitely tank a country's economy, at least shut down all production in the factories based on the states that are being blockaded, driving up dissent something crazy. And if the country is an unciv you shouldn't even have to declare war, just have a checkbox on the fleet that's parked next to their coast, with the blockade influencing all diplomatic options with them.

Sulla fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 4, 2013

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Speaking of Vicky, I was recently playing a multiplayer game with some friends, and I ran into an incredibly interesting scenario:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PleasingFungus posted:

Oh god. One impenetrable, non-interactive system that may or may not be broken, no one can tell, is quite bad enough!

Look, I know the stock market is impenetrable and potentially broken, but that's no reason to lump a perfectly good video game in with it. :colbert:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gorgo Primus posted:

V3 needs to fix their political system and ditch Anarcho-Liberals and their weird conception of communists, make forts actually forts like in Ricky again, and get France some damned minorities.

How were forts in Ricky?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

You don't remember?

They added a ton of defense to units in a province when defending, cost a ton to build and even more to keep up to date/upgrade and so were a major investment where you'd end up with a line or two of defenses at most on your borders or at key points (in practice you'd be able to cover part of your borders with one line of forts if you wanted them all up to date), during war (at higher levels) they caused nearby enemy units to bleed men, and generally made combat incredibly bloody and costly.

In V2 they are built in every single province, with ease, they don't seem to do a ton for defense, and their main noticeable trait when I play is that they make it take much longer to fully occupy a province.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Didn't they do the same in V1? I thought you meant something changed in Ricky, and I never played much with the expansion. Forts in V2 give you -10% losses per level as the defender though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gorgo Primus posted:

You don't remember?

They added a ton of defense to units in a province when defending, cost a ton to build and even more to keep up to date/upgrade and so were a major investment where you'd end up with a line or two of defenses at most on your borders or at key points (in practice you'd be able to cover part of your borders with one line of forts if you wanted them all up to date), during war (at higher levels) they caused nearby enemy units to bleed men, and generally made combat incredibly bloody and costly.

In V2 they are built in every single province, with ease, they don't seem to do a ton for defense, and their main noticeable trait when I play is that they make it take much longer to fully occupy a province.

Yeah I didn't play Ricky but I don't like the implementation of forts in V2.

But the other thing is that the main issue (you can build them everywhere) is the thing that links back to all the other problems, which is that money is not for any practical purposes a limited resource in V2. And then there's the more general problem which is that V2 suffers from wanting to be a game about political change and ideology, but actually is at it's most fun when its being a great war simulator.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Didn't they do the same in V1? I thought you meant something changed in Ricky, and I never played much with the expansion. Forts in V2 give you -10% losses per level as the defender though.

Sorry if that wasn't clear. When I (most people?) say Ricky, I mean Vicky with the expansion.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It occurs to me that we would be looking for a CK2-style character system in Victoria 2 because it, well, adds character to a nation. Like, if you were playing as Prussia, then your short-to-mid-term goal would be the formation of Germany, but after that, Victoria degenerates into a war simulator because a complete lack of goals means that the only way up is through military expansionism*. The player is left to his own RP devices, and for the less imaginative of us, that just means conquering whoever presents themselves as targets.

Representing an actual head-of-state with a personality and a goal and perhaps even a bonus to certain aspects of your country would flesh this out somewhat. I mean, how cool would it be if you knew you had to watch out for American imperialism because they elected Teddy Roosevelt, or if you had to brace yourself for making a bunch of enemies because your new king is Wilhelm II. Beyond that, modeling lower-order characters such as Senators or heirs or other ministers would be ways of giving the player some control over who's the next head-of-state so you're not swinging randomly from one personality to another (or maybe you should in a Monarchy) or that you have a Bismarckian buffer to soften the blow of a buffoonish autocrat.

Basically I would like it if the next Victoria would lay out more "in-game/in-character" objectives for the player to strive to outside of forming a cultural union, whether directly as in EU's missions, or indirectly as in CK's "my guy has 30 Intrigue, time to use him to deflect the 25 Martial neighboring duke when he tries to march on my capital"

* That the economy/state funding is so plentiful as to be meaningless also contributes to this somewhat, insofar as there's not really a need to enter a "build-up the economy" phase of the game in the same way that an EU4 nation would have to dump a lot of attention and focus on trade and production and related research

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It occurs to me that we would be looking for a CK2-style character system in Victoria 2 because it, well, adds character to a nation. Like, if you were playing as Prussia, then your short-to-mid-term goal would be the formation of Germany, but after that, Victoria degenerates into a war simulator because a complete lack of goals means that the only way up is through military expansionism*. The player is left to his own RP devices, and for the less imaginative of us, that just means conquering whoever presents themselves as targets.

