Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
He's really pulling out all the stops when it comes to guests here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I didn't catch the show live last night, but re: Todd Barry;

I like Todd Barry as a comedian, but I hate him as a guest on the Show because he literally only has one joke, and that joke is to relentlessly plug his own poo poo. It just gets old. Hopefully he ceded the floor a bit and just relaxed and was funny given that the show is literally coming to an end, because if not, I'm going to be annoyed that he was allowed to waste half an hour or whatever out of the final 9 hours of the Show we'll ever get.

In other news, here's a short video clip of Tom mixing the sound collage live on air: http://instagram.com/p/hfGqiwjm-Y/ No prerecorded poo poo here!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^Todd was on the phone for like five minutes, don't worry. (It wasn't nearly enough of him.)

First Best Show I actually listened to live. Missed the first song or two, but tuned in during Stairway, hot drat. He's closing out the Zeppelin streak in style.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

I like Todd Barry as a comedian, but I hate him as a guest on the Show because he literally only has one joke, and that joke is to relentlessly plug his own poo poo. It just gets old. Hopefully he ceded the floor a bit and just relaxed and was funny given that the show is literally coming to an end, because if not, I'm going to be annoyed that he was allowed to waste half an hour or whatever out of the final 9 hours of the Show we'll ever get.

He is still not as bad as Jim Gaffigan. The dude literally has never contributed anything to the Best Show outside of calling in and being unfunny and advertising his poo poo.

In other news, what the gently caress happened to Ted Leo? He hasn't been on or even been mentioned by Tom in years and he used to be such a big part of the show.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Years? It's been 11 months (he was at the 4loko Christmas party last year.)

Ted has been touring and (I think) recording this year, so it's not that strange.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Years? It's been 11 months (he was at the 4loko Christmas party last year.)

Ted has been touring and (I think) recording this year, so it's not that strange.

4 loko Christmas party was 3 years ago.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
There was another 4Loko Christmas party last year and Ted Leo was there (according to the archives, at least :)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
There was a 2012 party and ted led a singalong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh. My bad.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So during a Twitter Q and A this weekend Tom kind of hinted at a possible tour of some sort and that would be amazing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Ted Leo is back!

Mystery solved.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
A wonderful person recorded Ted Leo and Aimee Mann's tribute song from last night.

https://soundcloud.com/degrell/the-both-untitled-best-show

It's... It's really happening, isn't it? :smith:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

CaptainPsyko posted:

A wonderful person recorded Ted Leo and Aimee Mann's tribute song from last night.

https://soundcloud.com/degrell/the-both-untitled-best-show

It's... It's really happening, isn't it? :smith:
That was ridiculously sweet.

I hope next week is just a 3-hour radio play with Tom and all the Newbridge characters trying to find Darren's bomb.

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

Tributes are rolling in:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashv...ent?oid=3992563

http://www.theawl.com/2013/12/goodbye-to-the-best-show-on-wfmu

I'm gonna miss this show. Any wild speculation on what Tom's gonna be up to next? I'm imagining he starts a subscription show similar to Best Show but not quite the same thing. Maybe a... podcast?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that he is involved in something TV related that got picked up or just got genuinely tired of doing the best show for no pay every week . No way in hell he's gonna bust out a podcast.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

My not-so-wild guess is that he's working with Gethard on his pilot and will stick around as a writer if that show gets picked up next year.

It's all moot anyway because he'll die a fiery death next week. Goodbye Newbridge. :smith:

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm not quite ready to call Newbridge dead yet. Not sure what format it'll take but apparently Newbridge will never die.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Have been loving all these last few episodes, sending the show off in fine fashion.

Anyone got any tips for listening to the episodes from pre-2009? They're all .rm files, which all kind of play in VLC but can't really be skipped through. I need to relisten to Julie From Cincinnati's first call!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I've used Real Alternative since .rm files were actually a thing. Works great.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Fogelnest and Daniel Ralston just did a really nice little Best Show retrospective.

Far too short to be anything resembling a comprehensive best of, but it covered a few of my favorite high notes and makes for a fun listen. It includes Tom's now definitive definition of Zappa, as 'getting a prank phone call while listening to a warped/skipping jazz fusion record.'

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm still behind a couple of episodes.

New tee:

Roger Troutman
Jan 11, 2007

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
Scharpling had a consultant credit on the last episode of "Eagleheart" that I saw.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So in an attempt to brighten what might be a bit of a sad day for some of us, here's an archive of some of the older shows. It's not mine, but I don't think it's supposed to be private or secret. A lot of the pre-2006 shows are missing, but I finally figured out a reasonably easy & fast way to convert the Real Player streams to mp3 using Net Transport and VLC. If anyone has a place to host them I can upload as I go along or we could divide the labor. I'm hoping there's an official archive in the works (maybe a final WFMU premium?) but this will do for now.

Also, tonight will be the first show I've ever listened to live.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 17, 2013

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Oh poo poo i JUST found out about this. Just barely in time to listen to the final show tonight, but still

gently caress

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Roosevelt posted:

Oh poo poo i JUST found out about this. Just barely in time to listen to the final show tonight, but still

gently caress

You got 1500 hours to listen to! Listen to Fogelnest's tribute show a couple posts up, if only for the Sleaziest Rocker part.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Here's a little song that you can listen to to get EXCITED for tonight:

https://soundcloud.com/adam-blau/born-to-run-vs-rock-and-roll

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The Bunk posted:

Also, tonight will be the first show I've ever listened to live.
Yup, sitting here at three in the morning waiting for Newbridge to blow up. :(

Spiral Architect
Jun 26, 2004

IDK if any of you were at the meet-up on Saturday, but it was a spectacular time. Tom, Terre and Mike all showed up, and they were the absolute sweetest!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I just reread the OP of this thread.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

At least once every show Tom says he's done, that this is the last show. Stay calm: he's only kidding.

:smith:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Has anyone had a chance to listen to the Stroszek commentary yet?

I'm holding out until I can find a copy of the film to watch it with.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Antique Phonograph Music Program is over. The skipping will soon lead into Scharpling for the last time.

I'm ready

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Weembles posted:

I'm holding out until I can find a copy of the film to watch it with.
It's on Youtube. Like 90% of Herzog's other stuff.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Is the webstream not working for anyone else? The main WFMU page half loads and the webplayer doesn't work at the moment. I guess they're getting hammered from traffic?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Is the webstream not working for anyone else? The main WFMU page half loads and the webplayer doesn't work at the moment. I guess they're getting hammered from traffic?

I have it working on Itunes' internet radio section (under eclectic).

Also I just saw this on the Best Shows' forum:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Seltzer posted:

It took me a few reloads to get it working. The app works like a treat if you have a device for that as well.

These opening song selections are already a punch in the gut... But impeccably chosen, as always.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I'm going to try joining the chat for the first time ever. I'm so bummed out by this. This music, especially.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Anyone having issues, Hatch is streaming his radio here http://www.ustream.tv/channel/best-show-stream

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Alternate link if anyone is still having issues with the stream:

http://t.co/lvgpukYXQY

Edit: beaten

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Is there a mirror for a live stream of WFMU? Can't get anything to load.

edit: Awesome, thanks!

Wait is that ustream link working? I don't hear anything. Just blank screen after the ad plays.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Speaking of stuff not working, Scharpling's headphones don't work