Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cassa posted:

Ah, well to be exact I mean the delay between pushing the take photo button and it actually taking a photo.

I might look for the multi shot mode and just take plenty.

It's the autofocus, I believe. Some say they have decent luck shortening that delay with setting manual focus by tapping the screen, then hitting the button to take the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

1st AD posted:

Stolen sideloaded from the iPhone thread:

This is about as meaningful as saying that Apple's only done point releases for their desktop OS for the last decade or so. I mean, it's technically true, but it's kind of missing the point. Getting API updates via Google Play on Android and getting reduced functionality in iOS on upgrades (vs. new devices) makes it a lot less easy to directly compare the two via a chart like that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

1st AD posted:

Stolen sideloaded from the iPhone thread:

The Galaxy Nexus wasn't for sale after October 2012 and 4.4 has been out for 3 months? That is interesting

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

The Galaxy Nexus wasn't for sale after October 2012 and 4.4 has been out for 3 months? That is interesting
Don't you remember in the run up to the Nexus 4 how availability for the Galaxy Nexus dried up? It happened with the N4 > N5 too although it's not reflected on the chart. Of course that chart also doesn't have a distinction between the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and the real Galaxy Nexus so their idea of availability could be meaning something different.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Skeezy posted:

Where could I find the Developer Edition RUU for an HTC One? I'm on T-Mobile and I guess HTC Dev doesn't have it? I have S-OFF and all that already.

Edit: A guide I found said to download the Brightstar US Dev RUU. Is that the one I'd want?

Yes, Brightstar is the developer and unlocked edition. There is no 4.4 RUU on htcdev.com yet so you'll have to download 4.3 RUU and then download the 4.4 OTA. That or you can wait.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

api call girl posted:

It's the autofocus, I believe. Some say they have decent luck shortening that delay with setting manual focus by tapping the screen, then hitting the button to take the picture.

Ah, I'll check that out for sure! Thanks for the heads up.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Maxx camera is loving terrible. c/d

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TenaciousTomato posted:

Maxx camera is loving terrible. c/d

It's pretty mediocre, but the rest of the phone is loving incredible.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just got mine today, and I got the camera update. Moto isn't offering kit Kat on the maxx like they did for the x (yet?)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Roundboy posted:

Just got mine today, and I got the camera update. Moto isn't offering kit Kat on the maxx like they did for the x (yet?)

The Camera Update helps. KitKat should hopefully be just a week or two away, but with VZW I am not holding my breath...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Yes, Brightstar is the developer and unlocked edition. There is no 4.4 RUU on htcdev.com yet so you'll have to download 4.3 RUU and then download the 4.4 OTA. That or you can wait.

I'm guessing I have to wait it out for the OTA. I installed the Brightstar RUU for the dev edition and it works fine, but no OTA yet.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

kensei posted:

The Camera Update helps. KitKat should hopefully be just a week or two away, but with VZW I am not holding my breath...

I rooted and upgraded to the GEL, was there anything else worth grabbing in the nexus 5 app pack like KB or clock or ?

Edit: and while I love the ok Google now catchphrase, is there any way to set a sound when its been recognized and ready for the next input? Like the beep when you just "OK Google" from the search screen?

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 4, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Moto X chat

I checked them out at an ATT store and was surprised that the back covers have different textures. Some of them are smooth/slipper and others are more grippy/rubberized. They really should have that info on the Motomaker site. I almost bought turquoise!

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

Mu Zeta posted:

Moto X chat

I checked them out at an ATT store and was surprised that the back covers have different textures. Some of them are smooth/slipper and others are more grippy/rubberized. They really should have that info on the Motomaker site. I almost bought turquoise!

Do you know which is which? I am looking at buying one tomorrow/Monday and would prefer grippy! I am looking specifically at the bright yellow.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The Dev X back is greased lightning slick.

Goon rule: toss in Diztronic, done.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Roundboy posted:

Edit: and while I love the ok Google now catchphrase, is there any way to set a sound when its been recognized and ready for the next input? Like the beep when you just "OK Google" from the search screen?

If your media volume is on you should hear the gabloop sound when it starts listening. Then it gives you the bleedaleep sound when it confirms what you said. If you like your media volume off you can try tasker to increase media volume while Google now is open and reduce the volume when it's closed / after ten seconds / whatever you want.

