Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Biggest problem is that it's on Sunday at rear end stupid 'o' clock in the morning, but I'm heavily leaning towards gently caress yes.

Think of it as making up for what you missed in childhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Or making up for 5:30am outdoor swim practices during the summer. I can't begin to describe the horror of waking up at 4:30 to get into a cold rear end pool for three hours every morning.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

Hey I didn't know you were in the Bay Area!

Do you play on any of the women's travel teams around here/are you going to the tournament this weekend?

I haven't played hockey in like a month and a half it's killing me. hahahah 4th year sucks :(

Sadly no. I'm both bad at hockey and a shy goon, so I never hooked up with a casual tournament team and I can't see trying out for the Lady Sharks or Black Stars. I've only just started to play in the NCWHL after 5?6? years away so that may eventually change.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Or making up for 5:30am outdoor swim practices during the summer. I can't begin to describe the horror of waking up at 4:30 to get into a cold rear end pool for three hours every morning.

One year I was playing for a new club in Ontario California, except the rink wasnt finished yet, the first half of the season all of our practices and home games were played up in Lake Arrowhead, an hour and a half away up in the mountains.

6:30 practices in the mountains in an open air rink? 8:30pm weeknight practices in the mountains? So cold.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

At least you weren't in a speedo.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

YeehawMcKickass posted:

At least you weren't in a speedo.

Says who?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

On a hockey note, the stick and puck I went to today was pretty busy but drat was it fun.

At one point during the session I ended up in the middle of a four kid scrum for a puck. The group was moving out of the neutral zone while I was moving along a blue line just trying to not suck at skating with the puck. Two of the kids went behind me, one of them swung wide in front of me. The last kid ended up driving his cage into my left elbow (both hands on stick, stick on ground), rebounding off of me, and landed flat on the ice. Dude was ok when I went back to check on him, he just seemed a bit surprised that running into a guy who's like 6'5" or so on skates would cause him to bounce back like that.

No harm, no foul, and I spent a good five minutes later on feeding the group for one timers and goal defense scrambles.

Hockey is awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey is a great demonstration of inertia.. I'm no lightweight at 220, but I bounce off 300 pound dudes like I'm made out of rubber.

I have to be real careful when girls are on the ice too, it seems like I barely tap them and they go flying. Fortunately most of them are significantly faster than me so we rarely get into scrums or bump into each other.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Happy Thanksgiving, y'all. Skated this morning for an hour and change at a pick up game (one on each bench, two goalies - gently caress me tired) and have a game tomorrow morning at 6:00am. Makes the feast feel justified.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Sadly no. I'm both bad at hockey and a shy goon, so I never hooked up with a casual tournament team and I can't see trying out for the Lady Sharks or Black Stars. I've only just started to play in the NCWHL after 5?6? years away so that may eventually change.

I wouldn't play on the Black Stars C team and I'm actually good enough to so I don't blame you there. They are WAY too much of tryhards for me. The lower teams and the Lady Sharks are all pretty cool girls though, I've played with a lot of them at different times.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Are you on the tourney team this weekend? I'll be going to watch.

Yes your gf told Jill she'd give me a ride there and she has not called me yet!! I'm captaining the team so one wrong move and you're kicked out from your doorman position on the bench!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We're supposed to give you a ride or Jill?

If it's us you may want to hit B up on Facebook...

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

I wouldn't play on the Black Stars C team and I'm actually good enough to so I don't blame you there. They are WAY too much of tryhards for me. The lower teams and the Lady Sharks are all pretty cool girls though, I've played with a lot of them at different times.

Yeah, I've played with a couple of ladies on the Black Stars rec team and they were all very cool. I think I would've been into it a couple of years ago, but at this point I'm not as durable as I used to be so it feels like I'd just be spending money to play hurt a lot.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

got an S7 85 flex/zetterberg on hockey monkey for $50. i feel pretty good about that. haven't bought a new stick in a couple years at least.

i've played around with other people who have similar cheaply priced easton sticks and they're a bit heavy but the price is right. i want an 85 flex, all mine are 100 and there is no point because i'm not taking clappers from the point or anything.

Gio fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 30, 2013

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Hockey is a great demonstration of inertia.. I'm no lightweight at 220, but I bounce off 300 pound dudes like I'm made out of rubber.

