Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nurge posted:

That was a response to the video someone linked to me in the post I quoted, not Gone Home. I was trying to illustrate why the video's message of "Let's not define what anything is because it limits our creativity." might not be the absolutely most well thought out thing ever.

Pretending like you can delineate between games and not-games even though objects from both classifications are functionally identical is also a poorly considered position.

SheepNameKiller posted:

I don't, I'm playing devil's advocate. Before the game came out I thought from the trailer that it was a scary game, but I am not going to flip out over this because the end result was still worth the purchase in my eyes.

You are being really unnecessarily snarky here and in your prior post and I'm mostly trying to ignore those parts.

Man, you really love tone arguments.

I think the problem is that someone who wasn't able to figure out that Gone Home wasn't a horror game is probably also not going to get what the game is trying to do, so it's one of those unfortunate compound complaints. I don't have any sympathy, especially when said individuals (who are assuredly out there) blame others as responsible for their own personal media illiteracy. This kinda dovetails into why so many people felt personally offended by Gone Home, I would assume because they didn't 'get it', and obviously it's THEIR fault for being misleading etc.

VVVVV Christ you're whiny.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Man, you really love tone arguments.

See, you're incapable of making a single post without making a jab along side it. We're not arguing about anything, I'm stating my opinion on the game and on people's general inability to discuss it rationally without taking a poo poo on anyone who disagrees with them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rita Repulsa posted:

Face it, "gamers" single out gone home not because it's a non game on steam, there's already a lot of those. They have an agenda. They're the ones who think gamer girls are out to get them and that anita s. is trying to (I have seen this, literally stated) "take away everything they love" meaning video games. The ones who laugh at pewdiepies rape jokes. The weakest, frailest, most pathetic specimens of man. That's why they cannot ignore it like the other nongames. I'm sick of mindless poo poo being told to my face is gameplay depth, and of gamers so afraid of doing something meaningful that they'll try to redefine game until it doesn't include that one where you play as a woman exploring a house.

What the hell are you even doing. Obviously the only reason people talk bad about this game or feel like it wasn't worthwhile must be because they love pewdiepie, they're some spastic 4chan kiddie who legitimately believes all the "eval feminism" crap or because apparently they're frail and effeminate bad examples of men? Also how every other game is apparently Mass Effect or those instant gratification RPGs! that aren't meaningful or something.

I don't even particularly care about the arguments for this game and will obviously agree that a lot of spergs just hate it because they're spergs but goddamn.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not talking about every other other game.
Just the ones I've seen called "deep" or "art", and not because of their gameplay.

I kind of feel like my arguement was fairly simple and clear and just got lost because of my tone because I'm not seeing any of what I actually said in your post,

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

VVVVV Christ you're whiny.

And you are high and mighty and in general an absolutely awful person to try to talk to.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I just wanted to say that I thought this actually used the medium of a video game pretty well. I don't think the story would have played out nearly as well in book or movie format specifically because the interactivity was so important to my experience of exploring the house. Books would be constrained in a way that a game is not in how it portrays information. Books tend to have a conservation of information problem where they specifically highlight things they want to point out. Much of the exploration in the game was me specifically enjoying being able to pass over something that just seemed like part of the household without much reason and then in retrospect realizing it somehow linked one of the characters to another or related to a specific event; if I had been reading a book it would have to specifically be brought to my attention and the realization would have felt much less rewarding or more forced.

Similarly a movie suffers from some kind of narrative interpretation being forced through either in the form of the actor's reactions and emotions upon finding certain elements such as the big buildup leading to the attic. I never had the gripping panic of thinking Sam had killed herself, but its clear many other people did. I think the game did a decent job of working within the interactive medium and left the pieces strewn about in such a way that encouraged speculation and imagination to run wild while playing. The limitations of other mediums I think would not have been able to let this projection of thoughts and concerns of the spectators diverge so wildly. I forgot where it was said but someone talked about the game having multiple 'middles,' and while I don't think that's true from a linearity perspective, I think it is true in people's interpretation of events.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I should have been able to leverage the games poignant revelations like upgrade points, using them to improve my characters Empathy, Melancholy, and Bereavement.