I just finished my Tasker hands-free texting function and it is working swell. When I get a text, it checks my volume. If my ringer is at vibrate or lower, tasker does nothing. If my ringer is on, tasker tells me who the text is from. If I say "read", the text is read to me. If I say reply, it tells me when it's recording my message. From there I can ask it to confirm and it reads my message back (so I can check it for accuracy), and I can send the message, and I can record a reply and save it for later without sending. At any time I can say exit and it politely leaves me alone.

I can have conversations via text while I'm driving and not touch my phone once.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FredLordofCheese posted:

Do you know which is which? I am looking at buying one tomorrow/Monday and would prefer grippy! I am looking specifically at the bright yellow.

I don't know about yellow. I would ask Motorola on twitter or call a Verizon or ATT store and ask someone. I know for sure that the black, navy blue, royal blue, dark green, and cabernet purple are rubbery.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If your media volume is on you should hear the gabloop sound when it starts listening. Then it gives you the bleedaleep sound when it confirms what you said. If you like your media volume off you can try tasker to increase media volume while Google now is open and reduce the volume when it's closed / after ten seconds / whatever you want.

I just finished my Tasker hands-free texting function and it is working swell. When I get a text, it checks my volume. If my ringer is at vibrate or lower, tasker does nothing. If my ringer is on, tasker tells me who the text is from. If I say "read", the text is read to me. If I say reply, it tells me when it's recording my message. From there I can ask it to confirm and it reads my message back (so I can check it for accuracy), and I can send the message, and I can record a reply and save it for later without sending. At any time I can say exit and it politely leaves me alone.

I can have conversations via text while I'm driving and not touch my phone once.

That sounds pretty cool. Is there a way you could extract all those changes and variables into a file for easy importing into another phone with tasker installed? Does tasker support that?

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know about yellow. I would ask Motorola on twitter or call a Verizon or ATT store and ask someone. I know for sure that the black, navy blue, royal blue, dark green, and cabernet purple are rubbery.

Ooh the cabernet purple was my second choice. I think I have a twitter account somewhere, thanks!

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
My HTC One won't load instagram pictures. I'll click a link to one from facebook/twitter, and the page will load with all the comments and likes, but the image itself will never show. This is using Chrome on Android 4.3. Anyone know a fix?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Don't you remember in the run up to the Nexus 4 how availability for the Galaxy Nexus dried up? It happened with the N4 > N5 too although it's not reflected on the chart. Of course that chart also doesn't have a distinction between the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and the real Galaxy Nexus so their idea of availability could be meaning something different.

Not really since I got my GNex right before the N4 came out :v: it was still available for a long time after that - maybe not from the Play Store, but that's not really relevant considering most of those phones were on sale outside of the Play Store too.

It's the three months 'one major version behind' that gets me. 4.4's been out for one month. Basically I'm not putting a lot of stock in that graph

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Nice, looks like I'm going to install tasked on this phone again.

Is this with text messaging (or
hangouts) because I use Google voice

Edit just made sure my media volume was up, and ok Google now gives me the proper hello screen, but no noise. Only when I let it sit for a while it opens the search page and dings there a nanosecond before shutting off. And if the phone closes on the search page, and locks the screen, OK Google now keyword does not work. It reverts to OK Google functionality.

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 4, 2013

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That sounds pretty cool. Is there a way you could extract all those changes and variables into a file for easy importing into another phone with tasker installed? Does tasker support that?

Tasker does support export / import but I have never tested it. I will do some tests on my wife's phone and get back to you. You will need the "AutoVoice" plugin for about $1.50 but it's by far the most valuable plug-in made for Tasker so you can't go wrong.

Roundboy posted:

Nice, looks like I'm going to install tasked on this phone again.

Is this with text messaging (or
hangouts) because I use Google voice

I configured it to work with SMS, doesn't make a difference between Messenger or Hangouts. It sends messages through the default SMS app. Tasker has a ton of built-in variables so I can check on google talk functionality.

As for Google not beeping at you when it's recording I have no idea. Does it beep when you swipe up to Google Now and push the record button?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It does,but i think i figured it out. I should just say ok Google now -thing I want - vs waiting like the default Google now search. No need to wait for a ding because its recording as soon as the catchphrase is there.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Roundboy posted:

It does,but i think i figured it out. I should just say ok Google now -thing I want - vs waiting like the default Google now search. No need to wait for a ding because its recording as soon as the catchphrase is there.

Yeah, on the X and the Maxx, it's listening continuously. No need for pausing.

