Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You know what I love? When I've been working on a problem for 2 whole days, my boss calls me today because the department head was complaining, even tho the doctor was in the loop but still complained to him, so I had to get the PC picked up, now I was out on another "HEY WE NEED THIS SPECIAL PC SET UP BY 1400!!!!" call from high up, so my coworkers had to take that final look at those PCs that had a really retarded error I don'Ät even wanna get into. Then they call me to tell me "Yo, we figured it out! In like 5 minutes!" So I asked them what they did, and their reply? "We'll tell you tomnorrow". Nice, so you probably came up with a very simple solution that might or might not have fixed the problem (which occured based on location, so who knows if its fixed) and want to be smug about it. Ok. Fine. But you want to not tell me what you did for a day jsut so you can be even more smug in my face? gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

evol262 posted:

I was equating the idea that a "barrel-aged imperial stout with ABV north of 10%" is any more slow or calming than a 6% ABV lager. "Barrel-aged imperial stout/porter" is just the stereotypical beer snob answer, hence linking to a study which does nothing more than show that beer snobs prefer very alcoholic, powerful beers. Not the implication that you objectively think it's better.
Condescension among IT people, on my computer subforum?!

That extra 4% add's up after 2-beers.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

UK based unfortunately so no guns, otherwise I'd own ALL THE GUNS. I'll need to start exercising more. Just 6 more days to go until YOTJ!

US-based. All the guns. Also, video games and Ingress.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AlexDeGruven posted:

I was stating my own preference, as was asked of us in the thread. I'm not sure how you're finding this so difficult to grasp. My preference for high-ABV barrel-aged beers has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else's preference.

I could have easily said 'beer', which would have been a perfectly acceptable answer, but I chose to elaborate and be specific about the type of beer I prefer and why I prefer it over just a regular 6% lager.

At no point did I say "This is objectively the best beer to drink".

evol262 posted:

Not the implication that you objectively think it's better.

This isn't a personal judgement on your taste, or trying to say that you're recommending other people drink it over lagers, and I explicitly clarified that. This is nothing personal about you.

People who drink a lot of beer get snobbier about it, myself included, and beer snobs statistically rate higher ABV, darker beers better; yourself included, apparently.

I linked the study because I like to be aware of my biases, and sometimes others do as well. The study is interesting. I don't want to get into some personal bitchfit about it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So this thread is...alcohol-chat or something now? I guess I can close it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah this was probably the wrong thread to ask how to relax after work. The working in IT thread would have been more appropriate.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sounds like everyone needs to just sit back, relax, have a beer. Any kind of beer! Because beer is good.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We're just in the alcohol part of the thread cycle, soon we're back to bitching about printers or something.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Jesus christ just let it go. He likes high strength beers, you posted a link implying high strength beer drinkers are snobs. It doesn't take a doctorate in psychology to see that might make someone react defensively.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I'm curious, how does everyone wind down after a really stressful day? I'm losing a lot of sleep at the moment over various calls, having trouble switching off. Apart from drinking!
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/18/confessions_of_a_pot_addict/

fivre posted:

A lot of people in my department are very into shooting. My alma mater's network admin famously kept a shotgun in his trunk, presumably in case he ever finally snapped and uh, needed it.

A call came in:
:argh: hey a tech is scheduled to come onsite where the gently caress are they I leave the office at 3:00.
:v: I see the tech's scheduled to arrive at 1:00, is it 1:30 your time?
:argh: yes.
:v: alright, let me call and find where he's at.
--I call the onsite team--
:v: sir, I show the tech is going to an address in Chicago, are you not in Chicago?
:argh: yes, I'm in Chicago.
:v: sir, it's currently 11:30 in Chicago.
:argh: well I sure hope the tech arrives at 1:00!
We recently were declared (with no notice, checking with employees, or any precedent which might require it,) as a "weapon-free campus" which means nobody can have guns or knives anywhere on the property - up to and including nothing in your vehicle, so people are supposed to loving call 911 or something if they see a hunting rifle in somebody's pickup in the parking lot...