Riot Grrl tapes should have been big spinning collectibles that unlock concept art and a buss rush mode.

Seriously though, even though Gone Home's core story is pretty simple, I'm really glad it exists since it sets a great precedent for the kind of stories games are allowed to tell.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 3, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

What the hell are you even doing. Obviously the only reason people talk bad about this game or feel like it wasn't worthwhile must be because they love pewdiepie, they're some spastic 4chan kiddie who legitimately believes all the "eval feminism" crap or because apparently they're frail and effeminate bad examples of men? Also how every other game is apparently Mass Effect or those instant gratification RPGs! that aren't meaningful or something.

I don't even particularly care about the arguments for this game and will obviously agree that a lot of spergs just hate it because they're spergs but goddamn.

I don't think he meant that everybody who dislikes this game is some feminism-hating, frothing at the mouth lunatic. There are some people out there who seem to be dedicated in their hate of this game.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

SheepNameKiller posted:

See, you're incapable of making a single post without making a jab along side it. We're not arguing about anything, I'm stating my opinion on the game and on people's general inability to discuss it rationally without taking a poo poo on anyone who disagrees with them.

I've seen plenty of people (in this thread, and by people who like the game even!) talk in a civil manner about the weak points of the game, it's just not when someone (not saying you) levels a criticism like "this game not for consumption by males, it is an interactive chick flick".

As for your point about the marketing, I'm not sure I agree that it was marketed as something else. Looking at the 2 trailers for the game available on steam for instance, one of them (the launch trailer) clearly states that it is a "Story Exploration video game", while the other one is the one with Riot Grrrl music playing as it show cases the character poking around the house (decidedly not a horror-style trailer). If I recall correctly the steam page even explicitly states that it is not a horror game.

I'm of two minds about this as for my personal experience, the only things I knew about the game before playing it was the general premise (you come home to find an abandoned house, and you explore the house to found out what happened, a scenario one could certainly interpret as creepy/scary) and the fact that a bunch of people apparently liked it. If you went into the game like I did but exploration games weren't your cup of tea, I could certainly see some people being disappointed (though one could hardly blame the game's marketing if one went in blind). On the other hand, I feel like the fact that I went in blind combined with the way the game appears to play around with and subvert traditional "gamer" expectations/conventions and genre tropes actually enhanced my experience.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

From OCTOBER

SheepNameKiller posted:

The people who feel the need to vehemently defend this game by attacking the people who don't like it make threads about these types of games unreadable.

There's pretty much just one person making this thread unreadable for weeks now.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There are the green shoots of a sort of visual novel present in the game: I think that if you had a really AAA budget, you could produce a game with the sort of depth of detail that you find in a novel like Middlemarch. I think that the main reason this becomes a game is that we're still conditioned to think that there's a reason we need to explore a place (where the gently caress is everyone?).

Imagine a game where you are an incorporeal entity floating around a community and your only task is to listen to what people are saying or read what they're written, and construct a narrative of your own volition based on what you hear or see. No end goal, no task list, no achievements. Just you and your curiosity. That's a game I'd like to play, but I can also see why people wouldn't enjoy it.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I had to find a code in order to open a thing, this is clearly a game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I had to find a code in order to open a thing, this is clearly a game.

Yknow the first thing I tried to do with safe combos was to plug in digits from birthdates, anniversary dates, and other numbers. Like in one of those movies where hero's trying to figure out their friend's password. I can't be the only one to have tried that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kingturnip posted:

Imagine a game where you are an incorporeal entity floating around a community and your only task is to listen to what people are saying or read what they're written, and construct a narrative of your own volition based on what you hear or see. No end goal, no task list, no achievements. Just you and your curiosity. That's a game I'd like to play, but I can also see why people wouldn't enjoy it.

