Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

I watched the first 15ish minutes of that movie and just felt like I was shrugging continuously so I turned it off. Does it get better? Because I wanted to smack the one guy about 5 minutes into it. Oh you're tormented and dislike Bruges? Fascinating.

He is intentionally obnoxious and childish because it adds a lot of gravity to the emotional moments later and complicates the conflict between him and Brendan Gleeson. If he was a typical likable, noble protagonist then it would make the core plot of the movie substantially less interesting and the hard choices characters end up having to make mostly meaningless. Also it does start slow but once it gets going it goes hard until the end.

hi liter posted:

A number of the characters (specifically the female ones) sort of fell into very much archetypal roles. But like I said, it was very well acted and funny, and entertaining enough to overcome its weaknesses.

I guess that's fair, and something the writer specifically addresses as a weakness in his next film. Which led to a huge discussion in the thread about whether or not it was okay to write self-aware generic female stereotypes or whether that was just as bad as doing it completely oblivious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Hey guys what is that movie that is like the "science of hookups" it is a british woman narrating and it is a fauxumentary on how guys and girls go to clubs and hookup. I've tried so many keywords on google and cant find it. Someone has to know what Im talking about.

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Hey guys what is that movie that is like the "science of hookups" it is a british woman narrating and it is a fauxumentary on how guys and girls go to clubs and hookup. I've tried so many keywords on google and cant find it. Someone has to know what Im talking about.

Boys & Girls Guide to Getting Down

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Ugh finally, Thanks dude!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

This also sounds a lot like Mating Habits of the Earth Bound Human, though that's not on Netflix, is narrated by David Hyde Pierce, and is also kind of terrible.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Ip Man is a pretty good kung fu movie based on the life of the man who went on to train Bruce Lee. The acting is remarkably good for a film about punching dudes. Oh, and it features a loving awesome fight scene where he just completely demolishes ten dudes at once.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley is a movie about the Irish War of Independence and the beginnings of the Irish Civil War, focusing on two brothers who fight for the IRA during the War of Independence but end up being broken apart by political differences once the Civil War begins. One hell of a good historical drama. It's sad, but is overall an excellent film.

Olympus Has Fallen is loving ridiculous, featuring swarms of magical North Koreans, incompetent Secret Service redshirts, magic weapons, and a silly global doomsday device. Oh, and this is apparently set in an alternate Batman timeline where Harvey Dent never became Two-Face and is now President of the United States. If you like dumb action movies, this is both pretty dumb and a pretty intense action movie.

Side by Side is an incredibly good documentary about the rise of digital film and computers in the filmmaking industry. If you're a movie buff it really is a must-watch.

Hotel Rwanda is an action-drama-thing based on the true story of a hotel manager who shelters huge numbers of refugees during a government-sanctioned campaign of ethnic genocide. Most people have probably already seen it, but it's on Instant View if you haven't.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mister Bates posted:

Olympus Has Fallen is loving ridiculous, featuring swarms of magical North Koreans, incompetent Secret Service redshirts, magic weapons, and a silly global doomsday device. Oh, and this is apparently set in an alternate Batman timeline where Harvey Dent never became Two-Face and is now President of the United States. If you like dumb action movies, this is both pretty dumb and a pretty intense action movie.

Seconding this reccomendation, if just so you can watch White House Down after and bask in how much better it is. Still a bit of dumb fun, though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Seconding this reccomendation, if just so you can watch White House Down after and bask in how much better it is. Still a bit of dumb fun, though.

I'll have to check this out because I just watched Olympus Has Fallen and the horrible CGI killed me.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
So what is the good one? Olympus or WHD?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yay Pudding! posted:

WHD has President Jamie Foxx shout "Get your hands off my Jordans!"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
WHD has fun with its stupid concept, and stars Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx--two bros running around being clowns. Olympus tries to take itself too seriously, and stars an unfunny Gerard Butler and Aaron Eckhart as a less approachable Channing Tatum and a white Jamie Foxx, respectively.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
White House Down is Die Hard in the White House.

Olympus Has Fallen is Red Dawn in the White House.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

The most unbelievable part of this movie is the well fed North Koreans.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

White House Down is Die Hard in the White House.

Olympus Has Fallen is Red Dawn in the White House.

I don't know if it's the makeup Jamie Foxx is wearing or just the absolutely horrible acting in the preview shots, but White House Down looked like a serious horrorshow.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Did Netflix gain lots of new movies in the last few months? Suddenly there is stuff on it I've actually heard of/was popular :iiam:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watching Netflix on my xbox tonight for the first time since the app was updated and everything is really dark. Leverage but is so dark that it's nearly unwatchable. Looks fine on the Roku. Also Leverage looks like a pretty good show but I'm only 4 episodes in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

wormil posted:

Watching Netflix on my xbox tonight for the first time since the app was updated and everything is really dark. Leverage but is so dark that it's nearly unwatchable. Looks fine on the Roku. Also Leverage looks like a pretty good show but I'm only 4 episodes in.