Heh, yeah it's easy to forget. I tried challenging a loose puck along the boards against a 270 pound guy. Bounced off him like a tennis ball.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
After loving mission skates forever, I just threw up my hands in disgust and went and purchased a pair of Bauer XR Premier's with all the black friday/cyber monday deals going on. Context: I purchased a pair of T9's a little more than a year ago. Sunday, I went to stop and rolled my ankle because, I thought, the chassis was loose (not cuz I'm a baddie.) One of the rivets had some slide to it, but the chassis was otherwise still very much attached to the boot. The problem was that the boot was actually pulling away from itself on the bottom, that's what gave the extra "play" when stopping. I'll probably try to glue or epoxy it down, but I figure it's only a matter of time before the boot itself fails. When my Bauer's come in I figure I'll relegate my Mission's to reffing duty, but has this happened to anyone else before?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I remember reading about someone having the foot bed separating from the boot but I don't remember where. So uh I guess I'm not much help. :downs:

The blade holder on one of my skates is starting to squeak pretty bad when I put weight on it. With the skate off I can't find any evidence of things getting lose.. the blade is nice and tight and the rivets seem to be holding up. But as soon as I start walking around it's like I'm trying to sneak down the stairs in a 200 year old house.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

Heh, yeah it's easy to forget. I tried challenging a loose puck along the boards against a 270 pound guy. Bounced off him like a tennis ball.

I'm 5 9 175 and while I can't exactly out muscle bigger players I'm pretty damned hard to knock down because I have exceptional balance and a low center of gravity.

Being a smaller player doesn't have to be a disadvantage. If you're a good skater you can go a long way not just with speed but with that low center of gravity and good balance. Guys like Crosby and Zetterberg are undersized by NHL standards but they're such good skaters and have such exceptional balance that they still dominate corner play. And for beer leaguers like us it should be even easier as undersized dudes to do well because the average beer leaguer is not going to be a giant (in height at least :v:).

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

xzzy posted:

I remember reading about someone having the foot bed separating from the boot but I don't remember where. So uh I guess I'm not much help. :downs:

The blade holder on one of my skates is starting to squeak pretty bad when I put weight on it. With the skate off I can't find any evidence of things getting lose.. the blade is nice and tight and the rivets seem to be holding up. But as soon as I start walking around it's like I'm trying to sneak down the stairs in a 200 year old house.

That is what happened/is happening to my skates. I don't really think there is a good way to fix it, so I just opted to buy new skates since mine were super old anyway. My new ones just showed up from hockeymonkey yesterday, and they are amazing. They are so much nicer than the ones I am used to (and cost about four times more...) Have to go get them sharpened and baked onto my big dumb feet so I can go play stickpuck Thursday night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well my skates aren't even three years old yet, so if squeaky holders is a normal sign of wear then I guess I won't be buying Easton skates anymore.

It doesn't seem to effect my skating at all, it just kind of makes me worry if the thing is going to rip lose in the middle of a tight turn.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

xzzy posted:

Well my skates aren't even three years old yet, so if squeaky holders is a normal sign of wear then I guess I won't be buying Easton skates anymore.

It doesn't seem to effect my skating at all, it just kind of makes me worry if the thing is going to rip lose in the middle of a tight turn.

I was talking about the first part of your post in regards to the foot bed separating from the boot, actually. My skates were also squeaky, though that was unrelated as far as I know. Mine had been squeaky for the past three years or so, and the skates were around six years old.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

cenzo posted:

After loving mission skates forever, I just threw up my hands in disgust and went and purchased a pair of Bauer XR Premier's with all the black friday/cyber monday deals going on. Context: I purchased a pair of T9's a little more than a year ago. Sunday, I went to stop and rolled my ankle because, I thought, the chassis was loose (not cuz I'm a baddie.) One of the rivets had some slide to it, but the chassis was otherwise still very much attached to the boot. The problem was that the boot was actually pulling away from itself on the bottom, that's what gave the extra "play" when stopping. I'll probably try to glue or epoxy it down, but I figure it's only a matter of time before the boot itself fails. When my Bauer's come in I figure I'll relegate my Mission's to reffing duty, but has this happened to anyone else before?

I just replaced my T9's with some RPDs because I had a split in the carbon fiber from side to side where the rear rivets attached the chassis to the boot. With some force I can wiggle the chassis side to side about half an inch. I've played maybe 4 games with them like this, but I can feel it squirming under me when I pivot/stop. I have cracked chassis before as well they split right above the rear wheel. I went through a set of the old school HiLo's playing probably 3/4 times a week outside. Took about a year and a half. The T9's lasted about a year and a quarter.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I've cracked the chassis on my outdoor skates but they don't have the carbon fiber footbed. I love my Mission skates. I've been using my T7s for a little over a year now and they seem to be holding up fine but then again I'm 6' 150.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Got new gloves, Eagle Talon 60 in black. It's Eagle's anatomical fit line. I've worn Eagle's traditional wide-cuffed gloves for the last 15 years but having more of a form fitting glove intrigued me.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Easton leads the industry in squeaky/rattley holder design. They have years of practice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried on the different glove fits that Bauer makes and didn't like any of them.. they put pressure in weird spots.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

shyduck posted:

Got new gloves, Eagle Talon 60 in black. It's Eagle's anatomical fit line. I've worn Eagle's traditional wide-cuffed gloves for the last 15 years but having more of a form fitting glove intrigued me.