I like hunting and fishing (especially pheasant,) and it's not unlikely that I'd potentially have a .410 or 20 gauge in my car maybe in a visible rack so I asked about it, and was told I'd need to fill out a bunch of paperwork and submit it to a review board to get permission to leave something that belongs to me, in my car.

Of course the other day a higher-up's husband came in sporting a long grey ponytail, black jeans shirt and boots, biker tats, and a holstered pistol, and he wandered around the building with her for a couple hours with nobody mentioning it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 4, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Actually the paper posited that snobs prefer high-strength beer, not that high-strength beer drinkers are snobs. :eng101:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Jeoh posted:

We're just in the alcohol part of the thread cycle, soon we're back to bitching about printers or something.

If you feed your printers daily they won't give you problems:

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Asmodai_00 posted:

If you feed your printers daily they won't give you problems:

Story behind this?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Loose Ifer posted:

Story behind this?

Someone misunderstood "copy pasta"! :haw:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd put a lot worse than pasta in those cheap HPs.

gently caress those things.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I'm curious, how does everyone wind down after a really stressful day? I'm losing a lot of sleep at the moment over various calls, having trouble switching off. Apart from drinking!

I recommend you learn to play an instrument. And learn the proper theory behind music as well, it'll make you better (I am a giant music elitist).

Learning to play an instrument will make you a more interesting person and it's a good way to meet people. Plus it feels pretty good to be able to dig into an instrument and go nuts after an awful day at work. I play bass when I want to vent my frustrations. Studying the theory helps me keep my mind off technology.

This is all mostly because I stopped drinking when alone.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

I recommend you learn to play an instrument. And learn the proper theory behind music as well, it'll make you better (I am a giant music elitist).

Learning to play an instrument will make you a more interesting person and it's a good way to meet people. Plus it feels pretty good to be able to dig into an instrument and go nuts after an awful day at work. I play bass when I want to vent my frustrations. Studying the theory helps me keep my mind off technology.

This is all mostly because I stopped drinking when alone.

I've got a baritone ukulele i've been messing around on for about 6 months now. Any good places to get started? I need to stop drinking alone after work as well.

*edit for content

A Ticket Came In Today...

:aaa: - User
:clint: - Me

:aaa: Hey i can't log into this computer in the conference room and we have a big meeting in here in 5 minutes and everyone is sitting here waiting for me to log in and i keep getting this error that says there no logon servers availble
:clint: Can you check if there's network connectivity?
:aaa: I don't know what that is, come over and fix it 'click'.\
:clint: *walks to conference room* (It's actually an office with 6 people crammed into it with only one network jack)

As i enter the room, i can already see someone has removed the cat5 from the PC and plugged it in their laptop.

:clint: So you know that laptops have wireless so they don't need to be plugged in right?
:aaa: Yeah but this is faster!!!
:clint: Well that needs to be plugged into the desktop computer for it to get a network connection
:aaa: YOU JUST TOLD ME THEY ALL HAVE WIRELESS ENABLED LOL DO YOU EVEN KNOW YOUR JOB

I just shrugged and said 'guess not, you go ahead' and walked out. They're still calling my desk but i'm too busy writing this, and an email to HR. We'll see if our HR department has any balls or not.

Loose Ifer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 4, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Loose Ifer posted:

I've got a baritone ukulele i've been messing around on for about 6 months now. Any good places to get started? I need to stop drinking alone after work as well.

There's a ukulele thread in Ask/Tell, and I think there's a generic "learning about playing instruments" thread also.

Or maybe it's the same thread. I dunno. I'm not a ukulele guy.

But that's where I'd go to ask if I were!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Loose Ifer posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=104

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2690439

(I don't want to start a derail)

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, i found them, my bad, i added content to my question. Thanks for the responses!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Loose Ifer posted:

We'll see if our HR department has any balls or not.

Is that even possible?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

D34THROW posted:

Is that even possible?

Oh they have plenty. No other department could say "We advocate for the employees to management" and then turn around and completely gently caress the employees over when management says go.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oh they have plenty. No other department could say "We advocate for the employees to management" and then turn around and completely gently caress the employees over when management says go.