It's kinda funny. I would consider that theoretical game "a game." But when I describe something like Space Engine, I explicitly describe it as "not a game." But, they're pretty much the same thing. In Space Engine, you're an incorporeal entity floating around, observing content. The only real difference between your game and Space Engine is that, in your game, the world is filled with bespoke narrative content, whereas in Space Engine, you're just seeing procedurally generated content.

But, then again, the only difference between your game and any other game is that in your game the object isn't explicitly codified by telling you that it is over when you achieve it. If you just took Gone Home and removed the part where reading the final journal caused the credits to roll, you wouldn't change the nature of it.

After all, the goal in Gone Home isn't to go to the attic and click on a book. It's to explore the house and figure out what happened. In most modern games, "winning" isn't really something that happens. You play them for a while, and then they end. For that matter, "Losing" doesn't really exist either. You die, and then you keep playing. Games aren't about winning or losing. What most games actually are about is absorbing content. The goal of Call of Duty isn't to do the steps necessary to finish it, but to shoot at people so that the game gives you more people to shoot at. The fact that there's a credit roll at the end of this doesn't factor into your drive to play the game. The reason we push the control stick forward is because it will allow us to absorb more content.

To me, a game is something where you perform a task to achieve a goal. In your game, if you didn't have to explore to construct a narrative, but instead the narrative was readily available in front of you, there would be no game. I guess that's the difference between it and Space Engine is that in Space Engine, there's nothing to be achieved. There's just content that exists to be observed.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Imagine the game kingturnip described but instead of people talking they are ambling about speaking modified Simlish and instead of a floating entity you are Noby Noby Boy, and you are describing Noby Noby Boy, which feels like a game to me even though it had no objective. It ESPECIALLY feels like a game when two players are playing, but yeah. Feels like a game the way a kid would say "playing house" in response to a parent asking what game they're playing -- a game as a weird ambling amorphous non-story constructed by the kids playing it, which ends only when they get tired of it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Imagine a game where you are explaining your definition of what a game is and get everyone to agree with you.

You think you're winning and then Aristotle comes out with a plucked chicken and shows that it fulfills your definition of mangame

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

Imagine a game where you are explaining your definition of what a game is and get everyone to agree with you.

You think you're winning and then Aristotle comes out with a plucked chicken and shows that it fulfills your definition of mangame

I'm going to give this one more try and note that you're probably right. I shouldn't have tried to latch onto the whole game thing. I'm going to try to explain why it rubs me the wrong way though, even though I fully acknowledge I may be wrong.

Back in the mid 90s I played games a bunch, and I enjoyed the interactivity and problem solving aspects a lot. I also liked Star Wars. So one day I find what was probably Rogue Squadron in the store with cool ships and stuff on the cover and I fondly remembered playing the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games a few years earlier. So I buy the game and go home to play it and find out that it's actually identical to the laserdisc arcade shooters of the 80s. You have no control over anything except where you point your cursor to shoot. Basically nothing you do affects the outcome of anything except in a strict pass/try again sense. That game was basically just a movie where you click on things. Gone Home seems to me like a book where you click on things, which is much preferable, but it still bothers me.

Going back to the Planescape: Torment comparison the difference I think is that Torment, despite having really bad combat mechanics, made it feel like choices you made in the game changed something, and mattered. I think some of them even did in a limited sense. I just dislike feeling that I'm just clicking to read/see more, instead of feeling like I have some sort of small say in what happens. Granted, most games ever made railroad you throughout, but the more interactivity you have with the game the easier it is to believe that you're actually contributing to the outcome. It may just be a personal problem I have, but I'm just really worried that developers will start going for the click to see/read route instead of trying to make what you do a part of the game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I feel like Gone Home really does make you a part of the game, though. You're presented with a space, and are asked to figure out its story. The narrative comes about as a result of how you investigate the house. It's not merely a story that is laid out in front of you. You have to engage in it for it to reveal itself.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nurge posted:

I'm going to give this one more try and note that you're probably right. I shouldn't have tried to latch onto the whole game thing. I'm going to try to explain why it rubs me the wrong way though, even though I fully acknowledge I may be wrong.
Did you read this? Did you watch this? Can you maybe try to understand why having this discussion is just a way for people like you to find ways to dismiss games like this from spaces like the SomethingAwful.com Games forum and other places where they have to be if we want our medium to grow and turn into something other than an industry focused on increasing the fidelity with which you can observe a man's head being blown apart by your favorite gun when you pull the trigger?