Those are nice gloves. I wore Eagles for many years before my last purchase of Warrior gloves.

Had an interesting night of refereeing last night. Only 3 penalty calls through 2 periods which were hooking and tripping calls. Then 3rd period a guy mistakenly thought a guy hip checked him. In reality the guy was reaching for a puck and this guy jumped and hit the guy's rear end as he was reaching. He got mad I didn't call anything and decided to scream at me before charging the guy in the corner. The guy partially avoided it but he was thrown out for the body check (adult safe hockey league). As a result his brother on the team decided to scream at me from the bench for quite a while. I gave him a straight 10 once the insults became pretty personal and had gone on for more than long enough. He decided to continue on the way to the box, even skating backwards so he could get right in my face. He was given a second 10 which is an automatic suspension. The goalie also decided to let me have it after the game and wouldn't leave the ice so he got a 10 as well. Also a full blown fight as a result of a cross check with 20 seconds left in the game. All in all 4 suspensions, 6 games total and a booklet of write ups for my partner and I.

AP Knight
Nov 28, 2006

Intentionally Left Blank.
We lost our first game last week 6-1. I managed to get an assist but losing doesn't feel very good so to raise my spirits I bought my first composite stick over the weekend. I was determined to have a better game today - and I did, 1G, 4A in a 9-5 win! It felt awesome, the whole team played great and we really started to gel. Of course with 51 seconds left in the game this happened

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

I tried on the different glove fits that Bauer makes and didn't like any of them.. they put pressure in weird spots.

Strange, I've only used Bauer gloves and never felt they felt weird. I'm not too sure I like the fit of the 4-rolls (now Nexus line I think) and I was thinking about trying the Vapor line. I hear a ton of good things about Eagle gloves. Anyone know what fits would be similar to the Bauer Vapor line?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I think Eagles are most popular for the quality. I bought a pair of Eagles a year and a half ago or so and they're still in excellent condition, practically brand new. I could of course be talking out of my rear end though because I'm speaking from limited anecdotal experience so there's that. But I like my Eagles--they fit nice and didn't shred apart within 6 months like the piece of poo poo Warrior gloves I bought. (On this topic, I'm starting to really hate Warrior in general. The quality of their products usually blows.)

My brother has a pair of 12k Reeboks (pretty sure that's what they are) and they fit like, well, a glove. I'd try those, too.

Gio fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 4, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

Strange, I've only used Bauer gloves and never felt they felt weird. I'm not too sure I like the fit of the 4-rolls (now Nexus line I think) and I was thinking about trying the Vapor line. I hear a ton of good things about Eagle gloves. Anyone know what fits would be similar to the Bauer Vapor line?

To clarify, the classic 4-rolls (nexus) I like just fine. The tapered (vapor) or anatomical (supreme) ones they're making just feel weird.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

To clarify, the classic 4-rolls (nexus) I like just fine. The tapered (vapor) or anatomical (supreme) ones they're making just feel weird.

I'm the opposite, the 4-rolls feel like they are going to fall off of my hands while the other builds feel more secure to me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, that's how I need them because when a dude comes flying at me with his fists I gotta be able to react, you know?

Instructional league is loving hardcore.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I abhor the stretchy almost mesh material Bauer seems to be using for their finger gussets.

Still looking for a pair of Eagle H34s in black. I saw a similar pair on eBay but the person emailed the buyer and bought them directly.

Also putting together a 10 person 5v5 team. If you want the ice time you gotta pay the premium!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've decided that my 4 rolls are actually too big for me because I actually have had them fall off a couple times. Actually, if anyone wants to buy some used but not broken or gross Bauer 4-roll pro's in 14" that would give me a good excuse to buy new ones that fit. Though now I see that Bauer has renamed them something stupid and raised the price.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Thufir posted:

I've decided that my 4 rolls are actually too big for me because I actually have had them fall off a couple times. Actually, if anyone wants to buy some used but not broken or gross Bauer 4-roll pro's in 14" that would give me a good excuse to buy new ones that fit. Though now I see that Bauer has renamed them something stupid and raised the price.

How much and what color?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Registration for the next session of the instructional league just opened up, and they've stated they're capping it to ten teams under the thinking that they'll get enough registrants for 11-13 teams. Rosters are 13 plus goalie.

Say what you want about their teaching techniques but they're attracting a lot of old fat guys who want to play some hockey. :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Eagle gloves own. Used mine for about 2 years before the stitching on the palms started coming undone and I had about 3 fingers and a thumb sticking through them. Found a nice pair of Vapors that look like huge green Hulk hands on sale locally and grabbed those.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Verman posted:

How much and what color?

I dunno, $70 shipped? They're "limited edition black and silver". If you're interested I can take pics when I get home.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Ughhh I need to get my skates baked and first time sharpened today.

Always forget how expensive all that is. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It will likely still be cheaper than buying them retail where they would do this for free.