Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's space for female characters that turn out to not be very useful (just like male characters). It's a problem with writing when all the female characters are useless/actively make things worse with their presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
e: nevermind

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 4, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Alchenar posted:

There's space for female characters that turn out to not be very useful (just like male characters). It's a problem with writing when all the female characters are useless/actively make things worse with their presence.

I think most other women on the show are not useless? Michonne and Sasha are straight up badass.

I'm still bummed over Carol leaving because I really liked how she had progressed from incompetent women to being useful.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I think most other women on the show are not useless? Michonne and Sasha are straight up badass.

I'm still bummed over Carol leaving because I really liked how she had progressed from incompetent women to being useful.

I'm fairly certain we'll see more of her this season. Especially with Rick's speech about how they all can come back from the terrible things they've done.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Think back to Season 2 (the context for the discussion).

e: likewise the show has progressed from literally having a token black guy hanging around and saying/doing nothing to having multiple black characters who have actual depth and their own stories.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Carol's still on the show and I would have to think will be back very soon.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
When people say that "nothing happened", it makes me wonder what the gently caress they expect from it. It's a show about people trying to survive a zombie apocalypse. Do they really just want non-stop zombie attacks, without showing any character development or interaction? Does nothing register unless the episode involves buckets of blood, gore, and gunfire?

As somebody who has watched this show from the beginning, and pretty much thought it was complete poo poo from the get-go, I'm pretty amazed at how good this season has been so far and am actually really excited to see what's going to happen.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I'm fairly certain we'll see more of her this season. Especially with Rick's speech about how they all can come back from the terrible things they've done.
Yeah me too. I meant I'm just upset that she's not a part of the crew anymore. I'm just really glad she didn't join up with the governor.

Alchenar posted:

Think back to Season 2 (the context for the discussion).

e: likewise the show has progressed from literally having a token black guy hanging around and saying/doing nothing to having multiple black characters who have actual depth and their own stories.

Oh ok, yeah that makes sense than, sorry.

But yeah, I do like that the line up is pretty diverse. I really hope Michonne gets more fleshed out soon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That was like one of the maybe two good episodes this season. Things of consequence finally happened!
At the beginning, I wasn't onboard with this season. I felt like nothing was happening too.

But come on. Out of the 8 episodes that have aired so far from Season 4, at least half of them were good. Even I'll admit that.

The last 4 were good for sure, from when the infection starts to really tear apart the prison to the reappearance of The Governor and all of his plotlines from the burning of Woodbury to him killing Martinez with a golf club...all of that was interesting and genuinely good character development unlike what the show had been doing earlier on. And then everything really went to hell in the mid season finale, so that was gripping to watch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This season has improved a lot in many areas. But I still can't take Andrew Lincoln's dramatic acting style of hunching over and cocking his head sideways like a dog. Otherwise, just about all of the new character additions have been good. I will admit my first thought when seeing The Governor was "gently caress I thought we were done with this guy," but his story did end up being somewhat interesting.

The thing that gets me the most though is people on the internet trying to compare this to Game of Thrones. Truthfully the only shocking death on this show so far has been T-Dog. Major character deaths on Game of Thrones are a punch in the balls, while on this show you get a feeling of "thank god we can finally move on."

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Major character deaths on Game of Thrones are a punch in the balls, while on this show you get a feeling of "thank god we can finally move on."

I'm sorry that you didn't think Hershel was the best... because he was.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I liked Hershel, but it didn't really hit me. I don't know, I felt more for the little girl who dug up a zombie.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

The thing that gets me the most though is people on the internet trying to compare this to Game of Thrones. Truthfully the only shocking death on this show so far has been T-Dog. Major character deaths on Game of Thrones are a punch in the balls, while on this show you get a feeling of "thank god we can finally move on."

I agree with the distinction. In Game of Thrones, even as the bodies hit the floor, we have this distant glimmer of hope that Westeros will return to peace and a proper ruler will restore order. That's a future we want our heroes to fight to live in.

In TWD the deaths are an end in and of themselves, a dead-end dramatically that seems to be the writers' trump card. The show is "shocking" for killing people whose only choice left is whether to live or die in a world that doesn't seem worth living in. But I'm not sure what the answer is, since a cure has been ruled out.

Edit: To expand a little bit more, consider the way the show's deaths are counted. We look at the number of "original" characters and say "Oh, we're down to six, oh, we're down to five." I feel like this is the audience trying to create a through-line where none exists. We assume that if we start with these characters that their living has a bigger story to tell and there's an inherent arc to their survival. But the longer this show goes on, and when we're aiming for ten seasons of this show, it seems an inevitability that we'll end up with a completely different cast of characters by the end.

And if that's the case, why not just go with the vignette stories, American Horror story style? One season per survivor group? Find a story and tell it, then move on. The show is too far down this other path already, but dramatically that seems more interesting. Hopefully the back half of season 4 will follow through with that style.

Cocoa Ninja fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 4, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I liked Hershel, but it didn't really hit me. I don't know, I felt more for the little girl who dug up a zombie.

