Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Carcassonne dropped in price for the first time maybe ever. I've never played before, but it's in my wish list for some reason. $7 is still kind of steep, but is it worth it for a very casual gamer?

It's been one of the very best iOS games for like four years running, definitely get it. And then play with goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star Command is also on sale, I believe.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Thanks to someone here cluing me in to what gems do in Junk Jack X (though I still ain't found evidence of a fall damage nullifier) I've found an easy way to descend or ascend a mine shaft without an excess of ladders.

If you set a cut topaz into your armour you can breathe underwater. Get some tools to dig through anything you'll need to, find a surface water source and dig straight down from there.
Being underwater should give you a little light to work with so whenever you see an opening below you, swim up slightly (only so much that your feet aren't touching the block under you) and dig through and the flow will safely go past you and you avoiding taking fall damage.

Onward to planet 3!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Carcassonne dropped in price for the first time maybe ever. I've never played before, but it's in my wish list for some reason. $7 is still kind of steep, but is it worth it for a very casual gamer?

It has some single player options outside of just playing with AI (weekly and random challenges), so that's definitely a plus.
Its also one of the most polished board game adaptions I have played as far as interface goes.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Space Hulk is out in the Hong Kong store, it being early morning on the 5th here. Downloading right now, but it's 1.9 GB so I'm going to have to download it on my Mac and transfer it across because goddamn it's getting difficult to install stuff directly to a 16 GB device these days.

Will have a trip report later, for people who want to know what they get for $10. I'm well aware of the criticisms that were levelled against the PC version, but it's Space Hulk and I don't mind a little clunk if I get to play that game again with some eye candy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Corridor posted:

Welp, it seems the latest Pixel People update has a bunch of cool features, including sharing premium upgrades, which I can't access because I don't know anyone on FB who plays. So I made a fake FB account to use for all the drat games that keep demanding I have one.

Any goons who also use real/fake FB profiles for games pls add me :)

https://www.facebook.com/castigious.pimms

Sure, don't have anyone who plays this on my Fakebook account yet. If you accept a friend request off Derek Aardvark, that'd be great, thanks.

No idea where these reindeer are though. Found one by complete accident poking around in the second secret animal display though. Dunno if I set that off or if it was just coincidence though.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Edit: Nevermind

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 5, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Space Hulk is out in the Hong Kong store, it being early morning on the 5th here. Downloading right now, but it's 1.9 GB so I'm going to have to download it on my Mac and transfer it across because goddamn it's getting difficult to install stuff directly to a 16 GB device these days.

Will have a trip report later, for people who want to know what they get for $10. I'm well aware of the criticisms that were levelled against the PC version, but it's Space Hulk and I don't mind a little clunk if I get to play that game again with some eye candy.

Interested in it but please god tell me it has cloud saving.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Has anyone had a chance to try Blek yet? It looks like it could either be a bit fussy or really smooth and intuitive.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I'm in the market for a good skateboarding game. I'm eyeing both True Skate and Touchgrind Skate 2; has anyone who's played either/both of these give some impressions?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Ugh, Space Hulk expands to 3.37 GB when installed. I need to delete more stuff.

It's strange, file sizes like this on my Vita don't faze me at all, but I guess it's because all the storage space I have is for games and I want those games to be as big as possible so they are as beautiful and rich as possible. On iPad the same game, at the same size, eats into space that needs to be shared for my music, photos, serious apps etc.

God drat I need to get back to having 64 GB+ of space.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Khablam posted:

What Dark said. Your ROI is linear and proportional to the initial size of the stock, so throwing bux to make 10 turn into 11 is pretty much pointless when you could be making 500 into 550.

Basically just ignore those levels and only bother stocking them incidentally. Chuck your bux at your 5000 stock x 3 dream-jobber levels to receive the highest payback when you've left the game alone 12 hours and it's still selling.

Also, what happens when you have built all the level designs, does it loop?

I thought a upgrade was universally like 1 item no matter the floor. I've upgraded the workout center and cafe both like 11 times through upgrades. I need to get those into actually useful floors from now on. :(

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
iPhone/Touch and iPad versions of Bejeweled are free right now.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

And have annoying ads it would seem.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is Star Command worth a buck?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

And have annoying ads it would seem.
I'm pleasantly surprised that ad removal seems to be the only IAP.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

I played the game when it was first released. Not worth $2.99 I paid for. Hell, I don't think it's even worth $1. Take the $1 and put it towards a good game on Steam. Take a look at Faster Than Light.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

If you don't have an ipad for FTL and you don't expect a very deep experience then yeah, you can get $1 worth of enjoyment out of it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Al Baron posted:

iPhone/Touch and iPad versions of Bejeweled are free right now.

With all the awesome match 3 games that exist these days, I don't much see the point in bejeweled anymore.

Edit: phone posting

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 5, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Blek is very fun, original, and well made.

http://appshopper.com/games/blek

That is all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Just switched phones, a ton of my game save progress in various titles didn't carry over. Tiny Death Star among them. If it's easy (since I have the old version of the game which isn't totally screwed) can I move the save from the old phone to the new somehow? if not, whatever.

I'd also like to know the process in general since there are a lot of apps I haven't relaunched yet on the new device. I imagine it's something like [iphone explorer software -> copy -> paste] but ???