Representing an actual head-of-state with a personality and a goal and perhaps even a bonus to certain aspects of your country would flesh this out somewhat. I mean, how cool would it be if you knew you had to watch out for American imperialism because they elected Teddy Roosevelt, or if you had to brace yourself for making a bunch of enemies because your new king is Wilhelm II. Beyond that, modeling lower-order characters such as Senators or heirs or other ministers would be ways of giving the player some control over who's the next head-of-state so you're not swinging randomly from one personality to another (or maybe you should in a Monarchy) or that you have a Bismarckian buffer to soften the blow of a buffoonish autocrat.

Basically I would like it if the next Victoria would lay out more "in-game/in-character" objectives for the player to strive to outside of forming a cultural union, whether directly as in EU's missions, or indirectly as in CK's "my guy has 30 Intrigue, time to use him to deflect the 25 Martial neighboring duke when he tries to march on my capital"

* That the economy/state funding is so plentiful as to be meaningless also contributes to this somewhat, insofar as there's not really a need to enter a "build-up the economy" phase of the game in the same way that an EU4 nation would have to dump a lot of attention and focus on trade and production and related research

HOI is pretty much the only Paradox game that wouldn't be improved by a stronger focus on characters. Ironically it has zillions of generals and political leaders with traits and stats. :negative:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Eh, I don't think Victoria needs characters specifically. That doesn't really mesh with the theme of the game, which is the upheaval of society at large by grand, impersonal economic and technological processes. Characters should drive a medieval game, but they should not drive the Industrial Revolution, that smacks of Great Man history.

Still, the game does need internal politics, but mass movements are the name of the game. Rather than add people with faces, I'd love to see factions and movements treated in a way similar to CK2's characters, i.e. made actual agents rather than just statblocks. Give each political party and social movement an agenda, a rudimentary AI and a couple of "personality"-like traits that affect their behavior, rather than their efficacy as a player choice, and bam, you've got potentially good internal politics.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Guildencrantz posted:

Eh, I don't think Victoria needs characters specifically. That doesn't really mesh with the theme of the game, which is the upheaval of society at large by grand, impersonal economic and technological processes. Characters should drive a medieval game, but they should not drive the Industrial Revolution, that smacks of Great Man history.

They don't have to drive the game, they just need to add flavour and small nudges here and there.

The Ems Dispatch wasn't the real cause of the Franco-Prussian War, but a royal faux-pas manufactured by a bellicose PM is a way more interesting popup for the player than "(German irredentism >= 87) = true".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Guildencrantz posted:

Still, the game does need internal politics, but mass movements are the name of the game. Rather than add people with faces, I'd love to see factions and movements treated in a way similar to CK2's characters, i.e. made actual agents rather than just statblocks. Give each political party and social movement an agenda, a rudimentary AI and a couple of "personality"-like traits that affect their behavior, rather than their efficacy as a player choice, and bam, you've got potentially good internal politics.

Yeah, I would want something much more like this, especially if I could play as a political party the way I can play as a vassal in CK2. Having non government entities, such as corporations and influential groups and cliques, is another possible way of adding character to the game without , well, characters. For example, the Fascists have been elected into power. In V2, it's sort of "so what? I'll select a different party/campaign for someone else if I really want to shift out of state capitalism". If they'd made parties and rebels better, you might get a message "The Fascist party is preparing a political coup, and they may sweep the elections in the next 6 months."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Long story short: Paradox games are more fun when there are independent 'agents' of some kind acting to generate content other than 'player waits until the right moment to expand borders. Declares war. Repeat.' Other countries acting in the same way don't count.

So in CK2 getting dragged into a dynastic war in a neighboring country is fun. Factions and civil wars are fun. In V2 coalitions and crises are fun. EU4... lacks these and feels like it relies more on being multiplayer friendly to get that content. HOI is all about one war so it gets a pass on this (the dynamic bit is the pushing armies around).

• Locked thread