Leverage is an incredibly consistent show. If you like it after 4 episodes, you'll probably like the entire show. It's fantastic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

thrawn527 posted:

Leverage is an incredibly consistent show. If you like it after 4 episodes, you'll probably like the entire show. It's fantastic.

I'm in season two which I'm liking even more than s1, pilot excepted.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I don't know if it's been up for a while, but I just noticed that they have all four seasons of Farscape up which is a great scifi show if anybody hasn't seen it. Less serious than say Star Trek and lots of cool aliens from Jim Henson Co.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It went away for a bit but just came back recently

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alexander Sokurov's Russian Ark went up sometime recently. Filmed in a single take, it follows a narrator through the Russian Hermitage Museum. While he walks through the Palace, he's also walking through 300 years of Russian history. It's kind of something you just have to see to appreciate (good thing it's a movie then!). Over 2000 actors, three orchestras, and two failed takes went into it.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Brotherhood of the travelling rant is really funny and good. The end made me cry, but thats not too hard.

Its a great docu about a very funny writer who goes on a tour with a childhood friend. A car gets flipped. People fight and argue.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I watched a few movies over the last couple weeks and somehow, my luck was excellent and almost every random movie I chose turned out to be good in one manner or another, topped off with a couple of frankly amazing ones..

Dead Man Down - Colin Farrell is a goon and the lead guy from "Hustle & Flow" is his boss. There's a (really, really hot) chick with terrible scars across half her face, they start a romance by waving at each other through their apartment windows. Then the gloves come off and people start telling the truth. She blackmails him, and then things get strange, sexy, and ugly as they plot a course for the Isle of Bloody Revenge. I am kind of "meh" on Colin Farrel for some reason however, I almost always like his movies.

Hammer of the Gods - is some average vikings on a quest fare, featuring Broody Leader, Crazy Berserker, Ugly Guy, etc. The story is pretty predictable, Broody Leader's father (the king) is dying, and there's no suitable heirs. So the king sends Broody off to find his brother, who everyone thought dead (and everybody's be better off if he was.) It then becomes Heart of Darkness. They brave many adversities to finally find Broody's brother, Colonel Kurtz. There're a lot of blue woad tattoos and mud and bones and stuff near the end, a pit fight, and Ophelia makes a cameo. It was shlocky, but not terribly so, and a lot stranger than I expected going in.

Burke and Hare (2010) - Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis, with a (very drunk and gorgeous) Isla Fisher. Simon Pegg's wife (Jessica Hynes) steals a lot of the scenes however, it's a pretty funny romp about graverobbers, drunk prostitutes wearing pants and badly reciting Shakespeare, and people getting in over their heads. Simon Pegg's sex scenes with his wife are pure gold and possibly make the movie worth watching on its own. There's an older movie of the same title which I definitely want to watch, now.

Battleground - bunch of dudes rob a bank in Flint, MI, but poo poo hits the fan and they hide in a shack out in the woods. Unfortunately, there's a scrawny old dude (who's somehow strong enough to push a blunt+square-fronted machete through someone's spine and out through their chest in one thrust). There's a thick guy who never takes off his sunglasses or body armor, in the crew, who reminded me of a character from "Heat" so I called him "Chubby Heat" the entire movie. Chubby Heat don't have patience for loving around. Booby traps abound, as do stressed-out hoodlums running into punji stick traps and stuff, in the woods. The old guy is really, really pissed off. If they'd been able to land someone like Christopher Walken to play the crazy Veteran it would have been a helluva lot more fun, he doesn't have a ton of lines but a scene-stealing actor would really have made this one potentially shine, especially with the little "Deer Hunter" homage thrown in toward the end. Worth watching if you like people dying in the woods.

King of the Streets - fairly standard but quality, kung fu fare. A kid with a chip on his shoulder tries to become the best fighter on the streets, and eventually takes on like 20 guys who're wielding lead pipes, in a tennis court. Multiple, multiple, MULTIPLE flashbacks to this fight throughout the movie (the big fight scenes reminded me of some of the cinematography in "Attack the Gas Station 2" which is a must-watch also available on netflix instant!). He kills someone (completely in self defense, too!) and goes to prison, then gets out and tries to be a regular joe. Bad guys hate orphans (and they also hate the hot chicks who take care of orphans,) though, so he has to bust a lot of heads. Good acting, good fight scenes, the chubby guy is suitably humorous for his limited roles. It helps if you don't spend half the movie thinking that someone ELSE was "The Street Fighter" who everybody keeps mentioning, since they don't recognize the guy when he gets out of the joint. Capitalists hate orphans, but good kung fu can stop capitalism!