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Dr. Stab posted:

I feel like Gone Home really does make you a part of the game, though. You're presented with a space, and are asked to figure out its story. The narrative comes about as a result of how you investigate the house. It's not merely a story that is laid out in front of you. You have to engage in it for it to reveal itself.

Agreed. It's also why I think it's weird when people say you're "railroaded" by Gone Home. You could do everything in the "wrong" order or just stumble on the means to get the end of the game in the first 2 minutes and have a totally different (and likely unfulfilling) experience from someone who spent 3 hours finding everything they could. The basic story is always the same, but the way different players put it together (or don't put it together if they miss a bunch of stuff) and their interpretation of it can be very different. As has been said multiple times, the player is an integral part of game's narrative and it would not be the same in book form.

Nurge posted:

Back in the mid 90s I played games a bunch, and I enjoyed the interactivity and problem solving aspects a lot. I also liked Star Wars. So one day I find what was probably Rogue Squadron in the store with cool ships and stuff on the cover and I fondly remembered playing the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games a few years earlier. So I buy the game and go home to play it and find out that it's actually identical to the laserdisc arcade shooters of the 80s. You have no control over anything except where you point your cursor to shoot. Basically nothing you do affects the outcome of anything except in a strict pass/try again sense.

The game you're trying to remember is probably Rebel Assault: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=359qyiXskCE. It's pretty laughable to compare it to Gone Home.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Rita Repulsa posted:

Yknow the first thing I tried to do with safe combos was to plug in digits from birthdates, anniversary dates, and other numbers. Like in one of those movies where hero's trying to figure out their friend's password. I can't be the only one to have tried that.

I did this exact same thing. Whenever I found any four-number combination in Sam's room (and there were a lot what with all the magazines lying around), I tried to use it on the locker. I'm glad this game didn't rely on stupid adventure game logic like that.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you read this? Did you watch this? Can you maybe try to understand why having this discussion is just a way for people like you to find ways to dismiss games like this from spaces like the SomethingAwful.com Games forum and other places where they have to be if we want our medium to grow and turn into something other than an industry focused on increasing the fidelity with which you can observe a man's head being blown apart by your favorite gun when you pull the trigger?

You just ascribed motivations to me that don't exist, and completely ignored everything I typed. I'm not interested in having a yelling match, and you come off as incredibly hostile. If you have some actual reasons why my position of "It's cool to give players the illusion of being a part of driving the game forward." equates to being a literal Hitler, I suggest you bring them forward instead of trying to attack my character.

XenoCrab posted:

The game you're trying to remember is probably Rebel Assault. It's pretty laughable to compare it to Gone Home.

You're right, thanks. It would be laughable to make the comparison if this was about the quality of the product instead of the mechanics behind it. Gone home has a little more interactivity than Rebel Assault did, but not a whole lot.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nurge posted:

You just ascribed motivations to me that don't exist, and completely ignored everything I typed. I'm not interested in having a yelling match, and you come off as incredibly hostile. If you have some actual reasons why my position of "It's cool to give players the illusion of being a part of driving the game forward." equates to being a literal Hitler, I suggest you bring them forward instead of trying to attack my character.
Did you read this? Did you watch this? I think they both do a pretty good job of explaining why someone might take issue with what you've said here.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you read this? Did you watch this? I think they both do a pretty good job of explaining why someone might take issue with what you've said here.

