Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Beachcomber posted:

My mom wants to buy this Electric Fireplace. Personally, I think this is somewhat ridiculous, but I was wondering if anyone has/knows someone who has one of these. Do the "flames" look as fake as I think they would? The heat would depend on the quality of the model, but I don't think it makes sense to place a space heater directly under a television, regardless.

v
Thanks!

Is this for aesthetics or to actually heat a room? If it's the latter she'd be better served by an electric oil-filled radiator. I use one to keep my improved basement warm during the winter; with the assistance of a box fan set to low blowing through it I can keep the 350 square foot improved part of my basement above 65 degrees, and according to a kill-a-watt it only adds about $20/month to the electric bill.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Can someone recommend a safe and secure password keeping app/program that works well? Or a thread where I could ask?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Doghouse posted:

Can someone recommend a safe and secure password keeping app/program that works well? Or a thread where I could ask?

I LOVE 1Password, but it's not cheap.

Lots of colleagues use KeePass and I've heard decent things about LastPass as well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Etrips posted:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...-5#.Up1R_uJdApM

I think this may have been it? Or something close to it.

Those are cubes...I'm looking for hexes, man!

But thanks for the link...if I cant' get hexes, I might get those...they're cheaper than the ones I found.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does anyone know if there is some kind of a simple, stack-able hexagonal shelf/storage solution that's similar to these cubes:

I might just get those cubes, but I'd prefer some cool-lookin' hexagons to help complete the transition of my apartment to a 1970's super-villain lair.

I've seen instructions online for building some, but I'm in an apartment...and while I do have a basement with a workbench, I don't have any sort of mitre/chop saw that I'd need to make the cuts.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Those are cubes...I'm looking for hexes, man!
I found this on Etsy.

Best way of searching for stull like this seems to be clicking through on links in google image search. Queries like "hexagonal shelves" and "honeycomb shelves". Using GIS instead of normal Google helps to quickly weed out links unrelated to what you're actually looking for.

EDIT Yep, Esty seems the place to be.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Doghouse posted:

OSX and iOS have one built-in.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Doghouse posted:

I like LastPass.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
lastpass is the simplest option. It's cloud based but completely secure, the database is only encrypted on your computer. You can also use keepass and keep the database in dropbox for a similar experience if you want more control over it.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some scented candles that actually smell like things, rather than perfume-detergent versions of things? I know that's pretty vague, but anything by Glade or Fabreeze is absolutely terrible. I'd like to smell refreshing vanilla or citrus, rather than "Fresh Linen" and "Magenta Wind" or what the hell ever.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Baldbeard posted:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some scented candles that actually smell like things, rather than perfume-detergent versions of things? I know that's pretty vague, but anything by Glade or Fabreeze is absolutely terrible. I'd like to smell refreshing vanilla or citrus, rather than "Fresh Linen" and "Magenta Wind" or what the hell ever.

http://www.yankeecandle.com/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Seconded. Go to one of their stores though, actually smelling the candle is way better than the description, although certain things smell exactly like their description. They have something called like fireplace or some poo poo like that that really does smell like burning firewood. There will be a shitload of smells you probably won't like, but you're bound to find something that is perfect. For me it's "Home for the Holidays". I buy it every year and it makes my house smell "like christmas"

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I know the 'best bag' type question gets asked a lot but I'm not 100% sold on the traditional bag recommendations because I have a somewhat niche use case as somebody who runs a PA/staging/lighting company with a small number of multi-skilled staff; in short, my role entails everything from office work and admin to site electrician and sound or lighting engineer.

Generally I have to carry not only a laptop (2.5KG 15" MacBook Pro) but iPad, a small soundcard and microphone plus an assortment of smallish tools like ring spanners/wrenches, various screwdriver sizes including hex bits, multi-tool and mole grips plus electrica and cablel testers and various fuses/bolts and audio adapters etc. In all honesty I'd say daily carry weight is in the region of 5-6KG, and annoyingly it's a mixture of bicycle commutes both to the office and various venues/sites as well as walking about sometimes large locations.

On top of this it's often client facing work and I'd prefer it to look nice and business like rather than covered in visible nylon webbing or neon colours (such as Timbuk2's stuff) but it still has to be quite durable. Messenger style seems like it would be better for that but I'm aware that with the weight involved it could end up damaging my shoulders, which are already sometimes sore from the various bits of heavy lifting I have to do over the weekends.

Finding one bag that's suitable for all of these things is proving a chore but I feel I could justify a big spend if I can tick a lot of the boxes in one go! Anybody got a recommendation that suits my pie in the sky ideals, or at least something in the right direction that I can make a compromise on?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
You could try this thread in YLLS if no one has an answer here.