I just say "Ok Google now call wife" in one smooth sentence.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How is the Moto G? My mother needs a new phone but it seems like all cheapish android phones suck even for for day to day use to the point where even a Lumia 520 will perform better.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Tasker does support export / import but I have never tested it. I will do some tests on my wife's phone and get back to you. You will need the "AutoVoice" plugin for about $1.50 but it's by far the most valuable plug-in made for Tasker so you can't go wrong.

I configured it to work with SMS, doesn't make a difference between Messenger or Hangouts. It sends messages through the default SMS app. Tasker has a ton of built-in variables so I can check on google talk functionality.

As for Google not beeping at you when it's recording I have no idea. Does it beep when you swipe up to Google Now and push the record button?

I'd be interested in this, as well. What does it do if you're listening to music? Does it pause the music until you're done?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

gmq posted:

How is the Moto G? My mother needs a new phone but it seems like all cheapish android phones suck even for for day to day use to the point where even a Lumia 520 will perform better.
For what you pay, excellent. It's way better than it's price tag would suggest.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

2nd the request for an export. I'm using Tasker for a couple things, but mostly I just suck at programming it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gmq posted:

Reviewers are mostly blown away by it for the cost. Camera is not top tier.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
This is the annoying need for tasker, as i dont like to keep my media volume, ringer volume, etc at max blast all the time, except for certain criteria, like navigation, google now, etc.

it does get a tad annoying to set up all those variables to save states, but man is it worth it. Im surprised smart actions (now moto assist) doesn't do this as an extra next step with all the situational settings it has.,

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Skeezy posted:

I'm guessing I have to wait it out for the OTA. I installed the Brightstar RUU for the dev edition and it works fine, but no OTA yet.

The OTA for 4.4 was pushed out last weekend. It could just be your device not wanting to pull the update for some strange reason V:shobon:V

If you can find the OTA on XDA you can send it to your SD card > boot into recovery > select install update from SD card and it will install 4.4 without erasing any of your data (just like an OTA)!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

The OTA for 4.4 was pushed out last weekend. It could just be your device not wanting to pull the update for some strange reason V:shobon:V

If you can find the OTA on XDA you can send it to your SD card > boot into recovery > select install update from SD card and it will install 4.4 without erasing any of your data (just like an OTA)!

Tried moving from a 4.1.2 zip and seeing if I can update from there. When I try to update I can download the 4.3 update but then get a "variant system version" error.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, on the X and the Maxx, it's listening continuously. No need for pausing.

I just say "Ok Google now call wife" in one smooth sentence.

Yeah. When my wife was using it I kept telling her to pause and wait for the beep after saying "OK Google Now". Turns out I'm the dummy and you don't have to do that for the Moto X.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
"Google Play Services" is taking up an unexpected amount of battery on my HTC One, and has been for a few weeks now. Like, on the bus this morning, my phone was at about 92% (went to 88% over a 15 minute bus ride), and I checked the battery since I'd had my phone unplugged all night using it as an alarm. Google Play Services was taking up 70% of that 8% battery spend over the past eight hours. What's going on here?

Comparatively, every other app I use takes up a tiny amount of battery, even over a day of usage.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
If anyone wants one of those cyber monday $350 moto x phones, it's live now. Register for a $150 coupon here. GO GO GO

http://motorola.com/holiday2daysale

edit: Gone. They'll do another one on Monday.

Civil fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 4, 2013

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Brannock posted:

"Google Play Services" is taking up an unexpected amount of battery on my HTC One, and has been for a few weeks now. Like, on the bus this morning, my phone was at about 92% (went to 88% over a 15 minute bus ride), and I checked the battery since I'd had my phone unplugged all night using it as an alarm. Google Play Services was taking up 70% of that 8% battery spend over the past eight hours. What's going on here?

Comparatively, every other app I use takes up a tiny amount of battery, even over a day of usage.

Settings - apps - all - Google play services - clear data

Worked for me.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah. When my wife was using it I kept telling her to pause and wait for the beep after saying "OK Google Now". Turns out I'm the dummy and you don't have to do that for the Moto X.

It definitely took some getting used to but I am really loving it on my MAXX. I really can't recommend this enough if you're on Verizon. I didn't use it really heavily but I never dropped below 70% yesterday.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422729950"]
Settings - apps - all - Google play services - clear data

Worked for me.

quote:

We’ve sold all the phones we allotted for this promotion. If you missed out, you can try again Monday 12/9 at noon EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google Play Services stopped using up a ton of battery after the first three weeks on my Nexus 5

• Locked thread