Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Shoren posted:

I don't care if that's how you pronounce "z" in Spanish, I'm still not calling him Santi Cathorla.

Out of interest how do you pronounce Thierry Henry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shoren posted:

I don't care if that's how you pronounce "z" in Spanish, I'm still not calling him Santi Cathorla.

Thandy Kuhthorler

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

NeoNaoNeo posted:

TERRY-Hen-Ree

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NeoNaoNeo posted:

Hes irish so he just spits on the floor.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

NeoNaoNeo posted:

C.U.N.T

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
A response to being asked what about modern football is bad:

quote:

Football supporters.

I find them uneducated, ignorant, bigoted, and of questionable hygiene. All these movements to keep fan involvement and supporter "culture" (a sad joke) within clubs make me laugh. The only football supporters I like are Reading's and those rich Asians who fly half way around the world to visit Old Trafford.

The sooner the traditional elements are driven from the stadia the better. Thatcher started the work but no one has carried the flame with any real brio since. I dream of a future where I can tap the gently conversing man in front of me on the shoulder and say "Sorry, mate. Would you mind keeping it down? I'm trying to watch the game." I think football spectating should become more like going to the cinema or the theatre. Arsenal have made huge strides towards this end but there is still so much more to be done.

I have a few ideas in this regard. I think pre- and half-time shows should be introduced. There needs to be something to interrupt or drown out whatever vocal vestiges can still afford to attend. I think analysis should either be directly beamed into the stadium on big screens or, even better yet, that a little pavilion is erected and they host it right here in the centre circle. Imagine Gary Neville coming out and giving his tactical insights with a big screen behind him. It would be a similar format to a TED talk, but about man marking at corners.

When this, and other changes, are introduced and we firmly break the local associations of clubs and community, there will really then be no obstacle to playing matches in foreign countries. Man Utd could play in Dublin, London, and Singapore - where most of their fanbase resides. Clubs aggressively marketing overseas and on the PR offensive like Chelsea and Man City could play in New York and Los Angeles. Why should they have to travel to Hull or Wigan? Where is the commercial sense in that? The revenue streams don't flow through there.

Also, let's be honest, football matches can sometimes be boring. And I think the game has a lot to learn from rugby. A bonus points system should be introduced.

1 point for a no score draw.
2 points for a score draw.
3 points for a win.
1 additional point for every three goals scored (the extra point for a score draw notwithstanding).

It would make the games more exciting and the league more predictable. And much less defensive. No one likes defensive football. It makes for poor highlights/gifs. Also, now that all the wealth and talent is concentrated in a smaller and smaller number of clubs, the thumpings that are routinely dished out by the big clubs will even further secure their hegemony. As it stands, beating cash-strapped fodder six or seven nil is worth the same as beating Chelsea one nil. That needs to change.

Finally, who honestly wants to see a team like Southampton or Newcastle in the Champions League? Qualification for the competition should be based on an aggregate over several seasons, similar to the relegation system in South America. This will help ensure that the best clubs are always there, even if they have a bad season. In addition, it better secures them financially. The smaller clubs have never really had that sort of money and wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. The G-14 clubs would of course have a relegation veto. The Europa league would offer a valid for one year only pass into the competition as its prize. In fact, why don't we just make it a league, and stop bothering with all these small regional domestic teams altogether?

"What about PSG and Man City and their like? How would they get in?" I hear you ask. It's a good question. There could be an option to simply buy in, of course. Or alternatively one could improve one's coefficient not simply by getting results (for that would take years) but by net spend. Expenditure could be pegged against results; for example, £300 million spent in one fiscal year could be worth two consecutive semi-final placings. A significant outlay would improve their ranking and they could take the place of some irrelevant European club like Ajax or Dynamo Kiev or Benfica.

This is my dream for the future of football. A complete break with the past.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Oops. hosed that.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

sircozzie posted:

A response to being asked what about modern football is bad:

Wow Arsene's really opened up this time

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

hahahahahhaha is this real

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

gently caress me , perfect timing for secret santa

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

http://neillennon.com/product/the-official-neil-lennon-calendar/

Im speechless.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Ahahahaha

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

quote:

The Official 2014 Neil Lennon calendar. The Football Manager is having a very successful career, a truly motivational character that embodies the spirit of leadership, determination and this calendar shows some off his style off pitch. Only available from Neillennon.com the official website and merchandise.
Exclusive limited editions.

It reads like the copy from some Chinese knockoff store

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

crossposting from the championship thread terrific stuff.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BRAZUCA!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I like that a lot.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Why did they choose the derogatory term used to call Brazilians in the rest of South America as the name of their ball? loving brazucas.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I was wondering the same thing, seems strange to me.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Polidoro posted:

Why did they choose the derogatory term used to call Brazilians in the rest of South America as the name of their ball? loving brazucas.

This is the first time I've ever heard this brazucas word or that it's used as a derogatory term tbh.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

El Hefe posted:

This is the first time I've ever heard this brazucas word or that it's used as a derogatory term tbh.

Uruguayans are highly-skilled racists.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I think it's only used in South South America, I have heard it before from Argies but not sure if it's really offensive or something tame like gringo.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

When I say South America I mean the cool parts. Sorry Hefe :(

edit: yeah, derogatory is not the right word. It's more like disrespectful or something, it's 2AM and I can't english very good.

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 4, 2013

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

cisneros posted:

Uruguayans are highly-skilled racists.

Due to the size of our population we can only be good at one thing. We chose racism.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Oh good another plastic ball for everyone to bitch about

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

sassassin posted:

Oh good another plastic ball for everyone to bitch about

its the reason England got eliminated on penalties to Scolari

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
That ball is clearly too round, those poor goalkeepers, why won't anyone think of the goalkeepers.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I just purchased that calendar. Mates Christmas sorted!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Boy do I like balls, I like them so much I'm gonna post all of my best balls:

Uruguay 1930

Federale 102 - Italy 1934

Allen - France 1938

Duplo T - Brazil 1950

Swiss World Champion - Switzerland 1954

Top Star - Sweden 1958

Crack Top Star - Chile 1962

Challenge 4-star - England 1966

Telstar - Mexico 1970

Telstar Duralast - Germany 1974

Tango - Argentina 1978

Tango España - Spain 1982

Azteca - Mexico 1986

Etrusco Unico - Italy 1990

Questra - USA 1994

Tricolore - France 1998

Fevernova - Korea Japan 2002

Teamgeist - Germany 2006

Jabulani - South Africa 2010

Brazuca - Brazil 2014

Look at all those balls :allears:

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Why is it still Adidas from '70 till this?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Because Adidas is the poo poo.

e: and they probably paid for Sepp Blatter's vacations

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Adidas makes ugly clothes/sportswear, don't know about the balls bit.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Football has always been where Adidas dominate. They want to keep it that way so they pay lots of money to keep all the official World Cup and Euros stuff.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Also this lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYTcf55B-oY

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Boy do I like balls, I like them so much I'm gonna post all of my best balls:

Azteca - Mexico 1986

Best. Ball. Ever.

I had this and loved it and played with it every day until one day I kicked it into a mesquite tree and it popped. I'm still shaken up about it.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Group hug!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That's really cool.