I didn't read the twitter stuff because it's twitter, sorry. I did watch the video and they have good points I guess. I just can't see why anyone can label barely interactive anything as a game. I mean you can call reading a book a game, but most people won't accept that as fact. I'm going around in circles again and this is pointless, but I just can't get over that. I also don't see why a bunch of tweets or a youtube video from random people are supposed to be evidence of anything. Gone Home is a great something, but I'm not going to accept it is a game any more than I could accept that Rogue Squadron or watching a movie on TV was one. Maybe I don't have to? Maybe no one cares?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nurge posted:

I didn't read the twitter stuff because it's twitter, sorry. I did watch the video and they have good points I guess. I just can't see why anyone can label barely interactive anything as a game. I mean you can call reading a book a game, but most people won't accept that as fact. I'm going around in circles again and this is pointless, but I just can't get over that. I also don't see why a bunch of tweets or a youtube video from random people are supposed to be evidence of anything. Gone Home is a great something, but I'm not going to accept it is a game any more than I could accept that Rogue Squadron or watching a movie on TV was one. Maybe I don't have to? Maybe no one cares?
If the considerations in the video, particularly those from about 9:40 on, were not at all convincing, and if you refuse to read a short sequences of words "because it's twitter," then maybe we won't be able to get anywhere. Perhaps you could explain why you didn't find the last part of the video very convincing? To me, it offers a knock-down argument for refraining from the kind of line drawing you seem so desperate to undertake for reasons you can't even clearly articulate.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Nurge posted:

Why don't you try this experiment: take a gaming laptop to a cafe or something and play Gone Home on it for a few hours. Keep a running tally how many people ask "what game is that?" vs. "what non-game is that?" or something to that effect. Report back with the results.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If the considerations in the video, particularly those from about 9:40 on, were not at all convincing, and if you refuse to read a short sequences of words "because it's twitter," then maybe we won't be able to get anywhere. Perhaps you could explain why you didn't find the last part of the video very convincing? To me, it offers a knock-down argument for refraining from the kind of line drawing you seem so desperate to undertake for reasons you can't even clearly articulate.

I guess the problem is that I don't care about the "cultural debate", or "gamers" or any of that manufactured nonsense. I like having definitions for things in my life I can point at and vaguely have words for them. Gone home is a "book with graphics" in that case. I guess the main flaw in all this is that I actually came to this thread and started writing about it at all. I apologize for that and I shouldn't have, because I don't see why anyone else should even care about what I think. I'm going to just wrap this up here unless something else comes up, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gone Home is a game. A gay one.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nurge posted:

I guess the problem is that I don't care about the "cultural debate", or "gamers" or any of that manufactured nonsense. I like having definitions for things in my life I can point at and vaguely have words for them. Gone home is a "book with graphics" in that case. I guess the main flaw in all this is that I actually came to this thread and started writing about it at all. I apologize for that and I shouldn't have, because I don't see why anyone else should even care about what I think. I'm going to just wrap this up here unless something else comes up, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
If you don't care about the "cultural debate," then don't lend your voice and your arguments and your definitions to the side of the debate that's trying to shout games from Gone Home out of the canon into a dark, neglected place where gamers will never have to deal with them. There was a part of the video where he specifically addresses the whole "who cares what label we use for this?" thing which appears to have gone in and out of your head without having made any impact. You're a child soldier fighting a culture war without any understanding of what you're saying or what it means in the larger context of people posting on the Steam forums that Gone Home shouldn't be sold on Steam or people sending hate mail to Twine game authors for making "non-games." You don't need to help reinforce that cycle of exclusion and hate and barrier creation. If this is your own personal definition for keeping things tidy in your carefully regimented head, then leave your opinions in there when they belong instead of adding one more voice to the chorus of people who want Gone Home and its ilk out of "gaming" forums where it currently resides.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Nurge posted:

The problem with not caring about the cultural debate is that this exact debate had already been going on for a long time. There were Twitter wars and blog posts and youtube discussions about this very topic for months, and then the exact same conversation started happening again in this thread. The conversation that we'd already had. You know? It'd be like me walking into the office watercooler tomorrow and saying "Hey, you guys hear about this Obamacare stuff? What's the deal with that?". There's a wealth of people on both sides of the discussion. Videos, twitter posts, pages upon pages of conversation. It's not a manufactured debate, it's all right there.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Crappy Jack posted:

The problem with not caring about the cultural debate is that this exact debate had already been going on for a long time. There were Twitter wars and blog posts and youtube discussions about this very topic for months, and then the exact same conversation started happening again in this thread. The conversation that we'd already had. You know? It'd be like me walking into the office watercooler tomorrow and saying "Hey, you guys hear about this Obamacare stuff? What's the deal with that?". There's a wealth of people on both sides of the discussion. Videos, twitter posts, pages upon pages of conversation. It's not a manufactured debate, it's all right there.
It's like you walking over to the watercooler, saying "Obamacare is socialism and it's evil," and when people call you out on it you say "well, I just meant that in my head, I need definitions for Obamacare, so I called it 'socialism' and 'evil,' and if you don't like those terms because of some weird culture war or whatever that's not my problem. I guess my mistake was saying all this stuff at the water cooler. I'm sorry if I offended anyone."

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's like you walking over to the watercooler, saying "Obamacare is socialism and it's evil," and when people call you out on it you say "well, I just meant that in my head, I need definitions for Obamacare, so I called it 'socialism' and 'evil,' and if you don't like those terms because of some weird culture war or whatever that's not my problem. I guess my mistake was saying all this stuff at the water cooler. I'm sorry if I offended anyone."

Except instead of obamacare it's about some TV show I've never even heard of before yesterday, because I sure as hell wasn't aware of any such thing going on. Also, because it matters about as much as someone's opinions about a TV show.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

"Furthermore, I'm not interested in hearing anything about economics or social classes or any of that manufactured stuff. I just really like being able to put things in tidy categories and not have to think about it beyond a binary yes/no, good/bad system."

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

"Furthermore, I'm not interested in hearing anything about economics or social classes or any of that manufactured stuff. I just really like being able to put things in tidy categories and not have to think about it beyond a binary yes/no, good/bad system."

"I like to think that marginalization of something something gaming is extremely important and literally comparable to real world health care policies instead of ridiculous silly poo poo and get super angry about it."

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Nurge posted:

Do you think someone who posts on book forums would actually consider Gone Home to be a "book"? Do you really think that, given the accepted cultural understanding of what a book is, Gone Home is actually CLOSER to that than to what a "video game" is? If someone said, "I want to read a book," and you gave them Gone Home, you would look like you were just deliberately trolling them. It wouldn't be helpful to anyone. At the VERY least, you'd have to say something like "Well, this isn't a book, obviously, but I think someone who likes reading the kinds of books you like might enjoy it."

Is a single-player Call of Duty campaign a "game"? It doesn't have any meaningful choice, your actions ultimately amount to nothing because everything is prescribed, you can't fail because the game gives you infinite chances to get it right; it's just a matter of clicking the reticle on the right guys in the right order. It's hardly a test of skill, especially on the easy difficulty levels, because there is no meaningful consequence for failure, and you aren't competing against anyone. As far as I'm concerned it's less player-oriented than Gone Home is; Gone Home allows the player to find content in almost any order, and pace the game accordingly.

Would you bother making this same argument with respect to Call of Duty? What is the substantial difference between the "gaminess" of the two? Is it a matter of Call of Duty testing reflexes, which many things that are definitely games do not do? Or maybe you would in fact categorize both Call of Duty and Gone Home as "non-games", in which case your definition of "game" might be too personal and specific to have meaningful application to most people. And that kind of defeats the purpose of your wanting everyone to have agreed definitions for things.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Chris Remo posted:

Would you bother making this same argument with respect to Call of Duty? What is the substantial difference between the "gaminess" of the two? Is it a matter of Call of Duty testing reflexes, which many things that are definitely games do not do? Or maybe you would in fact categorize both Call of Duty and Gone Home as "non-games", in which case your definition of "game" might be too personal and specific to have meaningful application to most people. And that kind of defeats the purpose of your wanting everyone to have agreed definitions for things.