This is how it usually goes, but i keep HR's windows 8.1 laptops running, and am the only one here who knows how to use it pretty much, so i guess if they felt like burning bridges....oh who am i kidding i'm gonna get written up.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in for a client that i don't normally support.

It came in 4 parts, add a printer for a user, add a new user account, modify and existing account and educate the client on how to change passwords. One of the other guys added the pritner before I had a chance to look at the issue, saves me the most annoying part of the ticket. I log into the server, its SBS 2003. I launch the server console, "cannot find LaunchConsole.exe". I check the path,
The SBS folder in program files exists but is empty.

gently caress

I am going to escalate, but I am thinking this is coming back to me.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Two choice quotes from my new job that made me :psyduck::

"The password for the service account has been documented in the Outlook Public Folders where the other service account passwords are stored."

"The VM Host for [servername] is running Virtual Server 2005 R2 and is accessible from"

I think I may have made a mistake in accepting this position.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had no idea anyone actually used Virtual Server

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Caged posted:

I had no idea anyone actually used Virtual Server

Note: This is production.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least the service account details are stored in a location well known for its stability and tendency to always be available, you know, so when the poo poo hits the fan you can get at the passwords.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

"My documents keep disappearing and then reappearing! I'll look at the folder and they'll all be there. Then I check five minutes later and half of them will be gone! I'm not saving anything on the network anymore! This is ridiculous!"

Hurray for .doc files not showing up in Word's Save As... dialog box.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Urit posted:

"The password for the service account has been documented in the Outlook Public Folders where the other service account passwords are stored."

This will be so much fun when you get audited.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so i submitted the sbs console missing ticket, manually added users in AD and basically did what the console scripts would do then contacted the user. Walking the user through changing a password and they got this error "Your password must be 0 characters long and have not been used in the last 0 days." My thinking is that something broke the password policy and god knows what else as well. I called the helpdesk manager and told him the ticket i submitted needs to be escalated as users cannot change passwords and there are probably other effects that we have no seen yet. His response was "We'll need you to remote into the computer as an admin and try changing the passwords a few times, trying varying lengths and complexities until we find one that works"

:cripes:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when you email back in two hours saying "I've spent two hours trying about a thousand different passwords and so far none of them have worked. How long do you want me to continue this?" While the entire time you're watching Netflix.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like someone/something has hosed with the Default Domain Policy or enforced something stupid in its place.

And that ^

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
When I got my new job, my week 1 change request to install KeepAss on my machine got denied because I'm apparently the only one with this problem. Everyone else stores their passwords either in a word file or in an email in their drafts folder so no reason for me to feel like a special snowflake. And this is for a health insurance company...

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Loose Ifer posted:

This is how it usually goes, but i keep HR's windows 8.1 laptops running, and am the only one here who knows how to use it pretty much, so i guess if they felt like burning bridges....oh who am i kidding i'm gonna get written up.

To be fair I'd write you up for that too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I would legitimately struggle to function in a company where I couldn't do whatever the gently caress to my PC.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

To be fair I'd write you up for that too.

Because i don't like getting talked to like a child by a someone who doesn't understand the technology?

I mean if that's how you get your paycheck, cool dude.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think Loose Ifer did anything wrong at all, he didn't go in all 'OH MY GOD YOU DUMB gently caress YOU UNPLUGGED THE NETWORK JESUS', and then when someone talked down to him he didn't lose his poo poo but calmly walked away.

Don't see the problem.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Loose Ifer posted:

Because i don't like getting talked to like a child by a someone who doesn't understand the technology?

I mean if that's how you get your paycheck, cool dude.

I agree with what you did. If those were his exact words, debasing you infront of others is nothing if it's not creating a hostile work environment. Report that everywhere and turn the screws as hard and constantly as you can until correction goes where it needs to go. In no way should you be written up for walking out of a hostile situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'd have fixed the problem, left, then bitched to HR. If I refused to do work for idiots with superiority complexes I would never be able to engage with a corporate CEO again.

EDIT: And if he unplugged it again, I can't help self sabotage.

• Locked thread