Myn Bala: Warriors of the Steppe - historical-ish drama about the Kazakh people and their fight against one of the other ethnic groups which hated and picked on them a lot. Kazakh village is killed, two siblings and a boy escape with an old man and a woman, so they immediately go into the hills and start up a special forces training camp for steppe horse warriors. The kids get into their teens and get cocky, and talk a lot of poo poo at other Kazakhs who won't go off and steal horses and slit Dzungar (you may as well call them "Orcs," since they only wear black armor,) throats through kind of underhanded means. Eventually the bros have a difference of opinion based on one guy's ego, the Kazakhs decide to fight back, and then a big climactic battle scene to determine who gets to survive and own the steppes. I gave it 4 stars.

(Now we get to the really good stuff..!)

Dragon Knight -I picked this one because it had "Dragon" in the title, which is generally a gaurantee of something to be pretty crappy fantasy sword-and-sorcery fare. This was not what I was expecting at all- it's very very french art-house, especially if you expected some dragonslaying to be coming! The Dragon (Knight) is a dude who got horribly burned, there's a kid with a book which tells the story of how the Dragon Knight became the truest and most valiant knight in the land, who wants to find the DK and squire for him. The DK is not a very nice person though, and he's on a mission to capture a renegade poet who ran away from the pope's court (or who insulted the pope? Not entirely sure,) to run away with a woman. Bringing the poet back alive is optional, BUT he's the same guy who wrote the book about the Dragon Knight! Then there's a were-boar, and some of the most bizarrely anti-papist rituals (including nuns with ridiculous gags incorporated into their habits so they can't talk, an aboriginal mudman drum line, a gold incan-style effigy which seems to be of the pope and which needs to be baptized, and a guy in a metal tutu) I've seen in a movie that wasn't an Italian Western. Did I mention the were-boar? That was pretty hosed up. The ending was very satisfying, and if you enjoy art-house fare this may be pretty fun for you. I spent most of the movie going :aaa:

Wild Bill Bill gets out of prison, where he got sent for getting caught with drugs, weapons, the whole shebang. Andy Serkis makes a (very greasy!) cameo, while Bill tries to figure out how to get back into his family's apartment, and thus back into the lives of his two estranged sons. Mom left, she never comes back. This is mostly an emotional drama about family friction and making bad or difficult decisions, with a surprisingly strong cast and excellent acting all around. Totally 4 or 5 stars, and if you were falling asleep from the emotional drama late in the movie, Bill takes on 7 or 8 guys at once to keep you going. A very satisfying film, probably will make some of you dudes sniffle.

Finally, la piece de resistance:

Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill! A woman and her autistic son (who also has cerebral palsey for good measure) are celebrating Easter with her new boyfriend. Or it's Easter every day, because the kid's retarded and he loving LOOOOVES EASTER! The boyfriend is not a nice guy, and he's actually kind of hilariously greasy and sloppy. A strange homeless man gives the kid a pet rabbit as a secret present, and then the boyfriend decides to turn things into "The House on the Edge of the Park" once mom goes to work (after their first date when he sleeps over, apparently he just moves in!) Boyfriend doesn't like rabbits. Or retards. But he does like money, hookers, and doing really really dangerous lines of coke while driving around high as gently caress with a carload of hookers. Cheech and Chong show up to settle a score after they get fired from their housekeeping/landscaping/babysitting gig or whatever they were doing (painting? there's a gratuitous amount of plastic sheeting taped to everything!) and then the Easter Bunny gets out of the cage and starts killing people, and everything goes WAY Dario Argento for most of the rest of the film. I can't even describe it, they even throw in a gratuitous pedophile and one of the most bizarre happy! endings I've seen since "Let the Right One In." This movie first comes off as really low budget, but the camera-work seems to be intentionally primitive and is often framed in exactly the style of some of the weirder 70s Italian horror films, and it only has a cast of like, 8 to 10 total and maybe 2 sets which aren't inside the house, BUT it's just a nonstop pastiche of foreign exploitation horror/revenge films which was actually kind of amazingly well-done. Both myself and my (italian movie buff) roommate spent the entire movie after the first 10 minutes going :aaaaa: :psypop: , and when we watched the credits, almost everyone involved in the music, cinematography, and set design was Italian..!
-Watch this movie if you're a movie buff, or if you like really ludicrous horror movie premises which work amazingly well!
...If you've seen "House on the Edge of the Park", you might be able to guess how things eventually play out, but the ending will kill you anyway :laugh:

Turfahurf posted:

I don't know if it's been up for a while, but I just noticed that they have all four seasons of Farscape up which is a great scifi show if anybody hasn't seen it. Less serious than say Star Trek and lots of cool aliens from Jim Henson Co.
I really wish Babylon 5 would get put up on Instant, it's way too big to want to get on DVD. :(

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Dec 5, 2013

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Do you guys keep track of the movies and shows that you watch somehow? Basically, i'm a big fan of goodreads and I really want that exact same service, except for TV / movies. Is this a thing?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Drunk Tomato posted:

Do you guys keep track of the movies and shows that you watch somehow? Basically, i'm a big fan of goodreads and I really want that exact same service, except for TV / movies. Is this a thing?

IMDB used to have this service sort of, but I haven't logged into that site in maybe 7 years.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

coyo7e posted:

Battleground

I hated this movie. There's the obvious SUPER SERIOUS ACTING which is kinda bad and there was no point and one to root for, not the awful thieves or the awful Nam vet. I would have liked it better if all the characters died.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Drunk Tomato posted:

I've been using Letterboxd. It's pretty slick looking at the very least! It lets you post your own thoughts on everything you watch, tracks by date and number. Not too heavy on tying into every social media outlet in existence either. I mean...that stuff's there, but it's not required or automatic.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Started Farscape on a whim, never really heard of it before. It's a little zany but definitely watchable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Started Farscape on a whim, never really heard of it before. It's a little zany but definitely watchable.
Season 1 isn't very good but it gets better so if you like it now you'll really like it later. Also the movie finale is really good.

I need some new detective/mystery shows. I've seen all the Sherlock Holmes series, Poirot, Psych, Columbo, Luther, Cracker, Frost (not a fan of the latter two). What about Miss Marple, any good? Any other recommendations on Netflix or Amazon Prime? Preferably with an emphasis on mystery.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Season 1 didn't really have any direction other then "sci-fi with muppets" but season 2 starts to really pick up and by season 4 they have nailed a fantastic story. The show finale is really, really weird, but we got to movie to continue/finish the series and tie up the metaplot in the best way imaginable.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

wormil posted:

I need some new detective/mystery shows. I've seen all the Sherlock Holmes series, Poirot, Psych, Columbo, Luther, Cracker, Frost (not a fan of the latter two). What about Miss Marple, any good? Any other recommendations on Netflix or Amazon Prime? Preferably with an emphasis on mystery.

Have you seen Top Of The Lake? I really enjoyed it. It's not a "case of the week" show, though.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Watched Scenic Route last night with Josh Duhamel and Dan Fogler. Odd flick! Duhamel was pretty solid throughout, Fogler felt like he was trying to hard much of the time. Despite the over achieving and not much actually happening in the flick, they make it fairly engrossing. If nothing else, it left me thinking for a good while after the fact.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

showbiz_liz posted:

Have you seen Top Of The Lake? I really enjoyed it. It's not a "case of the week" show, though.

Never heard of it but I'll check it out, thanks.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

wormil posted:

Never heard of it but I'll check it out, thanks.

I really enjoyed The Fall with Gillian Anderson. Like Top Of The Lake it is not a case of the week but it is a strong cop/crime story.

Also, don't think it is streaming but Broadchurch is another solid English cop show.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

wormil posted:

House was a pretty good Holmes-esque medical mystery show, at least for the first few years.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Gallowalkers with Wesley Snipes is a passable avant-garde western. The plot is pretty goofy and all the characters are out of an anime or something but it has all the right ingredients for a western, from the set pieces to the music. The gunplay is only so-so. I guess it's basically Blade: The Western.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Yay Pudding! posted:

In Olympus Has Fallen has Gegard Butler taunts the villain by saying "I'm going to stick my knife in your brain." He does.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

wormil posted:

Try Midsomer Murders, Inspector Lewis, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, George Gently and Vera (especially Vera).

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

wormil posted:

I've heard good things about Foyles War. Never saw it myself though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

wormil posted:

I'll second "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson. Really excellent, 4 long episodes. It is a dark serial killer story, not at all light hearted like the modern Sherlock Holmes (which is preposterous but great fun).

I just think it's a whole lot better than most of the other shows that have serial killers as the subject matter. It's of the genre where you know who the killer is right away, he is one of the major characters whose story is told in parallel with that of the detective on the case (Anderson). It's really the fact that the villain is such an interesting and compelling character that makes the show, and even slightly sympathetic in an odd way, it's not a hammy Hannibal Lecter type role at all.

• Locked thread