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You want something called ifunbox to copy stuff to and from your phone's data directories.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
So Space Hulk is pretty good so far. It looks remarkably similar to the PC version, so I guess you could refer to TotalBiscuit's video and that's pretty much what you get on iPad. Chunky animated Space Marines waddling down corridors, an XCOM-style action cam for attacks, and backgrounds that are surprisingly good looking.

A few small caveats. I'm on iPad mini, and while it looks good the UI is pretty small so you need some precise taps to select stuff. It's not immediately obvious which things are buttons and which are not. The map doesn't have analogue free rotate like Warhammer Quest (and why the gently caress not?) but rotates between four fixed angles like in XCOM. You do get analogue zoom at least, plus a button toggles a simple tactical map to show the entire board which is necessary as on larger maps you'd need the wider view to double check things. Rotating the standard view is down by swiping left or right with two fingers, not the standard iOS twist with two fingers. Why? gently caress knows.

The really cool shoulder cam views seem to be absent, and Pocket Tactics had reported the dev as saying these had been included in the iOS version. Not sure if they pulled them last minute, or if that's a restriction due to running on an OG mini.

I'm liking it so far. It's a little clunky, a little chunky, and goddamn that 3.4 GB filesize is painful. It's definitely Space Hulk though. Will have to spend more time with it to see if the Genestealer AI is as dumb as it was in the PC version at launch, but so far I'm not regretting the $10. I was a huge Space Hulk fan already though, so bear that in mind.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

McDragon posted:

Sure, don't have anyone who plays this on my Fakebook account yet. If you accept a friend request off Derek Aardvark, that'd be great, thanks.

No idea where these reindeer are though. Found one by complete accident poking around in the second secret animal display though. Dunno if I set that off or if it was just coincidence though.

Added. And I got Rudolph by tagging santa when he swooshed by overhead.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone picking up "The Wolf Among Us" by telltale games? Great reviews for the steam version.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tuyop posted:

How's terraria on the iphone?

Personally I found it unplayable on both iPhone and iPad

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone picking up "The Wolf Among Us" by telltale games? Great reviews for the steam version.

It's a 5 episode game and only episode 1 is currently out. It could turn out to be fantastic but I'd probably wait, even if you buy it now you can barely get started on the story.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Apparently it's pretty much spoiled re: the criminals etc if you have read the comics. Probably still good though.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
I've heard good things about KingHunt which is out today. It's the guys behind Minigore and Bike Baron doing their take on Fruit Ninja. I've played for about half an hour and it seems solid and well presented, i'm still occasionally whipping out Fruit Ninja even now because I find the interaction really satisfying so anything that is that +1 is going to resonate with me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Looks like the Hong Kong store has an older build of Space Hulk. I watched a video on the TA forums and there is supposed to be a 3 mission tutorial and the shoulder cams, both of which are missing in my version. There may be other improvements I am missing too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
So, y'all have gotten me back into trying to finish ToF, since I stopped the last time I died on the bridge. Now I'm quite over equipped/leveled, and gently caress is it expensive to unlock halo. I've already got the 3 drat keys, but I have to spend ~22000 also? When even on the 0 cost level the bosses spawn at over 250 health, am I just supposed to click the sheep over and over again until I hit that dollar amount? Cause I'm at a little less than 6k.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Good reviews.

Episode 1 will drop to free eventually, once a few other episodes are out, though. That system went very well for them with zombies, they'll follow suit with this one too.

Ota_Himuro
Jan 13, 2008

A wild SANDBREAD appears!
Regarding AC -Pirates: Don't get it if you're expecting the seafaring parts of AC4 in a mobile game. It's moren like Warpgate in that there is an extremely barebones "battle mode" you get locked into when engaging enemy ships, in which you cannot steer your ship, only keep pressing 'Attack' and 'Dodge' buttons (the way dodge looks and works is also unbelievably idiotic for age of sail ships).
Oh and they butchered up the shanties so it's more like sometimes an awkward crewmember starts to sing then just peters out when he forgets the lines (all the songs so far cut-off mid-way)

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

I love Terraria but goddamn do I ever hates these iOS touch controls. :argh:

On an unrelated note, is there a goon group playing Galaxy on Fire: Alliances? I'm not sure about the game yet, but it sure is pretty. There are a few mentions of it within the last few pages, but nothing collaborative. I'm okay with the long timers that might frustrate some people; my gamer polarity has been reversing lately and I've been digging FtP games that I can fiddle with for a couple minutes then go about my day (i.e., DragonVale and poo poo).

Goons on Fire

beeman
May 7, 2008

can anyone rec a good game for a regular rear end guy whom likes ziggurat, super hexagon and tiny wings

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

beeman posted:

can anyone rec a good game for a regular rear end guy whom likes ziggurat, super hexagon and tiny wings

Tilt to live 2?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

beeman posted:

Ridiculous Fishing

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

tuyop posted:

Tilt to live 2?

Game of the year. Everyone should try it, it's iPhone gaming done right.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I felt this appropriate for this thread: https://vine.co/v/hxrzVeMjhFi

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Thank you for this, it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Pretty much me. It takes me no time to buy a 360 game or season pass for it but new iPhone game for $5 feels like I'm deciding on a mortgage.

• Locked thread