Messenger bag recommendations?

There's even a nice bag on the last page. :)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Baldbeard posted:

Yankee Candle is good, but these guys are amazing. Things smell exactly like what they say they are.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

You can't link that and not link some of their patented Man Scents, such as First Down, Riding Mower and the ever classic Man Town™. Escape to the Man Cave with Man Town™.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is there a Christmas/holiday gift thread yet?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

bee burger posted:

The Wirecutter says this wireless speaker is pretty good plus it is on sale with free shipping. Not the newest model but it is cheaper. The newer one is a bit louder and sounds better or something.

Logitech UE Mini Boom. My roommate got one, it's loving great, especially for $99. Plus they're even cheaper on Amazon right now, $79.99.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you want to scent up a room don't use scented candles. Yankee are all right I guess but I'd get a reed diffuser instead. Much less cloying and artificial smelling. If you want to get scented candles, The Body Shop has spendy but nice ones.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on a iPhone dock stereo system? Need to pump out some jams during my workouts.

http://minirigs.co.uk

No wireless and very much 'no frills' in general but these sound amazing and the battery life does actually last for 50 hours at medium volume from a single charge and they're nearly indestructible.

Also if your friends have some and you daisy chain 3 or more together in a park or whatever you're pretty much at the output level to have a party or at the least get complaints from people nearby.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Neurophonic posted:

I know the 'best bag' type question gets asked a lot but I'm not 100% sold on the traditional bag recommendations because I have a somewhat niche use case as somebody who runs a PA/staging/lighting company with a small number of multi-skilled staff; in short, my role entails everything from office work and admin to site electrician and sound or lighting engineer.

Hello fellow bag obsessed production dude.

My very recent bag search lead me to the Timbuk2 Aviator backpack. It is only mildly covered in straps and to me is the prefect compromise between utility, size, comfort, and looks. Shoot me a PM or email at username at gmail if you want some pictures, their site doesn't have great ones.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking to give a writing pen as a present that needs to be durable and comfortable. It's for a friend that is constantly on the move but loves writing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Neurophonic posted:

Generally I have to carry not only a laptop (2.5KG 15" MacBook Pro) but iPad, a small soundcard and microphone plus an assortment of smallish tools like ring spanners/wrenches, various screwdriver sizes including hex bits, multi-tool and mole grips plus electrica and cablel testers and various fuses/bolts and audio adapters etc. In all honesty I'd say daily carry weight is in the region of 5-6KG, and annoyingly it's a mixture of bicycle commutes both to the office and various venues/sites as well as walking about sometimes large locations.

On top of this it's often client facing work and I'd prefer it to look nice and business like rather than covered in visible nylon webbing or neon colours (such as Timbuk2's stuff) but it still has to be quite durable. Messenger style seems like it would be better for that but I'm aware that with the weight involved it could end up damaging my shoulders, which are already sometimes sore from the various bits of heavy lifting I have to do over the weekends.

Finding one bag that's suitable for all of these things is proving a chore but I feel I could justify a big spend if I can tick a lot of the boxes in one go! Anybody got a recommendation that suits my pie in the sky ideals, or at least something in the right direction that I can make a compromise on?

I am going to make my recommendation based on the assumption that money is no object.

The use case I'm seeing is
-Must carry both iPad and 15"mbp
-Must carry a variety of tools and have them easily accessible
-Must look at least semi-professional
-Must be easy to carry

My recommendation is the Tom Bihn Empire Builder messenger/laptop bag with a variety of add-ons.

The bag itself has several zip pockets on the outside, a smaller sized zip compartment in the front, and a larger wide open zip compartment in the back.

The front compartment has a set of organizer pockets to hold pens and poo poo like that. It also has a couple of metal rings sewn into the inside so you can attach straps and pouches and poo poo from the accessories section. I use a strap for my keys, it's very convenient. I figure you can use this space to carry your tools and iPad. If you are so inclined, they sell a variety of neoprene sleeves designed specifically for each model of iPad so you can get one perfectly sized to your model, with your choice of horizontal or vertical orientation.

For the main compartment, buy a Horizontal Brain Cell, which is Tom Bihn's laptop case that is fitted for different models of laptop (including 15" mbp) that is designed specifically to drop into their bags, and also have nice carry handles if you want to separate the two. The Brain Cell attaches to the inside of the Empire Builder using a set of clips that holds the device securely in place. So it's not so much a laptop sleeve as it is an integrated but removable compartment. It makes flight checkpoints easy as well.