You're right. I've never actually played call of duty but I'm just going to go by some other fps games here. I mean I could give my definition of what a game is, but you can just go look it up in a dictionary because they're about the same. The key is that a game is something where you do things to make things happen. However, that's just my personal view and complaining that Going Home doesn't fit that here was obviously a huge mistake.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Nurge posted:

"I like to think that marginalization of something something gaming is extremely important and literally comparable to real world health care policies instead of ridiculous silly poo poo and get super angry about it."

No, seriously, engage with this discussion. Don't try to Fonz your way out by being too cool to talk about it, you came in here with opinions to discuss and that's great. But you're arguing dishonestly, the point that's trying to be made here is that you're coming in to a conversation that already exists and are trying to have the conversation bend to you, and when people are talking about your points, your response is pretty much "Hey, I don't care about facts or research, I just wanted validation". Or at least that's the way it's coming across. This is the Discussion forum for Games. It's where we have discussions about games. That's what we're doing.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

No, seriously, engage with this discussion. Don't try to Fonz your way out by being too cool to talk about it, you came in here with opinions to discuss and that's great. But you're arguing dishonestly, the point that's trying to be made here is that you're coming in to a conversation that already exists and are trying to have the conversation bend to you, and when people are talking about your points, your response is pretty much "Hey, I don't care about facts or research, I just wanted validation". Or at least that's the way it's coming across. This is the Discussion forum for Games. It's where we have discussions about games. That's what we're doing.

I came here to discuss it without knowledge that I was walking into the middle of a class war where I'd get dogpiled instantly for having an opinion. I mean you can understand that someone might not know that this is some sort of huge internet anger thing that's going on, right? I'm regretting posting about it. I did respond to your "quote", but only because I don't like simplifying things into fake quotes to make a point or getting yelled at for not being aware of every gamewars youtube channel or twitter account about marginalization of interactive fiction or something similar that I don't give a rat's rear end about.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nurge posted:

You're right. I've never actually played call of duty but I'm just going to go by some other fps games here. I mean I could give my definition of what a game is, but you can just go look it up in a dictionary because they're about the same. The key is that a game is something where you do things to make things happen. However, that's just my personal view and complaining that Going Home doesn't fit that here was obviously a huge mistake.

Well you're objectively wrong using that definition then, because Gone Home is a game where you can do things and make things happen. You can't kill people or get xp though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nurge posted:

I came here to discuss it without knowledge that I was walking into the middle of a class war where I'd get dogpiled instantly for having an opinion. I mean you can understand that someone might not know that this is some sort of huge internet anger thing that's going on, right? I'm regretting posting about it. I did respond to your "quote", but only because I don't like simplifying things into fake quotes to make a point or getting yelled at for not being aware of every gamewars youtube channel or twitter account about marginalization of interactive fiction or something similar that I don't give a rat's rear end about.
"When I contribute to the lovely side of a culture war unknowingly, I'd prefer it if people don't link me to stuff that explains why I ought not to be saying the things I say. Why can't people let me make my ignorant comments in peace? All I did was wander into a thread full of people who've been dealing with this poo poo since the game came out and drop my big old knowledge deuce on their heads so that they'd know this isn't a game. It's not my fault I happened to be completely ignorant of everything the thread has been talking about up to this point and that I've controverted arguments found in links that have been posted multiple times in this thread already. I'm innocent of everything! Now please, leave me and my obviously correct dictionary definition in peace instead of pointing out how on my lights Call of Duty might not be a game. I'm the victim here. Gone Home isn't a game. Peace out."

• Locked thread