How can you not be emotional ravaged by the loss of spaghetti tuesdays on wednesdays?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I kinda wish they started the whole Governor arc at the beginning of the season rather than shoehorning it all into two back to back episodes.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I'd love to see a short story of a few episodes following another survivor or camp, only for them to grimly segue into the main cast, a la Running Side Of The Road Guy or the National Guard camp.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
The way Rick shouts "Carl" will never not be hilarious. Completely kills the tone for me every single time.

edit: Also, what the hell was up with Bob (? the alcoholic medic) looking like he was about to snipe the Gov with that bigass scope Daryl handed him. Like it was a moderately long shot with a discussion about whether Bob was a good shot and all, and then the show did absolutely nothing with it. The episode had a ton of problems but that was kind of an odd one. Seems like they could have cut it completely.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 4, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I assumed he was saying "are you good?" to mean "are you drunk?"

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 4, 2013

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

No, T-Dog was the best. Glenn said so in the episode in which T-Dog died.

Which was also the only episode he got any characterization at all, and much of it was posthumous.

This is a better show than it used to be.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Surlaw posted:

I assumed he was saying "are you good?" to mean "are you drunk?"

This is what happened. Daryl wasn't asking if Bob was good with a gun, he was asking if he was ok, as in not drunk off his rear end. Last time they talked (basically if not literally) Daryl was all up in his face mad dogging him over the booze.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

He's good alright. Just killed and skinned some rats good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Full Fathoms Five posted:

The way Rick shouts "Carl" will never not be hilarious. Completely kills the tone for me every single time.

The episode also had everyones favorite line.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

One of the big differences is AMC's previews/promos that can be summed up as "THIS WEEK ON WALKING DEAD: ONE OF THE MAIN CAST WILL DIE!"

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

etalian posted:

The episode also had everyones favorite line.

Which one?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Why? She had literally no character development and was dumb as a brick.

"MOOOMMY CAN YOU HELP ME DIG A HOLE?"

It was as if she hadn't gotten attacked by a zombie just one episode ago.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

"Where's Carl?!"
- literally everyone involved in that boys life.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spiteski posted:

"Where's Carl?!"
- literally everyone involved in that boys life.

it's the the reliable choice for the walking dead bingo drinking game.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
After rewatching I'm even more certain Judith is alive. There isn't a drop of blood outside the carriage, there's a smear on the handle and then more blood on the cloth and that's it. Given that there's no blood outside it looks exactly like someone with bloodied hands picked her up. That probably leaves Michonne out because last time we saw her her hands were clean. Daryl/Beth maybe?

e: I like the character of Carl but that kid ain't no Al Pacino.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
I'm guessing that one of the kids went back to pick up Judith. After Lizzie shoots the Governor's people, the two kids behind her run away. Then Lizzie and Micah follow them and Tyreese yells "Hey! We go that way!" and points in the other direction. They had probably stashed her somewhere close and were going back to get her.

Now whether or not someone else got her first is the real question. I'm going to predict that Tara took her when she wandered off. She'll meet-up with Lilly again, who in her grief will see Judith as a replacement daughter. Then when Rick discovers his baby is still alive there'll be a tense stand-off when Lilly isn't willing to give her back.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Tin Miss posted:

I'm going to predict that Tara took her when she wandered off. She'll meet-up with Lilly again, who in her grief will see Judith as a replacement daughter. Then when Rick discovers his baby is still alive there'll be a tense stand-off when Lilly isn't willing to give her back.

Neither of them really got into the prison before Rick and Carl found the empty car seat. Tara specifically walked away from the prison after the first grenade.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Maybe I was mistaking the pain of how stupid it was for emotion? I think that's how this show works. Or maybe it was a point of no return for the governor going full retard. Hershel's death was just so projected.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't that the intent three episodes ago with a gun pointed at him before the fade?

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
I just watched the finale. It had some issues, but overall I think it was really entertaining.

I know someone mentioned it awhile ago, but I really hope the second half of this season has one episode focusing on each group (and maybe one focusing on Carol too). It would be a perfect way to develop a bunch of characters or even introduce a few new ones in the second half of the season.

In the last few episodes they start finding each other and some event leads up to whatever the finale will be.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tin Miss posted:

I'm going to predict that Tara took her when she wandered off. She'll meet-up with Lilly again, who in her grief will see Judith as a replacement daughter. Then when Rick discovers his baby is still alive there'll be a tense stand-off when Lilly isn't willing to give her back.

Tara and Lilly alone with a baby would be snacks inside of half an hour. I have more faith in the kids all by themselves.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

enraged_camel posted:

On top of seeing mud zombies a short time earlier as well. Jaws came out when I was around that age. It was a movie and I was afraid of taking baths for weeks afterward. But there she is, playing and digging in mud.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

The fact that mommy let her sit waaaaay far away in the mud down by the river, right after seeing a zombie try to B-line it across the river makes her fully retarded. Kids and babies in this show are the worst. I'm not looking forward to some story arc where everyone tries to find lil asskicker or bargain for her from some hostile group.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

hollylolly posted:

This is what happened. Daryl wasn't asking if Bob was good with a gun, he was asking if he was ok, as in not drunk off his rear end. Last time they talked (basically if not literally) Daryl was all up in his face mad dogging him over the booze.

I thought Daryl said "Are we good?" meaning, are we OK after I got in your face about trying to sneak out the booze? Didn't want Bob to shoot him in the back, you know?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Omne posted:

I thought Daryl said "Are we good?" meaning, are we OK after I got in your face about trying to sneak out the booze? Didn't want Bob to shoot him in the back, you know?

No he's definitely saying "Are you fit to fight?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Yeah I thought it meant are you good to fight right now.

And that woman was a fuckin moron. I hated that kid though, so I was alright with that.

• Locked thread