The rest of the main compartment can be for whatever you please, and it will accommodate textbooks or whatever you feel like. It's got space. You could probably carry everything you need for a job plus a set of clothes if you wanted, though the also have bags made specifically for flights. If you want to use it to organize files or whatever, they make stuff for that. Tom Bihn's accessories section has stuff for all kinds of poo poo and though it will run up a bill, it's ridiculously durable.

If you buy this bag, buy the Absolute Shoulder Strap. It makes an incredible difference and is incredibly comfortable strap. It's made of neoprene or something, and distributes the weight fantastically. I have had 30+ pound loads on this strap that felt just fine.

Lastly, I believe this bag looks pretty drat professional.

Now, all that said, really that's just an introduction to what kind of stuff they have to offer in accessories. If you need to do a bike commute, the Empire Builder might not be for you. However, they also have packs with hide-away backpack straps, or removeable chest and/or waist stabilizers that help you carry this stuff. A friend of mine travels quite a bit for meetings and such and uses a Brain Bag with shitloads of dividers and such and has never been given a second look about it other than for a compliment.

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Dec 4, 2013

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Looking for a blu-ray player that will connect to a laptop via USB, and a television. Any recommendations?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations guys, especially nice to hear from somebody else wrapped up in production madness. Sadly I'm in the UK which limits the options somewhat, it seems I'd have to import the Timbuk2 Aviator and if that's the case the slightly less shiny material and look of the Tom Bihn stuff may swing it, especially as the prices seem to be relatively comparable even with all the extras.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Doghouse posted:

1Password.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a corded trackball mouse where the trackball is used with the thumb? I've tried trackballs with the fingers and they're too painful. I use a desktop with the tower below me; I'm pretty certain cordless mice don't work with a setup like that.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

LivesInGrey posted:

I use a desktop with the tower below me; I'm pretty certain cordless mice don't work with a setup like that.

Cordless mice use radio waves, so I don't see why not.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
They certainly do, I had that specific setup for years.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

LivesInGrey posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a corded trackball mouse where the trackball is used with the thumb? I've tried trackballs with the fingers and they're too painful. I use a desktop with the tower below me; I'm pretty certain cordless mice don't work with a setup like that.

Wireless should work fine, and these are fantastic:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570?crid=8

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Thanks for the rec and the info. I had no clue how wireless mice worked, so now I know and I have something to put on my Amazon wishlist!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I need a simple mouse with the following capabilities:

-wireless
-two buttons
-tilting scroll wheel
-mac compatible (this seems to be the dealbreaker for a basic logitech mouse)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm using the Logitech M510 and I love it. So much that i bought 3 extra in case it breaks.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm using the Logitech M510 and I love it. So much that i bought 3 extra in case it breaks.

Smart move considering it's impossible to find a new in box MX518 these days at a reasonable price. It was my favorite mouse along with the old Microsoft IntelliMouse and nothing else compares.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I currently have the M325 and while the tech specs on logitech's website claim it is Mac compatible, you can't configure the tilts on the scrollwheel so they're essentially useless (I called up logitech and they admitted as much). Is the M510 actually configurable using the Logitech Control Center on a mac? Can you assign functions to the tilts on the scrollwheel?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
My old bedside projector clock is finally on it's last legs. Absolute musts area digital display and indoor thermometer, also a backlight that doesn't stay on all night. Other features like hydrometer, outdoor thermometer, projector and radio set-time are nice but not essential. I'd also prefer if it was battery powered rather than mains but I can live with it if not.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Can anyone recommend some warm, colorful and preferably fuzzy socks? My sister loves them and some warm socks for lounging around at home is just what she needs for Christmas.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tagichatn posted:

Can anyone recommend some warm, colorful and preferably fuzzy socks? My sister loves them and some warm socks for lounging around at home is just what she needs for Christmas.

Smartwool for life. They may not be fuzzy exactly, but they are awesome in every way.

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

qutius posted:

Smartwool for life. They may not be fuzzy exactly, but they are awesome in every way.

If you're considering a full-wool sock, dollar for dollar, look at Vermont Darn Tough first. Made in America + lifetime wear/product defect guarantee on every product they make.

If you want fuzzy warm socks (aka Wigwams), buy the Costco Kirkland Signature-brand fuzzy wool/acrylic socks. Fun fact: they're de-branded Wigwams, but also have Costco's lifetime satisfaction guarantee, which is a step up from product defect guarantees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Would anyone recommend the Brita faucet filter? Or any of their other products? Thinking of getting one for my mom so she doesn't need to keep refilling the water cooler.

• Locked thread